[✔️] July 15, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Death Valley record, Jason Box on ice, Flood maps, hot Florida, Non-fiction book by Lipsky, All positive news, XR radical screed, 1976 Jimmy Carter

Sat Jul 15 05:55:45 EDT 2023

/*July*//*15, 2023*/

/[ Big record to break -  that's 54º Celsius -- and no max  ]/
*Death Valley Could Set a World Record Hot Temperature*
The temperature in Death Valley could rise above 130 degrees Fahrenheit
this weekend. If it does, it would set a record for the hottest
temperature ever reliably measured on Earth
By Andrea Thompson on July 14, 2023

Amid a punishing heat wave gripping the U.S. Southwest, Death Valley,
Calif., could tie or set the record for the hottest temperature ever
reliably measured on Earth.

That record currently stands at a temperature of 130 degrees Fahrenheit
set there in August 2020 and again in July 2021. Such heat records are
becoming more likely—and record cold temperatures less likely—as the
Earth heats up from the greenhouse gases released into the atmosphere by
humans burning fossil fuels.

Death Valley, as its name suggests, is sweltering—it’s known as the
hottest place on Earth thanks to its desert climate and the local
topography. Summer temperatures there often soar past 120 degrees F even
in the shade, according to the National Park Service. Because the area’s
dry climate is coupled with typically clear skies, the sun constantly
heats up the ground, and that heat radiates back into the air. When the
air rises, it gets trapped by the steep walls of the valley, which sits
282 feet below sea level. It cools very slightly and starts to descend.
As it does so, it compresses and heats up again, making the valley a
virtual blowtorch of hot air.

Temperatures in Death Valley could rocket past their usual,
already-mind-boggling typical values because of a heat dome that has
trapped sizzling hot air over the southern tier of the U.S. Records
could also be set in Las Vegas, Nev., Phoenix, Ariz. and parts of
Southern California. Phoenix has already seen 14 days in a row with high
temperatures at or above 110 degrees F, which is the third-longest such
stretch on record. Texas has had weeks of hot, humid weather that has
sent the heat index—a basic measure of how hot the temperature feels on
your body—spiking into dangerous territory, particularly for young
children, the elderly, those who work outdoors and those with existing
health issues such as asthma or heart disease. Heat is the number one
weather killer in the U.S., causing more deaths than hurricanes,
tornadoes and flooding combined.

And the climate emergency is causing a clear trend toward more frequent,
longer-lasting and more intense heat waves and more heat records. This
past June was the hottest on record globally, according to the National
Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the planet likely had its
hottest week in human history in the first week of July, according to
the World Meteorological Organization.

The WMO, which keeps official global weather records, places the hottest
temperature ever measured on Earth at 134 degrees F; this reading was
taken in Death Valley on July 10, 1913. This measurement was declared a
record in 2012 after a WMO review threw out the previous record of 136
degrees F in Al ʻAzīzīyah, Libya, from 1922 because of issues with the
instrument and its placement. Several experts also doubt the legitimacy
of the 134-degree measurement because it has similar issues as the Libya
temperature reading, however.

The WMO will need to verify any record-high reading from Death Valley,
but if it is verified, it would be one of the hottest temperatures ever
measured on Earth and the hottest ever reliably measured—though there
are decent odds that another heat wave in the not-too-distant future
will best it.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/death-valley-could-set-a-world-record-hot-temperature/

/[ Jason Box is an ice scientist  ] /
*What is the Copernicus Arctic Regional Reanalysis?*
Jason Box
Jun 25, 2023
This is a background video for a forthcoming video on a new study that
applies the Copernicus Arctic Regional Reanalysis (CARRA) to a Greenland
extreme event.
The C3S Arctic regional reanalysis project has been supported by EU
Copernicus contract: 2017/C3S_322_Lot2_METNO/SC2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8gfrJ853UY

/[ Flood maps https://coastal.climatecentral.org/  ]/
*Coastal Risk Screening Tool*
An interactive map showing areas threatened by sea level rise and
coastal flooding. Combining the most advanced global model of coastal
elevations with the latest projections for future flood levels.

*Cutting-Edge Science*
Flood maps are only as good as the elevation data they're founded on. We
used machine learning to develop CoastalDEM®, a high-accuracy digital
elevation model (DEM) for coastal areas, now updated to version 2.1.
Read more.

Climate change science is constantly evolving. Our maps are based on the
latest sea-level projections, including those from the recently released
Sixth Assessment Report (AR6) from the Intergovernmental Panel on
Climate Change (IPCC) and the 2022 Sea Level Rise Technical Report from
an interagency U.S. government task force.

*Global Coverage*
Using CoastalDEM to model land elevation outside the U.S., our maps help
screen for coastal flood risk in parts of the world where top-accuracy
elevation data based on airborne lidar is unavailable.

For mapping coastal flood risk within the U.S., we use high-resolution
airborne lidar data collected by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration (NOAA).
Tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W6pZcerRsA
https://coastal.climatecentral.org/

/////[ Heat in Florida - meteorologist ]/
*Record Hot Ocean Temperatures Threatening Florida Coral (El Nino &
Climate Change July 2023)*
WKMG News 6 ClickOrlando
Jul 12, 2023
Parts of the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico are record hot for this time of
the year. (July 2023). This is being fueled by El Nino and Climate change.

Coral bleaching begins when the ocean becomes hotter than a certain
threshold. Bleaching has already begun around the Florida Keys as water
temperatures have surged into the 90s. Dr. Derek Manzello  says the only
way to cool the waters is for a hurricane or tropical storm to churn up
cooler water. Unprecedented bleaching time is possible, potentially up
to three months. In past events bleaching lasts between 4 and 6 weeks
and starts in mid-August.

    Chapters:
    00:00: Intro
    00:50: Current Ocean Temperatures (July 12, 2023)
    01:33: Coral Reef Stressed By early Record Heat
    02:57: Coral Bleaching Alert Levels 2023 (NOAA Coral Reef Watch)
    04:59: Coral Reef Mortality Thresholds
    05:27: Current Sea Surface Temperature Anomaly (Florida)
    06:46: Current Sea Surface Temperature Anomaly (Atlantic Ocean)
    07:22: El Nino getting Stronger
    09:24: Impact Of Coral Reef

Bleaching is about a month ahead of scheduled compared to other
widespread bleaching episodes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEd_ZFiaPVs

/[ Nonfiction book review ]/
*A Global Warming Book for the Streaming Age*
In “The Parrot and the Igloo,” the novelist and journalist David Lipsky
spins top-flight climate literature into cliffhanger entertainment.

*THE PARROT AND THE IGLOO: Climate and the Science of Denial, by David
Lipsky*

In the preface to “The Parrot and the Igloo,” the journalist David
Lipsky’s new book on global warming, he admits he thought about opening
it with a threatening line: “This story put a hole through my life. Now
it’s your turn.” You can see why. Reading it is like watching a car
crash in slow motion. You know where this is headed.

Lipsky’s book is a project of maximum ambition. He retells the entire
climate story, from the dawn of electricity to the dire straits of our
present day. It’s well-trod ground, but Lipsky, a newcomer to the
climate field (he is best known for “Although of Course You End Up
Becoming Yourself,” a memoir set on a road trip with David Foster
Wallace), makes it page turning and appropriately infuriating. He says
it up front: He wants this to be like a Netflix series, bingeable.

We usually think of global warming as a modern malady, Lipsky writes,
one that began in our lifetimes. Even as a climate reporter, I admit
some part of me thought that too. Yet he reminds us that a Swedish
chemist first realized that burning coal would warm the planet in the
1890s, and it’s chilling to learn that people were reading headlines
about unprecedented heat in American newspapers as early as the 1930s.
Of course, all the modern climate graphs show that the red line had
crept up by then. For them it was unprecedented. Imagine if they could
see a summer now.

The book takes its title from two moments in time. In 1956, The New York
Times published a story imagining the Arctic of the future, thawed and
tropical, complete with “gaudy parrots squawking in the trees.” Earlier
that year, the oceanographer Roger Revelle had looked at the previous
century’s worth of CO2 released from burning fossil fuels and suggested,
according to Time magazine, that it “may have a violent effect” on the
earth’s climate. We could be headed to a runaway “greenhouse” effect.

Fast-forward 54 years. In 2010, the Republican senator James Inhofe’s
grandchildren built an igloo on the Capitol Mall, and stuck a sign on
the roof: “AL GORE’S *NEW* HOME.” (Inhofe is also the guy who brought a
snowball to the Senate floor in 2015.) It didn’t matter that 2010 would
come to tie 2005 as the hottest year on record up to that point. There
was snow enough to build an igloo. Global warming is a hoax.

The distance between the parrot and the igloo is Lipsky’s main subject.
How did we slide so far from that early grasp of reality? The answer, of
course, is good marketing. Around 2002, the Republican pollster Frank
Luntz encouraged candidates to use the term “climate change” to play
down the catastrophic tone of “global warming,” the phrase that the
scientists were using. He wanted it to sound more like a neutral shift,
the climatic equivalent of taking a Pittsburgh-to-Fort-Lauderdale road
trip, and less like a broiling existential threat. Luntz came to regret
it, but the term stuck.

Lipsky acknowledges that “The Parrot and the Igloo” draws heavily from a
handful of landmark climate books, including Naomi Oreskes and Erik
Conway’s “Merchants of Doubt” and Elizabeth Kolbert’s “Field Notes From
a Catastrophe.” Readers of those texts will find some of the material
here quite familiar, but Lipsky repackages it well; “The Parrot” is a
thriller of deceptions, side deals and close calls.

Otherwise dry proceedings of back-room history are given a juicy
injection of drama and humor. We get tales of vanity, fame and money —
and at least one God complex. In 1982, the Rev. Sun Myung Moon, the
leader of the Unification Church and a self-described messiah, founded
The Washington Times, a newspaper that soon became a vehicle for
right-wing talking points and climate denialism. (“Climate Claims Wither
Under the Luminous Lights of Science,” one headline blared.) The
Washington Times was Ronald Reagan’s favorite morning read. “Without
knowing it,” Moon reportedly said, “even President Reagan is being
guided by Father.”

Every new face (and there are many!) is important. The climate
denialists come back again and again, at each fresh wave of global
warming awareness, like “fire-jumpers,” Lipsky writes, landing in
interview seats on news shows to snuff out concern before it can gain
much momentum.

Eventually, Lipsky’s narrative, leaning on Oreskes and Conway and
others, detours to Big Tobacco and its quest to suppress evidence that
cigarettes cause cancer. The reader is left to wonder why, until the
same characters paid by Philip Morris to scuttle bans on cigarettes
become the ones shilling for Big Oil. By the time we hear about a scheme
in the 1980s to deny the connection between aspirin and a scourge of
sudden child deaths from Reye’s syndrome, we know where this is going.
Denial is a cottage industry of the few but talented.

The yearning question for climate journalists now: What are the magic
words? We have the facts and the wildfires to prove them. But climate
communication — how to make those facts penetrate hearts and minds —
seems always a losing battle. The denialists have always had sexier
language, and they pay handsomely for it. Lipsky, with his cinematic
account, has a good chance to grab back some of that ground.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/10/books/review/the-parrot-and-the-igloo-david-lipsky.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/10/books/review/the-parrot-and-the-igloo-david-lipsky.html?unlocked_article_code=zuhm2tK__xEgFetZ9uMglJOqSXE0m_RvklY06SB7hdYwSaMdT7BOEOgfdlt-9qOAXLllhfyU4DiPqH7-ONFNsw4vwKMhfMWQDgQVtJkAXphCKbBaPrCYWqeiC42hMEycPzAPVKzDMY8xGaMxZftvyIKwBOhA8uvgO2-yzfk9LC0UZqGWH0IbX7ULPT71orcBN_EkBTFOO0BSgsg3anKLIkec9wEFeWuMUKV3OSFwh-ZIV0ah_p69U7VhZz3MwKfE94ZfQ-4EcPkzOsLWWntSeQ-HNoNILXuAuPWoknY5PCj2Fgcv_54OovxSlSOYGHxcdAbBCKzGcSVAUGiPYKaWW0VcOz7h2MV_Td8qZJ2n6Z9tO2YY&smid=url-share

/[ many, many in this link, each brief ]/
*Here are all the positive environmental stories from 2023 so far*
https://www.euronews.com/green/2023/07/11/here-are-all-the-positive-environmental-stories-from-2023-so-far

/[  time for radical action -- from the founder of Extinction Rebellion ]/
*Roger Hallam on Crisis, Disruption and Democracy | Extinction Rebellion
Netherlands | 8 July 2023*
Extinction Rebellion (XR) UK
Jul 11, 2023  AMSTERDAM
In this talk to Extinction Rebellion Netherlands audience Extinction
Rebellion co-founder Roger Hallam explains why it is a moral imperative
to go into non-violent civil resistance and save our democracies from
collapse. Roger Hallam calls on everybody to join Extinction Rebellion
Netherlands from 9 September 2023 on the A12 in The Hague where XR will
demand an immediate end to fossil fuel subsidies in the Netherlands,
currently about thirty billion euro’s yearly.

The blockade of the A12, a vital part of road between the Dutch
Parliament and the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate, will be
blocked until the demand is met. Forever if must be. In the previous
peaceful blockades up to 1500 arrests were made. More than 10.000 people
are expected to join in September. Join the (Dutch and English) telegram
channel to learn more and stay updated: https://t.me/A12StopSub

"We have to act quickly. What we do I believe in the next 3-4 years will
determine the future of humanity" Sir David King, Former Chief
Scientific Advisor to the UK Government (2022)

The UK community of concerned climate conscious citizens who 'Rebel for
Life'!.

Connected around the globe to other activists and supporters by our
similarities and our compassion for all life on earth.

Using non-violent direct action (NVDA) to highlight the need to upgrade
democracy and create a future decided by us, not to us.

Share, comment, subscribe, like, mobilise, donate!

https://chuffed.org/xr/uk

Extinction Rebellion UK: https://extinctionrebellion.uk/

    THE 3 DEMANDS
    1. Tell The Truth
    2. Act Now
    3. Decide Together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUI7fgM_Ft8

/[The news archive - looking back - he's still alive -- in hospice ]/
/*July 15, 1976*/
July 15, 1976: At the Democratic National Convention, presidential
nominee Jimmy Carter states, "We can have an America that has reconciled
its economic needs with its desire for an environment that we can pass
on with pride to the next generation."
(34:46--34:58)
http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/Car

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli