[✔️] July 21, 2023- Global Warming News Digest |

Fri Jul 21 05:28:05 EDT 2023

/*July*//*21, 2023*/

/[ Yale measures ethics to address global warming predicament ]/
Jul 20, 2023
*Messages about harms of fossil fuels increase support for renewables,
with or without a moral emphasis*
By Abel Gustafson, Matthew Goldberg, Sanguk Lee, Miriam Remshard, Andrew
Luttrell, Seth Rosenthal and Anthony Leiserowitz
We are pleased to share the findings of a new study, conducted in
collaboration with the Center for Public Engagement with Science at the
University of Cincinnati. This study examines the persuasive effects of
moral appeals on public support for the transition from fossil fuels to
clean, renewable energy.

The global transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy sources
(such as solar and wind) will be greatly affected by social factors such
as public opinion, consumer demand, and political support. Political
polarization over renewable energy has increased in the U.S. over the
past five years. This divisive political climate underscores the
importance of finding ways to communicate about renewable energy across
different segments of the public.

One approach is appealing to people’s moral foundations. Some research
has argued that morality is a primary source of people’s opinions on a
wide variety of issues. Prior studies have found that moral appeals can
be persuasive for diverse people – particularly when they highlight
moral principles held by the audience. For example, a message might be
more persuasive if it argues that we should transition to renewable
energy because fossil fuels are unethical due to pollution harming
innocent people (violating a common moral principle) and to fewer people
if it argues that we should make this transition because of climate
change. Similarly, a message could argue that fossil fuels are unethical
because the pollution contaminates the cleanliness of the natural
environment – activating another key “moral foundation” of purity.

https://climatecommunication.yale.edu/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/moral_msg_fig1.png

Here, we report findings from a recent experiment testing whether
persuasive effects are enhanced by explicitly emphasizing the moral and
ethical aspects of different energy sources. Although all information
about the harms of fossil fuels and benefits of renewable energy could
be interpreted as having some degree of moral implications, it is
important for communicators to know if it is beneficial to explicitly
make a strong moral claim as a reason to transition away from fossil
fuels. Therefore, our study tested the effect of explicitly calling out
those ethical implications, compared to only describing the negative
impacts of fossil fuel use without an explicit statement about morals
and ethics.

Overall, we found that explicitly emphasizing the moral aspects of the
issue did not provide a boost in either persuasiveness or message
durability. Put simply, we found that the messages describing the
negative effects of fossil fuels and advantages of clean energy already
had strong and durable effects and nothing was gained by adding an
explicit claim about ethics. While this is only one study, the findings
suggest that direct statements about the morality or immorality of
different energy sources do not necessarily enhance the persuasiveness
of messages.

In our study, research participants were randomly assigned to watch one
of five animated videos. Two non-moralized videos explained how fossil
fuels can harm human health and the environment, respectively. Two
“moralized” videos contained the same information but also included
additional arguments about why this means using fossil fuels is
inherently immoral, because doing so harms innocent people or
contaminates the purity of nature, respectively. The image below
provides an example. The fifth video, which provided information about
an unrelated topic, provided the control (baseline) condition.
We found that all four messages were effective at changing beliefs about
renewable energy and support for an energy transition. However, adding
the specific moral claims (“this is unethical”) did not increase the
persuasiveness of the message. Instead, all messages were similarly
effective.

*Persuasive Effects Over Time*
In addition to investigating the immediate persuasive effects of the
video messages, we also tested how long the persuasive effects lasted.
Most studies on persuasion only measure immediate effects – that is, how
attitudes and opinions are affected right after persuasive messages are
presented. But it is critical to also understand how durable these
changes are. Persuasion that quickly fades away might not be practically
useful, especially when the desired outcomes are longer-term, such as
changing daily habits or voting in a future election.

Accordingly, we measured participants’ opinions at three different
times: immediately after seeing the message, about 10 days later, and
then finally after another 10 days. This allows us to measure how much
the initial changes in opinions persisted (or decayed) over time. Our
findings (visualized in the figure below) showed that all four messages
– whether moralized or not – had durable persuasive effects on people’s
support for a transition to renewable energy. Across the four different
messages, between 32% and 48% of the original treatment effect was still
present after three weeks. However, we found no evidence of an added
boost in durability from the explicit moralization of the message.
Instead, there was similarly strong durability across all versions of
the message.
We are currently preparing the full paper for submission to a scholarly
journal.
https://climatecommunication.yale.edu/publications/moral-messages-increase-support-for-renewable-energy/

/[  German news organization discussion video 26 min ]/
*Record heat, drought and extreme weather: Can we still adapt? | To the
Point*
DW News
Jul 20, 2023  #climatechange #extremeweather #heatwaves
Extreme weather conditions and no end in sight. More and more parts of
the world are reporting new heat records. Temperatures sometimes reach
life-threatening levels.
Like in the US or in China’s northwest. This comes as forest fires burn
thousands and thousands of urgently needed trees. Torrential rains cause
floods in one part of the world while others are seeing droughts.
The fact is: weather extremes are on the rise. Yet the earth has only
heated up by an average of 1.1 degrees.
If the goal of limiting warming to a maximum of 1.5 degrees were to be
reached, the effects would probably be even worse.
So on To the Point, we ask: Record heat, drought, and extreme weather:
Can we still adapt?
Our guests: Claudia Kemfert (DIW); Mekonnen Mesghena (Heinrich
Böll-Stiftung); Matthew Karnitschnig (Politico
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JgYnAke2ug

/[ Ice that is one mile thick is melting. Existing Greenland studies now
restudied  Troubling conclusions - video ]/
*New Research on a Greenland Meltdown 400,000 Years Ago Has Big
Implications for Climate Policy*
Andrew Revkin
Jul 20, 2023
Longtime climate-focused journalist Andy Revkin discusses a new study of
Greenland's past ice and climate changes with two authors, Paul Bierman
of the University of Vermont and Tammy Rittenour of Utah State University.
This paper is available this link:
www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.ade4248
Read more at Sustain What: https://revkin.substack.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGzTI6ExMxg

- -

[ from the Journal Science ]
*Deglaciation of northwestern Greenland during Marine Isotope Stage 11*
ANDREW J. CHRIST, TAMMY M. RITTENOUR, PAUL R. BIERMAN, BENJAMIN A.
KEISLING. KNUTZ, TONNY B. THOMSEN, NYNKE KEULEN. FOSDICK, SIDNEY R.
HEMMING, AND ELIZABETH K. THOMAS
HTTPS://ORCID.ORG/0000-0002-6489-7123+11 authors Authors Info & Affiliations
SCIENCE
Vol 381, Issue 6655
pp. 330-335
DOI: 10.1126/science.ade4248

    *Editor’s summary*
    Measurements made on subglacial sediment from the Camp Century ice
    core in northwestern Greenland show that the location was ice free
    during the interglacial that occurred around 400,000 years ago.
    Christ et al. used luminescence dating and cosmogenic nuclide data
    to show that the sediment was deposited under ice-free conditions
    after having been exposed at the surface to sunlight fewer than
    16,000 years earlier. The absence of ice at that location means that
    the Greenland Ice Sheet must have contributed more than 1.4 meters
    of sea-level equivalent to the high sea-level stand, when the
    average global air temperature was similar to what we will soon
    experience because of human-caused climate warming. —H. Jesse Smith

*Abstract*
Past interglacial climates with smaller ice sheets offer analogs for ice
sheet response to future warming and contributions to sea level rise;
however, well-dated geologic records from formerly ice-free areas are
rare. Here we report that subglacial sediment from the Camp Century ice
core preserves direct evidence that northwestern Greenland was ice free
during the Marine Isotope Stage (MIS) 11 interglacial. Luminescence
dating shows that sediment just beneath the ice sheet was deposited by
flowing water in an ice-free environment 416 ± 38 thousand years ago.
Provenance analyses and cosmogenic nuclide data and calculations suggest
the sediment was reworked from local materials and exposed at the
surface <16 thousand years before deposition. Ice sheet modeling
indicates that ice-free conditions at Camp Century require at least 1.4
meters of sea level equivalent contribution from the Greenland Ice Sheet.
www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.ade4248

/[The news archive - looking back at disinformation battles]/
/*July 21, 2008 */
July 21, 2008: The UK Office of Communication criticizes Britain's
Channel 4 for running the 2007 denialism doc "The Great Global Warming
Swindle." Below, Peter Sinclair of ClimateCrocks.com debunks the doc.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/22/science/earth/22clim.html?_r=0

http://youtu.be/boj9ccV9htk

http://youtu.be/8nrvrkVBt24

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli