[✔️] February 1, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | 1.5 degrees, The Deluge - CPA-NA

Wed Feb 1 09:02:21 EST 2023

/*February 1, 2023*/

/[ it should not be a surprise  ] /
*Earth is on track to exceed 1.5C warming in the next decade, study
using AI finds*
Researchers found that exceeding the 2C increase has a 50% chance of
happening by mid-century
Gabrielle Canon

The world is on the brink of breaching a critical climate threshold,
according to a new study published on Monday, signifying time is running
exceedingly short to spare the world the most catastrophic effects of
global heating.

Using artificial intelligence to predict warming timelines, researchers
at Stanford University and Colorado State University found that 1.5C of
warming over industrial levels will probably be crossed in the next
decade. The study also shows the Earth is on track to exceed 2C
warming,which international scientists identified as a tipping point,
with a 50% chance the grave benchmark would be met by mid-century.

“We have very clear evidence of the impact on different ecosystems from
the 1C of global warming that’s already happened,” said Stanford
University climate scientist Noah Diffenbaugh, who co-authored the study
with atmospheric scientist Elizabeth Barnes. “This new study, using a
new method, adds to the evidence that we certainly will face continuing
changes in climate that intensify the impacts we are already feeling.”

Utilizing a neural network, or a type of AI that recognizes
relationships in vast sets of data, the scientists trained the system to
analyze a wide array of global climate model simulations and then asked
it to determine timelines for given temperature thresholds.

The model found a nearly 70% chance that the two-degree threshold would
be crossed between 2044 and 2065, even if emissions rapidly decline. To
check the AI’s prediction prowess, they also entered historical
measurements and asked the system to evaluate current levels of heating
already noted. Using data from 1980 to 2021, the AI passed the test,
correctly homing in on both the 1.1C warming reached by 2022 and the
patterns and pace observed in recent decades.

The two temperature benchmarks, outlined as crisis points by the United
Nations Paris agreement, produce vastly different outcomes across the
world. The landmark pact, signed by nearly 200 countries, pledged to
keep heating well below two degrees and recognized that aiming for 1.5C
“would significantly reduce the risks and impacts of climate change”.

Half a degree of heating may not seem like a lot, but the increased
impacts are exponential, intensifying a broad scale of consequences for
ecosystems around the world, and the people, plants and animals that
depend on them. Just a fraction of a degree of warming would increase
the number of summers the Arctic would be ice-free tenfold, according to
the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a global consortium of
scientists founded to assess climate change science for the UN. The
difference between 1.5C and 2C also results in twice the amount of lost
habitat for plants and three times the amount for insects.

The change will also fuel a dangerous rise in disasters. A warmer world
will deliver droughts and deluges and produce more firestorms and
floods. Scorching heatwaves will become more severe and more common,
occurring 5.6 times more often at the 2C benchmark, according to the
IPCC, with roughly 1bn people facing a greater potential of fatal
fusions of humidity and heat. Communities around the world will have to
come to grips with more weather whiplash that flips furiously between
extremes.

For many developing countries – including small island nations on the
frontlines of the climate crisis – the difference between the two is
existential. Some regions warm faster than others and the effects from
global heating won’t unfold equally. The highest toll is already being
felt by those who are more vulnerable and less affluent and the
devastating divisions are only expected to sharpen.

Climate scientists have long been warning of the near-inevitability of
crossing 1.5C, but by offering a new way of predicting key windows, this
study has made an even more urgent case for curbing emissions and
adapting to the effects that are already beginning to unfold.

“Our AI model is quite convinced that there has already been enough
warming that 2C is likely to be exceeded if reaching net-zero emissions
takes another half-century,” said Diffenbaugh. “Net-zero pledges are
often framed around achieving the Paris Agreement 1.5C goal,” he added.
“Our results suggest that those ambitious pledges might be needed to
avoid 2C.”

The findings shouldn’t be seen as an indication that the world has
failed to meet the moment, Diffenbaugh emphasized. Instead, he hopes the
work serves to motivate rather than dismay. There’s still time to stave
off an even higher escalation in the effects and prepare for the ones
already brewing – but not much.

“Managing these risks effectively will require both greenhouse gas
mitigation and adaptation,” he said. “We are not adapted to the global
warming that’s already happened and we certainly are not adapted to what
is certain to be more global warming in the future.”

And, while progress is being made on shifting toward a more sustainable
future, there’s a long way to go. “Stabilizing the climate system will
require reaching net zero, he said. “There are a lot of emissions
globally – and it’s a big ship to turn around.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jan/30/climate-crisis-global-heating-artificial-intelligence

/[ Will our harsh reality be more powerful than fiction?  Call it
non-fiction story telling? ]/
*‘The Deluge’ is a climate nightmare — and it’s based on reality*
Stephen Markley explains how he wrote a dystopia that feels a little too
real.
It was the year 2028, and I was hiding with eco-terrorists in a cabin
deep in the woods. We were trying to avoid detection by the surveillance
state, which was tracking activists after attacks on oil and gas
infrastructure. Birds were dropping dead from the sky, and a dust storm
raged around us, turning the sun crimson.

I was relieved to wake up from this dream and shake my paranoia that the
FBI was after me. That’s how immersive The Deluge is, an ambitious new
novel by Stephen Markley. My subconscious had picked up the storyline
around page 200, and after I got out of bed, I couldn’t remember exactly
where the book stopped and my dream began. Was getting followed by a
police cruiser while driving a van full of explosives part of the plot?
What about that night walk through the forest with the conspirators?

Bridging the recent past with a climate-wrecked future, the
hyper-realistic novel follows a sprawling cast of characters from 2013
until the 2040s. The Deluge stars both the people trying to save the
world and the ones wrecking it: a scientist, an advertising strategist,
a math genius, a drug addict, politicians, activists, and right-wing
authoritarians. Over the course of nearly 900 pages, climate disasters
get personal, with roaring fires and ferocious floods coming for the
characters’ loved ones. And the brutal weather brings a violent reaction
with it. By extrapolating from present trends, Markley conjures a future
filled with even more extreme far-right zealots, savvy fossil fuel PR
campaigns, and laws cracking down on protesters as terrorists.

Markley’s dark debut novel, Ohio, also took on a big social subject —
the opioid crisis — but focused on one single night in a working-class
town. The Deluge, by contrast, spans continents and careens through
decades’ worth of nightmarish scenes that feel like they were made for
Hollywood. (Markley has also written storylines for the Hulu comedy Only
Murders in the Building.) Stephen King, who read an advance copy of The
Deluge, called it “the best novel” he read last year. That a horror
novelist loved it tells you something.
It’s rare to find a book that captures the complexity of the climate
crisis, from the real-life scientific projections to the social and
political trends, especially one that’s compellingly readable. I called
Markley to learn more about how he accomplished it. This interview has
been condensed and edited for clarity.
*Q Let’s talk about the challenges of turning climate change into really
good art. It often feels like a book or movie is trying too hard to
inspire people to change their behavior, and that attempt is almost
distracting from the story. How did you deal with that?*

A.I identified a bunch of traps with writing about any big social
subject matter. Unfortunately, telling the reader what they should
believe is always a pretty surefire way to make a bad piece of art. So
even though I have, especially after all this time, very, very strong
opinions about the climate crisis, I was never using a character as my
mouthpiece, but rather looking at a variety of opinions and ideas and
trying to decide, “What would the human being I’m creating actually
think about this?”

And in doing that, you have main characters who all want to do something
about the climate crisis, but are really annoyed with each other, or
actively despise each other. Because, much like in the real world,
everybody thinks they’re right about everything. It’s getting at that
real feeling when you’re in the midst of a crisis, how human beings can
splinter and decide, “No, I am right, this faction is correct. We have
to do it this way” — that sort of polarizing atmosphere.
*Q. Do you think that the polarization around climate change could be
fixed?*

A.Well, right now, no, absolutely not. There are people who are so
ideologically committed to not doing something about this, there’s
barely any point in trying to change their minds. Having said that, I do
think that as we change the industries, the politics will begin to
change. You know, I think that was one of the smartest elements of the
Inflation Reduction Act — scatter your investments in every single
congressional district and basically make it politically impossible to
dislodge.

One of books that I really admired was Leah Stokes’ Short Circuiting
Policy, and the way in which clean energy laws in different states have
produced really different effects on Republican legislatures in those
states. In Iowa, where wind has become an enormous political force,
people have a different set of ideas about clean energy than in Ohio, my
home state, where it’s just been so much more difficult. Part of the
challenge that lies ahead is changing the industries quickly enough to
change the politics on the ground. I do think once people’s livelihoods
are invested in decarbonization, we will see a shift.

*Q.I’m from Indiana, so it was cool to see that so much of the book was
set in the Midwest.*

A.Yeah, it’s obviously partly because I’m from the Midwest. To me, it
was important to have characters who don’t believe in the climate crisis
or don’t care about it, and to see them on the ground living lives that
I think a lot of people can recognize.

*Q.I liked how your book portrayed the PR messaging coming from fossil
fuel companies — one of the characters helps the oil industry create a
giant greenwashing campaign. Where did you get that idea?*

A.It seems so cartoonishly evil, right? But people go to work every day
in these jobs, and they decide how to deny, delay, and stall action on
climate. You know, I’ve talked to a lot of those people. I asked them
for interviews on background and promised not to reveal their names. I
thought it was one of the most fascinating elements of my work on the
book, because you sit down, or you have a phone conversation, and it’s
just like, everybody’s a human being. Everybody’s talking about their
kids and their job and what they do on the weekends. And I took that and
put it into characters in the book.

You know, I find that a fascinating piece of the puzzle, because people
like us who work on climate are filled with dread about it more or less
all the time. It’s like, “How can we not be moving faster on this?” It
is really mystifying. And so demystifying it was something that was
important to me personally. But it also lent the book a very realistic
vantage point.

*Q Speaking of realism, we’ve been seeing disasters that keep outpacing
what climate models thought was possible, like the heatwave in the
Pacific Northwest a couple of years ago. How did you decide what kinds
of events were scientifically plausible?*

A.My thinking was, let’s go to the absolute outer edge of what’s
possible, first of all, to create a good Hollywood scene, but second of
all, because just in case one of them happens … I know that sounds nuts.
But let’s take the Pacific Northwest heat wave. When that happened, I
was editing the book, and suddenly I’m looking at all my temperature
numbers — like, “Oh, this was a record temperature in London at this
date, and this is a record temperature in D.C. at this date” — and the
numbers in the book all looked so silly because of this insane heat that
engulfed several provinces and a few states. It was just totally
jaw-dropping.

I wanted to have the meteorological events in the novel be outside of
anything we’ve experienced yet so they couldn’t be usurped. And there
are a couple of big ones that are definitely on the outside fringes of
what is possible. I was living in L.A., and I woke up at night, and
everybody in the county got a text like, “Just in case this wildfire
destroys the city, prepare to evacuate.” Well, that was terrifying. And
that text message became a major chapter in the novel.

*Q.A few years ago, it felt like climate fiction was a pretty niche
subject. Do you think that’s changing?*

A.One of the things that bothers me about climate fiction — I don’t want
to disparage any author, because it’s really hard to write a novel — but
none of it laid out the real choices we have to make or talked about the
carbon lobby as an actual force in our society. I’m painting with a
really broad brush — I’m sure there are stories that do this. But let’s
look at the actual problem, and every single issue that stems from it,
and what to do about it. And when you get into the nitty-gritty, that
was a novel I wanted to write. So nothing allegorical, just straight to
the eye — what is the situation we’re in and what do we do about it?

https://grist.org/culture/the-deluge-stephen-markley-interview-climate-change-realism/

/[ //CPA is the//Climate Psychology Alliance, North America - Try a
little therapy, try to cope ]/
*How Climate Change Is Forcing Therapists to Mend Their Field*
BY MÉLISSA GODIN
1.30.2023
The Frontline talks with the Climate Psychology Alliance about the
challenges of addressing eco-distress in our current mental health paradigm.
Typhoons were normal in climate justice activist Tori Tsui’s childhood.
Growing up in a fishing town in Hong Kong, Tsui was no stranger to
tropical storms that would rip through her city and community. Climate
change consumed her thoughts from a young age.

“I remember so many sleepless nights,” said Tsui, author of an upcoming
book on eco-anxiety titled It’s Not Just You. “It was a very visceral,
very physical feeling that led to a lot of turbulence in my early years.”

Tsui struggled to find help. When she finally did, mental health
professionals failed to grasp what was making her unwell. “So much of
what I was labeled was stripped of any political understanding,” she said.

As Tsui grew older, she realized her feelings had a name: eco-distress.

Eco-distress is a term mental health professionals use to describe the
wide range of emotions people feel about the climate crisis—from grief
to anxiety to rage. It can be brought on after living through a
traumatic climate disaster but can also emerge when an individual
becomes overwhelmed by the existential threat of climate change.
Nowadays, that threat has become undeniable. Just look at the recent
floods in California or the warm winter in New York. How can a person
not feel overwhelmed?

Last year, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
acknowledged for the first time that climate change is impacting
people’s mental health. The IPCC validated what more than two-thirds of
American adults had already reported in 2020. Research published earlier
this month also found that survivors of California’s deadliest
wildfire—the Camp Fire of 2018—were left with severe trauma that caused
their brains to suffer cognitive deficits and altered activity—impacts
that inhibit a person’s memory and information processing. Yet mental
health services across the world are struggling to keep up.

This is the gap the Climate Psychology Alliance (CPA) is trying to fill.
Founded in the U.K., the CPA provides training to therapists,
psychiatrists, and social workers to help them identify and address the
emotional impacts of climate change on their patients. It aims to equip
mental health professionals with climate-aware practices so that fewer
people’s eco-distress goes undiagnosed and unaddressed.

In fact, the CPA is trying to rethink the discipline of psychology
entirely. Historically, the field has insisted that politics should be
left out of the consulting room. The CPA calls on practitioners to do
the opposite. The group asserts that social, economic, political, and
environmental events inevitably shape our psychology. That the onslaught
of extreme weather events and depressing climate forecasts affects how
we feel when we get out of bed in the morning. That eco-distress is
often a natural response to unnatural circumstances.

At its core, the alliance believes that the personal is political. And
that healing individual eco-distress requires inviting politics into the
consulting room.

*‘A Different Model of Thinking’*

In 2011, a dozen mental health professionals working in the U.K.
convened in London for the first open meeting of the CPA.

At the time, early research had established that nature could provide
psychological benefits. But the CPA members gathered to flip the
question: how does the destruction of nature impact our mental health?

The CPA has spent the better half of the past decade trying to answer
this question. The alliance has since grown—from 12 members to 500. It
expanded into the U.S. in 2017 with many members starting smaller
chapters in other countries, such as Portugal, Japan, and Denmark.

The CPA has been busy educating therapists in climate-aware practices by
providing training and workshops on how climate change triggers
emotions, how it intersects with other systemic issues like racism or
sexism, as well as what coping mechanisms exist for dealing with
eco-distress. The training highlights how feelings of powerlessness and
loss that emerge can be particularly triggering for people with past trauma.

But as the CPA develops its eco-distress training, its members are
struggling with the limits of mainstream psychology, which they feel is
ill-equipped to handle the problem. The CPA is asking those in the field
to reframe their understanding of mental health entirely.

  Historically, psychology has been hesitant to link individual wellness
to structural societal issues. For decades, feminist scholars and
critical race theorists have criticized this, arguing that in failing to
acknowledge systemic issues, psychoanalysis reproduces many of the
inequities within our society.

  Studies have found that marginalized people often get diagnosed at
higher rates with mental health issues, like schizophrenia or PTSD.
Scholars argue this is because marginalized peoples’ struggles with
systemic issues get pathologized: patients are told they are the ones
who are sick, not the system. This form of therapy not only fails to
tackle the root cause of people’s distress; it also encourages patients
to believe it is their emotional disposition that needs changing, not
the world around them.

“We’re trying to train therapists in a different model of thinking, one
that is much more culturally and historically informed.” BARBARA
EASTERLIN -- CPA FOR NORTH AMERICA
This vision of mental health is precisely what the CPA wants to
dismantle. The CPA is building on the work of feminist and critical race
theorists by saying that culture, politics, economics, and the
environment are embedded into the way an individual feels.

Much like issues of race or gender have been historically ignored by
psychotherapy, so too has the environment. Since at least 1955, scholars
have warned that neglecting the environmental dimension of people’s
lives would be the major downfall of cognitive psychology. Today’s
mental health professionals have inherited a field that lacks sufficient
research and training on how the environment affects people. Luckily for
them, the CPA now exists.

“We’re trying to train therapists in a different model of thinking,”
said Barbara Easterlin, a steering committee member of the CPA for North
America, “one that is much more culturally and historically informed.”

The CPA does recognize that eco-distress can become a mental health
problem when people become stuck in grief, anxiety, or rage. “If it’s
causing us to quit our jobs, not communicate with other people, not take
care of our bodies, lose our housing, that’s problematic from a
functional standpoint,” said Andrew Bryant, a Seattle-based counselor
and therapist specialized in eco-distress who manages Climate & Mind, a
resource hub on the topic.

But the alliance cautions against over-diagnosing and pathologizing
eco-distress. The CPA is mindful that the climate crisis inflicts
greater emotional consequences on marginalized people. Research has
found that people of color in the U.S. are more likely to be concerned
about climate change than white Americans because they are often more
exposed and vulnerable to extreme weather events. The CPA does not want
to reproduce the historic errors of the field by over-pathologizing
frontline communities instead of focusing on how broken our
environmental and political paradigms remain.

  “Eco-anxiety may just be the surface-level analysis of what is
ultimately a fractured relationship between people and planet,” Tsui
said. “I appreciate that CPA frames eco-distress as a natural response
to this issue and that we need systematic changes to deal with mental
health.”

‘A Problem Shared Is a Problem Halved’

When Tsui joined the climate movement, she not only discovered the
concept of eco-distress—she also found ways to cope with it. She’s
managed her feelings by participating in the youth climate movement and
writing about eco-anxiety.

“My emotional resilience has developed over time,” she said.

  Research has found that working toward solutions alleviates anxiety.
That’s why many CPA members encourage their patients to take climate
action. “My personal goal is to move people into activism,” Easterlin
said. While she is not prescriptive about what her patients should do,
even the smallest actions, such as volunteering or using less plastic,
can alleviate symptoms. “It’s helpful for mental health.”

But individuals can’t find solutions in a vacuum. They need community.

This is the central tension CPA faces: it is encouraging people to think
about larger systemic issues within an individualistic psychoanalytic
structure.

“I don’t think anyone in our organization is under the belief that the
individual therapy model is sufficient to the issues we face,” said
Rebecca Weston, the co-president of the CPA for North America. “We are
limited by the mental health infrastructure we live in.”

Bryant, a therapist, agreed. “[Individual therapy] is a gateway entry
point for people who are alone, but it’s not the destination,” he said.
“If they can find a climate-aware therapist, they can move to the next
step, which is connecting with community.”

“We are limited by the mental health infrastructure we live in.” REBECCA
WESTON  --  CPA FOR NORTH AMERICA
Research has found that belonging to a group of like-minded people may
be effective at tackling eco-distress. The CPA has already begun
experimenting with other models. The organization has trained 200 people
in the United Kingdom to run what they call Climate Cafes, where people
struggling with eco-distress can participate in group therapy free of
charge. The alliance also hosts separate circles focused on young people
and parents who are looking to help their kids manage their distress.
Journalists and activists may also receive free counseling through the
alliance.

“A problem shared is a problem halved,” Tsui said.

Around the world, people are finding new ways to share these feelings.
In 2019, Iceland held a funeral for the first glacier it lost to climate
change. The Good Grief Network, a U.S. nonprofit that organizes online
peer-to-peer support sessions, has been bringing people together to
metabolize collective climate grief since 2016. The organization Climate
Awakening organizes thousands of virtual small-group conversations about
the emotional toll of climate change.

The CPA argues this is what we need more of—opportunities to connect, to
mourn, to imagine alternatives, collectively.

“It’s not just about people living in isolation coming together
occasionally for therapy,” said Judith Anderson, the chair of the CPA in
the U.K. “It’s about people coming together, building community so that
they together are involved in change.”

The field of psychology is quickly evolving, changing as quickly as our
planet. Ahead lies more questions than answers. We do not yet know how
eco-distress might look across cultures and identities. How
environmental trauma might inscribe itself in the body. We will need to
learn how to help a wildfire survivor who has a panic attack each time
they smell smoke. How to comfort a child unable to sleep at night for
fear of what their future holds.

  These challenges are as difficult as they are numerous—but perhaps the
real challenge lies in our crisis of disconnection. A crisis that has
kept us separate from each other and from the land that sustains us.
Only by rebuilding these ties, might we find healing.

https://atmos.earth/mental-health-climate-change-therapy

- -

/[ The book is coming out soon ]/
*It's Not Just You*
The climate crisis is making us all unwell.
Tori Tsui  --Climate justice activist, organiser, writer, consultant &
speaker

The climate crisis is affecting certain communities disproportionately.

And it’s Not Just the climate crisis…

​It's Not Just You is Tori Tsui's debut book exploring the intersections
between climate change and mental health from a climate justice-oriented
perspective.

The term ‘eco-anxiety’ has been popularised as a way to talk about the
negative impact of the climate emergency on our wellbeing.
In It’s Not Just You, activist Tori Tsui reframes eco-anxiety as the
urgent mental health crisis it clearly is.

Drawing on the wisdom of environmental advocates from around the globe,
Tori looks to those on the frontlines of eco-activism to demonstrate
that the current climate-related mental health struggle goes beyond the
climate itself. Instead, it is a struggle that encompasses many
injustices and is deeply entrenched in systems such as racism, sexism,
ableism and, above all, capitalism.

Because of this, climate injustice disproportionately affects most
marginalised communities, who are often excluded from narratives on
mental health. Tori argues that we can only begin to tackle both the
climate and mental health crisis by diversifying our perspectives and
prioritising community-led practices. In essence, reminding us that It’s
Not Just You.

Tackling this increasingly urgent crisis requires looking both inwards
and outwards, embracing individuality over individualism and championing
climate justice. Only then can we start to build better futures for both
people and the planet.

https://www.toritsui.com/book https://www.toritsui.com/about

- -

/[ see and hear the author YouTube video ]/
*OVERHEATED LIVE: Climate anxiety and how to normalize talking about it*
Overheated
1,514,037 views  Jun 10, 2022  #ClimateChange #Overheated
#OverheatedCantBeDefeated
Naza Alakija asks Tori Tsui, Dr. Mya-Rose Craig, and Clover Hogan their
views on how to speak on and manage the rapidly growing pressure of
climate anxiety.
Click here for full Live event. For more simple tips on how you can make
a change to help build a healthier planet today visit Your Plan, Your
Planet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-saCw_VruKw

/[The news archive - looking back at how tough Katie Couric was in 2008]/
/*February 1, 2008*/
February 1, 2008: CBS News anchor Katie Couric asks Democratic and
Republican presidential candidates whether they consider climate change
a significant threat.
*Primary Question: Global Warming*
Katie Couric
40,075 views  Feb 1, 2008
Katie Couric asked ten leading presidential contenders whether or not
global warming is a real and immediate threat.

video
http://youtu.be/p9pHy_Uz5g0

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli