[✔️] January 10, 2023- Global Warming News Digest

Tue Jan 10 10:28:48 EST 2023

/*January  10, 2023*/

/[ by my skin, this feels correct - NYTimes ] /
*The Last 8 Years Were the Hottest on Record*
By Henry Fountain and Mira Rojanasakul
Jan. 10, 2023

The world remained firmly in warming’s grip last year, with extreme
summer temperatures in Europe, China and elsewhere contributing to 2022
being the fifth-hottest year on record, European climate researchers
said on Tuesday.

The eight warmest years on record have now occurred since 2014, the
scientists, from the European Union’s Copernicus Climate Change Service,
reported, and 2016 remains the hottest year ever.

Overall, the world is now 1.2 degrees Celsius (2.1 degrees Fahrenheit)
hotter than it was in the second half of the 19th century, when
emissions of planet-warming carbon dioxide from the burning of fossil
fuels became widespread.

Carlo Buontempo, director of the Copernicus service, said the underlying
warming trend since the pre-industrial age made 2022’s ranking in the
top five “neither unexpected or unsurprising.”
“The rare event now would be to see a really cold year,” he said...
- -
Separate research has shown that heat waves in Europe are increasing in
frequency and intensity at a faster rate than almost anywhere else,
fueled by warming but also, most likely, by shifts in atmospheric and
oceanic circulation.

The effects of such a warm year were felt elsewhere around the world as
well. Eastern and Central China, Pakistan and India all experienced
lengthy and extreme heat waves in 2022, and monsoon floods in Pakistan
ravaged much of the country. The heat and accompanying dryness also
contributed to extensive wildfires in the Western United States.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/climate/earth-hottest-years.html

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/climate/earth-hottest-years.html?unlocked_article_code=_zwUJKBfD2oTepdoDtggvcRv5714j11zXHOJDg0P8nq_tGEcp3po8bgcFY8HtrKeY3p9DE69Cj902opHDj_BHCiSr86i2HV0r_aKUbPwmvIMKBe55UURkO__Wt6EWayffANpNeReeXRJcyLaTTNjC-7T6eWxHEtQTX4wnZHt1Vbe-nTHNNXQeQRwtQZMpdVYjMDIUYw83EbdVvSe-a5adG03yS-_R7FD4VuBMrHQl0-T68pXuohnKKUTjvmNcEr3W9EGn8k9H0jGGsTgqZoXh0Maajm-4X6V7GUE_DPZQUxTFsgTZWfZak_iUsPEfzoC5jsxoNoRsTCFcYtjokClQlU-kBLGs8Q&smid=share-url

/[ NPR confirms what scientists have long predicted ]/
*Climate change makes heat waves, storms and droughts worse, climate
report confirms*
January 9, 2023
REBECCA HERSHER
Climate change is causing the weather around the world to get more
extreme, and scientists are increasingly able to pinpoint exactly how
the weather is changing as the Earth heats up.

A sweeping new report by top climate scientists and meteorologists
describes how climate change drove unprecedented heat waves, floods and
droughts in recent years. The annual report from the American
Meteorological Society (AMS) compiles the leading science about the role
of climate change in extreme weather.

"It's a reminder that the risk of extreme events is growing, and they're
affecting every corner of the world," says Sarah Kapnick, the chief
scientist at the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration
(NOAA).

The Earth is already about 2 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than it was in
the late 1800s, and scientists warn that humans must cut greenhouse gas
emissions in half this decade to avoid catastrophic warming later this
century.

One way to understand and predict the effects of a hotter Earth is to
look for the fingerprints of climate change on extreme weather events
such as floods, heat waves and droughts. The last decade has seen huge
leaps forward for the field known as extreme-event attribution science,
which uses statistics and climate models to detect global warming's
impact on weather disasters. The extreme drought in California and
Nevada in 2021, for example, was six times more likely because of
climate change.

One of the big takeaways from the new report is that heat waves that
used to be virtually impossible are increasingly likely.

"Extreme heat events are more extreme than ever," says Stephanie
Herring, one of the authors of the report and a scientist at NOAA.
"Research is showing they're likely to become the new normal in the not
so distant future."

In October 2021 parts of South Korea experienced average temperatures
that were 7 degrees Fahrenheit higher than average. In the past, that
would have been an exceedingly rare heat wave – something that would
never occur twice in a millennium, let alone in a person's lifetime.

But scientists found that if humans do not dramatically reduce
greenhouse gas emissions, such heat waves in South Korea will be the new
norm by 2060.

The connection between climate change and heat waves is particularly
well-understood and documented, in part because rising temperatures are
relatively simple to measure and predict.

Other types of weather are more complex. Climate change affects
hurricanes, for instance, in many ways, from changing the temperature of
the air and the water, to potentially affecting wind patterns and ocean
currents. For that reason, scientists tend to focus on individual
effects of a storm, such as coastal flooding from storm surge and sea
level rise or inland flooding from abnormally heavy rain.

Such floods are particularly dangerous when they occur at the same time.
Hurricane Ian brought both extreme storm surge and extreme rain to
Florida last year, which led to deadly and destructive flooding across a
huge swath of the state.

The AMS report highlights these so-called compound events, where climate
change causes two extreme things to happen at the same time, because
they can have such profound effects.

"Compound events lead to exacerbated impacts," explains Andrew Hoell, a
scientist at NOAA who studies such disasters.

The megadrought in the Western U.S. is a prime example, Hoell says. The
drought was caused by simultaneous extreme heat and lack of
precipitation. That, in turn, causes a cascade of other hazards,
including more wildfire risk and ecological destruction.

Understanding how climate change will affect extreme weather in the
future, and how common these types of disasters will become as the Earth
continues to heat up, is crucial for elected officials and business
leaders, says Kapnick, the chief scientist at NOAA.

She says scientists at her agency are prioritizing research that people
can use to make long-term financial investments and infrastructure
choices in a changing climate.

One way that such research can help people prepare for a hotter future
is by informing decisions about how to manage reservoirs, aquifers and
other water resources in places that face increasingly frequent and
severe droughts, the report notes.
https://www.npr.org/2023/01/09/1147805696/climate-change-makes-heat-waves-storms-and-droughts-worse-climate-report-confirm

-  -

/[ from AMS - American Meteorological Society --  academic paper ]/
*Explaining Extreme Events from a Climate Perspective*
This BAMS special report presents assessments of how human-caused
climate change may have affected the strength and likelihood of extreme
events.

*Explaining Extreme Events in 2021 and 2022 from a Climate Perspective*
This BAMS special report presents assessments of how human-caused
climate change may have affected the strength and likelihood of
individual extreme events.

The eleventh edition of the report, Explaining Extreme Events from a
Climate Perspective, presents peer-reviewed analyses of extreme weather
and climate across the world during the previous two calendar years. It
features the research of scientists from across the globe looking at
both historical observations and model simulations to determine whether
and by how much climate change may have influenced particular extreme
events.
*Download by Article: //*/at
https://www.ametsoc.org/ams/index.cfm/publications/bulletin-of-the-american-meteorological-society-bams/explaining-extreme-events-from-a-climate-perspective//

    - Water Year 2021 Compound Precipitation and Temperature Extremes in
    California and Nevada
    - The Extremely Wet May of 2021 in the United Kingdom
    - Record High Warm 2021 February Temperature over East Asia
    - Attribution of the Unprecedented 2021 October Heatwave in South Korea
    - Human Contribution to 2020/21-like Persistent Iran Meteorological
    Droughts
    - Causes of the Extremely Low Solar Radiation in the 2021 Growing
    Season over Southeastern Tibetan Plateau and Its Impact on
    Vegetation Growth
    - Attribution of the July 2021 Record-Breaking Northwest Pacific
    Marine Heatwave to Global Warming, Atmospheric Circulation, and ENSO
    - Anthropogenic Influence on the 2021 Wettest September in Northern
    China
    - The April 2021 Cape Town Wildfire: Has Anthropogenic Climate
    Change Altered the Likelihood of Extreme Fire Weather?
    - Drought Attribution Studies and Water Resources Management

https://www.ametsoc.org/ams/index.cfm/publications/bulletin-of-the-american-meteorological-society-bams/explaining-extreme-events-from-a-climate-perspective/

/[ CES is Consumer Electronics Show ]/
*How companies at CES are taking on climate change (or pretending to)*
Harri Weber at harrisonweber / •January 9, 2023
I can’t get it out of my head: A honkingly big Caterpillar sign that
read, “JOIN US AS WE BUILD A BETTER WORLD.” The digital recruitment
billboard at CES 2023 followed promos for an autonomous compactor and
excavator, and proceeded another callout: “CHECK OUT OUR BIG AUTONOMOUS
TRUCK ⬇.”

I did, and boy was it ever.

A “better world” could mean anything in corporate-speak, but in this
case, the company is talking specifically about sustainability — and
using aspirational language to distance itself from a fossil-fueled role
in carving up the earth. Like Caterpillar, many of the exhibitors I saw
as I walked the tech-show floor seemed to be rinsing their brands via
earthly taglines, stock photos of crops and sunbeams, plastic trees
and/or AstroTurf. I find this sort of thing especially distracting now
that climate is my main beat, and that’s unfortunate, because there was
still lots of intriguing climate (and adjacent) tech on display this
year, tucked in among the vague evocations of nature.
- -
When I arrived in Vegas my colleague Ingrid asked if the show would
feature mostly adaptive tech (for coping with the consequences of
climate change) or mitigative tech (for direct emission cuts). I saw a
mix of both, but much of what caught my attention skewed toward
adaption. And to that end, this year CES practically overflowed with
portable batteries and solar gear for campers and preppers alike.
Really, there was no escape.
Highlights included EcoFlow’s “whole-home” backup power box and
Jackery’s new solar generator, but I’m sure it’s not a leap to say we
should expect more gear like this in the coming years — as more people
cope with climate anxiety and extreme weather events alike.
- -
There was a ton of conservation-geared tech, too. Moen debuted a smart
sprinkler with soil sensors and Rachio announced a $100 smart hose
timer, both aiming to help lawn-havers save water and lower their bills.
(Climate change exacerbates water scarcity and drives droughts around
the world.)
For farmers, Meropy showed off its crop-watching robot, which rolls over
fields on legs that look like giant hairbrush bristles. “The idea is to
provide information to farmers to help them reduce the amount of
chemicals they put on the plots,” co-founder and CEO William Guitton
said in an interview with TechCrunch. Meropy’s bots weigh 15 kg (about
33 pounds) and pack cameras that “scan over and under the foliage,”
Guitton said.
- -
Along similar lines, John Deere showcased farming equipment that’s also
supposed to reduce fertilizer use. (Fertilizers are a major source of
greenhouse gas emissions in agriculture.) Plus, Samsung announced
washing machine tech that’s intended to save energy and halve
microplastic pollution, while AMD highlighted energy efficiency gains in
its new chips.
As for emissions mitigation, Schneider Electric made some waves with a
smart-home system that’s centered around solar and energy storage.
Schneider executive Jaser Faruq told TechCrunch he hopes the firm’s app
will offer a “much more interesting, fulfilling experience for customers
to feel like they’re in control of their power.” The system will ideally
help users conserve energy and reduce their reliance on fossil
fuel-powered grids, Faruq added, such as by automatically disconnecting
outlets while you travel. Some of the company’s energy-storage tech
reminded me a lot of Tesla’s, which is no coincidence; Faruq previously
worked in Tesla’s power storage and solar energy division.

No Traffic, a company that automates and surveils intersections, also
caught my eye. When I asked if its name represented a goal or was just
aspirational, co-founder and CEO Tal Kreisler told me it originally
started as “kind of a joke,” because when people ask how long it takes
to travel through perpetually busy areas — like from San Francisco to
Palo Alto — you might sarcastically say, ‘with no traffic, it should
take like 20 minutes.'”
- -
Kreisler said the company’s goal is to smarten up intersections so
municipalities can prioritize whatever they want — be it cars, buses,
micromobility or pedestrians (ideally the latter three). That includes
timing lights to reduce traffic, so ideally fewer cars are left idling
on city streets, but really No Traffic’s scope is broader than its name
implies.
If you count electric cars and e-bikes as mitigative climate tech, as I
typically do, then read my editor Kirsten’s story on how
electric-vehicle tech stole the show this year. The eye-catching
announcements included Mercedes-Benz’s plan for a “global” EV charging
network as well as the debut of Icoma’s bizarre suitcase motorcycle. I
can’t speak to the need for transforming e-bikes with screens, but it’s
nice to see automakers throw more weight behind EV charging
infrastructure, which is hampered by unreliable chargers and
environmental racism.
- -

Unfortunately, Mercedes plans to focus on cities, so it probably won’t
help quench rural America’s charging deserts.

And though they aren’t brand-new, I enjoyed the colorful shields on
Swedish brand Cake’s Makka Prism e-bikes. Aren’t they kind of cute?
https://techcrunch.com/2023/01/09/how-companies-at-ces-are-taking-on-climate-change-or-pretending-to/

/[ Know your solar cell ]/
*Do you REALLY get enough out of your solar panel?*
Tech Ingredients
62,352 views  Jan 8, 2023
We show you how to make your solar panel(s) more efficient.
Find us on Patreon and our website:
https://www.patreon.com/techingredients
https://www.techingredients.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt9qLRN7JvA

/[ Becki the global warming news enthusiast - video 20 mins ]/
*Was 2022 a good year for the climate?*
Beckisphere Climate Corner
Jan 8, 2023  #climatechange #cleanenergy #news
If you like the work I do, please consider joining the Beckisphere
Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/beckisphere or buying me a cup of
coffee at https://www.buymeacoffee.com/beckisphere. Remember to talk
about the climate crisis every day and support your local news
organizations!

Source list-
https://heavenly-sceptre-002.notion.site/2022-Mitigation-Recap-724d1131fa1e4be0b51c44afb28a8c06
Timestamps-

    00:00- Intro
    00:46- Energy trends
    05:10- Transportation trends
    06:37- Methane trends
    08:24- Rue break
    08:49- Leadership changes
    10:51- US caught up
    12:08 EU passes bills
    14:07 Climate finance trends
    15:45 Personal ad
    16:32 Big oil record profits
    17:17 Climate activism trends
    18:34 Climate legal trends
    19:14 Closing notes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vAW2Uxs6k8

/[ Wonderful to hear British shrinks discuss the diversity of emotions
on global warming - video chat session ]/
*Navigating the emotional overwhelm of the climate crisis - panel at LCAW*
Climate Psychology Alliance
Nov 17, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3H5CAWNnJI

/[ Clips from a classic essay by three top scientists   ]/
*The real reason some scientists downplay the risks of climate change*
This article is more than 3 years old
Dale Jamieson, Michael Oppenheimer and Naomi Oreskes
Climate deniers often accuse scientists of exaggerating the threats
associated with the climate crisis, but if anything they’re often too
conservative.
Fri 25 Oct 2019
Although the results of climate research have been consistent for
decades, climate scientists have struggled to convey the gravity of the
situation to laypeople outside their field. If anything, the wider
public only recently seems to have awakened to the threat of the climate
crisis. Why?
- -
While climate skeptics and deniers often accuse scientists of
exaggerating the threats associated with the climate crisis, the
available evidence suggests the opposite. By and large, scientists have
either been right in their assessments, or have been unduly
conservative. We noticed a clear pattern of underestimation of certain
key climate indicators, and therefore underestimation of the threat of
climate disruption. When new observations of the climate system have
provided more or better data, or permitted us to re-evaluate earlier
conclusions, the findings for ice extent, sea level rise and ocean
temperature have generally been worse than previously thought.

One of the factors that appears to contribute to this trend of
underestimation is the perceived need for consensus, or what we call
“univocality”: the felt need to speak in a single voice.

Many scientists worry that if they publicly air their disagreement,
government officials will conflate their differences of opinion with
ignorance and use this as justification for inaction.
- -
How does the pressure for univocality lead to underestimation? Consider
a case in which most scientists think that the correct answer to a
question is in the range one to 10, but some believe that it could be as
high as 100. In this case, everyone will agree that it is at least one
to 10, but not everyone will agree that it could be as high as 100.
Therefore, the area of agreement is one to 10, and this will be reported
as the consensus view. Wherever there is a range of possible outcomes
that includes a long, high-end tail of probability, the area of overlap
will lie at or near the low end.

We are not suggesting that every example of under-estimation is caused
by the factors we observed in our work, nor that the demand for
consensus always leads to underestimation. But we found that this
pattern occurred in all of the cases that we studied. We also found that
the institutional aspects of assessment, including who the authors are
and how they are chosen, how the substance is divided into chapters, and
guidance emphasizing consensus, also generally tilt in favor of
scientific conservatism.
- -
For political leaders and business people, we think it is important for
you to know that it is extremely unlikely that scientists are
exaggerating the threat of the climate crisis. It is far more likely
that things are worse than scientists have said. We have already seen
that the impacts of increased greenhouse gases in the atmosphere are
unfolding more rapidly than scientists predicted. There is a high
likelihood that they will continue to do so, and that the IPCC estimates
– that emissions must be rapidly reduced, if not entirely eliminated, by
2050 – may well be optimistic. The fact that this conclusion is hard to
swallow does not make it untrue.

And for ordinary citizens, it is important to recognize that scientists
have done their job. It is now up to us to force our leaders to act upon
what we know, before it is too late.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/25/the-real-reason-some-scientists-downplay-the-risks-of-climate-change

/[ another mis-step that should be corrected ]/
*The EPA Is Helping School Districts Purchase Clean-Energy School Buses,
But Some Districts Have Been Blocked From Participating*
Low-income districts that use contractors for busing students say an EPA
requirement that they scrap old buses keeps them from getting funds.
By Christina van Waasbergen
WASHINGTON—The Environmental Protection Agency’s Clean School Bus
Program has hit a speed bump.
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/08012023/clean-energy-school-bus-epa/

/[The news archive - looking back at a major leak in methane gas ]/
/*January  10, 2016*/
January 10, 2016:
The Los Angeles Times reports:

    "Hundreds of San Fernando Valley residents crowded into a high
    school gymnasium Saturday to express outrage over a gas leak that
    has sickened and displaced thousands from the Porter Ranch area.

    "'You need to shut it down. It’s killing us,' Maureen Capra told
    South Coast Air Quality Management District officials.

    "Capra, who has lived in Porter Ranch for four decades, said she and
    her family have suffered headaches, bloody noses and asthma because
    of the damaged storage well in Aliso Canyon.

    "The gas 'is in my house. It’s in my furniture. It’s in our bodies,'
    she said.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-residents-to-demand-porter-ranch-gas-facility-shut-down-20160109-story.html

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli