[✔️] August 16, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Jason Box Greenland, Jame Hansen, Beckwith reviewing, Montana Youth win court case, 2013 MSNBC missed-information

Wed Aug 16 09:31:22 EDT 2023

/*August  16*//*, 2023*/

/[ Jason Box is a great ice scientist --- here is his important new
video on Greenland - new science views ]/
*climate wildcard - Greenland melt lakes*
Jason Box
Aug 15, 2023
visit https://www.sila.cool/book-faster-than-forecast/  to obtain the
book chapters that this video supports
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4fz7Dc5vRs

/[ "James Hansen does crucial work"]/
*Uh-Oh. Now What? Are We Acquiring the Data to Understand the Situation?*
James Hansen, Makiko Sato and Reto Ruedy

    Abstract. Global temperature in June and July (Fig. 1) shot far
    above the prior records for
    those months for the 140 years of good instrumental data. Early
    indications are that warming
    exceeds expectation based on only the long-term trend due to
    increasing greenhouse gases
    (GHGs) plus the emerging El Nino. Three additional mechanisms will
    have a near-term
    effect, with a result that the 12-month mean global temperature
    likely will pierce the 1.5°C
    warming level before this time next year. Uncertainties in present
    analyses draw attention to
    the inadequacy of and the precarious state of crucial global
    observations.

http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2023/UhOh.14August2023.pdf

- -

/[ Beckwith reads from Hansen's latest work --YouTube video
https://youtu.be/E-YobPD8D_E]/
*Why we should expect Global Warming to Skyrocket during next 1.5 years:
The Scary Science*
Paul Beckwith
Aug 15, 2023
James Hansen is arguably the giant of all climate scientists. I was very
fortunate to meet him a few years ago at a COP climate conference, and
chat with him on a CEF (Climate Emergency Forum) video.

He has just published a new paper on updates on the climate system:
http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailing...

This paper is vitally important in giving us a clear picture of what we
can expect in the next few years.

A confluence of factors is driving up global average temperatures of the
atmosphere and oceans and we can expect warming and climate extremes to
notch up to much higher record setting levels.

We ain’t seen nothing yet. We are only getting a taste this summer of
what is to come in the next year or two.

1) Average global temperatures trended upwards at 0.18 degrees C per
decade before 2010. With less aerosol forcing, since 2010 to now it has
risen between 0.27 and 0.36 degrees C (this was all in the previous
paper “Global Warming in the Pipeline”)

2) We can expect an additional rise from El Niño; it is really just
getting started. A super El Niño will easily drive global average
temperatures well above 1.5 C perhaps later this year but highly
probably for 2024. El Niño is much more powerfully warming the planet in
the year after it starts, so in 2024 since it started this year.

3) Solar irradiation is peaking soon, and basically adds a forcing of
+0.1 W per m**2 on top of everything else.

4) We are missing a vast area of sea ice around Antarctica, but
Antarctica is still in its winter darkness. Come Fall and Winter for
Northern Hemisphere dwellers, the sun rises in the Southern Hemisphere
and the huge extra area of dark open ocean around Antarctica will absorb
huge amounts of extra sunlight.

5) The Earth Energy Imbalance was 0.6 W or m**2 ten years ago (400,000
Hiroshima bombs a day) but is now 1.22 W per m**2 (more than double;
namely 800,000 Hiroshima bombs per day).

It is already rapidly rising and the additional effects listed above
will greatly accelerate the rise.

As a result of this unfortunate confluence of events, we can expect the
global climate turmoil in the last few months to substantially worsen.
When it does, expect the media and mainstream scientists and politicians
to espouse their excuses and concerns, but none of that matters if they
do not slash fossil fuels.

Last week Lahaina in Hawaii was incinerated and 1400 people are still
missing (I think they have returned to ashes and dust), and just today
90-95% of the town of Enterprise in Canada’s Northwest Territories has
incinerated. Global floods are ongoing, heatwaves are killing countless
people, and global governments just don’t give a damn, since they are
subsidizing fossil fuels at record high levels.

And the world goes on, at least for most people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-YobPD8D_E

/[Montana Youth prevail -- but the Legislature must act ]/
[The Associated Press }
*Judge sides with young activists in first-of-its-kind climate change
trial in Montana*
August 14, 2023
HELENA, Mont. — A Montana judge on Monday sided with young environmental
activists who said state agencies were violating their constitutional
right to a clean and healthful environment by permitting fossil fuel
development without considering its effect on the climate.

The ruling following a first-of-its- kind trial in the U.S. adds to a
small number of legal decisions around the world that have established a
government duty to protect citizens from climate change.

In a first, a youth climate lawsuit is being heard in a court in Montana
District Court Judge Kathy Seeley found the policy the state uses in
evaluating requests for fossil fuel permits — which does not allow
agencies to evaluate the effects of greenhouse gas emissions — is
unconstitutional.

Judge Seeley wrote in the ruling that "Montana's emissions and climate
change have been proven to be a substantial factor in causing climate
impacts to Montana's environment and harm and injury" to the youth.
However, it's up to the state Legislature to determine how to bring the
policy into compliance. That leaves slim chances for immediate change in
a fossil fuel-friendly state where Republicans dominate the statehouse.

Julia Olson, an attorney representing the youth, released a statement
calling the ruling a "huge win for Montana, for youth, for democracy,
and for our climate."...

"As fires rage in the West, fueled by fossil fuel pollution, today's
ruling in Montana is a game-changer that marks a turning point in this
generation's efforts to save the planet from the devastating effects of
human-caused climate chaos," said Olson, the executive director of Our
Children's Trust, an Oregon environmental group that has filed similar
lawsuits in every state since 2011.

Emily Flower, spokesperson for Montana Attorney General Austin Knudsen,
decried the ruling as "absurd" and said the office planned to appeal.
She criticized Seeley for allowing the plaintiffs to put on what Flower
called a "taxpayer-funded publicity stunt."

"Montanans can't be blamed for changing the climate," Flower said in an
email. "Their same legal theory has been thrown out of federal court and
courts in more than a dozen states. It should have been here as well,
but they found an ideological judge who bent over backward to allow the
case to move forward and earn herself a spot in their next documentary."..

Attorneys for the 16 plaintiffs, ranging in age from 5 to 22, presented
evidence during the two-week trial in June that increasing carbon
dioxide emissions are driving hotter temperatures, more drought and
wildfires and decreased snowpack.

The plaintiffs said those changes were harming their mental and physical
health, with wildfire smoke choking the air they breathe and drought
drying out rivers that sustain agriculture, fish, wildlife and
recreation. Native Americans testifying for the plaintiffs said climate
change affects their ceremonies and traditional food sources.

"I know that climate change is a global issue, but Montana needs to take
responsibility for our part," lead plaintiff Rikki Held, 22, testified
during the trial. "You can't just blow it off and do nothing about it."

The state argued that even if Montana completely stopped producing C02,
it would have no effect on a global scale because states and countries
around the world contribute to the amount of C02 in the atmosphere. A
remedy has to offer relief, the state said, or it's not a remedy at all.

But Seeley said the state's attorneys failed to give a compelling reason
for why they were not evaluating greenhouse gas impacts. She rejected
the notion that Montana's greenhouse gas emissions are insignificant and
noted that renewable power is "technically feasible and economically
beneficial," citing testimony from the trial indicating Montana could
replace 80% of existing fossil fuel energy by 2030.

"Every additional ton of GHG (greenhouse gas) emissions exacerbates
plaintiffs' injuries and risks locking in irreversible climate
injuries," she wrote.

State officials tried to derail the case and prevent it from going to
trial through numerous motions to dismiss the lawsuit. Seeley rejected
those attempts.

Since its founding, Our Children's Trust has raised more than $20
million to press its lawsuits in state and federal court. No previous
attempts reached trial.

Carbon dioxide, which is released when fossil fuels are burned, traps
heat in the atmosphere and is largely responsible for the warming of the
climate. This spring, carbon dioxide levels in the air reached the
highest levels they've been in over 4 million years, the National
Oceanic Atmospheric Administration said earlier this month.

Greenhouse gas emissions also reached a record high last year, according
to the International Energy Agency.

July was the hottest month on record globally and likely the warmest
that human civilization has seen, according to scientists.
https://www.npr.org/2023/08/14/1193780700/montana-climate-change-trial-ruling

/[The news archive - looking back at a new genre of information
battles"  how MSNBC quickly lost track of this "missed-information" ]/
/*August 16, 2013*/
August 16, 2013: The climate documentary "The Politics of Power" airs
for the first, last and only time on MSNBC.

    *MSNBC's 'Missing' Climate Change Documentary Finally Found! (Sort Of)*
    Chris Hayes' special quietly made available 'On Demand'...
    By BRAD FRIEDMAN on 10/2/2013, 12:04pm PT
    In late August, climate hawk and too-occasional BRAD BLOG
    contributor D.R. Tucker reported how MSNBC's August 16th Chris Hayes
    hosted documentary on climate change and the global warming denial
    industry, was nowhere to be found online. Unlike previous docs from
    the cable net, this one had not made available online after its
    initial airing.

    Despite our best efforts at the time to receive an explanation from
    MSNBC or Chris Hayes or the producers of his nightly prime-time
    show, All In (which produced and presented the doc during their
    normal hour), as to why the special had not been posted online,
    several weeks went by and we received no response...

http://www.bradblog.com/?p=10284

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli