[✔️] January 11, 2023- Global Warming News Digest - Calif flooding and Existentialist risk

Wed Jan 11 08:48:48 EST 2023

/*January  11, 2023*/

/[ California weather flooding ]/
*Footage of flooding in California! Storm in Santa Barbara, Montecito,
Ventura*
World Is Dangerous
Jan 10, 2023  #worldisdangerous #flooding #california
Footage of flooding in California! Storm in Santa Barbara, Montecito,
Ventura
In the middle of what is considered to be one of the worst droughts in
California's history, the state's entire 840-mile coastline was pummeled
by an atmospheric river, what we used to call the Pineapple Express. As
a direct consequence of this, there was widespread flooding in
California and significant damage to property, and our phones were
constantly going off with repeated evacuation orders.
- -
ATTENTION: Video material is taken from social networks. It is selected
by date of publication, title, description and location of the event.
Sometimes, due to unscrupulous posting of news on social networks, the
video may contain fragments that do not correspond to the date and
place. It is not always possible to check their reliability. Thank you
for your understanding.
The information on this YouTube Channel and the resources available are
for educational and informational purposes only.​
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ53MkKGDPQ

/- -/

/[  more California weather calamity ] /
*California went under WATER! Crazy hail storm and flooding in Santa
Barbara and San Francisco*
Wild WeatherUS
Jan 10, 2023  CALIFORNIA
Heavy rain continued to drench California on Tuesday as an ongoing
parade of storms left much of the state in disarray, with power outages,
collapsed roadways, mud and landslides and treacherous floodwaters
widespread across nearly the length of the state.
   - - Snowfall with Blizzard in Colorado, USA -
https://youtu.be/ND3RftqVJQ8
   - - Heavy Snowstorm hit Ontario - https://youtu.be/ZP0yrAtbeH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXFWcCs_JRU//

/[ the risk of speaking out - a NYT opinion ]/
*I’m a Scientist Who Spoke Up About Climate Change. My Employer Fired Me.*
Jan. 10, 2023
By Rose Abramoff
Dr. Abramoff is an earth scientist who studies the effect of climate
change on natural and managed ecosystems.
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Shortly after the New Year, I was fired from Oak
Ridge National Laboratory after urging fellow scientists to take action
on climate change. At the American Geophysical Union meeting in
December, just before speakers took the stage for a plenary session, my
fellow climate scientist Peter Kalmus and I unfurled a banner that read
“Out of the lab & into the streets.” In the few seconds before the
banner was ripped from our hands, we implored our colleagues to use
their leverage as scientists to wake the public up to the dying planet.

Soon after this brief action, the A.G.U., an organization with 60,000
members in the earth and space sciences, expelled us from the conference
and withdrew the research that we had presented that week from the
program. Eventually, it began a professional misconduct inquiry (it’s
ongoing).

Then, on Jan. 3, Oak Ridge, the laboratory outside Knoxville where I had
worked as an associate scientist for one year, terminated my employment.
I am the first earth scientist I know of to be fired for climate
activism. I fear I will not be the last.

Oak Ridge said it was forced to fire me because I misused government
resources by engaging in a personal activity on a work trip and because
I did not adhere to its Code of Business Ethics and Conduct. The code
has points on scientific integrity, maintaining the institution’s
reputation and using government resources “only as authorized and
appropriate and with integrity, responsibility, and care.”
When Dr. Kalmus and I decided to make our statement during the lunch
plenary session, I knew that we risked being asked to leave the stage or
the conference. But I did not expect that our research would be removed
from the program or that I would lose my job. When I began participating
in climate actions with other scientists in 2022, senior managers at Oak
Ridge asked that I make it clear to the public and the media that I
spoke and acted on my own behalf. I followed these guidelines to the
best of my ability, including at A.G.U., where Dr. Kalmus, a scientist
at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and I did not mention our
institutions in our statements.
The retaliation I faced from the A.G.U. and Oak Ridge ultimately
highlights a disappointing reality: that established scientific
institutions will not even support scientists interrupting a meeting for
the climate. I’m all for decorum, but not when it will cost us the Earth.

I used to be a well-behaved scientist. I stood quietly on melting
permafrost in Utqiagvik, Alaska, and measured how much greenhouse gas
was released into the atmosphere. I filled spreadsheets and ran
simulations about how warming temperatures would increase the carbon
emissions from soil.

To do my job, I dissociated the data I was working with from the
terrifying future it represented. But in the field, smelling the dense
rot of New England hemlock trees that were being eaten by a pest that
now survives the warming winters, I felt loss and dread. Only my peers
read my articles, which didn’t seem to have any tangible effects. Though
I saw firsthand the oncoming catastrophe of climate change, I felt
powerless to help.

I did, however, believe that if scientists told the truth about the
climate emergency, our scientific institutions would get out the message
to policymakers, government officials, the media and the public. But
they didn’t — at least not sufficiently — even as carbon emissions
continued to rise and the climate continued to warm.
A few years ago, Scientist Rebellion, an international network of
scientists concerned about climate change, began a series of strategic
acts of nonviolent civil disobedience. After years of waiting in vain
for meaningful public action to address climate change, I decided to
join them.

For my first action, I chained myself to a White House gate to demand
that the Biden administration declare a climate emergency. Since I
locked that first chain around my waist, I have been arrested three
times in nonviolent actions. My superiors at Oak Ridge warned me to be
careful but did not discipline me.

But I was motivated to continue because these scientist-led political
campaigns have attracted positive media attention and contributed to
major policy wins. At the end of last year, a group of us protested the
impact of luxury travel at more than a dozen private airport terminals
in 13 countries; within a month of our actions, the Podemos party of
Spain submitted a request to the European Commission to take measures to
reduce the use of private planes. When scientists take action, people
listen.

The scientific community has tried writing dutiful reports for decades,
with no reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from fossil fuels to show
for it. It is time to try something new. We must work to change the
culture of our institutions, be honest about our values, advocate for
climate justice and experiment. Great experiments push at the boundaries
of knowledge and propriety. They are risky, volatile, blasphemous. But
when they work, the world changes.

Scientific institutions should support activism and advocacy, especially
by experts. The A.G.U. should do more to publicly support policies
informed by its members’ science, such as declaring a climate emergency
and ending fossil fuel extraction and subsidies.

I did not make the decision to become an activist lightly; I recognized
that my actions would have consequences, and I knew that I could face
retaliation. But inaction during this critical time will have far
greater consequences.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/10/opinion/scientist-fired-climate-change-activism.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/10/opinion/scientist-fired-climate-change-activism.html?unlocked_article_code=cH0SK6fqNRyc1rAQIgteZ2j-fFGsxQp8oXitar8O4WcBLgf8P6KXDXN-std6fMYlxkLEKnOE5C57m10sfRancjPz8PKqUGaHYS3IUn1K6FtcWlCvZpkWKliq3JRIzhjsQ0JJFHXSikXRwByOmlFZqVpvpy9hXqDWaHp-BSPcJAMd4uWpJgGHrWaMm2rswNLZ9XPYXyCY8HrFgb9jg6QtRbRnzOfl-Dp5YexMupHE8fKAeV_IC3G3mEABQWlRUshze5-EAJVduBrJANuIOsgmgqfTkWET2m7QqlCL7ZC6T4QLYLuGfG9d_r1LQzTojOa4It9x4JQmYiyJSfXv2SMXkll9CHWrhUwFM5eFEMjDIyll&smid=share-url

/[ Daily disaster news channel -- YouTube - videos taken from social
media ]/
*Natural Disasters -- Painful Earth Shorts*
https://www.youtube.com/@PAINFULEARTH/videos

/[ Power Switch -- from Politico --  our consistently intensifying
predicament ]/
*It’s getting hot(ter) in here*
By ARIANNA SKIBELL
1/10/2023
Despite global gains in clean power, the planet is heating up. A lot.

The last eight years were the hottest ever recorded, with 2016 marking
the warmest of them all, climate researchers reported this week.

At the same time, greenhouse gas emissions grew by 1.3 percent last year
in the United States, even as carbon-free energy surpassed coal power
for the first time in over half a century (hydropower outpaced coal 60
years ago), according to a report out today by the Rhodium Group.

While that rise is relatively modest compared with a 6.5 percent spike
in carbon emissions that happened in 2021, it leaves the U.S. further
adrift from its commitments under the Paris climate accord, writes
POLITICO’s E&E News reporter Benjamin Storrow.

President Joe Biden has pledged to cut emissions 50 to 52 percent by the
end of the decade, compared with 2005 levels — a steep reduction from
today’s numbers. Planet-warming pollution is now just 15.5 percent below
2005 levels, the Rhodium report found.

During a meeting with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Mexican
President Andrés Manuel López Obrador in Mexico today, Biden doubled
down on his goals, saying the U.S. “should be the clean energy
powerhouse of the world” and is strengthening its supply chains to
accomplish that.
Passage of the president’s landmark climate bill last year is expected
to accelerate the transition away from fossil fuels, as federal clean
energy tax credits increase the adoption of renewable energy technologies.
But the challenges remain significant. U.S. greenhouse gas emissions
from buildings grew 6 percent last year, while planet-warming pollution
from transportation and industry increased by slightly more than 1
percent. Those sectors of the economy have historically proven difficult
to green...
https://www.politico.com/newsletters/power-switch/2023/01/10/its-getting-hotter-in-here-00077209

/[ //2013//greater understanding - a few clips from a huge document -
National Academies Press ]/
*Abrupt Impacts of Climate Change: Anticipating Surprises (2013)*
Chapter:2 Abrupt Changes of Primary Concern
- -
*ABRUPT CHANGES IN THE OCEAN*
The Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC)—characterized by
warm surface waters flowing northward and cold deep waters flowing
southward throughout the Atlantic basin—is defined as the zonal integral
of the northward mass flux at a particular latitude.
- -
Prominent patterns of large-scale climate variability include:
the El-Nino/Southern Oscillation (ENSO),
the Madden-Julian Oscillation (MJO),
the stratospheric Quasi-Biennial Oscillation,
the Pacific-North American pattern, and
the Northern and Southern annular modes (the Northern annular mode is
also known as the North Atlantic Oscillation).
- -
Summary and the Way Forward

The connection between extreme climate and related abrupt climate change
is poorly understood, given the relatively poor understanding of both
extreme climate events and abrupt changes. A number of reasons exist for
this. First, because extreme climate phenomena represent rare events and
modern climate records made by instruments are short, the modern record
may capture only a few instances of these extreme events. Second, the
statistical tools to which most climate researchers are accustomed are
not applicable to this highly non-linear problem. Third, lack of
quantitative understanding of the thresholds that trigger abrupt changes
and causes of extreme climate events has limited our ability to provide
process-based assessments of the risk of abrupt changes. Extreme events
and the resultant abrupt changes are more likely unpredictable based on
statistical models (Ditlevsen and Johnsen, 2010; Hastings and Wysham,
2010). Yet, it is prudent to assess the societal vulnerability and
develop noregret mitigation policies for high-impact extreme events
related to abrupt changes (NRC, 2012b). In this case, risk assessment
based on a fundamental understanding of the climate dynamics may become
a major tool for developing scenarios for stress tests for the global
and regional responding systems regarding their ability to manage
potentially disruptive extreme and abrupt climate changes.

Suggested Citation:"2 Abrupt Changes of Primary Concern." National
Research Council. 2013. Abrupt Impacts of Climate Change: Anticipating
Surprises. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. doi:
10.17226/18373.×
- -
*ABRUPT CHANGES AT HIGH LATITUDES*
Potential Climate Surprises Due to High-Latitude Methane and Carbon Cycles

Interest in high-latitude methane and carbon cycles is motivated by the
existence of very large stores of carbon (C), in potentially labile
reservoirs of soil organic carbon in permafrost (frozen) soils and in
methane-containing ices called methane hydrate or clathrate, especially
offshore in ocean marginal sediments. Owing to their sheer size, these
carbon stocks have potential to massively impact the Earth’s climate, should
they somehow be released to the atmosphere. An abrupt release of methane
(CH4) is particularly worrisome as it is many times more potent as a
greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide (CO2) over short time scales.
Furthermore, methane is oxidized to CO2 in the atmosphere representing
another CO2 pathway from the biosphere to the atmosphere in addition to
direct release of CO2 from aerobic decomposition of carbon-rich soils...

*Permafrost*
Stocks Frozen northern soils contain enough carbon to drive a powerful
carbon cycle feedback to a warming climate (Schuur et al., 2008). These
stocks across large areas of Siberia comprise mainly yedoma (an
ice-rich, loess-like deposit averaging ~25 m deep [Zimov et al.,
2006b]), peatlands (i.e., histels and gelisols), and river delta
deposits. Published estimates of permafrost soil carbon have tended to
increase over time, as more field datasets are incorporated and deposits
deeper than 1 m depth are considered. Estimates of the total soil-carbon
stock in permafrost in the Arctic range from 1,700–1,850 Gt C (Gt C =
gigatons of carbon; Tarnocai et al., 2009; Zimov et al., 2006a; McGuire
et al., 2009). Figure 2.12 summarizes information on known stocks of
high latitude...
- -
Potential response to a warming climate Climate change has the potential
to impact ocean methane hydrate deposits through changes in ocean water
temperature near the sea bed, or variations in pressure associated with
changing sea level. Of the two, temperature changes are thought to be
most important, both during the last deglaciation (Mienert et al., 2005)
and also in the future. Warming bottom waters in deeper parts of the
ocean, where surface sediment is much colder than freezing and the
hydrate stability zone is relatively thick, would not thaw hydrates near
the sediment surface, but downward heat diffusion into the sediment
column would thin the stability zone from below, causing basal hydrates
to decompose, releasing gaseous methane....
- -
*Summary and the Way Forward*
The current state of scientific knowledge is that there is a plausible
risk for climate change to accelerate already-elevated extinction rates,
which would result in loss of many more species over the next few
decades than would be the case in the absence of climate change. Many of
the extinction impacts in the next few decades could be cryptic, that
is, reducing populations to below-viable levels, destining the species
to extinction even though extinction does not take place until later in
the 21st or following century. The losses would have high potential for
changing the function of existing ecosystems and degrading ecosystem
services (see Chapter 3). The risk of widespread extinctions over the
next three to eight decades is high in at least two critically important
ecosystems where much of the world’s biodiversity is concentrated,
tropical/sub-tropical areas, especially rainforests and coral reefs. The
risk of climate-triggered extinctions of species adapted to high, cool
elevations and high-latitude conditions also is high.

There are several questions that are still at a nascent stage of discovery:

Exactly which species in which ecosystems are most at risk?
Which species extinctions would precipitate inordinately large
ecological cascades that would lead to further extinctions?
What is the impact of climate-induced changes in seasonal timing and
species interactions on extinction rates?...
- -
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. 2013. Abrupt
Impacts of Climate Change: Anticipating Surprises. Washington, DC: The
National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/18373.
https://nap.nationalacademies.org/read/18373/chapter/4
https://nap.nationalacademies.org/read/18373/chapter/5#132

/[ Risk - 30 min YouTube video lecture ]/
*Joshua Schuster: Existential Risk and Apocalyptic Thinking*
Centre for Apocalyptic & Post-Apocalyptic Studies
Mar 15, 2022
Joshua Schuster – “Existential Risk and Apocalyptic Thinking”
Netzwerktreffen 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRVMSSKxlPA

/[ The news archive - looking back at deluded thinking of the day - we
know that climate destabilization can mean many types of extremes ]/
/*January  11, 2013*/
Media Matters notes: "After ignoring reports that 2012 was the hottest
year on record in the U.S., Rush Limbaugh and Fox Business host Stuart
Varney tried to push back against well-established evidence of climate
change by citing instances of cold weather."

    *Conservatives Once Again Cite Extreme Cold To Deny Climate Change*
    WRITTEN BY THOMAS BISHOP
    After ignoring reports that 2012 was the hottest year on record in
    the U.S., Rush Limbaugh and Fox Business host Stuart Varney tried to
    push back against well-established evidence of climate change by
    citing instances of cold weather.

    On the January 11 edition of his radio show, Limbaugh said,
    “Twenty-seven degrees outside San Diego right now, 27 degrees, and
    they're talking about global warming” :

    Similarly, Varney cited examples of “snow in Jerusalem” and “a deep
    freeze in China and in Europe,” then said that “the green is
    demanding a carbon tax to prevent global warming.” Varney  added,
    “Climate's always changing, isn't it?”

    In addition to the fact that scientists have found enormous evidence
    of climate change and the human causes behind it, the existence of
    cold weather does not disprove global warming. Despite the
    right-wing media regularly claiming that cold or snowy weather is
    evidence that global warming isn't happening, climate scientists --
    including at least one who has disputed aspects of the scientific
    consensus on global warming -- reject the notion that a short-term
    change in weather, let alone an individual storm, can prove or
    disprove the existence of manmade climate change.

    The National Climate Data Center reported this week that 2012 was
    the warmest and second most extreme year on record for the
    contiguous U.S. Fox News largely ignored the story, which runs
    contrary to its narrative of denying climate change. When
    liberal-leaning Fox co-host Bob Beckel made the channel's first
    reference to the record heat, fellow co-host Greg Gutfeld shouted
    him down.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/01/11/conservatives-once-again-cite-extreme-cold-to-d/192202

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli