[✔️] August 25, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Debate misinformation, Cost of delay 5x, Tipping points closer, Hayhoe positivism, Not doomed, 2004 political oppression

Fri Aug 25 07:20:56 EDT 2023

/*August  25*//*, 2023*/

/[ Who? - Republican display debates  ] /
*Vivek Ramaswamy calls climate change agenda a ‘hoax’ during debate*
2024 ELECTIONS
“More people are dying of bad climate change policies than they are of
actual climate change,” he said.
By KELLY GARRITY
08/23/2023

GOP candidates during the first Republican debate argued over climate
change, with Vivek Ramaswamy calling the agenda over the issue a hoax.

“I’m the only candidate on stage who isn’t bought and paid for, so I can
say this — the climate change agenda is a hoax,” he said.

“And so the reality is more people are dying of bad climate change
policies than they are of actual climate change,” he added.

Ramaswamy’s remarks were booed by the crowd, and slammed by former New
Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who compared to the entrepreneur to ChatGPT
and former President Barack Obama.

The question stared when Fox moderator Martha MacCallum asked: “Do you
believe in human behavior causing climate change? Raise your hand if you
do.”

Before anyone could make a move, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis took the floor.

“We are not schoolchildren. Let’s have the debate,” DeSantis said,
before launching into a response bashing Biden and the media.

Former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, meanwhile, called for China and
India to cut emissions.

“First of all, we do care about clean air, clean water. We want to see
that taken care of, but there is a right way to do it. The right way is
first of all, yes, is climate change real? Yes, it is. But if you want
to go and really change the environment, we need to start telling China
and India that they have to lower their emissions.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/23/candidates-clash-over-climate-change-00112637

/[ Cost of delay, keeping the same goal, now 5 times the price ]/
Published: 23 August 2023
*Adjusting 1.5 degree C climate change mitigation pathways in light of
adverse new information*
Ajay Gambhir, Shivika Mittal, Robin D. Lamboll, Neil Grant, Dan Bernie,
Laila Gohar, Adam Hawkes, Alexandre Köberle, Joeri Rogelj & Jason A. Lowe
Nature Communications volume 14, Article number: 5117 (2023) Cite this
article
520 Accesses
42 Altmetric
Metricsdetails

    Abstract
    Understanding how 1.5 °C pathways could adjust in light of new
    adverse information, such as a reduced 1.5 °C carbon budget, or
    slower-than-expected low-carbon technology deployment, is critical
    for planning resilient pathways. We use an integrated assessment
    model to explore potential pathway adjustments starting in 2025 and
    2030, following the arrival of new information. The 1.5 °C target
    remains achievable in the model, in light of some adverse
    information, provided a broad portfolio of technologies and measures
    is still available. If multiple pieces of adverse information arrive
    simultaneously, average annual emissions reductions near 3 GtCO2/yr
    for the first five years following the pathway adjustment, compared
    to 2 GtCO2/yr in 2020 when the Covid-19 pandemic began. Moreover, in
    these scenarios of multiple simultaneous adverse information, by
    2050 mitigation costs are 4-5 times as high as a no adverse
    information scenario, highlighting the criticality of developing a
    wide range of mitigation options, including energy demand reduction
    options.

/[ video-  reading a scientific paper on tipping points ]/
*Climate Tipping Points get Inexorably Closer*
Paul Beckwith
Aug 18, 2023
A recent report on climate tipping points was published by the
Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). This
group of folks is not known for hyperbole or exaggeration, so when they
publish a report on climate change tipping point risks you better
believe that the risks are extremely concerning.

I chat about the extreme danger that humanity faces of crossing a
cascading number of tipping points as temperatures continue to notch up,
especially as discussed in my last video on James Hansen’s latest findings.

Humanity has its back to the wall on abrupt climate system change
whether it recognizes it or not, and clearly it does not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIRTtkId5-I

/[ Scientific optimism, religious science ]/
*We are not doomed*
Cutting fossil fuel subsidies, cities taking action, and how to find hope
KATHARINE HAYHOE
AUG 14, 2023
- -
The challenges we face are significant; but they are not insurmountable.
We still have the ability to change the future, starting now. And the
more we do, the better off we will all be. This is literally what the
science says: every bit of warming matters, and every action and every
choice matters, too.

That’s why I am not giving up, and neither are millions of others. I am
not accepting our current circumstances as the new normal. Throughout
the world, there are companies transitioning to green energy, voters
speaking up, governments making progress, and people fighting for
climate action. Yes, there are harrowing headlines; but there is also
good climate news all around us...
- -
As I share in my talks, we find hope in action. So here are some
concrete steps everyone can take. First, stop doom-scrolling. Seek out
and share positive news, along with information about how climate change
is putting the people and places we love at risk. Do something,
anything, even if you think it's small – but don’t stop there; tell
people about it! Encourage your place of work or school to make changes.
We can’t do this alone, but we can if we work together; so join a
like-minded community (I have a big list of them in my last newsletter).
No matter who you are right now, you’re the perfect person to act.

What happens when we understand what we can do to make a difference? As
you can see from the word cloud below, from after one of my talks,
people feel motivated, empowered, determined, and ready to go!...
https://www.talkingclimate.ca/p/we-are-not-doomed

- -

/[ Daily KOS opinion]/
*'We are not doomed,' but we will be if we keep stalling*
Meteor Blades, author
by Meteor Blades
Daily Kos Staff Emeritus (This content is not subject to review by Daily
Kos staff prior to publication.)
August 24, 2023
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/8/24/2189331/--We-are-not-doomed-but-we-will-be-if-we-keep-stalling

/[The news archive - looking back at early warning from Andy Revkin in
the NYTimes - we knew, ]/
/*August  25, 2004 */
August 25, 2004: The U.S. Climate Change Science Program releases the
report "Our Changing Planet: The U.S. Climate Change Science Program for
Fiscal Years 2004 and 2005."

http://web.archive.org/web/20041015135521/http://www.usgcrp.gov/usgcrp/Library/ocp2004-5/ocp2004-5.pdf

    *U.S. Report, in Shift, Turns Focus to Greenhouse Gases*

    By Andrew C. Revkin
    Aug. 26, 2004
    In a striking shift in the way the Bush administration has portrayed
    the science of climate change, a new report to Congress focuses on
    federal research indicating that emissions of carbon dioxide and
    other heat-trapping gases are the only likely explanation for global
    warming over the last three decades.

    In delivering the report to Congress yesterday, an administration
    official, Dr. James R Mahoney, said it reflected ''the best possible
    scientific information'' on climate change. Previously, President
    Bush and other officials had emphasized uncertainties in
    understanding the causes and consequences of warming as a reason for
    rejecting binding restrictions on heat-trapping gases.

    The report is among those submitted regularly to Congress as a
    summary of recent and planned federal research on shifting global
    conditions of all sorts. It also says the accumulating emissions
    pose newly identified risks to farmers, citing studies showing that
    carbon dioxide promotes the growth of invasive weeds far more than
    it stimulates crops and that it reduces the nutritional value of
    some rangeland grasses.

    American and international panels of experts concluded as early as
    2001 that smokestack and tailpipe discharges of heat-trapping gases
    were the most likely cause of recent global warming. But the White
    House had disputed those conclusions.
    The last time the administration issued a document suggesting that
    global warming had a human cause and posed big risks was in June
    2002, in a submission to the United Nations under a climate treaty.
    President Bush distanced himself from it, saying it was something
    ''put out by the bureaucracy.''

    That may be harder to do this time. The new report, online at
    www.climatescience.gov, is accompanied by a letter signed by Mr.
    Bush's secretaries of energy and commerce and his science adviser.

    The White House declined yesterday to explain the change in
    emphasis, referring reporters to Dr. Mahoney, assistant secretary of
    commerce for oceans and atmosphere and the director of government
    climate research...
    - -
    ''The Bush administration on the one hand isn't doing anything about
    the problem, but on the other hand can't deny the growing science
    behind global warming,'' said Jeremy Symons of the National Wildlife
    Federation...
    - -
    The studies in the report that point to a human cause for recent
    warming all involved supercomputer simulations of climate, which
    have increased in power over the last several years.

    The latest analysis, done at the National Center for Atmospheric
    Research in Boulder, Colo., found that natural shifts in the output
    of the sun and other factors were responsible for the warming from
    1900 to 1950, but could not explain the sharp and continuing rise
    since 1970...

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/26/science/26climate.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/26/us/us-report-in-shift-turns-focus-to-greenhouse-gases.html?unlocked_article_code=kvqtYGvP81Y0hBrxYoi0LZFsyWPJhS6-2kZlgaS9gT8vEYaGm7SRykNaDzDmHkg_PYVGzuNaF7VuWmm8xb97wIj9AS1-HW38srIOk7ejPLV8p8y-BUgd7KhZjblzsUkf1byVXkrIoVhtWf83z4UtTMixty9ackBB-phWwkAC5H5n4Y-ezC5Ytwxw5NvscWoGEMmJ8yF6c_hvAErvyQQjKI1cDiBnKsVllHD_z0NYbqTQNpURpgfs0OvUy88ymjudzsVH5MAibmoqsxijQGDgiUzR-2GuLADGywy45A2pLji-U2umXc3dkAcvhWTC7AduJwKOdXQBshFbwhbl69Ui7iz65BTVeEzZmSpKQLNjdrYG2mnlF4Vx&smid=url-share

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli