[✔️] August 30, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Hurricanes, Hot oceans, PSB on ESG, Burning Man and privileged mindsets, video, Rollie Williams comedy, 2005 Gelbspan

Wed Aug 30 07:57:11 EDT 2023

/*August 30*//*, 2023*/

/[ Global climates destabilizing makes for more intense weather events ]/*
**Hurricane Idalia****‘Catastrophic’ Storm Makes Landfall in Florida*/
//- -/
/[ NYTimes old information applies to current storm news - Hurricane
Idalia ]/
*What is the impact of climate change on hurricanes?*
6-29-2022
Veronica Penney and Elena Shao
Researchers are unsure about whether human-caused climate change will
mean longer or more active hurricane seasons in the future, but there is
broad agreement on one thing: Global warming is changing storms.

As Earth’s climate warms, more storms are intensifying quickly, growing
from relatively weak tropical storms to Category 3 or higher hurricanes
in under 24 hours, sometimes stunning forecasters and giving residents
little time to prepare.

Scientists say that unusually warm Atlantic surface temperatures have
helped to increase storm activity.

“It’s very likely that human-caused climate change contributed to that
anomalously warm ocean,” said James P. Kossin, a climate scientist with
the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. “Climate change is
making it more likely for hurricanes to behave in certain ways.”

Here are some of those ways.
*1. Higher winds.* There’s a solid scientific consensus that hurricanes
are becoming more powerful...
- -
*2. More rain. *Warming also increases the amount of water vapor that
the atmosphere can hold. In fact, every degree Celsius of warming allows
the air to hold about 7 percent more water...
- -
*3. Slower storms.* Researchers do not yet know why storms are moving
more slowly, but they are. Some say a slowdown in global atmospheric
circulation, or global winds, could be partly to blame...
- -
*4. Wider-ranging storms.* Because warmer water helps fuel hurricanes,
climate change is enlarging the zone where hurricanes can form...
- -
*5. More volatility. *As the climate warms, researchers also expect
storms to intensify more rapidly, they say. They are still unsure about
why it’s happening, but the trend appears to be clear...
The rapid intensification of hurricanes can bedevil forecasters, whose
assessments affect a community’s preparedness...“It’s a forecaster’s
nightmare,” Dr. Emanuel said. If a tropical storm or Category 1
hurricane develops into a Category 4 hurricane overnight, he said,
“there’s no time to evacuate people.”
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/08/30/us/hurricane-idalia-florida

/[ WIRED -- watch that rate of heating ]/
*An Ominous Heating Event Is Unfolding in the Oceans*
Average sea surface temperatures have soared to record highs, and stayed
there. It’s a worrying signal of an ocean in crisis.

“It’s surprising to me that we’re this far off the trajectory,” says
Robert Rohde, lead scientist at Berkeley Earth, a nonprofit that gathers
climate data. “Usually when you have a particular warming event, we’re
beating the previous record by a little bit. Right now we’re sitting
well above the past records for this time of year, for a considerable
period of time.”
- -
Since this record-keeping began in the early 1980s—the other squiggly
lines are previous years—the global average for the world’s ocean
surfaces has oscillated seasonally between 19.7 and 21 degrees Celsius
(67.5 and 69.8 Fahrenheit). Toward the end of March, the average shot
above the 21-degree mark and stayed there for a month. (The most recent
reading, for April 26, was just a hair under 21 degrees.) This
temperature spike is not just unprecedented, but extreme.
- -
TO CALL WHAT’S happening in the oceans right now an anomaly is a bit of
an understatement. Since March, average sea surface temperatures have
been climbing to record highs, as shown in the dark line in the graph
below.
https://www.wired.com/story/an-ominous-heating-event-is-unfolding-in-the-oceans

/[ Put your money where E.S.G. reality rules.  PBS video  ] /
*Conservatives fight back against environmental and socially conscious
investments*
PBS NewsHour
Aug 29, 2023
The extreme weather events that hit the U.S. and other countries have
cast a sharp spotlight on the role of climate change. In recent years,
those concerns have been a key part of significant changes in the way
investment firms and companies do business. But now a backlash is
brewing against what conservative politicians call "woke capitalism."
Economics correspondent Paul Solman reports.

Correction: This report misstated the number of New York City teachers,
transit workers and other public employees whose assets are overseen by
the New York City Comptroller -- it is 750,000 not 750. We regret the error.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUbl7bMTGcU

/[ Beware changing reality that forbids irrational carbon combustion ]/
*Burning Man attendees roadblocked by climate activists: ‘They have a
privileged mindset’*
Protesters arrested after blocking route to festival, leading to fiery
exchanges and threats
Michelle Lhooq
Mon 28 Aug 2023
The road into Burning Man is a rural, two-lane highway winding through
north-west Nevada. Approximately 80,000 people make an annual pilgrimage
to the beloved bacchanal, many hauling trailers and RVs across miles of
scorching desert in order to make it to their fabled Gomorrah. This
year, however, climate activists temporarily halted the influx of eager
festivalgoers, blocking the road with a 28-foot trailer and causing a
bumper-to-bumper traffic jam for over an hour. They clashed with
outraged Burning Man attendees as well as Nevada rangers...
- -
Many of the Burning Man attendees stuck in the traffic jam did not agree
with the activists. Within minutes of the blockade being erected,
several people had called the police to report the protesters, while
others attempted to pick up and move the trailer themselves. One man
crumpled up a flier an activist had handed to him that listed their
demands, throwing it away in disgust. “I think protest is very
important, but destroying and inconveniencing people doesn’t do
anything,” said a man named Will Semmbs, who was on the way to the
festival. “I have solar panels on my RV,” he noted. “The protesters
drove here in gas-powered cars. They’re literally making the climate worse.”
Festivalgoers observing the commotion as they waited for the traffic jam
to clear questioned why the protesters were targeting Burning Man, when
the event has already made sustainability one of its core tenets. In
addition to developing environmental solutions, the festival has a
“leave no trace” mandate, under which participants and organizers must
remove all trash and debris from the festival site when the party’s
over. “We have principles that we try to live by, and a lot of them are
cultural and environmental in nature,” said Benjamin Jorgens, a 10-year
Burner. “Burning Man takes more precautions than any festival on the
planet,” Jorgens said. “In fact, this is about as good as it gets.”..
- -
Illustrating the complexities involved in the transition to green
energy, Burning Man Project – the San Francisco-based non-profit behind
the festival – is suing the Biden administration over an approved
clean-energy project near Gerlach, the small town that serves as the
gateway to the festival. Ormat, the company behind the development, has
suggested that the carbon-free energy generated by the geothermal plants
it plans to build near the festival site would offset the “copious
amounts of fossil fuels” it says Burning Man emits every year in the
desert. However, both the festival and the Indigenous Paiute Tribe claim
the project could endanger local wildlife and dry up local hot springs
in the area.

On Sunday, the activists were pitted against members of the Paiute
Tribe, which owns the area surrounding the protest. Amid honking cars,
members of the tribe told the activists that they were not allowed to
stage their protest on tribal lands. The activists refused to move,
pointing out that they were chained to the blockade. But onlookers were
able to successfully move the trailer a few feet to the side, so that
vehicles could slowly pass by on the shoulder, some full of people
shouting obscenities at the protesters as they squeezed through.

At 1.36pm, just 36 minutes after the protestors had set up the blockade,
officers from Pyramid Lake Paiute tribal police department arrived on
scene with their sirens screeching. One officer told the protesters to
disband within 30 seconds or risk arrest, commanding them to “get off
the fucking road”. In those 30 seconds, a second ranger plowed through
the blockade, his vehicle smashing the trailer and protest signs as
activists still chained to it narrowly missed getting hit. “We’re
non-violent, we have no weapons at all, we’re environmental protesters,”
shouted Collins, as the officer pulled out what appeared to be a firearm
and aimed it at the activists after threatening: “I am going to take all
of you out.”
Fifteen minutes later, four activists were in handcuffs, with pending
municipal code violations and a court date scheduled in October. It was
over quickly but for Mun Chong, who sat in the back of the ranger
vehicle in a green shirt that read “No Burn on a dead planet”, the act
of civil disobedience was worthwhile. “If you treated the climate crisis
like an emergency, Burning Man wouldn’t be a priority,” she said. “When
you disrupt business as usual, you’re forcing people to confront a
situation and take a stance. We’re hoping these kinds of protests become
part of the zeitgeist.

“What is being late to Burning Man in comparison to having your entire
planet on fire?”
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2023/aug/28/burning-man-protest-climate-change-environment

- -

/[ Emotional burnings at entrance to Burning Man - ]/
( shorter version 5 min video. )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-D3cPzIMXc

/[ Smart, sarcastic, commentary by Rollie Williams,  year ago.
Informative and thoughtful humor  ]/
*The Supreme Court Declares War On The Environment | Climate Town*
Climate Town
419,949 views  Premiered Aug 17, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wvAwVwc6sY

/[The news archive - looking back at when Katrina became global warming ]/
/*August 30, 2005*/
August 30, 2005:
In an essay published in the Boston Globe, and republished the next
day in the New York Times, Ross Gelbspan writes:

"The hurricane that struck Louisiana yesterday was nicknamed Katrina
by the National Weather Service. Its real name is global warming."

http://web.archive.org/web/20130618033413/http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0830-22.htm

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli