[✔️] January 21, 2023- Global Warming News Digest - money, activism, heated Greenland,

Sat Jan 21 10:54:03 EST 2023

/*January  21, 2023*/

/[ my favorite communicator -- wry humor from Rolly Williams  29 min
video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwP2mSZpe0Q ]/
*It's Time To Let Coal Die | Climate Town*
Climate Town
Jan 18, 2023
A VERY cool way to waste time & money. Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/ClimateTown
sUbScRiBe FoR mOrE ViDeOs: https://www.youtube.com/c/climatetown

Wanna learn what you can do to help end government subsidies to the
fossil fuel industry? Visit our friends at Climate Changemakers:
https://www.climatechangemakers.org/issue-briefing-ffs

Wanna watch Weekend At Bernies with me on Sunday Jan 22 at 2pm Eastern?
Well boy do I have a livestream link for you: https://youtu.be/3Oy4rlQvTLA

Oh what's that? We’re also on the larger Internet?
Discord server: https://discord.gg/HFHgfMgchp
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/climatetown/
TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@climatetown
Website: https://www.climatetownproductions.com/
LinkTree: https://linktr.ee/ClimateTown

More info on making a tax-deductible donation to Climate Town:
https://www.climatetownproductions.co...

EPISODE SOURCES & CITATIONS: Rather than fill this description with a
thousand links, we’ve got all our citations and sources organized &
cataloged so you can see exactly what the U.S. Government Accountability
Office said, or read the Petra Nova emissions report yourself rather
than take my word for it. Check it out along with all our other sources
here: https://www.climatetownproductions.com/cleancoal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwP2mSZpe0Q

/[ clips from David Wallace-Wells OPINION ]/
*Is Peak Climate Alarmism Behind Us?*
Jan. 18, 2023
It wasn’t so long ago that the world was truly on fire with climate
alarm. In September 2019, millions of people around the world
participated in a global climate strike, the largest ever, calling for
immediate World War II-scale mobilization against the climate crisis in
more than 150 countries. A week later, several million marched again.
The marches had been organized by Fridays for Future, the youth movement
founded by Greta Thunberg, which had been striking every week all year
and drawing tens or even hundreds of thousands of protests in a given city.

If Thunberg was the patron saint of this new global climate protest
army, Extinction Rebellion was its radical flank. The group announced
itself in the fall of 2018, as Thunberg was first gaining attention in
Stockholm, with a series of protests in London designed to shut down the
city center and force a frank conversation about the state of the
climate crisis. “Tell the truth” was the group’s chief demand.

XR was a self-consciously radical outfit, decentralized in structure,
and blockaded highways and stock exchanges and disrupted subway service,
among other protests. The approach incurred a cost, and much of the
British public turned against the group. But it also helped move the
needle of public opinion on climate somewhat dramatically in Britain and
generated a series of commitments from even the conservative governments
under Prime Ministers Theresa May and Boris Johnson. More recently, its
tactics have been embraced and replicated by a new suite of disruptive
climate groups: Insulate Britain, Scientist Rebellion and Just Stop Oil,
which has tossed soup onto museum canvases.

Then, on New Year’s Eve, XR U.K. made a surprise announcement: “We quit.”

“Despite the blaring alarm on the climate and ecological emergency
ringing loud and clear, very little has changed,” the group declared in
a statement. “As we ring in the New Year, we make a controversial
resolution to temporarily shift away from public disruption as a primary
tactic.” Instead, the group declared it was going to focus on mass
mobilization to pressure those in power rather than shaming or
inconveniencing everyday citizens.

In certain ways, the turn reflected debates that have preoccupied the
group’s leadership for years. The former XR spokesperson Rupert Read has
spent much of the last few years advocating for a “moderate flank” — a
more broad-based climate movement less defined by its most radical
members. But the XR co-founder Roger Hallam, who left the group to found
Just Stop Oil, has been subtweeting the announcement from prison.
(“Disruption is not a tactic,” he wrote recently, but “a way of being in
the face of the infinity of evil.”) Elsewhere, other groups have staged
disruptive protests, as in Germany, where police and protesters have
clashed near an open-pit coal mine and Greta Thunberg has been arrested
twice.

This month, I spoke to Clare Farrell, a co-founder of XR, and Alanna
Byrne, who coordinates its press team, about the strategic turn and why
the group believes the time for it is now. This conversation below has
been edited and condensed.

Let’s just start narrowly with the statement itself. The headline is a
little bit of a red herring. What are you quitting and where did that
decision come from?
What are you quitting and where did that decision come from?

Climate change around the world: In “Postcards From a World on Fire,”
193 stories from individual countries show how climate change is
reshaping reality everywhere, from dying coral reefs in Fiji to
disappearing oases in Morocco and far, far beyond.

The role of our leaders: Writing at the end of 2020, Al Gore, the 45th
vice president of the United States, found reasons for optimism in the
Biden presidency, a feeling perhaps borne out by the passing of major
climate legislation. That doesn’t mean there haven’t been criticisms.
For example, Charles Harvey and Kurt House argue that subsidies for
climate capture technology will ultimately be a waste.

The worst climate risks, mapped: In this feature, select a country, and
we'll break down the climate hazards it faces. In the case of America,
our maps, developed with experts, show where extreme heat is causing the
most deaths.

What people can do: Justin Gillis and Hal Harvey describe the types of
local activism that might be needed, while Saul Griffith points to how
Australia shows the way on rooftop solar. Meanwhile, small changes at
the office might be one good way to cut significant emissions, writes
Carlos Gamarra.

Alanna Byrne: The media have framed it as us saying we’re stopping
disruption altogether, which isn’t exactly right. What we’re saying is
that we’re going to take a step back from disrupting the public in the
way that we have been — disrupting roads and bridges and getting in the
way of people going about their day-to-day business — and instead going
straight to government. Disrupting the perpetrators more. We’re working
toward a big date in April where we’re aiming to get 100,000 people to
come to Parliament.- -

But if there’s still so much misunderstanding, why is that then a moment
to take a moderate turn, rather than calling out the hypocrisy and
malfeasance a little bit more aggressively?

Farrell: I fully intend to carry on speaking about the crisis in that way.

Byrne: In all honesty, as much as people are becoming more aware here,
there does feel like there’s a complacency where people still feel like
someone else is going to do it for them. People are waiting for the next
election as though that’s going to be the thing that’s going to fix
everything. And I think part of our role right now is to say that’s not
necessarily going to fix everything. We need you to fully engage with
this and come out onto the street.

For me, the statement is quite clear that it’s a short time that we are
saying that we’ll do this in order to build up to something in April and
then reassess.

So your message to Parliament is, basically: There are many more people
who have much greater demands on climate than you might think. Is that
right?

Farrell: Completely. But in addition to pushing that Overton window
about what’s a reasonable ask of a political system, there’s also
pushing the conversation about the fact that the systematic problems of
our politics as it is set up today. Our politics is completely incapable
of doing anything about these problems in a short space of time, which
is when it needs to happen.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/18/opinion/climate-alarmism.html

/[ Time to let gas stoves expire  - 5 min video ]/
*I Measured the Pollution From My Gas Stove. It Was Bad.*
Distilled
20,917 views  Jan 17, 2023
There's been a lot of news about gas stoves. At first, I was skeptical
about the panic over these appliances. But then I measured the indoor
air pollution from our stove and talked to public health experiments.
You can view all sources, learn more about my experiment, and listen to
behind-the-scenes interviews on the Distilled website.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEWP44eKIVw

/[  Mostly ice, but now it's warmer ice  ]/
*Parts of Greenland now hotter than at any time in the past 1,000 years,
scientists say*
New research in the northern part of Greenland finds temperatures are
already 2.7 degrees warmer than they were in the 20th century
By Chris Mooney
January 18, 2023
The coldest and highest parts of the Greenland ice sheet, nearly two
miles above sea level in many locations, are warming rapidly and showing
changes that are unprecedented in at least a millennium, scientists
reported Wednesday.

That’s the finding from research that extracted multiple 100-foot or
longer cores of ice from atop the world’s second-largest ice sheet. The
samples allowed the researchers to construct a new temperature record
based on the oxygen bubbles stored inside them, which reflect the
temperatures at the time when the ice was originally laid down.

“We find the 2001-2011 decade the warmest of the whole period of 1,000
years,” said Maria Hörhold, the study’s lead author and a scientist at
the Alfred Wegener Institute in Bremerhaven, Germany.

Sign up for the latest news about climate change, energy and the
environment, delivered every Thursday

Because warming has only continued since that time, the finding is
probably an underestimate of how much the climate in the high-altitude
areas of northern and central Greenland has changed. That is bad news
for the planet’s coastlines, because it suggests a long-term process of
melting is being set in motion that could ultimately deliver some
significant, if hard to quantify, fraction of Greenland’s total mass
into the oceans. Overall, Greenland contains enough ice to raise sea
levels by more than 20 feet.
- -
Recent research has also demonstrated that in past warm periods within
Earth’s relatively recent history (i.e., the last 50,000 years or so),
this part of Greenland has often held less ice than it does today. In
other words, the ice stream might extend farther outward from the center
of Greenland than can be sustained at current temperatures, and be
strongly prone to moving backward and giving up a lot of ice.

“Paleoclimate and modeling studies suggest that northeast Greenland is
especially vulnerable to climate warming,” said Beata Csatho, an ice
sheet expert at the University at Buffalo.

In the same year when the researchers were drilling the ice cores on
which the current work is based — 2012 — something striking happened in
Greenland. That summer, in July, vast portions of the ice sheet saw
surface-melt conditions, including in the cold and very high-elevation
locations where the research took place.

“It was the first year it has been observed that you have melting in
these elevations,” Hörhold said. “And now it continues.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/01/18/greenland-hotter-temperatures/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=wp_energy_and_environment&wpisrc=nl_green
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/01/18/greenland-hotter-temperatures/

/[ Elon Musk pushes climate denial -- is this important?   Perhaps no
one cares  Or maybe it's comical?  5 min video report ]/
*Climate misinformation increase on social media*
CP24
  Jan 19, 2023
New report has found climate change-related misinformation has sky
rocketed on Twitter since Elon Musk’s takeover of the platform.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgJ-xwXZ0zA

/[ fair and intelligent report on DAVOS from Aljazeera Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CJFaJAicd8 ]/
*Al Jazeera is funded in whole or in part by the Qatari government.
Wikipedia *
Is globalisation coming to end? | Inside Story
Al Jazeera English
98,359 views  Jan 16, 2023  #WorldEconomicForum2023 #Davos2023 #WEF2023
The richest and most influential leaders on the planet have kickstarted
their annual World Economic Forum in Davos.
They began gathering this week.
And so did protesters.
They include a group of millionaires who want those who are attending to
get serious about global wealth disparities.
Inside and sticking to tradition, the WEF's Founder and Executive
Chairman - Klaus Schwab - gave the opening speech.
He said the world is stuck in a, quote 'crisis mindset'
But after Covid-19 and with the war in Ukraine ongoing, how can that be
fixed?
And can the geopolitical challenges be overcome?

Presenter: Laura Kyle
Guests Max Lawson, head of inequality policy and advocacy at Oxfam
International.
Shirley Yu, senior practitioner fellow at Harvard Kennedy School and
member of the Davos Expert Network.

Inderjeet Parmar,  professor of International Politics at City
University of London and author of 'Foundations of the American Century'.
Subscribe to our channel: http://bit.ly/AJSubscribe
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AJEnglish
Find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aljazeera
Check our website: http://www.aljazeera.com/
Check out our Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/aljazeeraen...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CJFaJAicd8

/[ economics of other nations -- Germany for instance ]/
*Varieties of the Rat Race: Conspicuous Consumption in the US & Germany*
New Economic Thinking
Jan 11, 2023
Why are we still in the rat race?

Till van Treeck (@unidue & @thenewschool) shares his insightful research
on how Conspicuous Consumption, Working Hours, and Veblen Effects
impacts income inequality in Advanced Economies.

Explore his role at the University of Duisberg-Essen
https://imprs.mpifg.de/48961/till-van...

Popular Publication: Varieties of Capitalism and growth regimes: the
role of income distribution
https://academic.oup.com/ser/article/...

INET Blog Post on the Rate Race and Age of Leisure
https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspec...

Check out his newest publication “Varieties of the rat race: Working
hours in the age of abundance”
https://academic.oup.com/ser/advance-...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W03DMQ7uxY

/[ Looking back at the very first work by a brilliant communicator -
Peter Sinclair.  His channel -
-https://www.youtube.com/@greenman3610/videos - amounts to a full course
for anyone to discover our predicament -- he delivers a persistent,
polite counter attack on climate change deniers.  His work is
foundational ] /
/*January 21, 2009
*/January 21, 2009: Peter Sinclair's "Climate Denial Crock of the Week"
video series debuts.
Climate Denial Crock of the Week- "It's cold. So there's no Climate Change"
greenman3610
16.8K subscribers
45,270 views  Jan 21, 2009
"I looked outside, and it was snowing, therefore, there is no climate
change."
If that's what passes for rational thought in your social group, you owe
it to yourself to watch this edition of Climate Denial Crock of the Week.
http://youtu.be/l0JsdSDa_bM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0JsdSDa_bM

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli