[✔️] July 20, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Parking with Rolly, Water energy, Hansen research paper, Gaza and Israel, Blocking Biden, Inescapable Predicament, 2006 NPR Republican Congressional hearing

Thu Jul 20 09:00:46 EDT 2023

/*July*//*20, 2023*/

/[We knew NOTHING about parking ---  Rolly is most jolly and a brilliant
critic ]/*
**Parking Laws Are Strangling America | Climate Town*
Climate Town
Jul 17, 2023
Parking ain’t free, brother. Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/ClimateTown
sUbScRiBe FoR mOrE ViDeOs: https://www.youtube.com/c/climatetown...
If you like the sound of Brilliant, head to
https://brilliant.org/getbrilliant - that link gets you a 30 day free
trial AND the first 200 people get 20% off Brilliant Premium for LIFE.

You heard it right: WE STARTED A PODCAST! It’s called The Climate
Denier’s Playbook and you can listen to it right here:
https://linktr.ee/deniersplaybook

And ohhhh yeah we have a newsletter! You can sign up right here:
https://www.climatetownproductions.co...

Also what the hell we’re doing another live show in Brooklyn on August
23rd at the Bell House?? https://www.eventbrite.com/e/climate-...

And wait there’s actually something we can do about this maybe? Our
friends at Climate Changemakers have put together a playbook on how to
take action: https://www.climatechangemakers.org/p...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUNXFHpUhu8

/*
*/

/[ another great idea for energy  -- 2 min video ]/
*Roman Sedortsov PhD: Pumped Storage Energy for Abandoned Mine Shafts*
greenmanbucket
Jul 19, 2023
Roman Sedortsove PhD is an engineering professor at Michigan Tech
University.
He has been studying the application of well understood pumped storage
technology to store renewable energy in the thousands of abandoned mine
shafts across North America and around the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_hKJZ7GCE4*

/[  James Hansen et al research paper - (not peer reviewed)  -  an
important read ] /
*Global warming in the pipeline*
James E. Hansen, Makiko Sato, et al
  *Correspondence: James E. Hansen <jeh1 at columbia.edu>

    ABSTRACT
    Improved knowledge of glacial-to-interglacial global temperature
    change implies that
    fastfeedback equilibrium climate sensitivity (ECS) is 1.2 ± 0.3°C
    (2σ) per W/m2
    which is 4.8°C ± 1.2°C for doubled CO2. Consistent analysis of
    temperature over the full
    Cenozoic era – including“slow” feedbacks by ice sheets and trace
    gases – supports this ECS and
    implies that CO2 was300-350 ppm in the Pliocene and about 450 ppm at
    transition to a nearly
    ice-free planet, thusexposing unrealistic lethargy of ice sheet
    models. Equilibrium global warming
    including slow feedbacks for today’s human-made greenhouse gas (GHG)
    climate forcing (4.1 W/m2
      is 10°C,reduced to 8°C by today’s aerosols. Decline of aerosol
    emissions since 2010 should increase the
    1970-2010 global warming rate of 0.18°C per decade to a post-2010
    rate of at least 0.27°C per
    decade. Under the current geopolitical approach to GHG emissions,
    global warming will likely
      pierce the 1.5°C ceiling in the 2020s and 2°C before 2050. Impacts
    on people and nature will
      accelerate as global warming pumps up hydrologic extremes. The
    enormity of consequences
      demands a return to Holocene-level global temperature. Required
    actions include: 1) a global
      increasing price on GHG emissions, 2) East-West cooperation in a
    way that accommodates
      developing world needs, and 3) intervention with Earth’s radiation
    imbalance to phase down
      today’s massive human-made “geo-transformation” of Earth’s
    climate. These changes will not
      happen with the current geopolitical approach, but current
    political crises present an opportunity
      for reset, especially if young people can grasp their situation.

http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/Documents/PipelinePaper.2023.07.05.pdf

/[ Reuters --  Gaza and Israel suffering -- and a few heatwaves and
power outages away from becoming an archeology site ]/
*Gaza power shortages worsened by heatwave as some residents call for
protests*
By Nidal Al-Mughrabi
July 18, 2023
GAZA, July 18 (Reuters) - A heatwave in the Gaza Strip that has sent
temperatures over 38 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit) worsened power
shortages and sparked discontent among residents who expressed
frustration with the ruling Islamist Hamas group.

Hamas, which has run the territory since 2007 blames a 16-year-long
Israeli blockade for devastating Gaza's economy and undermining
development, including the power network.

More than 2.3 million people live in a narrow strip of land squeezed
between Egypt and Israel, suffering power cuts for up to 12 hours a day.
The area needs around 500 megawatts of power per day in summer,
according to local officials. It receives 120 megawatts from Israel
while the enclave's lone power plant supplies another 60 megawatts.
The crisis has provoked an unusual wave of social media protests.
Abdel-Hamid Abdel-Ati, a local journalist said, "our dreams have shrunk
from (achieving) the right of return and liberating the homeland to one
extra hour of electricity," he told Reuters.

Gaza residents are calling for the local generator to produce more power
by operating the plant at full capacity.

Many residents shared videos of darkness at night and of their children
sleeping on the floor to cool themselves. While asserting Israel was
primarily responsible for the Gaza problem, they demanded action from Hamas.
Some called for street protests.

Jalal Ismail, the Hamas-appointed chairman of the Gaza Energy Authority,
said the current problem was driven by the soaring heatwave.

Resolving the problem was a political issue, he said, referring to
current divisions with President Mahmoud Abbas's Fatah faction, which
runs the Palestinian Authority and the Israeli-led economic boycott on Gaza.

The Palestinian Authority, which pays for the electricity feed from
Israel, blames the crisis on Hamas, whom it said was responsible for
collecting electricity revenues.
"We haven't witnessed such heat in years, and we get electricity for
around six hours a day, so I can't fan my children, so I am using the
plastic tray to fan them because of the severe heat," said Yasmin Fojo,
a mother of five from Nahrelbared camp in southern Gaza Strip.

Around 20 children squeezed into a small plastic swimming pool in the
middle of a dusty unpaved road. Thousands packed the beaches, escaping
the heat and power cuts at home.

Some homes and businesses use generators or solar panels, to overcome
the lengthy power cuts. Those that cannot afford expensive generators
use humble battery-powered led lights.

"I don't have money to buy a fan and if I did they would cut off the
power and I end up in the heat, therefore, I am using those plastic
trays," said a 90-year-old woman, Um Khattab Dula.

Reporting by Nidal Almughrabi Editing by Alexandra Hudson
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/gaza-power-shortages-worsened-by-heatwave-some-residents-call-protests-2023-07-18

[ strange political chaos   ]
*Republicans’ Deadly Plan to Block Biden From Declaring a Climate Emergency*
Thousands of people are going to the E.R. amid record-breaking heat
waves. But Republicans don’t think this is a real emergency.
Prem Thakker

July 19, 2023
Wednesday marks the twentieth day in a row that Phoenix eclipses 110
degrees Fahrenheit—and the next seven days are projected to maintain the
record-breaking horror. Thousands of Texans have been going to the
emergency room because of heat illnesses. And a rotating cast of some
100 million Americans have been under heat wave and smog alerts for over
a month.

Amid all that, Republicans are trying to stop the president from being
able to declare a national emergency over climate change.
Last month, a group of Republicans introduced a bill, insultingly known
as the “Real Emergencies Act,” to prevent President Joe Biden from
mobilizing the nation to take necessary action to stave off
life-threatening climate change.

https://newrepublic.com/post/174445/republicans-deadly-plan-block-biden-declaring-climate-emergency

[ "the poison is being offered as the cure " ]
*Our Inescapable Predicament - Facing Reality*
Facing Future
Jul 13, 2023  #ClimateChange #MichaelDowd
Industrial civilization has overshot the capacity of our planet to
sustain it, putting us in an inescapable predicament. #RupertRead,
#MichaelDowd and Dale Walkonen seek to answer the questions of how we
can face reality and still live full, useful lives, taking compassionate
and effective action, without doing more damage to our planet...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=433oiO0Cw3I

/[The news archive audio and transcript of NPR audio --  showing
criminal stupidity of Congress.  ironically in my version sponsored by a
gas powered car -- this is from 18 years ago -  demonstration of our
political stupidity  ]/

/*July 20, 2006 */

July 20, 2006: NPR reports on the GOP's show trials, er, hearings
regarding climate research in the House Committee on Energy and Commerce.

    *Global Warming a Hot Topic in Congressional Hearing*
    July 20, 20066:00 AM ET
    Heard on Morning Edition
    By Richard Harris

    A congressional committee took up the topic of global climate change
    Wednesday, focusing on an eight-year-old study suggesting that the
    world is warmer now than it has been in a thousand years.
    Congressman Joe Barton (R-TX) used the hearing to question the study
    and the debate over global warming.
    RENEE MONTAGNE, host:

    A Congressional committee yesterday returned to the subject of
    global warming. At issue were two of the thousands of studies
    showing evidence of climate change. Republicans on the House Energy
    and Commerce Committee tried to turn shortcomings in those two
    papers into a much broader attack on climate science.

    NPR's Richard Harris reports.

    RICHARD HARRIS reporting:

    The focus of this argument is a graph that's shaped like a hockey
    stick and which suggests that the planet has warmed abruptly in
    recent decades. Last year, Texas Republican Joe Barton attacked that
    conclusion and went after the scientists who published the paper by
    demanding they turn over their data and their computer programs.

    Representative JOE BARTON (Republican, Texas): A number of people
    basically use that report to come to the conclusion that global
    warming was a fact and that the 1990s was the hottest decade on
    record. And that one year, 1998, was the hottest year in the
    millennium. Now, a millennium is a thousand years. That's a pretty
    bold statement.

    HARRIS: Too bold a statement to make on the basis of that study.
    Last month, the National Academy of Sciences said the study's claims
    were overreaching but largely beside the point in the big picture of
    global warming. But Chairman Barton had handpicked his own reviewers
    as well, and yesterday he called a hearing to discuss their results.
    Democrats wondered why the Energy and Commerce Committee up till now
    has all but ignored global warming.

    Jay Inslee is a Democrat from Washington State.

    Representative JAY INSLEE (Democrat, Washington): Instead of really
    engaging Congressional talent and figuring out how to deal with this
    problem, we try to poke little pinholes in one particular
    statistical conclusion of one particular study where the
    overwhelming evidence is that we have to act to deal with this
    global challenge.

    HARRIS: Inslee pointed out that National Academies of Sciences from
    around the world, including that of the United States, have come to
    the conclusion from many lines of evidence that global warming is
    real and that humans are largely responsible. When the time came, he
    turned to the Republicans' key witness, statistician Ed Wegman.

    Rep. INSLEE: Now, I guess the question to you is do you have any
    reason to believe all of those academies should change their
    conclusion because of your criticism of one report?

    Professor EDWARD J. WEGMAN (Professor Information Technology and
    Applied Statistics, George Mason University): Of course not.

    HARRIS: And the limits of Wegman's expertise became painfully clear
    when he tried to answer a question from Illinois Democrat Jan
    Schakowsky about the well known mechanism by which carbon dioxide
    traps infrared radiation - heat - in our atmosphere.

    Prof. WEGMAN: Carbon dioxide is heavier than air. Where it sits in
    the atmospheric profile, I don't know. I'm not an atmospheric
    scientist to know that. But presumably, if the atmospheric - if the
    carbon dioxide is close to the surface of the earth, it's not
    reflecting a lot of infrared back.

    Representative JAN SCHAKOWSKY (Democrat, Illinois): But you're not
    clearly qualified to...

    Prof. WEGMAN: No, of course not.

    Rep. SCHAKOWSKY: ...comment on that.

    HARRIS: Republicans on that committee were unmoved by the
    discussion. Michael Burgess is a Republican from Texas.

    Representative MICHAEL BURGESS (Republican, Texas): It's false to
    presume that a consensus today - exists today where the human
    activity has been proven to cause global warming, and that's the
    crux of this hearing. I would point out that simply turning off the
    electrical generation plants that provide the air conditioning back
    in my district would not be a viable option.

    HARRIS: Chairman Barton finally allowed that climate change is a
    serious matter and that eminent scientists are deeply concerned
    about it.

    Rep. BARTON: My problem is that everybody seems to think that it's
    automatically a given and that we shouldn't even debate the
    possibility of it and we probably shouldn't debate the causes of it.
    And I think that's wrong.

    HARRIS: But if anyone showed up at this hearing room to hear a true
    scientific debate on global warming they ended up instead with just
    a political debate often far afield from the facts.

    Richard Harris, NPR News.

    (Soundbite of music)

    MONTAGNE: This is NPR News.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5569901

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli