[✔️] February 3, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Great Salt Lake evaporation., 1.5° C , James Hansen, .Bopp Citizen's United

Fri Feb 3 07:30:42 EST 2023

/*February 3, 2023*/

/[ evaporating greatness ]/
*Climate change and a population boom could dry up the Great Salt Lake
in 5 years
*February 3, 2023...
- -
Scientists point to climate change and rapid population growth — Utah is
one of the fastest growing states and also one of the driest — as the
culprits. A recent scientific report from Brigham Young University
warned that if no action is taken, the Great Salt Lake could go
completely dry in five years...
- -
"We're talking about something that could potentially make these
neighborhoods, I don't want to say uninhabitable, but for those that are
vulnerable, for those that have lung issues, uninhabitable," Bitton says...
- -
Earlier this week, a bipartisan group of state lawmakers unveiled bills
ranging from expanding turf-reduction programs in cities, to providing
more incentives to farmers to divert less water from rivers that feed
the lake. Some pledged to spend upwards of a half billion dollars to
save the lake...
https://www.npr.org/2023/02/03/1153550793/climate-change-and-a-population-boom-could-dry-up-the-great-salt-lake-in-5-years

/[ Rising fungi danger in a warming world  ] /
*Dangerous fungal illness rapidly spreading across country, doctors warn*
Valley fever is an infection of the lungs and causes respiratory
symptoms like a cough, difficulty breathing, fever, and tiredness or
fatigue. In rare cases, the Valley fever fungus can spread to other body
parts and cause severe disease.
- -
SAN FRANCISCO – Doctors are warning of a dangerous fungal illness
rapidly spreading across the country, especially affecting those living
or visiting the California and Arizona areas.

If you think it sounds like something from the cutting room floor of
"The Last of Us" series, where a parasitic fungal infection devastates
mankind, there are some very base-level similarities.

Valley fever (also called coccidioidomycosis or "cocci") is a
significant cause of pneumonia, said Dr. Brad Perkins, chief medical
officer at Karius, a company that provides advanced diagnostics for
infectious diseases.

"This is a fungus," said Perkins, a former Centers for Disease Control
and Prevention official who led the anthrax bioterrorism investigation.
"Most causes of pneumonia are caused by bacteria. This is a fungus that
lives in the soil and is breathed in dusty situations, whether it's a
dust storm or around construction or excavation."...
- -

*Where is Valley fever found?*
The fungi that cause Valley fever are Coccidioides immitis and
Coccidioides posadasiii, the CDC reports.

In the U.S., scientists have found C. immitis primarily in California,
as well as Washington State. C. posadasii is found primarily in Arizona,
as well as New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, Texas, and portions of southern
California.

According to the CDC, Southern California, particularly the southern San
Joaquin Valley, and southern Arizona, including metropolitan Phoenix and
Tucson, have the highest reported rates of Valley fever. The disease is
likely also common in parts of West Texas and along the Rio Grande River.

Prevention is challenging, according to Perkins. Risk is mostly
associated with travel to high-risk areas.

"People concerned about their risk of developing Valley fever should try
to avoid dusty situations, mostly in the summer and in peak heat,"
Perkins said.
You should also see your doctor if you develop signs or symptoms of
pneumonia.
https://www.foxweather.com/earth-space/valley-fever-lung-fungal-infection
- -
https://gizmodo.com/last-of-us-fungus-climate-change-health-1850061831

/[ Article in the Atlantic ]/
*1.5 Degrees Was Never the End of the World*
The most famous climate goal is woefully misunderstood.
By Emma Marris
FEBRUARY 1, 2023
How hot is too hot for planet Earth? For years, there’s been a consensus
in the climate movement: no more than 1.5 degrees Celsius above
preindustrial levels. The figure comes from the Paris Agreement, a
climate treaty ratified in 2016, and world leaders such as President Joe
Biden bring it up all the time: “If we’re going to win this fight, every
major emitter nation needs [to] align with the 1.5 degrees,” he said in
November. Youth activists at the Sunrise Movement call 1.5 degrees a
“critical threshold.” Even the corporate world is stuck on 1.5 degrees.
Companies including Apple, Google, and Saudi Aramco—the world’s largest
oil company—claim to be transitioning their operations in alignment with
the 1.5 goal.

But here’s the thing: 1.5 degrees, or 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit, isn’t
based on any scientific calculation. It doesn’t represent a specific
planetary threshold or ecological tipping point. It was first proposed
during international climate negotiations as a moral statement, a rebuke
of the idea that the world could accept some disruption and suffering in
order to burn fossil fuels just a bit longer. That’s the takeaway of a
new study on the history of the target from two French academics,
Béatrice Cointe from the Centre for the Sociology of Innovation and
Hélène Guillemot from the Centre Alexandre Koyré, both funded by the
French National Centre for Scientific Research. From the perspective of
the present, it’s a relief that 1.5 degrees doesn’t represent a
scientific threshold, because we are almost certainly going to blow past
it. As a rebuke, however, it may live on.

Nothing about the 1.5-degree target was inevitable. For decades, the
number on the lips of most climate negotiators was 2 degrees Celsius, or
about 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit. And you do still hear that number as the
go-to target in some climate circles. But in the late 2000s, a
negotiating bloc called the the Alliance of Small Island States argued
that this was simply too much warming for their vulnerable nations.
Their atolls would be overtopped by the sea; their coastal cities would
flood. So they called for a lower target, and 1.5 seemed like a
reasonable half-step down from 2 degrees.

 From there, 1.5 degrees gained momentum in diplomatic back channels and
in conversations within think tanks, NGOs, and a group called the
Climate Vulnerable Forum. But there was at that time very little science
on the target; scientists were busy modeling higher levels of warming,
which they considered more likely. A 2015 scientific panel hosted by the
UN concluded that although the science on 1.5 was “less robust,”
“efforts should be made to” set warming targets as low as possible. That
year, after what Cointe and Guillemot characterize as “intense and
difficult negotiations,” the new target was folded into the Paris
Agreement, which calls for “pursuing efforts to limit the temperature
increase to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels, recognizing that this
would significantly reduce the risks and impacts of climate change.”

Science informs policy. But policy shapes science too. Most climate
scientists thought staying under 1.5 degrees was unrealistic. But
climate diplomats nevertheless asked the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on
Climate Change (IPCC) for a special report on what the planet would look
like with 1.5 degrees of warming. A report was duly delivered in 2018,
and it unsurprisingly suggested that, all things considered, 1.5 degrees
Celsius would be less bad than 2 degrees Celsius. Which, duh. More
warming is always worse.

Staying below 1.5 degrees, the IPCC scientists concluded, would be an
extremely heavy lift that would require, among other things, slashing
emissions about 45 percent from 2010 levels by 2030. This is the origin
of the common idea that we have “12 years left” to stop climate change.
The IPCC puts out lots of reports, but its report on 1.5 degrees remains
its undisputed chart-topping banger. You can feel its influence in this
speech that Greta Thunberg gave to the U.K.’s houses of Parliament in
2019: “Around the year 2030,” she said, “10 years 252 days and 10 hours
away from now, we will be in a position where we set off an irreversible
chain reaction beyond human control, that will most likely lead to the
end of our civilization as we know it.”

In 2023, limiting warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius is a fantasy. It is not
happening. We have already warmed the planet more than 1.1 degrees
Celsius (2 degrees Fahrenheit). Climate scientists say we could pass 1.5
degrees Celsius within a decade. A December analysis by The Washington
Post suggested that ending the century under 1.5 degrees Celsius without
substantial mid-century overshoot would require reforestation on a
mind-boggling scale, plus massive deployment of machines to suck carbon
out of the air and cache it underground—technology that does not yet
exist on a widespread scale—along with a near-total abandonment of
fossil fuels like five minutes ago.

That we’re going to warm more than 1.5 degrees Celsius is not good, of
course. The IPCC’s report on 1.5 degrees Celsius predicted more extreme
heat, altered rain patterns, sea-level rise, increased wildfire, ocean
acidification, and major hits to ecosystems such as arctic tundra and
coral reefs as temperatures rise. But it is also probably not “the end
of our civilization as we know it.” Waking up to 1.6 degrees Celsius
won’t feel like we’ve crossed a threshold, because it isn’t one. It will
feel similar to the hot, disrupted world we already inhabit—just worse.
There are many possible futures inside the realistic range of warming
possibilities; their contours depend not just on the level of warming as
measured in degrees but on how we adapt.

The legacy of 1.5 degrees is complicated. The target seems to have
prompted many people, such as Thunberg, to start or join activist groups
to press for change. Some activists framed 1.5 degrees as a terrifying
precipice that we are driving toward at top speed, and to the extent
that it has felt like a point of no return, it has caused a fair amount
of eco-anxiety, which research shows can lead to paralysis and
apathy—the opposite of action. If people give up in despair when we
cross the mark, the figure will have been counterproductive for the
climate movement. For now, knowing whether it’s done more harm or good
to the cause is impossible. Either way, 1.5 degrees will likely soon
cease to be a target and become a historical fact.

But even then, the 1.5-degree target won’t be entirely obsolete. It has
another function—governments that promised in the Paris Agreement to
“pursu[e] efforts” to limit warming to 1.5 degrees can now be held
accountable for breaking their promise. Enshrined in a legally binding
treaty, 1.5 now represents what humanity should have accomplished. The
target can be used as a basis for measuring the rich world’s moral
failures—and justifying reparations (or “loss and damage,” as they are
now referred to in climate-diplomacy circles) to the rest of the world.
Today, 1.5 degrees is less a feasible target than a “diplomatic weapon,”
Cointe and Guillemot write. It is also already being used in court to
sue governments and force them to take more drastic measures to limit
emissions. “In that sense, it has a use,” Cointe told me.

1.5 degrees is just a number: a little better than 1.6 degrees, a little
worse than 1.4 degrees. But as a reference against which humanity’s
failures can be judged, it will remain powerful.

Emma Marris is the writer of The Weekly Planet, a climate newsletter
from The Atlantic. She is the author of Wild Souls: Freedom and
Flourishing in the Nonhuman World.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2023/02/climate-change-paris-agreement-15-degrees-celsius-goal/672909/

///[ A classic video by the most respected climate scientist- Dr James
Hansen  77 min video ]/
*James Hansen Critical Conversation Public Keynote*
Institute for Sustainability, Energy, and Environment at the University
of Illinois
7,053 views  May 11, 2021
On May 5, 2021, iSEE hosted a public keynote by James Hansen, Director
of Columbia University’s Climate Science, Awareness, and Solutions
Program. This talk, and the May 6-7 iSEE Critical Conversation, were
sponsored by the Alvin H. Baum Family Fund, directed by Joel Friedman
and Erika Cornelison.

Title: “Global Climate Change: Implications for National and Global
Energy Policies”
Abstract: The reality of human-caused global climate change is finally
beginning to be appreciated by the public. The scientific and
engineering communities, although long aware of the climate problem,
failed miserably to affect energy policies in ways that could have
minimized climate impacts. The greatest failure was adoption of
renewable portfolio standards — rather than clean energy portfolio
standards — and exclusion of nuclear power as a clean development
mechanism. Science and engineering can still address climate and energy
so as to minimize undesirable consequences of climate change, but it
will require promptly overcoming political obstacles to effective
policies. Hansen will describe the situation and provide some suggestions.

Hansen Bio: Formerly Director of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space
Studies, Hansen is an Adjunct Professor at Columbia University’s Earth
Institute, where he directs the Program on Climate Science, Awareness
and Solutions. He was trained in physics and astronomy in the space
science program. His early research on the clouds of Venus helped
identify their composition as sulfuric acid. Since the late 1970s, he
has focused his research on Earth’s climate, especially human-made
climate change. Hansen is best known for his testimony on climate change
to congressional committees in the 1980s that helped raise broad
awareness of the global warming issue. He was elected to the National
Academy of Sciences in 1995 and was designated by Time Magazine in 2006
as one of the 100 most influential people on Earth. He has received
numerous awards including the Carl-Gustaf Rossby and Roger Revelle
Research Medals, the Sophie Prize and the Blue Planet Prize. Hansen is
recognized for speaking truth to power, for identifying ineffectual
policies as greenwash, and for outlining actions that the public must
take to protect the future of young people and other life on our planet.

The keynote led to a two-day Critical Conversation May 6-7, 2021, in
which iSEE, the Department of Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological
Engineering, and Levenick iSEE Resident Scholar Denia Djokić explored
issues around "The Role of Nuclear Power in Clean Energy Future."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC9l5Jj_9ZU

/[ Big money hiding, Citizen's United and disinformation, hidden
influence, very advanced - 53 min video ]/
*How the Citizens United Decision Changed U.S. Political Campaigns (full
documentary) | FRONTLINE*
FRONTLINE PBS | Official
Jan 31, 2023  #Documentary #CitizensUnited #CampaignFinance
How did the Supreme Court’s 2010 Citizens United decision change
political campaigns in America? In 2012, FRONTLINE and APM’s Marketplace
investigated how the controversial ruling was playing out in Montana, an
epicenter of the campaign finance debate. (Aired 2012)

This journalism is made possible by viewers like you. Support your local
PBS station here: http://www.pbs.org/donate​.

As this documentary, “Big Sky, Big Money,” explored, the Citizens United
decision held that political spending is a form of protected speech, and
let corporations and unions spend unlimited amounts of money in
campaigns. But to avoid corruption, the court said the money can't go
directly to candidates; it has to go to independent outside groups.

What did that mean in reality? As the 2012 election loomed,
correspondent Kai Ryssdal traveled to Montana, then a battleground over
campaign finance, and uncovered startling new evidence of outside
interest groups’ influence on local campaigns. The documentary raised
questions about how secret “dark money” was transforming U.S. politics,
looked at a boom in ads made by tax-exempt nonprofits known as
501(c)(4)s — which generally weren’t required to disclose their donors
publicly — and probed evidence that appeared to show possible
coordination with campaigns.

“Big Sky, Big Money” is a FRONTLINE production with American Public
Media’s Marketplace in association with American University’s School of
Communications Investigative Reporting Workshop. The writer, producer
and director is Rick Young. The correspondent is Kai Ryssdal.

Explore additional reporting on "Big Sky, Big Money" on our website:
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/documentary/big-sky-big-money/

#Documentary #CitizensUnited #CampaignFinance

Subscribe on YouTube: http://bit.ly/1BycsJW​
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/frontlinepbs​
Twitter: https://twitter.com/frontlinepbs​
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/frontline

    CHAPTERS:
    Prologue - 00:00
    After Citizens United, a Boom in Campaign Spending by Outside Groups
    - 1:20
    A Rare Look Inside a Super PAC - 08:57
    ‘The Father of Citizens United’ on Secrecy in Campaign Spending - 19:43
    Montana Takes on the Supreme Court Over Citizens United - 27:56
    Did a 501(c)(4) Group Break the Law? - 39:41
    Credits - 51:58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xxiIejOmSo

/[ News archive -a huge "natural gas" leak from an un-natural drilling.
   Just call it methane. ]/
/*February 3, 2016*/
February 3, 2016:
The Los Angeles Times reports:*
**L.A. County files criminal charges over Porter Ranch gas leak*
BY PAIGE ST. JOHN, ALICE WALTON
FEB. 2, 2016

Reporting from Sacramento —  Southern California Gas Co. on Tuesday was
charged with failing to immediately notify state authorities about the
natural gas leak in Aliso Canyon.
L.A. County Dist. Atty. Jackie Lacey filed four misdemeanor criminal
charges against the gas company, accusing it of releasing air
contaminants and neglecting to report the release of hazardous materials
until three days after the leak began Oct. 23.

“We will do everything we can as prosecutors to help ensure that the
Aliso Canyon facility is brought into compliance. I believe we can best
serve our community using the sanctions available through a criminal
conviction to prevent similar public health threats in the future,”
Lacey said in a statement.

The charges could result in a maximum fine of $25,000 a day for each day
the leak went unreported, and $1,000 a day for each day the well has
polluted the air. An arraignment is scheduled for Feb. 17 in Santa Clarita.

“We have just been notified of this filing and we are still reviewing
it,” said Kristine Lloyd, a spokeswoman for the utility. “We have been
working with regulatory agencies to mitigate the odors associated with
the natural gas leak and to abate the gas leak as quickly as safety
allows. We will defend ourselves vigorously through the judicial process.”

The leaking well has released about 80,000 metric tons of methane, and
the amount continues to grow. Noxious fumes have driven residents out of
more than 5,000 homes in nearby Porter Ranch and surrounding
communities, the utility has said. Residents have complained of
headaches, nosebleeds and nausea, which are short-term symptoms
associated with the smell in the methane.

The criminal charges came hours after state Atty. Gen. Kamala Harris
joined those suing the gas company, saying the litigation was necessary
to hold the utility accountable.

The attorney general’s action amends a civil suit filed in December by
Los Angeles city and county officials in Superior Court. The revised
joint complaint accuses the gas company of violating health and safety
codes, public nuisance laws and hazardous materials reporting
requirements, as well as engaging in unfair business practices. The suit
seeks civil penalties, restitution and injunctions to enforce regulations.

Harris’ joining in the litigation brings to 11 the number of local,
state and federal agencies now either investigating or suing the gas
company. Her office is the only one that can press some claims, such as
alleging statewide harm through greenhouse gas emissions.

“Quite frankly, it’s not litigation overkill at all,” said Los Angeles
City Councilman Mitchell Englander, who represents communities affected
by the leak. “The damage the gas has caused to residents, the
environment, the economy, is unprecedented.”

Though the amount of gas escaping from the company’s Aliso Canyon
underground storage field has fallen since peaking in late November, the
utility does not expect to be able to attempt to stop the leak until
late this month.

The lawsuit includes yet-unnamed corporate officers of the gas company
who were in a position of responsibility to either prevent, or
immediately correct, the leak. Southern California Gas is owned by
Sempra Energy, a San Diego-based corporation whose board of directors
includes Kathleen Brown, the sister of Gov. Jerry Brown.

In a press release, the attorney general’s office said it was best
suited to coordinate multiple agency claims while seeking to force the
gas company to address the environmental effects of such a large release
of methane. The gas has a short lifespan in the atmosphere but has a
powerful greenhouse effect in trapping the Earth’s heat radiation.

“Against the backdrop of California’s ongoing efforts to reduce
[greenhouse gas] emissions generally, this leak is a monumental
environmental disaster,” the lawsuit contends.

Harris’ office stated the attorney general “is already serving a crucial
coordinating role” with state, federal and local agencies. Agency staff
said that effort included mapping out what potential enforcement actions
those agencies can take against the gas company.

The degree of behind-the-scenes coordination and lack of public
involvement in the leak investigation disturbs some consumer advocates.

“This is a coup of government agencies working in secrecy, to figure out
how they don’t step on each others’ toes,” said Jamie Court, president
of Consumer Watchdog, a California nonprofit organization frequently
involved in insurance and utility regulation. “The public needs to be
part of this process. There are too many political alliances and
allegiances here.”
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-attorney-general-lawsuit-aliso-canyon-leak-20160202-story.html

paige.stjohn at latimes.com
alice.walton at latimes.com

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli