[✔️] Dec 24, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Certain to pass 1.5, Analysis Nov 2023, NPR beyond Eden, 1988 Time honors Planet of the Year

Sun Dec 24 08:42:19 EST 2023

/*December 24*//*, 2023*/

/[ reading aloud a few articles ]/
*Only an Asteroid Hit or a Supervolcano this Week Can Keep Us Below 1.5
C According to Berkeley Earth*
Paul Beckwith
Dec 23, 2023
With one more week left to close out 2023, we are over 99% certain to
surpass 1.5 C above the 1850 to 1900 baseline.

We have had an exceptional acceleration in global warming this year,
unlike anything we have ever seen before.

Why not 100%.

If a Supervolcano erupted today, or we were hit by a massive asteroid
impact tomorrow, then we could either cool enough over the next week to
not break 1.5 C or not be around to do the math to calculate the
average. Neither case is desirable, I’d rather go over 1.5.

So 1.5 is dead.

The 1.5 Alive slogan propaganda at COP28 and in countless reports and
writings and scientific papers is just stupid. The sooner governments
realize this reality the better. They are living in a world of rainbows
and unicorns and are utterly detached from reality.

The Berkeley Earth year end report link is here:
https://berkeleyearth.org/november-2023-temperature-update/

It is chock full of graphs and information on global average
temperatures, overall and land and oceans, and forcing causes and
acceleration, all of which I chat about in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUWhSzAwki4

- -

/[ unpleasant predicaments from Berkeley Earth ]/
*November 2023 Temperature Update*
Posted on December 19, 2023 by Robert Rohde
The following is a summary of global temperature conditions in Berkeley
Earth’s analysis of November 2023.

      * Globally, November 2023 was the warmest November since records
        began in 1850.
      * The previous record for warmest November was broken by 0.36 °C
        (0.65 °F), an unusually large margin.
      * Both land and ocean individually also set new records for the
        warmest November.
      * Record warmth in 2023 is primarily a combined effect of global
        warming and a strengthening El Niño, but other natural
        variability and man-made factors have also contributed.
      * Particularly warm conditions occurred in the Central Asia,
        Northern Canada, North Africa, the Middle East, South America,
        parts of the Atlantic, and parts of the Indian Ocean.
      * Unusually cold conditions were present in Northern Europe and
        Eastern Antarctica.
      * 51 countries set new monthly average records for November.
      * A strong El Niño is present and is expected to continue into
        next year.
      * 2023 is now virtually certain to become a new record warm year
        (>99% chance).
      * 2023 is virtually certain (99% chance) to average more than 1.5
        °C above our 1850-1900 baseline.

https://berkeleyearth.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/SeasonalTemperature-Nov2023-1536x846.png
https://berkeleyearth.org/november-2023-temperature-update/

/[ NPR radio reminds us of the positive experiences ]/
*A naturalist finds hope despite climate change in an era he calls 'The
End of Eden'*
DECEMBER 23, 2023
Brian Mann
- -
In the book that grew out of his travels around the world, Welz lays out
a portrait of climate change not as one big, abstract thing, but as a
growing network of sometimes surprising, sometimes hard-to-see fractures
or breakdowns in the natural world.
One chapter, for instance, describes the bird species vanishing from
many deserts because it's simply too hot to forage for food or care for
their young...
- -
Welz says he struggles with how to observe and describe what he calls
the "weirding" of nature without feeling despair.

"Writing the book was extremely difficult at times," he says. He managed
to finish the project by leaning into a naturalist's scientific
curiosity. "I'm desperately curious to see how this works out,
basically. My curiosity is what's pulled me through a lot of dark times."

Welz says his research convinced him many wild ecosystems around the
world won't survive. That's the grim part of his narrative.

But he also believes despair over climate change is mostly unfounded. He
describes it as a cop-out, in fact...
- -
Locals, environmentalists and government scientists created policies
that protected huge areas of forest and wetlands. The goal was to
protect wilderness areas and wildlife habitat from development. But
along the way, Welz says, they made the Park far more resilient to
climate change.

"This is a much more diverse, much more stable system than it was a
hundred years ago because of these efforts to protect certain areas and
allow species, wild species, to re-establish themselves," Welz says.

As we talk, a flock of tiny chickadees sweeps around us, so close we can
feel the brush of wind from their wings. Welz grins in pleasure at the
scene.

"This is not effort that's been wasted," he says. "There's an
accumulation of good that comes from trying to put things back together
again."...
- -
"Human society is completely reliant on the predictable functioning of
ecosystems," Welz says. "We are pushing those ecosystems into unstable
states, driving up uncertainty, pushing ourselves deeper and deeper into
the unknown."

It will take lots of projects, big and small, all over the world, to
help ecosystems begin to heal, Welz says. But that effort could also
ease the impact of climate-fueled events like the more intense fires,
droughts and heat waves that are already reshaping our human lives.
https://www.npr.org/2023/12/23/1214002178/naturalist-looks-for-hope-despite-climate-change

/[The news archive - UPI Archives of TIME magazine announces cover
publication for 1989 ]/
/*December 24, 1988 */
December 24, 1988: TIME Magazine names "Endangered Earth" its "Planet of
the Year" for 1988, citing in part rising concerns over global warming.
DEC. 24, 1988
*Time man of year is -- Planet Earth*
By DAN JACOBSON

NEW YORK -- Citing droughts, pollution and a plague of environmental
crises, Time magazine Saturday named 'Endangered Earth' the 'Planet of
the Year,' only the second time in 62 years an inanimate object was
accorded 'Man of the Year' status.
To emphasize its dire, apocalyptic vision of a planet and its
inhabitants bound for extinction, the cover of next week's issue
features a suffocating globe wrapped in clear plastic, tied with twine,
sitting on a Long Island beach at sunset.

The beaches of New York's Long Island and much of the Atlantic Coast
suffered from a wave of medical waste and debris last summer.

'Now, more than ever, the world needs leaders who can inspire their
fellow citizens with a fiery sense of mission, not a nationalistic or
military campaign, but a universal crusade to save the planet,' Time
said in announcing its choice.

'Unless mankind embraces that cause totally, and without delay, it may
have no alternative to the bang of nuclear holocaust or the whimper of
slow extinction.'

In a departure from previous years, when there were runners-up for the
year-end cover story honor, Time said nothing or no one else was even
considered for the annual selection of the person, people or thing that
most significantly influenced -- for better or worse -- the course of
world events.

The choice 'had its origin in the scorching summer of 1988, when
environmental disasters -- droughts, floods, forest fires, polluted
beaches -- dominated the news,' publisher Robert Miller wrote in a note
at the beginning of the issue.

Drought wreaked havoc for farmers and grain supplies across the country
and touched off intense forest fires in the American West, manmade
pollution drove swimmers from beaches on both sides of the Atlantic and
in the Mediterranean, killer hurricanes tore through the Caribbean and
floods devastated Bangladesh, the magazine said.

The atmosphere's ozone layer continued to be depleted by
chlorofluorocarbons from spray cans, plastic objects and air
conditioners, and large areas were poisoned by radioactive waste, it said.

In a special plea, Time said the United States, the largest user of
natural resources, must take the lead in efforts to solve the world's
environmental crises.

The magazine said the environment should be placed at the top of the
agenda at the next economic summit to be held in Paris in June.

Time convened a group of 33 scientists, administrators and political
leaders from 10 countries, including the Soviet Union, to help formulate
an agenda for environmental action.

Miller noted that the participants from the Soviet Union were
'particularly' open in what they revealed about their country's
environmental problems. The Soviet leader, Mikhail Gorbachev, was Time's
Man of the Year in 1987.

The cover photograph of a 16-inch globe was created by Bulgarian-born
environmental sculptor Christo, who has wrapped everything from bridges
to islands in the name of art.
https://archive.org/details/time-1989-05-22/Time%201989-01-02/

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli