[✔️] February 10, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Shell sued, Oreskes "rejection of science", randomness, predictions, Greta, self destructive fossil fuel, VP Harris

Fri Feb 10 08:47:19 EST 2023

/*February 10, 2023*/

/[ Part of a trend? ]/
*Shell’s board of directors sued over ‘flawed’ climate strategy in
first-of-its-kind lawsuit*
By Rosie Frost
02/09/2023 -
Shell’s board of directors are being personally sued over their alleged
failure to properly manage risks associated with the climate crisis.

The lawsuit says the British oil giant’s 11 directors have breached
their legal duties under the UK’s Companies Act by failing to bring
their climate strategy in line with the Paris Agreement.

Environmental law charity ClientEarth, which filed the lawsuit, says it
is the first case in the world that looks to hold corporate directors
personally responsible for failing to prepare for the energy transition.

“Shell may be making record profits now due to the turmoil of the global
energy market, but the writing is on the wall for fossil fuels long
term,” says Paul Benson, a senior lawyer at ClientEarth.

“The shift to a low-carbon economy is not just inevitable, it’s already
happening.”/
/
But the Shell board is persisting with a transition strategy that is
“fundamentally flawed,” Benson claims. He says it leaves the company
seriously exposed to the risks climate change poses to their success in
the future - “despite the board’s legal duty to manage those risks”...

https://www.euronews.com/green/2023/02/09/shells-board-of-directors-sued-over-flawed-climate-strategy-in-first-of-its-kind-lawsuit/

/[ Harvard professor gives a great lecture - most important - not to
miss video ]/
*Can Science Be Saved? | Naomi Oreskes*
Center for Inquiry
66.9K subscribers
161 views  Feb 9, 2023
Many people believe that science is in crisis. In fact, the weight of
evidence suggests that the scientific enterprise in America is alive and
well and thriving.

However, in recent years, public debates about the validity of
scientific findings and the value of science have intensified, as some
Americans have actively resisted and even denied the legitimacy of
scientific guidance about how to address the disease. What are the
social and psychological drivers of public skepticism about science?

How can skeptics be convinced otherwise? How do we evaluate the role of
facts, of political affinity, and of personal identity in the rejection
of scientific advice? According to Naomi Oreskes, Henry Charles Lea
Professor of the History of Science at Harvard University, most people
who reject science won’t be persuaded with more technical facts. They
deny scientific findings because they do not like the implications of
their veracity—what Oreskes terms implicatory denial. However,
addressing those perceived implications—and answering the concerns or
fear involved—can help us to make progress. This holds true in a range
of domains, from COVID-19 denial to climate change.

Naomi Oreskes is the Henry Charles Lea Professor of the History of
Science and affiliated professor of earth and planetary sciences at
Harvard University. She is an internationally renowned earth scientist,
historian, and author of both scholarly and popular books and articles
on the history of earth and environmental science, including, most
recently, Why Trust Science? (2019) and Science on a Mission: How
Military Funding Shaped What We Do and Don’t Know about the Ocean (2021).
This talk took place at the CSICon 2022 in Las Vegas on October 21, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QydHsqH92r8

/[ a few Greta clips -- from an opinion by David Wallace-Wells in the
NYTimes ]/
*Greta Thunberg: ‘The World Is Getting More Grim by the Day’*
Feb. 8, 2023
By David Wallace-Wells
Opinion Writer
There is genuinely no precedent in the modern history of geopolitics for
the climate activist Greta Thunberg.

Four and a half years ago, she began “striking” outside of Swedish
parliament — a single teenager with a single sign. She was 15. In just a
few months, she had made her mark at the United Nations climate
conference in Poland: “You are not mature enough to tell it like it is,”
she told the assembled diplomats and negotiators, “even that burden you
leave to us children.”

By the time she spoke at Davos that January, excoriating the world — “I
want you to act as if the house is on fire, because it is” — she had
become the face of the global climate movement, giving it an entirely
new generational life and scale. She led weekly marches across the globe
that drew millions of people through 2019 and helped force the world’s
most powerful people to at least pay lip service to what they now called
a climate crisis.

I first met Thunberg in the middle of that maelstrom, when she came to
New York in 2019 by boat to help stage two large climate strikes as
bookends to the U.N.’s climate week. A lot has changed since then, and
then again, a whole lot hasn’t. Thunberg is 20 now. Countries accounting
for almost 90 percent of the world’s emissions and G.D.P. have made
net-zero pledges. Renewable energy is skyrocketing, though fossil fuel
use has only plateaued — perhaps even peaked — but it is a long way down
from 40 gigatons (50 if you include methane) to zero. Current policies
still point to a global average temperature rise above three degrees
Celsius this century, more than double the more ambitious goals
enshrined by the Paris agreement in 2015. And now Thunberg has published
her third book, called “The Climate Book,” a curated tour of the state
of the emergency and how to think about it from more than 100
contributors. (I wrote an essay for it drawing lessons from the
experience of the pandemic.)...
- -
In early February I spoke with Thunberg, who was in Sweden, over Zoom,
about why she believes it is now a trickier time to be a climate
activist than when she began, why it’s no longer sufficient to listen to
the scientists, the necessity of systems change and whether she still
believes in the basic goodness of people. The conversation has been
edited lightly for clarity and length.

We first met in 2019.

That was a time …
- -
*What’s changed, if anything, since then?*

It seems like the world is getting more and more grim every day. The
concentration of CO₂ is now higher in the atmosphere and causing more
and more extreme weather.

But there are also positive things that have changed. We have more
people now who are mobilized and who are in the climate movement, in the
fight for the climate and social justice.

So I guess that’s a good thing. But we have to be able to zoom out and
see that we are still moving in the wrong direction. The things that
people said back then that they were going to do, they still haven’t
done, which proves, or which shows us, that it was just empty promises
and really not taking it seriously, unfortunately.

*You say more people are mobilized. From where I sit, it felt like there
was a rising tide of public protest and awareness in 2019 into early
2020. But the energy also feels a little dissipated, a little less front
and center, after the pandemic...*

Well, obviously, we had to stop doing everything that we did. That
halted the momentum. And as you say, we know now that people are
worried. It might not show on the streets because we still have to
regain that momentum. But there is a more common sort of general level
of concern among people. Of course, that doesn’t really mean anything
unless that is translated to concrete action.

- -

*In the book, you wrote: “We still need to answer some fundamental
questions. What is it exactly we want to solve in the first place? What
is our goal?” How would you answer those questions now?*

Right now it seems like the people in power just don’t want to solve the
climate crisis. They want to find “solutions,” whether they’re good or
not, that enable us to continue now as we have been, that allow them to
continue staying in power and to satisfy their greed. That’s not what I
think that we should be striving for. I think that we need to make sure
that no one’s well-being is at the expense of someone else. But that’s
not what our current people in power seem to want.

*Can we limit damages without changing that fundamental dynamic of
exploitation, which predates the climate crisis?*

I don’t think we can.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/08/opinion/greta-thunberg-climate-change.html

- -

[ NYTimes full article]
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/08/opinion/greta-thunberg-climate-change.html?unlocked_article_code=vtqb4wk9-KGEaWDZXRr1-s4AsYZMQ020_DEMr2vQjutVJgplwL9Y4vQLzbYtix3Dzic6E1TzuX9R50fo9ASeQOxWm3ZN9cEHMHSKUrqp2H77ggJWZh41oBvGNaM0QDnvpM0gR5RXpjc6FCtZSyyr2tqFrZTS-C5P50LVuJX9uHnGOKZm5m8dtugSxJoivElQBF9mTGYM2pTlNLT4hp_Q7x8mBy_rnF7yDXOP2OtFSRdQU3oALAC8QMg3pUod_i1nW3Wtk7zj6Ho6lXwSS6bVvsISiVN1ecOQCrGqNLb4MSrXNeP5CthLH0Gj1W0FYy1u-glb8TA7VXWLZd6eVmREDvUN_IDQaNo&smid=share-url

[ Our VP Harris says ...reports CNBC   ]
*VP Harris: Young people will ‘leapfrog’ this generation in climate
change work because they won’t face the question: ‘Is this real?’*
FEB 9 2023
Catherine Clifford

    - -“Students who are here and those who are thinking about their
    role in this: You are going to come out and just leapfrog over all
    of us,” Vice President Kamala Harris told an audience at Georgia
    Institute of Technology in Atlanta.
    - -“Because, you know, especially for our younger leaders, the
    benefit that you have is you’re not burdened by any question about,
    ‘Is this real?’” Harris said.
    - -Climate is a pressing issue for young people: 59% of young people
    around the globe are “very or extremely worried” about climate
    change and 84% are at least “moderately worried,” according to a
    2021 survey of 10,000 people aged 16-25 years around the globe...

- -
“Because, you know, especially for our younger leaders, the benefit that
you have is you’re not burdened by any question about, ‘Is this real?’”
she said.

That’s not currently the case, Harris said. “That is great because we’ve
been having to deal with some folks who just literally ... we’re kind of
like, ‘Have you looked out the window?’”

Harris made the comments at the end of a moderated conversation about
climate change with James Marshall Shepherd, a professor of geography
and atmospheric sciences at the University of Georgia, the day after
President Joe Biden delivered the state of the union address.

“Let’s all stay active in this and understand ... this is the planet
we’ve got. It is a precious place.  It is — it is a place that we have a
responsibility for taking care of, and that there is a whole lot of work
that can be done,” Harris said. “But the clock is not just ticking, it’s
like banging. It is requiring us to move quickly.  But there is so much
to be excited about in terms of what we can do.” ...
- -
Access to clean water is also an issue of national security, Harris said.

“When we look at extreme climate, we see that we are experiencing
drought around the world,” Harris said. “If people don’t have water
where they live, they will leave where they live. If they cannot grow
food where they live, they will leave where they live, and they will go
to other places.”

That migration, forced by climate change, may lead to conflict, she said.

“And if we think about this in the global perspective, and they will
invariably go to places that speak a different language and pray to a
different god. And what do you think might happen then? You’re probably
looking at the beginning of conflict,” Harris said.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/09/vp-harris-young-people-will-leapfrog-older-people-in-climate-work.html

/[  was this Reuters news item widely posted?  ]
/*Exclusive: Huge chunk of plants, animals in U.S. at risk of extinction*
By Brad Brooks
February 6, 2023
Exclusive: Huge chunk of plants, animals in U.S. at risk of extinction
By Brad Brooks
Feb 6 (Reuters) - A leading conservation research group found that 40%
of animals and 34% of plants in the United States are at risk of
extinction, while 41% of ecosystems are facing collapse.

Everything from crayfish and cacti to freshwater mussels and iconic
American species such as the Venus flytrap are in danger of
disappearing, a report released on Monday found.

NatureServe, which analyzes data from its network of over 1,000
scientists across the United States and Canada, said the report was its
most comprehensive yet, synthesizing five decades' worth of its own
information on the health of animals, plants and ecosystems.

Importantly, the report pinpoints the areas in the United States where
land is unprotected and where animals and plants are facing the most
threats.

Sean O'Brien, president of NatureServe, said the conclusions of the
report were "terrifying" and he hoped it would help lawmakers understand
the urgency of passing protections, such as the Recovering America's
Wildlife Act that stalled out in Congress last year.

"If we want to maintain the panoply of biodiversity that we currently
enjoy, we need to target the places where the biodiversity is most
threatened," O'Brien said. "This report allows us to do that."

U.S. Representative Don Beyer, a Democrat who has proposed legislation
to create a wildlife corridor system to rebuild threatened populations
of fish, wildlife and plants, said NatureServe's work would be critical
to helping agencies identify what areas to prioritize and where to
establish migration routes.

The data reported by NatureServe is grim, a harrowing sign of the very
real problems our wildlife and ecosystems are facing," Beyer told
Reuters. "I am thankful for their efforts, which will give a boost to
efforts to protect biodiversity."

HUMAN ENCROACHMENT
Among the species at risk of disappearing are icons like the carnivorous
Venus flytrap, which is only found in the wild in a few counties of
North and South Carolina.

Nearly half of all cacti species are at risk of extinction, while 200
species of trees, including a maple-leaf oak found in Arkansas, are also
at risk of disappearing. Among ecosystems, America's expansive temperate
and boreal grasslands are among the most imperiled, with over half of 78
grassland types at risk of a range-wide collapse.

The threats against plants, animals and ecosystems are varied, the
report found, but include "habitat degradation and land conversion,
invasive species, damming and polluting of rivers, and climate change."

California, Texas and the southeastern United States are where the
highest percentages of plants, animals and ecosystems are at risk, the
report found.

Those areas are both the richest in terms of biodiversity in the
country, but also where population growth has boomed in recent decades,
and where human encroachment on nature has been harshest, said Wesley
Knapp, the chief botanist at NatureServe.

Knapp highlighted the threats facing plants, which typically get less
conservation funding than animals. There are nearly 1,250 plants in
NatureServe's "critically imperiled" category, the final stage before
extinction, meaning that conservationists have to decide where to spend
scant funds even among the most vulnerable species to prevent extinctions.

"Which means a lot of plants are not going to get conservation
attention. We're almost in triage mode trying to keep our natural
systems in place," Knapp said.

'NATURE SAVINGS ACCOUNT'
Vivian Negron-Ortiz, the president of the Botanical Society of America
and a botanist with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, who was not
involved in the NatureServe report, said there is still a lot scientists
do not know and have not yet discovered about biodiversity in the United
States, and that NatureServe's data helped illuminate that darkness.

More than anything, she sees the new data as a call to action.

"This report shows the need for the public to help prevent the
disappearance of many of our plant species," she said. "The public can
help by finding and engaging with local organizations that are actively
working to protect wild places and conserve rare species."

John Kanter, the senior wildlife biologist with the National Wildlife
Federation, said the data in the report, which he was not involved with,
was essential to guiding state and regional officials in creating
impactful State Wildlife Action Plans (SWAPs), which they must do every
10 years to receive federal funding to protect vulnerable species.

Currently $50 million in federal funding is divided up among all states
to carry out their SWAPs. The Recovering America's Wildlife Act, whose
congressional sponsors say will be reintroduced soon, would have
increased that to $1.4 billion, which would have a huge impact on the
state's abilities to protect animals and ecosystems, Kanter said, and
the NatureServe report can act as roadmap for officials to best spend
their money.

"Our biodiversity and its conservation is like a 'nature savings
account' and if we don't have this kind of accounting of what's out
there and how's it doing, and what are the threats, there's no way to
prioritize action," Kanter said. "This new report is critical for that."
https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/huge-chunk-plants-animals-us-risk-extinction-report-2023-02-06/

- -

{ see the interactive Reuters report }
*Why Plants Matter*
https://www.reuters.com/graphics/GLOBAL-ENVIRONMENT/PLANTS/jnpwyygywpw/index.html

/[ video discussion Monte Carlo predictions, Navier-Stokes, weather and
climates without math - the interviewer talks too much,  ]/
*Tim Palmer: The Primacy of Doub*t
The Origins Podcast
125K subscribers
5,354 views  Premiered Feb 3, 2023  Full Video Episodes of The Origins
Podcast
Tim Palmer graduated from Oxford with a PhD in mathematical physics,
working on general relativity, and got a postdoc to work with Stephen
Hawking. He turned it down and moved into the field of meteorology, and
then moved on to Climate Change studies, where he pioneered the
development of what is called ‘ensemble forecasting’ to predict both
long term climate change, as well as short term weather predictions.
This technique has now become a standard in the field, and is necessary
to properly account for possible chaotic behavior in atmospheric systems.

Even simple classical systems can be chaotic—implying that even minute
changes in initial conditions can sometimes produce dramatic variations
in their later evolution. The canonical hyperbolic example is a
butterfly flapping its wings in Kansas might later cause a violent storm
on the Eastern Seaboard.

On first glance, it may seem that this would imply all predictivity must
go out the window, but over the past 40 years techniques have been
developed for dealing with the so-called ‘fractal’ distributions that
often result from chaotic dynamics, and as a result, it has become
possible to constrain the range of possible long term outcomes of
chaotic behavior.

Tim Palmer has recently written a new book, entitled The Primacy of
Doubt, which provides a wonderful discussion about the importance of
accounting for doubt and uncertainty in a wide variety of systems, from
weather to medicine, and even includes discussions of there possible
implications of his ideas for the fundamentals of quantum mechanics and
gravity. While I am more skeptical of his nevertheless intriguing latter
arguments, Tim and I had a fascinating and informative discussion about
his own experiences as a scientist, and the importance of explicitly
incorporating a range of initial conditions when exploring weather and
climate predictions.

For many people, uncertainty is something to be avoided, but in physics,
uncertainty is an inherent part of our understanding of the world, and
it must be faced head-on. Being able to make quantitative predictions
with likelihoods that have meaning requires it, and science is the only
area of human inquiry where we can state with great quantitative
accuracy what the likelihood is that a given prediction will be correct.
This is a triumph of the scientific process and deserves to be better
understood. In this regard, there are fewer better guides than Tim
Palmer, and it was a delight to spend time with him on this podcast,
which will enlighten and entertain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5oGo4pIuc4

/[ Stupidity is not measurable,  but intelligence is. ]/
*Are we getting dumber and dumber? | DW Documentary**
*DW Documentary
443,746 views  Jan 15, 2023  #dwdocumentary #IQ #documentary
For a long time, mankind was getting smarter and smarter. In fact, our
progress seemed unstoppable. Intelligence research actually confirmed
this. But a few years ago, IQ scores stagnated. What could be the reason
for this?

In 1984, the political scientist James Flynn, who lives in New Zealand,
discovered that the intelligence values measured in numerous countries
had been rising continuously since the beginning of the 20th century.
This became known as "the Flynn effect”. The increase was attributed to
things like better nutrition and medical care. But above all, it was the
result of broader access to education.

Shortly after the turn of the millennium, however, Norwegian
statisticians discovered that the Flynn effect was no longer working. On
the contrary, some countries have even recorded slightly declining IQ
scores since then. To this day, researchers are still puzzling over the
question: Why are we getting dumber?

Many neurobiologists and psychologists suspect that digitization and
changes in the media landscape could have a negative impact on IQ
scores. Increased screen time and constant accessibility via smartphones
have been proven to reduce our ability to concentrate. Our brains are
simply overtaxed. And external biological factors could also have an
impact on intelligence, such as the exponential increase in fossil fuel
production and the everyday use of plastic.

Shortly after the turn of the millennium, however, Norwegian
statisticians discovered that the Flynn effect was no longer working. On
the contrary, some countries have even recorded slightly declining IQ
scores since then. To this day, researchers are still puzzling over the
question: Why are we getting dumber?

Many neurobiologists and psychologists suspect that digitization and
changes in the media landscape could have a negative impact on IQ
scores. Increased screen time and constant accessibility via smartphones
have been proven to reduce our ability to concentrate. Our brains are
simply overtaxed. And external biological factors could also have an
impact on intelligence, such as the exponential increase in fossil fuel
production and the everyday use of plastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8TM_RD3qrI

/[  Not very prepared  ]/
*Fewer than one in 200 companies have credible climate plans, says CDP*
February 8, 2023
LONDON, Feb 8 (Reuters) - Fewer than one in 200 companies who submit
climate change-related data to a leading environmental disclosure
platform have credible climate transition plans, the nonprofit platform
CDP said on Wednesday in its latest review of corporate submissions.

The data underlines the scale of the gap between company pledges to
transition to net-zero carbon emissions, and the detailed plans that
show how a firm will align its entire business model to meeting those
targets...
- -
Of 18,600 companies which provided CDP with data only 81 - or 0.4% -
disclosed information against 21 key indicators that CDP includes in a
questionnaire and which it says represents a credible plan.

The 81 companies was a lower number than the 135 which disclosed against
key indicators last year, which CDP said was down to the platform
"raising the bar, in accordance with latest science, on what constitutes
a credible climate transition plan".

CDP's key indicators include everything from whether the company board
has oversight of a climate plan to financial planning.

"The need for companies to develop a credible climate transition plan is
not an additional element but an essential part of any future planning,"
Amir Sokolowski, global director, climate, at CDP said in a statement.

"Companies must evidence they are forward planning in order for us to
avert the worst impacts of climate change and to send the correct
signals to capital markets, that they will remain profitable."

https://www.reuters.com/business/sustainable-business/fewer-than-one-200-companies-have-credible-climate-plans-says-cdp-2023-02-08/

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*February 10, 2014*/
February 10, 2014: On CNN's "Amanpour," Rachel Kyte, World Bank Special
Envoy for Climate Change, discusses the consequences of carbon.
*Mary Bast*

    Christian I just want to comment Drastic Climate change
    conditions...I'm a christian and believe in the prophecies of the
    Bible. The climate change and natural disasters are predicted all
    the Bible everywhere. Mathew 24 chapter Luke 21 chapter. Where Jesus
    is tallking about His return to the earth and the condition of the
    planet before His return.Luke 21:11 'He said nations will rise
    against nations, kingdoms against kingdoms. There willbe great
    earthquakes, famines and pestilences in various places and fearful
    events and great signs from heaven.' Luke 21:25-26 ' There will be
    signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth nations will be in
    great anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the
    sea. Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on
    the earth for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. At that time they
    will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with Power and Great
    glory.' These are just two verses that i have mentioned. I know the
    world is crying shouting and making big noises about global warming
    etc. but people are not willing to accept the truth that its coming
    to an end, because of its sinfulness. When i see the news i compare
    it to the Bible's prophecies and I just marvel, how close we r!!!!!
    Have you heard about the prophecy of 4 blood moons between this year
    and next year? Four blood moons are NASA findings but they coincide
    with today's Bible prophecies. Hear the message on 4 blood moons by
    Pastor John Hegge, on you tube. God bless with the truth...

    February 10, 2014

http://amanpour.blogs.cnn.com/2014/02/10/world-bank-climate-change-rachel-kyte-cost-opprtunity/

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli