[✔️] July 10, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | RealClimate, BBC says heat, Salon collapse quickly, Dr Julia Steinberger, Banks finance chaos, Paris agreement, TikToc's climate denial, 2007 Rachael Maddow

Mon Jul 10 07:18:30 EDT 2023

/*July*//*10, 2023*/

/[ RealClimate is top-notch, most respected web site concerning global
warming  ] /
*Back to basics*
8 JUL 2023 BY GAVIN
*You can tell how worried the climate deniers are by how many fields of
science they have to trash to try and have people not see what’s happening.*

it will not have escaped most people’s notice that global temperatures
are heading into uncharted territory. The proximate cause of this week’s
headlines is the Climate Reanalyzer website at the U. Maine which
provides a nice front end to the NOAA NCEP CFS forecast system and
reanalysis and shows absolute daily temperatures in early July clearly
exceeding the highest pre-existing temperatures from August 2016. It’s
an arresting graphic, and follows in from the record high ocean surface
temperatures that were being reported a month ago.
- - https://www.realclimate.org/images/cfsr_world_t2_day.png
This is however a relatively new resource and was not online the last
time that we set absolute temperature records (in summer 2016). So this
has both salience and novelty – a potent combination!

The ultimate cause of these patterns is of course the ongoing global
warming, driven almost entirely by human activities...
- -
As we’ve explained before, all global temperature products are based on
some kind of model – statistical, physical etc. There is no direct
measurement of the global temperature – not from satellites, stations,
or from the one random person who happens to be in most average place on
Earth (where might that even be?). But that doesn’t mean the products
aren’t useful!

In this particular instance we are looking at the output of a weather
forecast model (NCEP CFS) that ingests multiple sources of in situ and
satellite data every 3 hours which is then averaged over a day and over
the surface of the planet. These calculations are precise reflections of
what is in the model, but for multiple reasons this might not be a
perfect reflection of what the real world is doing...
https://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2023/07/back-to-basics/

/[  BBC says ]/
*Heatwaves: Why this summer has been so hot*
Published 7/9/23
Climate change
By Justin Rowlatt, Climate editor, BBC News
It is hot. Very hot. And we are only a few weeks into summer.

Texas and part of the south-west of the US are enduring a searing
heatwave. At one point, more than 120 million Americans were under some
form of heat advisory, the US National Weather Service said. That is
more than one in three of the total population.

In the UK, the June heat didn't just break all-time records, it smashed
them. It was 0.9C hotter than the previous record, set back in 1940.
That is a huge margin.

There is a similar story of unprecedented hot weather in North Africa,
the Middle East and Asia...
- -
The average world temperature hit 16.89C on Monday 3 July and topped 17C
for the first time on 4 July, with an average global temperature of 17.04C.

Provisional figures suggest that was exceeded on 5 July when
temperatures reached 17.05C.

These highs are in line with what climate models predicted, says Prof
Richard Betts, climate scientist at the Met Office and University of Exeter.

"We should not be at all surprised with the high global temperatures,"
he says. "This is all a stark reminder of what we've known for a long
time, and we will see ever more extremes until we stop building up more
greenhouse gases in the atmosphere."...
- -
That marine heatwave has been particularly pronounced around the coasts
of the UK, where some areas have experienced temperatures as much as 5C
above what you would normally expect for this time of year...
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-66143682

/[From Salon magazine ]/
*Ecosystem collapse could occur "surprisingly quickly," study finds*
A new model suggests feedback loops could accelerate environmental
breakdowns
By MATTHEW ROZSA
Staff Writer...
On the heels of several consecutive record-breaking "hottest days ever,"
it has become increasingly clear that there is an urgent need to address
human-caused climate change. After all, a recent study published in the
scientific journal PNAS revealed that the types of so-called compound
drought and heatwaves that humanity is currently experiencing — these
are known as CDHW events — are projected to become what co-author Dr.
Michael E. Mann labelled a "new abnormal."...
- -
Similarly, Willcock told Salon that "there is still hope! Obviously, we
want to try to avoid collapsing ecosystems as that would have huge
consequences for many species, including us. By reducing emissions and
using ecosystems more sustainably, we can hopefully avoid putting
ecosystems under pressures they can't bear. Also, if any ecosystems do
collapse, in future, we hope to learn how to apply pressure in a
positive direction to trigger rapid ecosystem recovery."...
- -
Similarly, Willcock told Salon that "there is still hope! Obviously, we
want to try to avoid collapsing ecosystems as that would have huge
consequences for many species, including us. By reducing emissions and
using ecosystems more sustainably, we can hopefully avoid putting
ecosystems under pressures they can't bear. Also, if any ecosystems do
collapse, in future, we hope to learn how to apply pressure in a
positive direction to trigger rapid ecosystem recovery."
https://www.salon.com/2023/07/09/ecosystem-collapse-could-occur-surprisingly-quickly-study-finds/

/[ fossil fuel industry misbehavior -14 min video interview - they are
not good-faith actors - confrontation instead of perseverance ]/
*Dr Julia Steinberger | The hour before dawn is always the darkest
(Summary Version)*
Nick Breeze ClimateGenn
Premiered July 9, 2023  ClimateGenn #podcast produced by Nick Breeze
Episode full contents:
[To Join use above link or here for Patreon: https://patreon.com/genncc)

    1. Fossil fuel companies were never a partner is solving climate
    change.
    2. The possible world that we see emerging around us.
    3. How do we face the strength of the fossil fuel industry?4. COP28
    is symbolic of political failure.
    5. Fossil fuel companies are trying to take over key structural
    processes.
    6. We must all use our collective agency.
    7. The Energy Charter Treaty (ETC), and why it must be ended.
    8. The fossil fuel industry is fragile; don’t be duped into inaction.
    9. There is another world we can create from this.
    10. Become the mainstream by better articulating the mission.

Links:
https://www.fossilbanks.org/
https://fossilfueltreaty.org/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1HvU98fRYA

- -

/[ follow the money ]/
*Banks are financing climate chaos*
Time is up. To prevent full climate breakdown, the fossil fuel era must
come to an end now. Yet, commercial banks continue to pour trillions
into the coal, oil and gas industry. Together we will stop them.
All over the world, organizations are campaigning to end bank financing
for the fossil fuel industry. This platform presents their work. Explore
and join the growing movement!
https://www.fossilbanks.org/

- -

/[ Dawn of the ECT   ]/
*The Paris Agreement doesn’t mention fossil fuels. *
The COP27 outcome didn’t mention oil and gas.
It’s time for a Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty.

The Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty Initiative is a global effort
to foster international cooperation to accelerate a transition to clean
energy for everyone, end the expansion of coal, oil and gas, and
equitably phase out existing production in keeping with what science
shows is needed to address the climate crisis. It builds on decades of
calls and campaigns for a fossil fuel phase out and fair energy
transition by government, civil society, Indigenous, grassroots and
other leaders - particularly from the Global South and aims to
compliment other movements tactics such as divestment, debt relief and
fossil fuel bans as well as the work being advanced by the Beyond Oil
and Gas Alliance and the Power Past Coal Alliance.

While the Paris Agreement set a crucial global climate target, many
governments - including self-proclaimed climate leaders - have continued
to approve new coal, oil and gas projects even though burning the
world’s current fossil fuel reserves would result in seven times more
emissions than what is compatible with keeping warming below 1.5ºC.

We need governments to join a bloc of Pacific nations spearheaded by
Vanuatu and Tuvalu in developing a Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty.
https://fossilfueltreaty.org/

/[  BBC reports on disinformation battles - and why it is cognitively
icky to watch Tik-Tok  - 6 min video ]/
*Does TikTok have a climate change denial problem? – BBC News*
BBC News
Jul 9, 2023  #BBCNews #Climate #TikTok
Earlier this year, TikTok vowed to clamp down on climate change denial
on its platform.
But a BBC investigation has found hundreds of videos are still spreading
false information about the climate crisis.
We speak to the scientific experts who have taken to the app to try and
tackle climate conspiracies directly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42xHuSmwYa4

/[The news archive - looking back at early, smart attacks at the
misinformation battle.  Superb to see Don't miss ]/
/*July 10, 2007 */
July 10, 2007: On MSNBC's "Countdown with Keith Olbermann," Air America
host Rachel Maddow points out the mainstream media's fetish for false
balance, specifically citing climate coverage.
http://youtu.be/vcMFwuu_UlA

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli