[✔️] July 4, 2023- Global Warming News Digest |El Niño summer, Meat makes more heat, Avoiding mayhem, Earth systems,Nature safe and just, 2011 Fox

Tue Jul 4 11:17:58 EDT 2023

/*July*//*4, 2023*/

/[ planning for summer  ] /
*Will El Niño on top of global heating create the perfect climate storm?*
Rising temperatures in north Atlantic and drop in Antarctic sea ice
prompt fears of widespread damage from extreme weather
Jonathan Watts, Julian Amani, Paul Scruton and Lucy Swan
Mon 3 Jul 2023
“Very unusual”, “worrying”, “terrifying”, and “bonkers”; the reactions
of veteran scientists to the sharp increase in north Atlantic surface
temperatures over the past three months raises the question of whether
the world’s climate has entered a more erratic and dangerous phase with
the onset of an El Niño event on top of human-made global heating.

Since April, the warming appears to have entered a new trajectory.
Meanwhile the area of global sea ice has dropped by more than 1 million
sq km below the previous low.

“If a few decades ago, some people might have thought climate change was
a relatively slow-moving phenomenon, we are now witnessing our climate
changing at a terrifying rate,” said Prof Peter Stott, who leads the UK
Met Office’s climate monitoring and attribution team. “As the El Niño
builds through the rest of this year, adding an extra oomph to the
damaging effects of human-induced global heating, many millions of
people across the planet and many diverse ecosystems are going to face
extraordinary challenges and unfortunately suffer great damage.”...
- -
Many things are still uncertain. Scientists will not know for a couple
of months how severe El Niño will be. Its wind-sheering effect could
inhibit storm formation and help to balance out the pressure of the
sea-level temperature. The north Atlantic heat spike is already showing
signs that it may fade.

But there is no doubt among scientists that things will continue to get
worse as long as greenhouse gases continue to rise and natural climate
stabilisers, such as the Amazon, continue to be cut down.

Hayhoe said the trends made her feel “even more concerned and even more
motivated to ensure I’m doing everything I can to help people understand
the profound risks climate change poses to them and how each of us can
be a powerful advocate for climate action”.

“It makes me feel sad and anxious,” said Stott. “Sad for the level of
environmental destruction going on around the world, including the
continuing destruction of the Amazon rainforest. And anxious for how
people are going to cope if this carries on much longer, not just in
far-away places that are already very hot and dry, but here in the UK
where fires, flash floods and droughts are getting more and more
frequent and intense. It isn’t a secure and sustaining future to look
forward to. I still hope a turning point can be reached such that
greenhouse gas emissions do start to reduce rapidly. And I know that
this can be done without devastating our quality of life, quite the
opposite in fact.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jul/03/a-perfect-storm-scientists-ponder-if-climate-has-entered-a-new-erratic-era

/[ see this video before you eat burgers or beef  ]/
*Why scientists believe meat has dire consequences for the planet*
Plant Chompers
Oct 5, 2021
Is meat wrecking the planet? The debate is fiery but the answer is simple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpolaxjhxJw

/[  Beckwith explains a new presentation - YouTube ]/
*Safe and Just Earth System Boundaries to Avoid Planetary Mayhem*
Paul Beckwith
Jul 2, 2023
A new peer-reviewed landmark paper came out that looks at planetary
limits that we are fast approaching and have already crossed. Clearly,
our time has come to change our ways or head further down the road to
global catastrophe.

The Stockholm Resilience Center has been publishing papers on Planetary
Limits for years.

In this paper, the concepts of “safe” versus “just” are put into
thresholds on the planetary limits scale, and “just” is a much tighter
limit.

In this video I chat about the new findings from this landmark paper,
and what it says about our choices today that will decide our future path.

The idea of “just” or “justice” is in a framework or the so-called 3 “i”s:

    1) interspecies justice and the rejection of human exceptionalism

    2) intergenerstional justice, including justice for the no-yet but
    to be born

    3) intragenetational justice between countries, communities, and
    individuals

Safety is not enough. Without justice, we have nothing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm21_naoWxE

- -

/[ longer video 3:40 ]/
*Earth System Boundaries For A Just World On A Safe Planet*
We Don't Have Time
Premiered Jun 9, 2023
Future Earth and the Earth Commission - a part of the Global Commons
Alliance - invite you to join ‘Earth systems boundaries for a just world
on a safe planet’, live on We Don't Have Time on June 9.

The Earth Commission has defined a new set of boundaries that will
inform science-based-targets for governments, cities and businesses to
work toward, in order to secure a safe and just future in which humans
and nature can thrive. By centering justice at its heart, this new
science represents a quantum leap in our ability to understand Earth’s
capacity to sustain life, and the role we humans play as guardians of
our only home and each other.

Join us, live on We Don't Have Time as we engage with this new
scientific framework.
Read More: www.wedonthavetime.org/events/earthsystemboundaries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yhoG946ZxA

- -

/[ nature ]/
*Safe and just Earth system boundaries*
Published: 31 May 2023

    Abstract
    The stability and resilience of the Earth system and human
    well-being are inseparably linked, yet their interdependencies are
    generally under-recognized; consequently, they are often treated
    independently. Here, we use modelling and literature assessment to
    quantify safe and just Earth system boundaries (ESBs) for climate,
    the biosphere, water and nutrient cycles, and aerosols at global and
    subglobal scales. We propose ESBs for maintaining the resilience and
    stability of the Earth system (safe ESBs) and minimizing exposure to
    significant harm to humans from Earth system change (a necessary but
    not sufficient condition for justice). The stricter of the safe or
    just boundaries sets the integrated safe and just ESB. Our findings
    show that justice considerations constrain the integrated ESBs more
    than safety considerations for climate and atmospheric aerosol
    at least two regional safe and just ESBs in over half of global land
    area are already exceeded. We propose that our assessment provides a
    quantitative foundation for safeguarding the global commons for all
    people now and into the future.

/[The news archive - looking back at disinformation attempts by Joe
Bastardi ]/
/*July 4, 2011 */
July 4, 2011: The Fox News Channel celebrates its independence from
reality by bringing on infamous climate-change denier Joe Bastardi to
attack those concerned about carbon pollution.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2011/07/06/fox-celebrates-july-4-by-trying-to-debunk-globa/180569

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-friends/fox-celebrates-july-4-trying-debunk-global-warming-again

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli