[✔️] July 3, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Bummer summer, Greenland fracks, Eco econ, Consider degrowth, new review of climate indicators, Climate crisis or crime, 2009 Ak Gov Palin

R.Pauli Richard at CredoandScreed.com
Mon Jul 3 04:44:44 EDT 2023

/*July*//*3, 2023*/

[ Axios ]
*Climate change upends summer travel*
Erica Pandey, author of Axios Finish Line
Destinations that were once ideal for summer travel are now on the
decline because of extreme heat and other effects of climate change.

Why it matters: Many of the world’s natural wonders have been so
severely altered by our warming planet that it’s getting too late to
save them.

-- “The number one message is that nowhere is safe.” said Kate Marvel, a
senior climate scientist at Project Drawdown. “There’s always the
potential for a nasty surprise.”...
https://www.axios.com/2023/07/02/summer-travel-heat-smoke-italy-spain-florida

/[ many geologist regard ice as a rock worthy of geological study.
https://www.youtube.com/@GEOGIRL/search?query=ice%20 ] /
*Meltwater is hydro-fracking Greenland’s ice sheet through millions of
hairline cracks – destabilizing its internal structure*
Published: June 29, 2023
I’m striding along the steep bank of a raging white-water torrent, and
even though the canyon is only about the width of a highway, the river’s
flow is greater than that of London’s Thames. The deafening roar and
rumble of the cascading water is incredible – a humbling reminder of the
raw power of nature.

As I round a corner, I am awestruck at a completely surreal sight: A
gaping fissure has opened in the riverbed, and it is swallowing the
water in a massive whirlpool, sending up huge spumes of spray. This
might sound like a computer-generated scene from a blockbuster action
movie – but it’s real./../
- -
Scenes like this and new research into the ice sheet’s mechanics are
challenging traditional thinking about what happens inside and under ice
sheets, where observations are extremely challenging yet have stark
implications. They suggest that Earth’s remaining ice sheets in
Greenland and Antarctica are far more vulnerable to climate warming than
models predict, and that the ice sheets may be destabilizing from inside.
- -
In a new paper, Dave Chandler and I demonstrate that ice sheets are
littered with millions of tiny hairline cracks that are forced open by
the meltwater from the rivers and streams that intercept them.

Because glacier ice is so brittle at the surface, such cracks are
ubiquitous across the melt zones of all glaciers, ice sheets and ice
shelves. Yet because they are so tiny, they can’t be detected by
satellite remote sensing.
- -
Emerging processes that speed up ice loss
Over the past two decades that scientists have tracked ice sheet melt
and flow in earnest, melt events have become more common and more
intense as global temperatures rise – further exacerbated by Arctic
warming of almost four times the global mean.

The ice sheet is also flowing and calving icebergs much faster. It has
lost about 270 billion metric tons of ice per year since 2002: over a
centimeter and a half (half an inch) of global sea-level rise. Greenland
is now, on average, contributing around 1 millimeter (0.04 inches) to
the sea level budget annually.

A 2022 study found that even if atmospheric warming stopped now, at
least 27 centimeters – nearly 1 foot – of sea level rise is inevitable
because of Greenland’s imbalance with its past two decades of climate.
- -
Current climate models lowball the risks
Along with other applied glaciologists, “structured expert judgment” and
a few candid modelers, I contend that the current generation of ice
sheet models used to inform the IPCC are not capturing the abrupt
changes being observed in Greenland and Antarctica, or the risks that
lie ahead.

Ice sheet models don’t include these emerging feedbacks and respond over
millennia to strong-warming perturbations, leading to sluggish sea level
forecasts that are lulling policymakers into a false sense of security.
We’ve come a long way since the first IPCC reports in the early 1990s,
which treated polar ice sheets as completely static entities, but we’re
still short of capturing reality./
/https://theconversation.com/meltwater-is-hydro-fracking-greenlands-ice-sheet-through-millions-of-hairline-cracks-destabilizing-its-internal-structure-207468/
/

/- -
/

/[  From publication nature geoscience ]/
*Widespread partial-depth hydrofractures in ice sheets driven by
supraglacial streams*/
/Abstract

    Dramatic supraglacial lake drainage events in Greenland and
    Antarctica are enabled by rapid hydrofracture propagation through
    ice over 1 km thick. Here we present a slower mode of hydrofracture,
    where hairline surface fractures intersect supraglacial streams, and
    hypothesize that penetration depth is critically limited by water
    supply and englacial refreezing. We develop a model of stream-fed
    hydrofracture, and find that under most conditions in Greenland,
    2-cm-wide fractures can penetrate hundreds of metres before freezing
    closed. Conditions for full-depth hydrofracture are more restricted,
    requiring larger meltwater channels and/or warm englacial
    conditions. Given the abundance of streams and surface fractures
    across Greenland and Antarctica’s expanding ablation zones, we
    propose that stream-driven hydrofractures are ubiquitous—even where
    distant from supraglacial lakes and crevasse fields. This intriguing
    process remains undetectable by current satellite remote sensing,
    yet has two major impacts that warrant further investigation. First,
    by driving widespread cryohydrologic warming at depths far greater
    than surface crevassing, it explains a consistent cold bias in
    modelled englacial thermal profiles. Second, the associated
    reduction in ice viscosity and increased damage accumulation act to
    enhance the vulnerability of ice sheets and shelves to dynamic
    instability as supraglacial drainage networks expand inland to
    higher elevations.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-023-01208-0/

/[ What are our long term goals?  How much can we influence physics of
our environment?  Does economics have any power to do that?]/
*What Is Ecological Economics?*
Dan O'Neill
May 25, 2021  Ecological Economics
What is ecological economics, and how does it differ from mainstream (or
neoclassical) economics? Ecological economics began in part as an
attempt to bring together ecology and economics – to bridge the gap
between a natural and social science. Today it a transdisciplinary field
that covers topics from degrowth to the Doughnut of social and planetary
boundaries. In this short lecture, I discuss the history, fundamental
vision, and modern focus of ecological economics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUF7s4Bp_ok

/[ Serious discussion no matter whether degrowth is choice or disease
video 1:33 ]/
*The Limits of Degrowth | Webinar Recording*
Our Climate Declaration - Aotearoa NZ
May 18, 2023
We hosted a webinar by Rod Oram on Wednesday May 17.

Humanity’s greatest challenge is to meet its needs within the limits of
the Living Earth. But currently both sides of that relationship are
heading fast in the wrong direction.

Our population could grow by another 20 percent to some 10 billion
people by 2050; and the way we use the Earth's resources is ever more
rapidly diminishing the Earth's ability to support us and all other
forms of life.

The quest for a healthy relationship between people and planet takes
many forms such as degrowth and other changes in behaviour, economics,
values, technology, and other drivers of human activity.

In this session, Rod examined the weaknesses of degrowth in particular;
and offer some other ways humanity can re-establish its right
relationship with the Living Earth.

The slides from this webinar can be viewed here:
https://assets.nationbuilder.com/ourc...

Business journalist Rod Oram contributes weekly to Newsroom and Newstalk
ZB. He is a public speaker on deep sustainability, business, economics,
and innovation. Rod is a member of the Edmund Hillary Fellowship, which
brings together people from here and abroad who seek to contribute to
global change from Aotearoa.

Rod’s climate journalism has been recognised in the Global 2022 Covering
Climate Now Awards (https://coveringclimatenow.org/projec.... He
received an Honourable Mention in the commentary category
(https://coveringclimatenow.org/coveri...) with the judges saying: “With
humour, crisp writing, and thorough analysis, Oram guides the reader
through the many players and agendas behind the climate pledges by
corporations.”

In Citigroup’s annual global journalism awards, Rod was the winner in
2019 in the General Business category in the Australia and NZ region for
his columns in Newsroom on Fonterra; and he was the NZ Journalist of the
year.

In the New Zealand Shareholders’ Association Business Journalism Awards,
Rod won the Business Commentary category in 2018 and 2020 for his
Newsroom columns.

Rod was a founding trustee and the second chairman of Ākina Foundation,
which helps social enterprises develop their business models in areas of
sustainability. He remains actively involved with the foundation and the
ventures it supports.

In 2016, Bridget Williams Books published Rod’s most recent book, Three
Cities: Seeking Hope in the Anthropocene, details at
https://www.bwb.co.nz/books/three-cities

In 2020, Rod contributed a chapter to 100% Pure Future: New Zealand
Tourism Renewed, https://www.bwb.co.nz/books/100-pure-... another BWB Text.

In 2021, Rod contributed a chapter on land use, agriculture and food to
Climate Aotearoa: What’s happening and what we can do about. This
collection of essays was edited by Helen Clark, the former NZ Prime
Minister and head of the United Nations Development Programme, and
published by Allen & Unwin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLsv_rKbpJs

/[  YouTube - set quality higher ]/
*More Climate Updates based on Dr. Peter Carter’s Slides*
Paul Beckwith
Jun 28, 2023
Title speaks for itself. Lots of climate updates, reads like a Stephen
King horror novel, but it’s real, and happening on a planet near you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooi-XhJsGVM

- -

/[  self organized by a group of 50 international scientists from 40
different universities and government laboratories. ]/
*Indicators of Global Climate Change*
The Indicators of Global Climate Change (IGCC) initiative is providing
updates of several key global climate indicators reported by the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) that can help us to
understand the state of the climate system and how it is changing.

The focus is on providing up-to-date estimates of policy-relevant global
climate indicators that follow the causal chain from emissions to
warming, including greenhouse gas emissions, human induced warming and
the remaining global carbon budget.

In doing so, IGCC brings together timely information that can support
effective climate decision-making in a findable, accessible, traceable
and reproducible way.

The methodologies used to update the indicators are directly traceable
back to the IPCC Sixth Assessment Report (AR6). The underpinning
publication which describes these methodologies, and also provides
further context and background.

IGCC is also working with the Climate Change Tracker to provide a
reliable, user-friendly platform for tracking, visualising and
understanding these indicators, aimed at policy-makers but open and
accessible to all.
- -
The speed and extent of climate change that the world is now
experiencing highlights the need for urgent climate action in this
critical decade.

Decisions need to be based on trusted, reliable and timely information,
but when it comes to the key climate system indicators set out in
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reports, there is an
information gap between one IPCC assessment cycle and the next.
https://www.igcc.earth/

- -

/[ August 1st is a day of action ] /
*It’s Not A Climate Crisis. It’s A Climate CRIME.*
Ray Katz
Calling it a crises, or worse climate “change”, protects the criminals
who are committing the most evil crime in human history.

The post-apocalyptic sight of an orange hued toxic film blanketing New
York City was not a symptom of climate change or even a climate crisis.
True, there IS a climate crisis but this crisis did not appear
spontaneously.

This crisis was a crime that was committed and the criminals are still
at large, still poisoning and cooking the Earth. They are the
“masterminds” behind the current Great Extinction.

This isn’t a tragedy. It’s a CRIME. Criminals poisoned New York City.
Many of the leading criminals who are responsible live there. For them,
it may be the first time they directly saw what they have done.

It won’t be the last time. And they can’t hide behind that cloud of
smoke. The smoke exposes them.

People will be asking the question: “Who did this?” And everyone knows
the answer. It has remained unspoken. We hear “it’s complicated.” Or “we
need oil”. Or, “all of us need to shrink our carbon footprints.”
- -
Our media — enthralled by lies or paid accomplices to the criminals —
aren’t telling us much. But things are happening. People are doing
things. Children of the leading climate criminals are pressuring their
parents. And ordinary people are talking, finding each other, starting
to recognize they have huge numbers and power.

People are forming communities of activists. They are waking up. The
entire planet is like the Soviet Union in 1990. There isn’t a visible
hint of what is coming. But there is a feel to it. Despair is real, but
so is anger, frustration and a determination to not go quietly...
https://ray-katz.medium.com/its-not-a-climate-crisis-it-s-a-climate-crime-8b428143e660

/[The news archive - looking back a Ak gov Palin]/
/*July 3, 2009 */
July 3, 2009: Alaska Governor Sarah Palin announces her resignation
from  office; shortly thereafter, she sets herself up as a right-wing
crusader against federal climate legislation.

http://youtu.be/kM0ZbNA8_ro

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/jul/20/sarah-palin/palin-flips-her-support-cap-and-trade/

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli