[✔️] August 27, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Hot August repeated, Emergency alerts, Watch Duty map, William Rees, Reading the study, GOP debate, 1989 empty words

Sun Aug 27 09:29:17 EDT 2023

/*August 27*//*, 2023*/

/[ "lessons not learned, will be repeated - and as conditions intensify" ]/
*Extreme August Arrives With a Warning: Expect More*
A mix of devastating wildfires, tropical storms, mudslides and heat
waves foreshadows a future of intensified extremes as the world warms.
By Somini Sengupta
Reporting from Los Angeles
Aug. 22, 2023
- -
“Twenty years from now, a summer like this is going to feel like a mild
summer,” said Daniel Swain, a climate scientist at the University of
California Los Angeles, in an online briefing Monday afternoon. “In
terms of incredibly frenetic pace of global extremes we are seeing this
summer, in terms of temperatures and precipitation, that’s only going to
get worse as the climate continues to warm.”...
- -
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/22/climate/tropical-storm-california-maui-fire-extreme-august.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/22/climate/tropical-storm-california-maui-fire-extreme-august.html?unlocked_article_code=kIAHtUZ3ARIMV6MXyc5YFDg07BlTLHlS1v-crBZI46jKkshuBDLnh5eZ61RlszCAWh5T4HuojubIg6-PK4SdUySq4bNqOzHypYwyQavANgv2K33zCS8gAU4VybJ3B87wzbGvMihk-wKb42Es-rooDMBrfCB50VeycVTaSFRcOs9XvslbKYXb4kjS1SWt4saHazr8KuBg2Swq3flZHu0EA2HpBy3OQxYqAG3M9XVTG70Ka95Z3Mnk5u1PXW1vJ_aCoOpBijvE_Yf0HL0rDg2jU20RXjZP0owzQMe-9ZemYj86ny1FzabBza70jv_qY1DMx0YBIpr7KzKLG3OBD7OIRfxFR0Iakarz6R89wDhwO-00ACSirvaokrWUEes&smid=url-share

/[ from Reuters ]/
*'We're all Maui': Climate change tests emergency alert systems across US*
By Brad Brooks and Julia Harte
August 26, 2023
- -
As climate change increases the ferocity and frequency of extreme
weather events, quickly warning the public of their arrival is more
important than ever. But authorities are finding existing emergency
alert systems insufficient for these new threats - sometimes with deadly
results.

"We're all living in the same state that Maui was in a month ago," said
Jeffrey Schlegelmilch, director of the National Center for Disaster
Preparedness at Columbia University's Climate School. "We're all living
in an environment that is exposed to increased hazards that we don't
fully understand."...
- -
Fires, storms, and other extreme weather events "aren't behaving the
same way," he said. They not only are bigger and faster moving, but are
cropping up in new places.

That can be especially dangerous in areas with emergency alert systems
narrowly tailored to the types of disaster that have historically
occurred there.

While each locality faces a distinctive threat landscape and needs a
unique warning system, disaster management experts see some solutions
that can be applied everywhere.

Instead of using "one-size-fits-all" warning systems, officials should
only use sirens when their meaning is clearly understood by the public,
in conjunction with notifications via TV, radio, phone call, and text
message, according to Schlegelmilch.

They can also lean more heavily on experts like those in the U.S.
National Weather Service to help track and predict fast-developing
natural disasters.

Since a new director took over last summer, the weather service has
started deploying its personnel directly into the offices of emergency
responders to hasten the sharing of their expertise during "severe
weather events," according to Bill Parker, the agency's meteorologist in
charge in Jackson, Mississippi.

Meteorologists can help officials decide how and when to warn the public
of potential disasters, according to Parker, by using metrics such as
wind speeds to calculate when a wildfire might reach a residential area.

Equally important is preparing the public to anticipate the types of
weather events that climate change might bring and make evacuation plans
before they occur, he said.

*TRIAL BY FIRE*
Working out of his office in Colorado's foothills, some 3,200 miles
(5,150 km) away from Maui, Boulder Office of Disaster Management
Director Mike Chard knows how quickly things can go wrong when natural
disasters strike.

Chard was at his post the morning of Dec. 30, 2021, when a wildfire
driven by hurricane-force winds broke out in a densely populated area
south of Boulder.

Boulder County had a network of sirens, but they were not used to warn
of wildfires where the fire erupted. Evacuation orders were slowed
because different officials had to approve them depending on the area.

Chard realized the system had to evolve "because of the type of hazards
we now have - they're 'no-notice' fast-developing disasters with a lot
of complexity and escalation to them and they cross jurisdictional lines."

Afterwards, he worked with other agencies to eliminate bureaucratic
choke points. Now any first responder on scene can demand that alerts be
sounded and evacuations ordered.

Officials also divided the eastern half of the county into numbered
zones so first responders can quickly tell dispatchers which areas to be
evacuated; the western part of Boulder County, where wildfires were
historically more common, had already been mapped out that way.

Boulder County's sirens can now be used for wildfires. They issue both
tones and spoken commands. The county also acquired a warning system
that can send alerts to cellphones, fixed phone lines, emails - and even
fax machines.

Without such advance planning, "you're not going to be positioned to do
the things you need to do when the devil comes to your door," Chard said.

Hawaiian officials have vowed to review the Maui fire response. Experts
say the state's quest for more resilient responses to climate
change-fueled disasters is one every government should pursue.

"We are in a paradigm shift point with disasters everywhere, not just in
the Pacific, not just in the United States," said Laura Brewington,
co-director of a Hawaii-based climate adaptation research program.
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/were-all-maui-climate-change-tests-emergency-alert-systems-across-us-2023-08-26/

- -

/[ Watch Duty Map -- interactive wildfire map for phone and computer
//Watching Over the Entire Western United States //] /
*Stay Safe From Wildfires When Seconds Count*
Watch Duty, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, alerts you of nearby wildfires and
firefighting efforts in real-time.
Watch Duty is a service, not an app, powered by over 60 volunteers –
firefighters, dispatchers, and first responders – who diligently monitor
radio scanners and other official sources 24 hours a day to send you the
most up-to-date information. We have created dozens of internal
collaboration tools from messaging to alerting systems to be notified of
every fire start. At any given time there are dozens of reporters
monitoring everything. Rest assured that we are always on watch duty and
we will keep you up to date when it matters most.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/watch-duty-wildfire/id1574452924
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.watchduty.app
https://app.watchduty.org/

/[  This is a big deal -- MDPI publication - William Rees is highly
respected ]/
*The Human Ecology of Overshoot: Why a Major ‘Population Correction’ Is
Inevitable*
by William E. Rees
School of Community and Regional Planning, Faculty of Applied Science,
The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2, Canada
World 2023, 4(3), 509-527; https://doi.org/10.3390/world4030032
Published: 11 August 2023
(This article belongs to the Special Issue Population Change and Its
Impact on the Environment, Society and Economy)

    Abstract
    Homo sapiens has evolved to reproduce exponentially, expand
    geographically, and consume all available resources. For most of
    humanity’s evolutionary history, such expansionist tendencies have
    been countered by negative feedback. However, the scientific
    revolution and the use of fossil fuels reduced many forms of
    negative feedback, enabling us to realize our full potential for
    exponential growth. This natural capacity is being reinforced by
    growth-oriented neoliberal economics—nurture complements nature.
    Problem: the human enterprise is a ‘dissipative structure’ and
    sub-system of the ecosphere—it can grow and maintain itself only by
    consuming and dissipating available energy and resources extracted
    from its host system, the ecosphere, and discharging waste back into
    its host. The population increase from one to eight billion, and
     >100-fold expansion of real GWP in just two centuries on a finite
    planet, has thus propelled modern techno-industrial society into a
    state of advanced overshoot. We are consuming and polluting the
    biophysical basis of our own existence. Climate change is the
    best-known symptom of overshoot, but mainstream ‘solutions’ will
    actually accelerate climate disruption and worsen overshoot.
    Humanity is exhibiting the characteristic dynamics of a one-off
    population boom–bust cycle. The global economy will inevitably
    contract and humanity will suffer a major population ‘correction’ in
    this century.

https://www.mdpi.com/2673-4060/4/3/32
- -
/[  Video reading of the document above ]/
*William Rees Pens The Single Greatest Explanation of Why We Are Domed
Ever Written (Part 1 of 5)*
Collapse Chronicles
Aug 23, 2023
In this history-making five-part Chronicle of the Collapse, I dive into
the single most spot-on analysis of why humans and every species we
share this planet with are utterly, irrevocably doomed that I have ever
encountered in 15 years of research. Period. Here is a link to Dr.
Rees's magnus opus published in World titled, "The Human Ecology of
Overshoot: Why a Major ‘Population Correction’ Is Inevitable":
https://www.mdpi.com/2673-4060/4/3/32
Look for Parts 2-5 below.
Here is the link to my interview with William Rees:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWMMF_OPOI4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n78iU0cJzfc
- -
*William Rees: "We Would All Be Better Off It There Were Fewer of Us"
(Part Two of Five Videos)*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq8-eJlfWGU&t=14s
- -
*William Rees: "A Major Population Correction Seems Inevitable" (Part
Three of Five)*
https://youtu.be/nt7UKi07YhY?si=3Ec-gk1b11nBdonu&t=110
- -
*"The Only Thing Worse Than the Failure of the Green Renewable Energy
Transition Would Be Its Success*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOpVDHInvN8&t=12s
- -
*"It's Really Quite Simple": William Rees: "Wide-Spread Societal
Collapse Cannot Be Averted" (5 of 5)*
https://youtu.be/shBi4SBxnOE?si=rdnQH8siqEs5hih6&t=161

 From article at https://www.mdpi.com/2673-4060/4/3/32

/[  Politics?    ]/
*Climate change made it in the GOP debate. Some young Republicans say
that's a win*
August 25, 2023
Heard on Morning Edition
Ximena Bustillo
It was an unusual opening for a Republican primary debate. Barely 20
minutes into the 2 hour GOP presidential debate on Fox News, moderators
Bret Baier and Martha MacCallum played a video from Alexander Diaz, a
student at Catholic University in D.C., who submitted a question on
behalf of fellow young conservatives.

"How will you as both president of the United States and leader of the
Republican Party calm their fears that the Republican Party doesn't care
about climate change?" Diaz asked.

The moderators then asked the eight candidates directly whether they
believe human behavior is causing climate change.
They got very few direct answers — despite the overwhelming scientific
consensus that climate change is driven by human activities, primarily
burning fossil fuels.

"The climate change agenda is a hoax," said former tech and finance
executive Vivek Ramaswamy, in the night's clearest answer. Former United
Nations ambassador and South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley acknowledged
climate change is real but downplayed American responsibility, while
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis sidestepped the question altogether. Many
candidates did not answer.

Some young conservative climate advocates said the fact that the
question was even asked marked progress. Polling shows that overall,
Republicans are less likely to see climate change as a threat. But young
voters across party lines list climate as a top issue. Strategists warn
that if Republicans can't talk about climate, they may lose the younger
voting base crucial to swing race wins.
"It is an issue that is mainstream for conservatives, swing voters and
Democrats, and I am glad we got to see the candidates speak to it," said
Danielle Butcher Franz, CEO of the American Conservation Coalition, an
organization mobilizing conservatives to take action in addressing
climate change.

"I would love for the candidates to recognize the opportunity there is
here for Republicans to chart a new, more optimistic vision for climate
action," Butcher Franz said.

The latest NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll found nearly 60% of those ages
18 to 29 believe climate change should be a priority, even at the risk
of slowing economic growth. A larger group, 64%, believe climate change
is a major threat, and 72% responded that climate change is affecting
their local community.

"This is such a winning issue, we just need to be more bullish on it,"
Butcher Franz said.

As Republicans look to make inroads in swing states, climate should be
top of mind, said Edward Maibach, director of the George Mason
University Center for Climate Change Communication.

"Independents and young Republicans are increasingly worried about
climate change," Maibach said. "Some Republican candidates have gotten a
memo from their pollster that young Republican voters don't want this
climate denial nonsense anymore."

*How some of the candidates responded*
Republican candidates on Wednesday night's debate stage differed in how
much they were willing to acknowledge the human contribution to climate
change, and whether it's a problem. Even candidates who acknowledged
that climate change poses a threat expressed strong support for the
continued production of fossil fuels, and skepticism of technologies
like wind and solar power and electric vehicles.

When moderators asked the presidential hopefuls to raise their hands if
they believe human behavior is causing climate change, former Arkansas
Gov. Asa Hutchinson began to raise his hand. He was the only one who
appeared to do so before DeSantis interrupted, saying, "We are not
school children, let's have the debate."
DeSantis went on to criticize Biden's initial response to the wildfires
in Maui. But he didn't directly answer whether he believes climate
change is driven by human behavior.

Ramaswamy was the most strident, adopting former President Donald
Trump's language, calling climate change a "hoax" and criticizing the
Biden administration's efforts to cut greenhouse gas emissions.

"The anti-carbon agenda is the wet blanket on our economy," Ramaswamy
said. "More people are dying of bad climate change policies than they
are of actual climate."

Data show climate change is already threatening people worldwide, while
air pollution from burning fossil fuels is responsible for thousands of
deaths in the U.S. alone.

Earlier in the debate, Ramaswamy expressed his support for fossil fuels,
listing nuclear energy as the only low-carbon power source he favors.
Ramaswamy said he wanted to expand oil and gas production, "drill,
frack, burn coal and embrace nuclear."

Haley took a different approach, acknowledging climate change is real.
But she minimized the need for U.S. action.

"Is climate change real? Yes, it is," she said. "But if you want to go
and really change the environment, then we need to start telling China
and India that they have to lower their emissions."

China is currently the single largest emitter of greenhouse gasses,
followed by the United States and India. The U.S. is by far the largest
historical contributor to climate change, along with other rich
countries, and has significantly higher per capita emissions than either
China or India. The Chinese government says it will reach peak emissions
before 2030, and cut emissions thereafter.

North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum attacked potential climate solutions,
saying that Chinese solar panels are made by factories powered by coal
plants. China still gets about half of its energy from coal plants, and
is opening more new coal plants than any other country, even as it leads
the world in producing renewable energy. It's become a common
conservative approach, to attack renewable energy and other
climate-friendly technology like electric vehicles...
George Behrakis, president of the Young Conservatives for Carbon
Dividends, which advocates for market-based solutions to climate change,
said he wasn't satisfied with the replies.

"I would've liked to see clearer answers to the question asked, and was
disappointed that many of the candidates didn't get to address the topic
at all," Behrakis said. He also wanted to hear candidates offer what he
sees as conservative policies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, like
carbon pricing.

"As I see it, the party, and our country, have so much to gain if
Republicans play offense and take an affirmative stand on this issue,"
he said.
Early in the debate candidates called for increasing U.S. oil and gas
production.

"We need to lower your gas prices," DeSantis said. "We're going to open
up all energy production. We will be energy-dominant again in this country."
Despite GOP claims that the Biden administration is limiting domestic
energy production, U.S oil production is projected to hit a record high
this year.

Meanwhile, scientists say the world must cut greenhouse gas emissions
from sources like oil and gas roughly in half by 2030 in order to avoid
the worst impacts of climate change.
*
**Still, progress for the party, experts say*
Maibach of George Mason University said the bar for Republican
engagement on climate policy is "low," but the presence of the questions
early in the debate does show a shift, even if candidates shied away
from the issue.

"[Young Republicans] genuinely want to see some leadership from their
party," Maibach said. "And if the leaders of their party or the people
who are asking to become leaders are not taking this seriously ... I
think young voters are going to become less willing to show up and cast
their vote for the Republican candidates and in districts where the
margins are thin."

For some young conservatives, just hearing about climate change on the
debate stage was a step forward.
https://www.npr.org/2023/08/25/1195566969/climate-change-made-it-in-the-gop-debate-some-young-republicans-say-thats-a-win

/[The news archive - looking back at the emptiness of words by Gorby and
Bush - thanks for mentioning it ]/
/*August  27, 1989 */
August 27, 1989: The New York Times reports:

    "Top Soviet and American scientists, environmentalists, policymakers,
    industry leaders and artists today urged President Bush and President
    Mikhail S. Gorbachev of the Soviet Union to form an 'environmental
    security alliance' to reverse what they fear could be a catastrophic
    warming of the planet.

    "The gathering urged that the superpowers promote energy-efficient
    technologies and phase out production and use of chlorofluorocarbons
    no later than the year 2000. The group said the countries should
    'substantially reduce' carbon dioxide emissions, reduce the loss of
    forests and promote tree planting worldwide. Participants asked that
    the two leaders appeal directly to their citizens to help.

    "The joint letter avoided specific goals to achieve a compromise
    between the Soviet and American participants and within the American
    contingent, even though some participants had wanted specific
    numerical and time goals on cutting emissions. But it represented the
    most concerted Soviet-American action yet over fears that the emission
    of industrial chemicals into the atmosphere is causing a worldwide
    warming trend, or 'greenhouse effect.'

    "'Soviet and U.S. scientists agreed that continued buildup of
    greenhouse gases at present rates will insure that global temperatures
    rise before the middle of the next century above anything in human
    history,' an accompanying report stated. The report said disruptions
    in agriculture and rising sea levels would cause 'massive refugee
    problems.'"

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/08/27/us/summit-of-sorts-on-global-warming.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli