[✔️] January 12, 2023- Global Warming News Digest - follow the money and talk with Bill Rees

Thu Jan 12 12:45:55 EST 2023

/*January  12, 2023*/
/
//[ follow the money CENTRAL BANKS]/
*Major central bankers dispute role in tackling climate change as they
battle inflation*
PUBLISHED WED, JAN 11 20236
Elliot Smith
@ELLIOTSMITHCNBC

*KEY POINTS*

    -- U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell said that the Fed
    would not become a “climate policymaker” or get involved in matters
    beyond its congressionally established mandate.
    -- European Central Bank board member Isabel Schnabel said the
    Frankfurt-based institution needs to become more climate friendly.
    -- Fellow ECB policymaker and National Bank of Belgium Governor
    Pierre Wunsch argued that it was down to governments to combat
    climate change and that talk of monetary policy financing the green
    transition was a “misunderstanding of what our role is.”

LONDON — Divisions are forming among the world’s most influential
central banks over their role in tackling climate change, as
policymakers focus on reining in inflation.

U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell told a conference hosted by
Sweden’s central bank on Tuesday that the Fed would not become a
“climate policymaker” or get involved in matters beyond its
congressionally established mandate.

Some Democratic lawmakers had expressed a desire for the Fed to play an
active role in shoring up the U.S. financial system to weather
climate-related risks...
- -
In a June 2022 statement, the Bank of England said a key aspect of its
mission to ensure U.K. monetary and financial stability was to “manage
the financial risks and economic consequences arising from the physical
effects of climate change and the transition to net-zero emissions on
our policy functions and internal operations.”

Yet Governor Andrew Bailey echoed Powell’s apparent hawkishness on
Tuesday by indicating that the Bank’s Monetary Policy Committee would
not take interest rate decisions based on their potential impact on
climate change.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/11/major-central-bankers-dispute-role-in-tackling-climate-change-as-they-battle-inflation.html

/[ And next year will likely cost more  - text and audio ]/
*Extreme weather, fueled by climate change, cost the U.S. $165 billion
in 2022*
January 10, 2023
Heard on All Things Considered
NATHAN ROTT
A town-flattening hurricane in Florida. Catastrophic flooding in eastern
Kentucky. Crippling heatwaves in the Northeast and West. A historic
megadrought. The United States endured 18 separate disasters in 2022
whose damages exceeded $1 billion, with the total coming to $165
billion, according to a new report from the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

The annual report from the nation's premier meteorological institution
highlights a troubling trend: Extreme weather events, fueled by
human-caused climate change, are occurring at a higher frequency with an
increased cost — in dollars and lives.

"Climate change is creating more and more intense, extreme events that
cause significant damage and often sets off cascading hazards like
intense drought, followed by devastating wildfires, followed by
dangerous flooding and mudslides," said Dr. Rick Spinrad, NOAA's
administrator, citing the flooding and landslides currently happening in
California.

In five of the last six years, costs from climate and weather-related
disasters have exceeded $100 billion annually. The average number of
billion-dollar disasters has surged over that time, too, driven by a
combination of increased exposure of people living in and moving to
hazardous areas, vulnerability due to increasing hazards like wind speed
and fire intensity, and a warming climate, the NOAA report said...
- - https://twitter.com/NOAA/status/1612843284753260547
To reduce the threat of deadly and costly weather events, scientists say
the world needs to limit warming by urgently cutting climate-warming
emissions. But as evidenced by recent events, the impacts of climate
change are already here and adaptation efforts are needed as well.

"This sobering data paints a dire picture of how woefully unprepared the
United States is to cope with the mounting climate crisis and its
intersection with other socioeconomic challenges in people's daily
lives," said Rachel Cleetus, a policy director at the Union of Concerned
Scientists said in a statement. "Rather than responding in a one-off
manner to disasters within the U.S., Congress should implement a
comprehensive national climate resilience strategy commensurate with the
harm and risks we're already facing."
https://www.npr.org/2023/01/10/1147986096/extreme-weather-fueled-by-climate-change-cost-the-u-s-165-billion-in-2022

/[ video from Strong Towns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n94-_yE4IeU]/
*Would You Fall for It? [ST08]*
Not Just Bikes
879K subscribers
217,346 views  Premiered Jan 9, 2023
Watch this video ad-free and sponsor-free on Nebula:
https://nebula.tv/videos/notjustbikes-would-you-fall-for-it-st08

In the 1950s, the US automobile industry was lobbying hard to get more
funding for roads and highways. Part of this effort included propaganda
targeted to the general public.

In this video, I look back at one of these automobile industry
propaganda videos, "Give Yourself the Green Light" by General Motors,
and show what was promised versus what the reality is today for American
cities. The automobile industry got everything they wanted, but the
problems they were trying to solve only got worse.

Patreon: https://patreon.com/notjustbikes
Reddit: https://reddit.com/r/notjustbikes
Mastodon: @notjustbikes at notjustbikes.com

NJB Live (my bicycle livestream channel):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9v57F4xz46KaDsvWfCv8yw
---
References & Further Reading
If you'd like to watch the whole film, you can watch my
cleaned-up/upscaled version here:
https://youtu.be/eXQayNKrj_Y

Or watch the original on archive.org:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9v57F4xz46KaDsvWfCv8yw
Give Yourself the Green Light
General Motors Corporation, Department of Public Relations
https://archive.org/details/0542_Give_Yourself_the_Green_Light_05_01_03_28

To learn more about Strong Towns, visit https://strongtowns.org
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n94-_yE4IeU

[ video lecture - academic   ]
*Christine Cornea: Post-Apocalyptic Imaginaries in UK and US Television,
1970s to Present Day*
Centre for Apocalyptic & Post-Apocalyptic Studies
See "The Man Who Fell to Earth" ( television series )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAxDgjs5Ciw

[ a PBS classic discussion - how we grasp our mythology ]
*Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth | Ep. 2: 'The Message of the Myth'*
Kino Lorber
456,265 views  Aug 23, 2022  #documentary #mythology #tv
In this episode of The Power of Myth Bill and mythologist Joseph
Campbell compare creation myths from the Bible and elsewhere.
Watch Episode 3: https://youtu.be/Ij5cJtYLkvE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aee5DJ9DSwU

[  Classic research publications ]
https://nap.nationalacademies.org/read/18373/chapter/4#52

/[ One of the best talks with Bill Rees   -- long but pick it ups in the
middle if you must ]/
*William Rees - Measuring Our Ecological Footprint*
The Green Interview - Re-invent the world
1,471 views  Jul 26, 2022  #ClimateChange #TheGreenInterview
Dr. William Rees, who devised the famous “Ecological Footprint,” which
measures the proportion of the earth’s resources any group of people is
using – a single person, a village or region, or the entire human race.

Dr. William Rees has been a professor at the University of British
Columbia’s School of Community and Regional Planning (SCARP) since 1969.
He founded SCARP’s ‘Environment and Resource Planning’ concentration and
from 1994 to 1999 served as director of the School.

Born December 18, 1943, Bill Rees grew up on a farm in in southern
Ontario, and dates his environmental awakening to a boyhood day when “I
happened to glance down at my plate full of young new carrots, little
potatoes, fresh lettuce, and I realized that there wasn’t a single thing
on the plate that I hadn’t had a hand in growing. I suppose it was like
an epiphany kind of experience.”

--
This interview is part of The Green Interview, an archive of resources
pertinent to an understanding of the future of life on earth and

/[The news archive - looking back at when we first learned - what we are
now forgetting ]/
/*January  12, 2000*/
January 12, 2000: The National Academy of Sciences issues a report
indicating that "strong evidence exists to show that the warming of
the Earth's surface is 'undoubtedly real,' and that surface
temperatures in the past two decades have risen at a rate
substantially greater than average for the past 100 years."

http://clinton5.nara.gov/Initiatives/Climate/sciences.html
( document not found... check
https://nap.nationalacademies.org/collection/34/climate-change )

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli