[✔️] August 29, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Burning Man climate confrontation, Climate Dread, Olive oil heatflation, Geothermal drilling, Global food, Petro-masculinity, 2005 Hurricane Katrina

Tue Aug 29 09:46:17 EDT 2023

/*August 29*//*, 2023*/

/[ Raw footage; trigger warning, aggressive confrontation, no physical
injuries but unpleasant to watch - loud shouting, over-heated tempers,
arrests//- this reveals the predicament //] /
*FULL VIDEO: Climate Protesters Shut Down BURNING MAN, Rangers Ram
Through Blockade*
FREEDOM NEWS TV - NATIONAL
Aug 28, 2023  #BurningMan
August 27 2023 Black Rock Desert, NEVADA - "30 seconds, send your leader
to my vehicle, let's talk, get off the fucken road" - Tribal Ranger
announced on the highway leading to #BurningMan festival where climate
activists blocked the road. About 37 seconds later a ranger RAMMED
through blockade, made arrest at gun point.

Climate activists from XR and “7 Seven Circles” shut down highway
leading to the Burning Man Festival, withing the tribal lands.

Attendees quickly became irate, confronting the group blockading the
road and physically attempting to remove the blockade. Some attendees
sped thru close by the chained activists.

Rangers rushed in to the group, ramming through the blockade and rushing
out with gun pointed to arrest protesters. Several arrests were made
during the incident, including the legal observer as activists blocked
traffic into Burning Man festival on the event’s first day open to the
general public.

The group blocked a main thoroughfare using a trailer, lock-ons, and
banners with the words “BURNERS OF THE WORLD, UNITE!”, “ABOLISH
CAPITALISM”, and “GENERAL STRIKE FOR CLIMATE”.

Group says the blockade’s purpose is to draw attention to capitalism’s
inability to address climate and ecological breakdown along with
protesting against the popularization of Burning Man among affluent
people who do not live the stated values of Burning Man, resulting in
the commodification of the event.

Video by Oliya Scootercaster Desk at freedomnews.tv to license
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8fDM60MS84  (16 min )

/[ The New Republic - either way, it is a new World ]/
*Stop Calling It “Climate Anxiety.” It’s Climate Dread.*
The phrase “climate dread” better legitimizes the real and tangible
threat coming toward us.
Hannah Seo
August 28, 2023
The immensity and destruction of the 2018 wildfires in Sonoma County,
California, left a visceral impression on Mark Freed. He was 54 and had
recently moved to the area with his then wife to escape the crowded city
of San Francisco; he’d never lived through a wildfire season before. The
walls of flame “make you feel like an ant,” he said. “You don’t feel
human, you’re just a thing to burn.”
In 2018 alone, California saw 7,948 wildfires destroy 1,975,086
acres—the Mendocino Complex Fire near Sonoma set the then record for the
largest fire in state history. For the next few years, as Freed saw fire
after fire, he felt a growing sense of helplessness and foreboding. He
would wake up and immediately feel the heaviness set in, filling the
quiet. In his panic, he researched places that seemed the most protected
from climate change, where fire and extreme heat wouldn’t touch him
again for at least some years. But despite continually preparing for the
worst to the best of his abilities—moving somewhere he thought would be
safer, stocking up supplies, reinforcing his house—he still couldn’t
shake the feeling that disaster is inevitable.

“It’s like there’s no control over what’s going to happen to us,” he
told me. In trying to name his emotions, Freed said what he was
experiencing wasn’t quite anxiety—it was deeper and heavier than that.
That looming feeling, he said, was dread.
  When burdened by the tangible angst and unease around the future of
our planet, a term like “climate anxiety” can seem insufficient. It can
feel paltry and shallow, implying we are fretting or fussing over an
imagined future. In reality, seeing the mounting global disasters and
learning of evidence-based projections of our changing world comes with
a heavy emotional gravity. For some, “anxiety” simply doesn’t do it
justice. For people like Freed—and myself, and potentially you, reading
this now—the phrase “climate dread,” better than “climate anxiety,”
legitimizes the real and tangible threat coming toward us and
communicates that fear to others.
- -
The importance of this distinction is not just etymological. The emotion
of dread affects us differently from anxiety. Understanding how can
provide insight into our reactions to climate change, and why it can be
so hard to spur people to climate action.
Defining “dread” is a tricky task—any two people might define (or feel)
various emotions, including dread, differently—but Andreas Olsson
distinguishes dread as being heavier and more concrete than anxiety.
Olsson, a professor of psychology at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden,
told me that anxiety doesn’t always have a tangible or definite cause,
while dread is more targeted. You might feel anxious before a large
party, for example, but you might dread that party if you know you’ll
have to see and talk to an ex. You might feel anxious about the state of
climate change, but you might dread the extreme heat of the coming
weekend, the next hurricane season, or the consequences of us failing to
meet our carbon emission goals by 2050.

Dread is unique because we feel it when we know, or at least strongly
suspect, that “something bad is coming and we can’t stop it,” said Kate
Sweeny, a social psychologist at the University of California,
Riverside. The anticipation, waiting, and feeling of inevitability are
what make dread so unbearable, she said.

In my conversations with Freed, where he called climate change a
“credible threat,” he seemed to feel the heaviness of the coming decades
too. “We’re probably all going to die horrible deaths” thanks to climate
change, he told me.

Waiting with dread is particularly unpleasant when you don’t know when
the proverbial shoe will drop, Sweeny told me. She found in one study of
law students that indefinitely waiting for results for the bar exam was
so painful that finally getting those results brought immense relief to
her test subjects—even when they found out they had failed. Other
studies show that people would rather experience a higher voltage
electric shock immediately than wait for a less intense jolt and that
they make similar choices even when deciding the shocks for someone else.

None of us can choose to pull dreaded climate events forward and into
the present just to eliminate the waiting. And a consequence of
constantly seeing those inevitable and immovable disasters—and knowing
that more, and worse, catastrophes are coming—can be a feeling of
overwhelming doom and helplessness, said Barbara Easterlin, co-president
of the Climate Psychology Alliance of North America. “You get this sense
of not being able to act or move forward,” she said.

When dread freezes us like that, it creates emotional effects akin to
depression, tamping down on our energy and making it hard to take
action. Thinking about the enormity of climate change feels bad; a
common instinct is to just avoid those thoughts entirely. Unfortunately,
that avoidance creates a feedback loop where the issue becomes only more
distressing: where your brain learns and relearns that this subject is
terrible and must be avoided at all costs. As Britt Wray, a researcher
on climate and mental health at Stanford University, writes in her book
about climate anxiety, Generation Dread, “Most of us don’t deeply engage
with this reality, not because we don’t care, but because it is
painful.… We’re just so deeply caught in the double bind that we become
immobilized.”
It’s a slippery slope from helplessness to resignation and acceptance,
and mass resignation and acceptance are not strategies that will steer
the world off its current disastrous trajectory. But how can you stop
feeling dread when you also feel like our world is doomed?

Perhaps the better question to ask is, “How can we transform dread into
something more workable?” said Easterlin. “You’ll hear this over and
over again: Action is one of the antidotes to dread.” Research seems to
support this. A study published this month found that, among teenagers
and young adults experiencing climate distress, those who reported
making even small life changes or decisions for climate reasons—like
reducing single-use plastic consumption, opting to commute via bike
instead of car, or participating in political activism—still experienced
anger and frustration but were also more likely to feel positive
emotions like hope. Those who made fewer of those choices, by contrast,
were more likely to experience guilt, shame, sadness, and fear, without
the hopeful counterbalance.

Participating in even small actions and thinking about where and how you
can be effective can move dread into something positive and hopeful,
said Easterlin. It can pull you out of that forward-looking dread and
into the current moment, where you can see yourself acting capably and
with impact. It takes you out of the role of a passive victim and into a
position of agency and strength.
While it’s overwhelmingly seen as a negative emotion, there are some
positive side effects of experiencing dread, experts say. Like many
emotions, dread is contagious, said Olsson. Whether we express it in
person or online, it “catches” and amplifies—which can, paradoxically,
help bring more attention and awareness to the issue at hand and
possibly bring like-minded people together. This helps us all establish
what we communally think is undesirable or should be avoided. As Wray
writes: “What we choose to mourn shows what we choose to value.” When
everyone is in agreement to feel dread over something like climate
change, we can collectively establish a target to work against.

Research shows that community can act as an important tool for personal
resilience against climate disasters. One 2010 Australian study of more
than 500 children who experienced Cyclone Larry (a category 5 storm)
found that those who had more social connections were significantly less
likely to develop post-traumatic stress disorder than their peers.
Another 2016 paper studying communities in Ghana, Sri Lanka, Fiji, and
Vietnam found that groups were better at recovering from “shocks,”
including hurricanes and tropical storms, when they had stronger social
ties.

When it comes to dealing with your own individual and internal sense of
dread, climate-aware experts told me that a number of things can help.
The first step is to always acknowledge that climate dread is a feeling
that is warranted: We’re living through an unprecedented ecological
breakdown of our own making, and it’s natural to feel strong emotions.
The second is to realize that dread is not sustainable, and constantly
focusing on helplessness can cause you to ignore elements of your life
that are meaningful. Some therapists have found that patients respond
well to methods like cognitive behavior therapy, acceptance and
commitment therapy, and forest bathing—a process where patients spend
time in a forest, immersed in its atmosphere—to reconnect with nature.
Mark Freed began talking to a therapist about his dread in 2020. They
validated his emotions and helped Freed confront the real consequences
of wildfires he experienced, as well as how he imagines fires worsening
in the future. He tried forest bathing. And while he’s paused therapy,
Freed says his unease is now manageable. He has his routines, he plays
with his dogs, he devotes time and energy to the things he cares
about—and that’s what makes life livable.

I asked him if his dread still bothered him.

“It’s less uneasy,” he told me. “It’s not gone, gone. Maybe it will [go
away]—maybe one day, when we have a better world.”
https://newrepublic.com/article/174710/stop-calling-climate-anxiety-its-climate-dread

/[  Wait, heatflation?  Don't mess with my Pizza! ]/
*Climate change is coming for your olive oil, too*
Heatflation has doubled the price of olive oil over the past year.
Max Graham
Food and Agriculture Fellow
Aug 25, 2023
Inflation is finally easing. Americans are paying less for gas than they
were a year ago. Furniture, television, and airfare prices have all
fallen since last summer. Even the used car market is cooling off after
its meteoric rise. But one unsuspecting staple in many American kitchens
has become a prominent outlier: olive oil. The price of the already
pricey liquid fat has soared to a record high this summer.

It’s the latest chapter in the annals of heatflation — when scorching
temperatures harm crops and push food prices up. A yearlong drought and
a spring of extreme heat in Spain, the world’s largest olive oil
producer, devastated the country’s olive groves. Spanish olive oil
production fell by a half — from an estimated 1.3 million to 610,000
metric tons — over the past year. Now fears are mounting over the very
real possibility that the country’s inventory will run out before the
next harvest begins, in October.
It’s also a big deal for the rest of us, given that something like half
of the world’s olive oil comes from Spain. As barrels run dry, cooks
around the world are paying an almost unheard of premium for the nutty,
liquid gold that makes lettuce more palatable and bread more nutritious.
Worldwide, olive oil now costs $8,600 per metric ton, more than twice as
much as it did a year ago and nearly 14 times more than crude oil. (It
would set you back around $720 to fill up the typical car’s 12-gallon
tank with olive oil found on Amazon.)

What’s happening is “not normal at all,” said Kyle Holland, a vegetable
oils analyst at Mintec, a food market research firm. “It was just too
hot and too dry for too long.”
Olive oil is one of many foods — one of many condiments, even — that are
threatened by the severe and unpredictable weather brought on by climate
change. As the global temperature ticks up, droughts are occurring more
frequently, heat is getting harder for farmers to manage, and wildfires
and floods are becoming more menacing to growers around the world. As a
result, grocery store shelves aren’t getting stocked and food prices are
going up. Ultra-dry conditions in Mexico have withered peppers, leading
to a sriracha shortage in the United States. Record warming has
decimated Georgia’s famed peaches, which require a few weeks of cool
weather each winter to blossom. Ketchup, coffee, and wine all could end
up on the chopping block, too.

Olive trees are no strangers to heat, and they don’t need much water
compared to other crops, like tomatoes. Humans have been cultivating
them in the Mediterranean’s warm climate — and crushing them for oil —
for at least 6,000 years. But even hardy olives have their limits.
Temperatures above 86 degrees Fahrenheit can impair their ability to
convert sunlight into energy, and prolonged dry spells can keep them
from producing shoots, buds, flowers, and fruit.

Growers in the Mediterranean, a region warming 20 percent faster than
the rest of the world and the source of 95 percent of olive oil
production, are especially vulnerable. Drought caused Tunisia’s grain
harvest to decline by 60 percent this year. And dry conditions led to
poor yields for wheat and rice farmers last year in Italy, whose produce
has helped build the country’s legacy of pizza, pasta, and risotto. This
summer, they’ve had to contend with extreme heat, historic floods, and
freak hailstorms, according to Davide Cammarano, a professor of
agroecology at Aarhus University in Denmark. With such variability in
weather, “it becomes very hard to manage a crop in the Mediterranean,”
he said.

In a study published last year, Cammarano and his colleagues found that
rising temperatures could cut the production of processing tomatoes —
the sort used to make tomato sauce and ketchup — by 6 percent in Italy,
the U.S., and other countries within the next three decades.

Perhaps no one this year has had it as bad as olive growers in Spain.
Between October and May, the country received 28 percent less rain than
usual, with the driest conditions in southern, olive-growing areas.
“It’s a catastrophe,” Primitivo Fernandez, head of Spain’s National
Association of Edible Oil Bottlers, told Reuters in March. Spain
experienced its hottest April on record, with temperatures rising above
100 degrees F. And the heat has only gotten more punishing since, with
the country now in the midst of its third heat wave of the year.

As a result, researchers predict that drought and heat waves associated
with climate change will continue to take their toll on olives from the
Iberian Peninsula to Lebanon. Hot and dry conditions last year scorched
groves not only in Spain but also in Italy and Portugal, two of the
world’s top four olive oil producers.

In the United States, too, severe weather is a concern for olive
farmers, although unlike orchards in Spain that rely on rainfall, most
in the U.S. are irrigated, which makes them more resistant to drought.
Producers in California, the state that churns out the most olives but
still contributes less than 3 percent of the olive oil consumed in the
U.S., reportedly harvested one-fifth less than their historic average
this season, following years of little rain that made some farmers’
wells go dry.

Winter and spring storms last spring in California eased the drought,
but the cool weather and heavy precipitation slowed flowering and
potentially lowered the amount of oil in each olive, according to Jim
Lipman, chief operating officer at California Olive Ranch in Chico, the
country’s biggest olive oil producer.

In an email to Grist, Lipman said that the high prices in Europe have
increased demand for California oil and that California Olive Ranch has
a strong crop heading into the upcoming harvest season, which starts in
October. That said, early warming followed by frost has resulted in crop
disasters in two of the last five seasons.

At Burroughs Family Farm in Denair, California, production has been
fairly steady over the past few years, but “this year we are on the
lower side” possibly as a result of an “incredible” amount of rain, said
Benina Montes, managing partner at the regenerative almond and olive
farm in California’s Central Valley. In a good year, the farm’s 10 acres
of olives produce up to 40 tons of oil. This year, they yielded about
three-quarters of that amount.

Montes said she hadn’t been following news of the shortage in Europe.
But she figures the rise in demand caused by Spain’s low inventory might
have helped her business. “No wonder our olive oil has been selling well
on Amazon.”
https://grist.org/agriculture/climate-change-olive-oil-drought-extreme-heat-europe/

/[ Geothermal energy ]/
*13 miles down and 1000 degrees! Hot enough for you?*
Just Have a Think
Aug 27, 2023
There's enough energy just in the very thin crust of our planet to run
human society for hundreds of thousands of years. Getting to it and
bringing it to the surface is the challenge. Now a new team of
engineers, scientists and entrepreneurs, who were clearly Star Wars fans
as children, has developed an immensely powerful 'ray gun' that can
vaporise rocks down to twenty kilometres. Terrifying or very exciting?
Take your pick!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g95Moz2Ub_0

///[ Food Stress video 6 min]/
*How climate change is disrupting the global food supply*
PBS NewsHour
Aug 27, 2023
The effects of climate change have been hard to miss across North
America and Europe this summer: record heat, wildfires and warming
oceans. There are also other, less obvious consequences that affect both
the quantity and quality of food crops. Climate change scientist Jonas
Jägermeyr joins John Yang to explain the relationship between climate
change and global food supply.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT91uMn_TpM

/
/ //

///[  Rolling Coal...and Petro-Masculinity,  and yes, it may be, um,
"compensation". ]/
*Are Men Killing the Planet?*
Our Changing Climate
Aug 25, 2023  #patriarchy #feminism #climatechange
Get 40% off Nebula using my link: https://go.nebula.tv/occ
Watch my Nebula exclusive video on ecological masculinity:
https://nebula.tv/videos/occ-why-ecol...
Watch next month's video right now on Nebula: https://nebula.tv/occ/latest

In this Our Changing Climate climate change video essay, I explore how
patriarchy destroy the planet and drives climate change. Specifically, I
look at how threads of patriarchal masculinities, like petromasculinity
and ecomodern masculinity are wielded and pervade responses to the
climate crisis. These patriarchal responses to climate change not only
obstruct needed action, but they have devasting consequences for gender
liberation and environmental health.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddyOe7vm5R0

/[The news archive - looking back at Hurricane Katrina ]/
/*August 29, 2005 */
August 29, 2005: In a Huffington Post piece, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. notes
the irony of Hurricane Katrina assaulting the Gulf Coast just a few
years after the Bush administration decided to give preferential
treatment to the fossil fuel industry with regard to energy policy.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-f-kennedy-jr/for-they-that-sow-the-win_b_6396.html

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli