[✔️] July 14, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Texas heat, Trenberth, Hansen's loaded dice., EU Nature Restoration, Synchro failures, Tribalism and denial, Disinfo battles, 2008 Bushed

R Pauli Richard at CredoandScreed.com
Fri Jul 14 06:55:37 EDT 2023

/*July*//*14, 2023*/

/[  clips from NYTimes on Texas heat  -- how poverty kills ] /
*In a Texas City, Heat Proved Deadly Even for Those Long Used to It*
Extreme heat killed 10 people in Laredo, a sign that the eventual death
toll from this year’s widespread heat waves could be substantial.
By J. David Goodman -- Reporting from Laredo, Texas
July 13, 2023
Alfredo Garza Jr. died in his bedroom with two broken air-conditioners,
on a downtown street in Laredo, Texas, across from a coffee shop and a
bakery. When his body was found, the temperature inside the room was 106
degrees.

Nearby on the same June day, in a small home behind his sister’s house,
67-year-old Jorge Sanchez suffered the heat with nothing more than a fan
to cool him, and then succumbed to temperatures that reached 113
degrees. A wave of extreme heat also overcame another man, still
unidentified by the authorities, who parked his truck on a busy
residential street with its hazard lights flashing, and died.

Hot weather is nothing new in a place like Laredo, where summer
temperatures regularly climb well past 100 degrees. But the seemingly
unending wave of punishing heat and stifling humidity that began in the
middle of June — parked for weeks over much of the nation’s south and
west — is presenting unfamiliar and deadly new hazard
- -
Across the country, extreme heat, which can strain the heart, lungs and
kidneys, is a leading weather-related cause of death. In Texas last
year, at least 306 people died of heat-related causes, according to the
state health department — the highest annual total in more than two
decades. Among them were 158 nonresidents, a figure that includes
migrants crossing the state’s harsh terrain. During the heat wave in
Webb County, at least two migrants were found dead on local ranches,
according to the sheriff, Martin Cuellar.

The superheated dome of high atmospheric pressure that has been pressing
down on much of the country will probably stay in place for a few more
days at least, forecasters said, pushing temperatures to dangerous
heights from parts of California all the way to Florida. And the
temperature readings tell only part of the story, public health
officials cautioned, because humid air worsens the heat, making it much
more difficult for the body to cool down. And in cities like Laredo, the
air can grow even hotter as the sun bakes the pavement, with little
respite at night.
- -
“Bottom line: The heat is getting bad. Everyone needs to do whatever
they can — because we want to prevent people from dying.”

The county provides free air-conditioners to residents who can’t afford
them, handing out more than 400 last year and nearly 300 so far this
year, Dr. Huang said.

Instead, the county has opened more than a dozen cooling centers,
organized “fan drives” to give away fans, and leaned on a system of
“promotoras,” well-connected local people who help officials spread
important health information through their networks and at community
centers.

“It’s like that one aunt that knows everybody, that gets along with
everybody,” said Tano Tijerina, the county judge for Webb County,
describing the approach.

Mr. Tijerina said the county had not contemplated starting a program to
provide free air-conditioners to residents. “If you’re going to start
giving out air-conditioners, where do you stop?” he said. “We are an
aid, we will help, we’ll assist.” But he added, “we’re talking about
people’s tax dollars here.”

Nearly the entire population of the city and the county is Hispanic,
according to U.S. Census estimates, and many residents have lived their
entire lives enduring the region’s famously hot weather. A longtime
local meteorologist goes by the nickname “Heatwave.”

“We’re used to the heat,” Armando Acosta, 24, a metal worker in Laredo,
said as he finished erecting the frame of a shade structure outside a
house this week, working in the sweltering sun. “But it’s the air that’s
suffocating,” he said.

His colleague Cristian Patiño, 32, said each of them would drink about
15 bottles of water during the work day, and take breaks roughly each hour.

Workers make up a large share of hospital admissions for heat-related
illnesses, but in Laredo, the people who died from the latest heat wave
were mostly older people who were at home alone, and either did not have
air conditioning or chose not to turn it on, said Dr. Stern, the medical
examiner.

“They thought, ‘I’m used to this heat,’” she said. “That’s what we heard
from their family, ‘Oh, I’m used to this heat, I’ve got this.’”

One victim, a 68-year-old woman, died despite having a working
air-conditioner at home. “Her daughters had seen her the night before,
to bring her some food, and told her, ‘Mom, turn the air-conditioner on,
it’s hot in here,’ and she wouldn’t,” Dr. Stern said. “Didn’t want to
turn it on, to save money.”

Money was also a major concern in the home of Mr. Garza, 61, who died in
a room with two broken air-conditioners...

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/13/us/texas-heat-deaths-webb-county.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/13/us/texas-heat-deaths-webb-county.html?unlocked_article_code=f0nWWWRMGFVo_y8_K9dOey1w_85uzOBDPeuqIutLEGjEnD24iByXY-eGKx28iz-1oTfkKfJsDiJgL_xpFT54i_a-FukaGJfuTxHITZkoaAS6FSl3v2X8c7CBm7W1pi2UF2hinpJ5UHvB30IMF_o2Fui8q0Vf8XeSlQNwxZg3lTJAnOWS1-keeIJbtIcB_xognNKt0iO24lE57oa-sVHE3f6oF53tv_uxv68Bt-Qd_zmTeoYAVEfBFk8hI3m2ytQCq8yc9MyA7GPOUOneXuBcPp5hDadjja45UFrZ_GLnRQ6CJ5stcmQI_aEEg73DqtnHd7kas-NG0Xanu6EGyzDngicn&smid=url-share

/[ video briefing from a most respected climate scientist - starts about
2 min in ]/
*Kevin Trenberth on El Nino, and Earth's Hottest Day*
Jul 6, 2023
When Kevin Trenberth speaks, scientists around the world listen
greenmanbucket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVnP3KH6VOM

/[ James Hansen's team speaks wisely ]/
*The Climate Dice are Loaded. Now, a New Frontier?*
James Hansen, Makiko Sato and Reto Ruedy
Andy Revkin recently asked whether the “climate dice” have become more
“loaded” in the last 15 years. Climate dice were defined[1] in 1988,
after we realized that the next cool summer may cause the public to
discount human-caused climate change. The answer is “yes,” the dice are
more loaded as we will explain via the shifting bell curve (Fig. 1). The
shift is large enough that most people notice the change, but that
doesn’t prevent a person with a bias from taking the cool June in the
U.S. this year (Fig. 2) as proof that global warming predictions were
wrong – and, of course, a loose cannon on Twitter has done just that.
That’s nonsense, of course. On global average, June 2023 was easily the
warmest June in the historical record, as we will illustrate below.

What to do about loose cannons? Censor them? Bad idea. Censorship leads
to enforced conformity, which has more serious consequences than loose
cannons. Conformity leads to dogma[2] which is anti-science. Science
aims to compile real-world data and interpret it without prejudice,
including its implications for policy. In a democracy, we must keep the
public informed, which requires correcting disinformation. The aim is
not to persuade a loose cannon – who likely has prior bias and is
unpersuadable – but rather to educate those people who are open-minded...
https://mailchi.mp/caa/the-climate-dice-are-loaded-now-a-new-frontier?e=cd4f052551

- -

/[ a single page essay by Hansen team explains the graphics of change  ]/
*Perception of climate change*
James Hansena, Makiko Satoa, and Reto Ruedyb
a National Aeronautics and Space Administration Goddard Institute for
Space Studies
https://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/Documents/Hansen.2012.PerceptionClimChan.PNAS.pdf

[ DW News  ]
*EU lawmakers narrowly pass 'nature restoration bill' | DW News*
DW News

Jul 12, 2023  #EuropeanUnion #Biodiversity #nature
The European Parliament has accepted a key biodiversity bill that will
see the restoration of CO2-storing peatlands but has been criticized by
farmers and other opposition groups due to fears they might lose land.
Testing the EU's global climate credentials, the lawmakers supported the
European Commission plan in a razor-thin 324-312 vote with 12 abstentions.

After weeks of intense negotiations and despite the steadfast opposition
of the legislature's biggest group, the European People's Party, the
plan survived in the vote at the European Parliament in Strasbourg.
Immediately after its approval, lawmakers started voting on more than
100 amendments in a bid to adjust the plan. These amendments will be
negotiated with the member states of the EU, signifying a months-long
process before the final law can be approved.  The debate surrounding
the law had become an important campaign issue prior to the European
elections in June 2024. The makeup of the next European Parliament will
influence the priorities of the next European Commission, which is
currently led by Ursula von der Leyen.  The full chamber had to vote on
the bill after a parliamentary commission failed to agree on a position.

The Nature Restoration Act was at the center of the EU's biodiversity
strategy, forming part of the bloc's Green Deal approach to boost
environmental protection and mitigate the effects of climate change.
Degraded ecosystems could be restored by boosting forested areas and
marine habitats as well as increasing connectivity between rivers. The
bill will allow for 30% of all former peatlands currently exploited for
agriculture to be restored and partially shifted to other use by the end
of the decade, a figure rising to 70% by 2050. Farmers' associations and
EU conservative politicians had previously complained that farmers would
be too restricted by protective measures, and even claimed the bill
could endanger food security in the EU. EU legislators from center-left,
green and left-wing groups in the parliament supported the legislation,
with many joining Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg in a protest
in favor on Tuesday. On the other side, farmers with tractors responded
to a call by the European farmers' association Copa-Cogeca and
demonstrated against the nature conservation law in front of the parliament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqWYFVjHnUQ

///[  Vice delivers the conjectured terror-of-the-Month - text and audio ]/
*Scientists Raise Alarm Over Risk of 'Synchronized' Global Crop Failures*
New research exposes an underestimated risk of simultaneous global food
supply shocks due to climate change.
Becky Ferreira
By Becky Ferreira
July 6, 2023

Scientists are raising alarms about the risk of simultaneous crop
failures occurring in multiple regions across the globe as a result of
human-driven climate change, a catastrophe that poses an underestimated
threat to the global food supply, reports a new study.

Using sophisticated climate models, researchers zeroed in on the effects
of the jet stream, a system of rapidly flowing winds in the atmosphere,
on heat extremes around the world. The results revealed that
“meandering” jet stream patterns can produce weather anomalies in some
of the most important crop-producing lands on Earth, an ominous signal
that “synchronized” harvest collapses could occur in the future.

Climate change, which is driven by human consumption of fossil fuels, is
placing enormous new pressures on humans and other lifeforms on the
planet. In particular, rising temperatures are fueling more intense
extreme weather events, such as heatwaves, droughts, floods, wildfires,
and storms, all of which have adverse effects on food production
worldwide. Given that disruptions to the global food supply can be
deadly, especially for import-reliant nations, scientists have been
galvanized to better understand the complex risks that climate change
poses to global crop yields.

To that end, scientists led by climate scientist Kai Kornhuber from
Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory set out to study
meandering jet streams, which are especially wavy wind patterns in the
sky that have remained a wild card in climate and crop models.

By analyzing climate data collected from 1960 and 2014, the team
discovered “an increased likelihood of concurrent low yields during
summers featuring meandering jets in observations and models” which
expose “high-risk blind spots” in climate models, according to a study
published on Tuesday in Nature Communications.

“Concurrent crop failures in major crop-producing regions constitute a
systemic risk as associated spikes in food prices can lead to conflict
and undernutrition in countries that rely on imports,” said Kornhuber
and his colleagues in the study. “Thus, understanding the likelihood of
concurrent crop failures and the degree to which models are able to
reproduce observed relationships is important for increasing the
resilience of the global food system and mitigating climate risks.”

“While climate models have been excellent in projecting the mean
response to continued anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions our
analysis suggests that they might provide a conservative estimate of how
concurrent extreme weather events driven by specific circulation regimes
might evolve in future and how they might affect regional crop yield and
covariability across regions,” the team added.

Climate models and projections have become extremely sophisticated in
recent years, but it’s still challenging to account for all of the
effects caused by the collision of natural climate cycles with human
activities, such as the burning of fossil fuels.

For instance, Kornhuber and his colleagues note that the intricate
relationship between jet stream patterns, extreme weather events, and
crop yield anomalies has only been quantified on a regional basis,
rather than a global level. Up until now, there has also been a lack of
clarity about how shifts in these atmospheric wind patterns could affect
crop yields in the future.

The team’s 54-year dataset showed that meandering jet streams have the
potential to trigger far more devastating heat extremes than previously
realized. The researchers also generated projections for the latter half
of the 21st century that show an elevated risk of simultaneous crop
failures that could cripple the global food supply chain by triggering
crop failures in key breadbasket regions such as India, the United
States, and Eastern Europe.

In other words, the new study offers a frightening glimpse of a world
roiled by food shortages brought on by meandering winds. As with all
other warnings about climate change, the only chance at avoiding this
fate is to drastically reduce humanity’s consumption of fossil fuels
within the coming years.

“Our study points towards potential high-impact blind spots in current
climate risk assessments, highlighting the urgent need for more
empirical and process-based research to support model improvements in
the climate and agriculture domains, supplemented by expert elicitation,
qualitative storylines, and decision-centric approaches,” the
researchers said.

“Evidence for high-risk blind spots such as an underestimation of
synchronized harvest failures as identified here, manifests the urgency
of rapid emission reductions, lest climate extremes and their complex
interactions might increasingly become unmanageable,” they concluded.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/z3m3k3/scientists-raise-alarm-over-risk-of-synchronized-global-crop-failures

/[ This is an excellent essay -- worthy of attention   ]/
*The big idea: why climate tribalism only helps the deniers*
 From nuclear power to electric vehicles, battles between activists risk
getting in the way of reducing emissions

Hannah Ritchie
Mon 10 Jul 2023

One of the most effective ways to be a climate sceptic is to say nothing
at all. Why expend the effort slapping down climate solutions when you
can rely on feuding climate activists to tear each other’s ideas apart?
We tend to fight with those we are closest to. This is true of family.
But it’s also true of our peers, which for me, are those obsessed with
trying to fix climate change. Step into the murky waters of Twitter and
you’ll often find activists spending more time going after one another
than battling climate falsehoods.

These might seem like small squabbles, but they have a real impact. They
slow our progress and play into the hands of the deniers, the oil
companies, the anti-climate lobbyists. These groups push on while our
heads are turned.

What we want to achieve is the same: to reduce carbon emissions. The
problem is that we are stubborn about how we get there. We often have
strong opinions about what the evils are, and how to fix them. The
nuclear zealots want to go all-in on building new power stations. The
renewable zealots want no nuclear at all. Some promote electric cars;
their opponents want car-less roads. Vegans advocate for cutting out
animal products; flexitarians feel judged when they eat their weekly
roast chicken.

These cracks can start at an even higher level. For some it is not about
the specific technology we deploy, it’s about the fact that we see
technology as a solution at all. There are those who believe that
technology will fix everything. Their detractors think this
techno-optimism is naive; only radical economic and social change can
save us.

Such inner-circle battles aren’t specific to climate. They are
everywhere. The American economist Michael Munger wrote about this very
same tension in economic policy, describing how the world is split into
“directionalists” and “destinationists”. Directionalists back any
solution that takes us towards the final goal. In climate, this means
they support anything that puts a notable dent in emissions.
Destinationists are less flexible: they have an ideal outcome in mind.
They block and reject anything that doesn’t fit their perfect vision. If
they want to see a car-less world, they push against electric vehicles
(EVs), even if they would cut emissions by a lot.

Destinationalism is a problem. Sure, we all have our favourite
solutions. But the reality is that we can’t afford to be choosy. The
answer to almost every climate dilemma is “We need both”. We need
renewables and nuclear energy (even if that means just keeping our
existing nuclear plants online). We need to tackle fossil fuels and our
food system; fossil fuels are the biggest emitter, but emissions from
food alone would take us well past a temperature rise of 1.5C and close
to 2C. Not everyone can commute without a car, so we need electric
vehicles and cycle-friendly cities and public transport networks. We
can’t decarbonise without technological change, but we need to rethink
our economic, political and social systems to make sure they flourish.

*Fossil fuel companies don’t need to dunk on nuclear power because many
environmentalists have done it for them*
These battles are not just neutral noises off; they actively help the
other side. Fossil fuel companies don’t need to dunk on nuclear power
because many environmentalists have done it for them. Take Germany,
where nuclear plants were closed early, delaying the phasing-out of coal
power. This was not only bad for the climate but for air pollution too.
Many people on the pro-nuclear side didn’t help: their bashing of
renewable energy technologies made anti-nuclear environmentalists even
more defensive. Or there’s the claim that EVs can be just as bad for the
environment, often trotted out even in green-leaning media. In response,
people are persuaded to stick with their petrol or diesel car.
Similarly, meat-eaters who are considering cutting back see claims about
how “unhealthy” and “processed” some plant-based burgers are, and opt
for beef instead.

The solution isn’t to stop debating. I’m not claiming we should
uncritically support every proposal on the table. That would waste
money, time and resources. Our efforts would become scattered and
diluted. We’d focus on the wrong things. We need to be intensely
critical to make sure we invest in climate solutions that are effective
and can scale. And no solution is a panacea – EVs, lab-grown meat,
renewable energy, nuclear power – all have some impact. We need to be
transparent about those impacts to reduce them as much as we can.

So how can we make these debates work better? First, we need to become
less fixated on the ideal pathway. None of us will get precisely what we
want; we need to compromise and take a route that reduces emissions
effectively and quickly, using a combination of solutions.

Second, we need to be more generous when dealing with our rivals.
Intellectual disagreements can quickly descend into name-calling. Real
conversation stops and we talk past one another instead. We become more
focused on winning the argument than understanding the other side. This
makes the climate solution space hostile, which is counterproductive
considering we want the world’s best minds to be there.

Third, we need to be honest about what is and isn’t true about the
solutions we don’t like. “EVs emit just as much CO2 as petrol cars” is
simply wrong. They emit significantly less, even if they emit more than
the subway or a bike (and yes, this is still true when we account for
the emissions needed to produce the battery). “Nuclear energy is unsafe”
is wrong – it’s thousands of times safer than the coal we’re trying to
replace, and just as safe as renewables. It’s fine to advocate for your
preferred solutions, but it’s not OK to lie about the alternatives to
make your point.

In short, we need to become better directionalists. To focus on moving
towards our goals, rather than pinning all our hopes on an ideal means
of getting there. Whether you’re a fan of nuclear or solar, electric
cars or trains, lab-grown meat or lentils: we are all on the same team.
Let’s start acting like it.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/jul/10/the-big-idea-why-climate-tribalism-only-helps-the-deniers

/[ the clean energy disinformation battles and co-ordinated physical
disturbance battles ]/
*Key operatives for the fossil fuel industry are organizing a campaign
of threats and intimidation against Farmers who wish to site clean
energy, solar and wind, on their land.*
Jul 13, 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qha681qGJJw

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*July 14, 2008*/
July 14, 2008: On MSNBC's "Countdown," fill-in host Rachel Maddow
describes another controversy that has left the US feeling "Bushed":

"Number one, serial driller-gate.  President Bush today lifted an
executive order banning off-shore drilling.  It‘s an order that dates
back to the other President Bush.  The move accomplishes nothing,
because Congress still has its own ban in effect.  But that‘s not the
only way we know this is pure politics.  According to Mr. Bush‘s own
Energy Information Administration, off-shore production could not even
start until five years after the off-shore sites were leased.  So that‘s
2013.  Off-shore sites could not significantly impact U.S. production
until 18 years after leasing.  So that's 2026.

"And the impact on prices from off-shore drilling when the oil finally
starts flowing in 2026?  Because oil prices are set on a global market,
the EIA says the offshore impact on prices would be, quote,
insignificant.  But the political impact, priceless."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHvqjj3yeDA

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli