[✔️] June 30, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Democracy Now - climate silence, News media, Rebecca Weston in Newsweek, Canada is on fire, Climate litigation evaluated, Best and worst scenarios, Heat will come, Air purifiers, 2011 polar bears in court.

Fri Jun 30 08:55:54 EDT 2023

/*June*//*30, 2023*/

/[ video -- every global warming and climate destabilization  ]/
*“Climate Silence”: Corporate Media Failing to Link Wildfires, Extreme
Weather to Climate Crisis*
Democracy Now!
Jun 29, 2023
We speak with author Genevieve Guenther about “climate silence” and how
the corporate media routinely fails in reporting on worsening extreme
weather events. “You need to connect the dots from what you’re reporting
to the climate crisis, and from the climate crisis to fossil fuels,”
says Guenther, whose forthcoming book is titled The Language of Climate
Politics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMV0wuJx75A

- -

/[ news media must report on the reality of the crisis ]/
*this is an emergency. climate silence is climate denial.
#EndClimateSilence now.*
climate change is not just a topic for the science or environment
section. it’s the essential context for stories about extreme weather,
energy, politics, business and finance, immigration, real estate,
travel, health, food, sports, and the arts.
#EndClimateSilence
here’s what you can do:

    1) follow and retweet us on twitter: @EndClimtSilence
    add your voice and say it LOUD!
    2) let us know about stories the media should have connected to
    climate change. tweet us or email us here: tips at endclimatesilence.org
    3) talk about climate breakdown with your friends, co-workers, and
    acquaintances, especially when it seems most awkward to do so.
    let’s #EndClimateSilence once and for all!

https://www.endclimatesilence.org/

/[ Clips from Newsweek opinion Rebecca Weston of the
ClimatePsychologyAlliance-US ]/
*You'll Never Guess Who Wants You to Be Anxious About Climate Change |
Opinion*
MIRANDA MASSIE AND REBECCA WESTON , CLIMATE CHANGE EXPERTS
ON 6/29/23
- -
We have bought into the fossil fuel PR trick of the individual carbon
footprint, brought to us by BP flacks in 2004. Far from taking any
responsibility for the enormous damage they've caused, Big Oil has
convinced us that our individual consumption causes climate change,
rather than their own exploitation of fossil fuels. With astonishing
success, the industry has succeeded in channeling our escalating
distress and our yearning for solutions into a narrative that blames and
thereby silences us...
- -
But even as intensifying catastrophes lead more and more people to see
that the problem goes well beyond what we do, or don't, buy in aisle
five of the supermarket, we live with a stomach-churning sense of
complicity and cognitive dissonance. Feeling both that it is our fault
and that our actions are too miniscule to matter, most of us stay silent
on climate.

Because of this silence, we feel outnumbered and alone. Even privately,
most of us don't discuss climate with family or friends. As a 2022 study
demonstrates, Americans occupy a dangerous "false social reality,"
consistently and dramatically underestimating support for meaningful
climate action and assuming their neighbors, friends, and colleagues
don't care..
- -
  Imagine what could happen if the climate silence were broken and the
support for transformational action that is felt privately by a U.S.
supermajority were expressed publicly across our culture in day-to-day
life and in the civic sphere. Would the Biden administration have
approved the Willow Pipeline? Would Joe Manchin be pertinent? The entire
range of what's politically imaginable would shift dramatically in a
positive—in fact, necessary—direction.

Beyond that, sustained and at the right scale, breaking the climate
silence will set in motion a cultural shift that supports the policy
changes we need and deserve—those that will stabilize the climate,
address the injustices embedded in the climate crisis, and alleviate
eco-anxiety at its source.
https://www.newsweek.com/youll-never-guess-who-wants-you-anxious-about-climate-change-opinion-1810019

/[ Opinion in the Guardian ]/
*Canada is on fire, and big oil is the arsonist*
Tzeporah Berman
Tue 20 Jun 2023
Canada is on fire from coast to coast to coast. Thousands have been
evacuated, millions exposed to air pollution, New York a doom orange and
even the titans of Wall Street choking.

Catastrophic flooding in Pakistan, back-to-back cyclones in the Pacific
islands and droughts in Africa haven’t been enough to create a tipping
point for action. Now that climate impacts have hit the economic capital
of western power, will it spur governments in the global north to get
serious?
A lack of scientific knowledge about climate change is not the barrier.
Nor is a lack of cleaner, safer, cheaper energy alternatives. The IPCC
said as much last year – the barrier is vested fossil fuel interests
putting their profit above our safety.

We know exactly which fossil fuel companies are robbing us of clean air
and a secure future. We can now measure which oil companies are
responsible for wildfires (13 operate in Canada), but oil executives are
still calling the shots.

Internationally, big oil has been flooding the climate talks for
decades. The result? The Paris agreement doesn’t even include the words
fossil fuels, oil, gas or coal. And today we are on track to produce
110% more oil, gas and coal by 2030 than the world can ever burn, or it
will burn us. If we are going to manage the decline of fossil-fuel
production in an equitable and fair way we need our governments to stand
up to big oil and start negotiating a new international agreement on
fossil fuels to complement the Paris agreement.

Back at home, as the smoke rolled in, the prime minister, Justin
Trudeau, promised to do whatever it takes to keep people safe. But
Ottawa just backed another loan guarantee for the Trans Mountain
Pipeline. “Whatever it takes” – except tackling the industries stoking
the flames.

Trudeau is not alone in refusing to acknowledge the need to stop
expansion of oil and gas. That same attitude – “we must act on climate
change but my expansion of fossil fuels is OK” – is alive and well south
of our border where Biden has recently approved the Willow project and more.

These are scary times. Global leaders declare a climate emergency while
approving projects to expand oil and gas. In Canada and around the
world, fossil fuel proponents are still being elected. Alberta’s
premier, Danielle Smith, used her victory speech to rally her
constituents against the federal government’s plan to clean the grid as
her province burns.

For more than five decades, oil and gas companies have muddled the truth
and blocked progress. They’ve spent millions on PR campaigns to convince
the public that expanding fossil fuels is safe, reasonable and
unavoidable and that the alternatives are problematic and unreliable.
It’s working. Canadians are alarmed about climate change yet are largely
unaware that most of Canada’s carbon pollution comes from fossil fuels
like oil and gas. Half of the public say they’re unsure whether “solar
panels emit more greenhouse gases during manufacturing than they end up
saving”.

These messages and those who peddle them have an impact on politics.
Canada subsidises oil and gas more than any other G20 nation, averaging
$14bn annually between 2018 and 2020. Now big oil is getting tax breaks
for carbon capture and storage – an unproven technology that won’t
change the fact that Canada needs to phase out fossil fuels. Funding the
industry to continue is like giving arsonists a tinderbox to play with...

Fossil fuel companies and their executives don’t need our money. In
fact, they use it against us. Take the Koch brothers, who have funded
anti-climate and anti-clean energy campaigns. Or the fossil fuel
industry’s Pathway Alliance in Canada that is running “Let’s Clear the
Air” misinformation ads to an audience coughing and choking on their
product.

Fossil fuel companies’ net-zero pledges are meaningless and we need to
stop pretending we can negotiate with them. We need to start regulating
them.

John Valliant, homing in on the recent Alberta election, puts it more
provocatively: “Alberta politics is still a largely and wholly owned
subsidiary of the petroleum industry.” And: “The petroleum industry is a
wholly owned subsidiary of fire.”

Governments need to represent us, not fossil-fuel profiteers. We need
plans to phase out fossil fuel production and emissions. Plans that
include protections and support for communities and workers dependent on
oil, gas and coal.

But that’s not enough. Wealthy fossil-fuel producing countries like
Canada must support countries in the global south to be part of the
transition to clean energy so it can happen in a fast and fair way.

Oil, gas and coal are burning us. Politically and now literally. That’s
why 101 Nobel laureates and over 3,000 scientists are calling for a
fossil fuel non-proliferation treaty. Six countries and 84 subnational
governments have already endorsed it. It’s time for yours to get on
board, too.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jun/20/canada-wildfires-big-oil

/[ Global view of climate litigation according to the London School of
Economics   ]/
*Global Trends in Climate Litigation| LSE Event**
*This event marks the launch of the Grantham Research Institute’s (GRI)
2023 Global Trends in Climate Change Litigation Policy Report, an annual
report now in its fifth year. This influential report presents an
overview of climate litigation, highlighting recent developments and
future trends. The report is widely read and cited by civil society
organisations, policymakers, the legal community, judges, financiers,
scholars and media all around the world.

Over the past year, the climate litigation field has seen novel case
strategies deployed against a broad array of government and corporate
actors. Notable examples in the private sector include a world-first
case brought against Shell's Board of Directors, as well as against a
commercial bank. Three new cases have also been brought against Russia,
Finland and Sweden, to challenge the inadequacy of their national
climate plans more Increasingly a broad range of actors is compelled to
understand how the litigation landscape is evolving and what risks
litigation poses to their activities in the public and private spheres.

Speaker(s):
Maria Antonia Tigre
David Gaukrodger
Sophie Marjanac
Dr Birsha Ohdedar
Catherine Higham & Dr Joana Setzer (Report Authors)
Chair:   Professor Elizabeth Robinson
https://www.lse.ac.uk/Events/2023/06/202306291830/climate

/[ From the Guardian ]/
*‘It’s absolutely guaranteed’: the best and worst case scenarios for sea
level rise*
Karen McVeigh  @karenmcveigh1
Mon 26 Jun 2023
Even if the world stopped emitting greenhouse gases tomorrow, ocean
levels would continue to rise

Not only is dangerous sea level rise “absolutely guaranteed”, but it
will keep rising for centuries or millennia even if the world stopped
emitting greenhouse gases tomorrow, experts say.

Rising seas are one of the most severe consequences of a heating climate
that are already being felt.

Since the 1880s, mean sea level globally has already risen by 16cm to
21cm (6-8in). Half of that rise has happened over the past three decades.

It is accelerating, too: the ocean rose more than twice as fast (4.62mm
a year) in the most recent decade (2013-22) than it did in 1993-2002,
the first decade of satellite measurements, when the rate was 2.77mm a
year. Last year was a new high, according to the World Meteorological
Organization. It is no coincidence that the past eight years were the
warmest on record.

The numbers might seem small. Even 4.62mm is just half a centimetre a
year. So why did the UN secretary general, António Guterres, warn in
February that the increase in the pace of sea level rise threatens a
“mass exodus” of entire populations on a biblical scale?..
- -
Part of the problem is the that even if the world stopped emitting
greenhouse gases immediately – which it will not – sea levels would
continue to rise. Even in the best-case scenario, it’s too late to hold
back the ocean...

The reason for this is not widely known, outside the science community,
but is crucial. The systems causing sea level rise – specifically, the
thermal expansion of the ocean and the melting of glaciers and ice
sheets due to global heating – have a centuries-long time lag.
“The atmosphere changes quite rapidly but deep ocean circulation takes
centuries,” says Prof Jonathan Bamber, director of the Bristol
Glaciology Centre at the University of Bristol.

“As the heat sinks into the deep ocean, it takes centuries to be moved
around and for a new equilibrium to be reached. Ice sheets also have a
response time, so that if you change the thermometer tomorrow, it can
take hundreds to thousands of years to reach an equilibrium.

“Taken together, you’re talking multiple centuries to reach an
equilibrium with the new temperature we’ve established.”

To stop the acceleration of sea level rise over the past century, Bamber
says, we would have to go back to pre-industrial temperatures.

But under any temperature rise scenario, countries from Bangladesh to
China, India and the Netherlands, all with large coastal populations,
will be at risk. Megacities on every continent will face serious
impacts, including Lagos, Bangkok, Mumbai, Shanghai, London, Buenos
Aires and New York.
The climate crisis has many other hazards, of course: blistering
heatwaves, droughts, floods and more extreme weather events. But there
is a certain apocalyptic inevitability to a rising ocean.

“The thing about sea level rise is that it is absolutely guaranteed,”
Bamber says. “If you warm the planet, sea level is going to go up,
period, no caveats. The oceans warm up and the ice melts. It’s an
absolute given of global heating.”

So far, the ocean has acted as a buffer against global heating. About
90% of the energy trapped in the climate system by greenhouse gases goes
into the ocean as heat – keeping the planet cooler than it otherwise
would be, but threatening marine life. Even though the world has been
experiencing a cooler period over the past few years (known as La Niña
conditions), more than half – 58% – of the ocean surface last year
experienced at least one marine heatwave.

But heat is just one factor in the rising sea. Thermal expansion
explained about 50% of sea level rise during 1971-2018 – the other
components are glacier melt (22%), ice-sheet melt (20%) and changes in
land water storage.

The impact is hard to gauge because the ocean does not rise at the same
speed uniformly, it’s not like a bath. For one thing, Earth is not a
perfect sphere; temperatures are also different across the planet, and
are affected by ocean currents. The impact of sea level rise are boosted
by storm surges and tidal variation, as happened during Hurricane Sandy
in New York and Cyclone Idai in Mozambique.

What we do know, of course, is that the first impact of rising seas will
be on coastal communities worldwide, especially densely populated,
low-lying urban areas. Major cities on all continents are at risk and it
is an existential threat for countries such as Tuvalu and other small
island developing states.

Making predictions over populations at risk, however, is not
straightforward either. While the Netherlands, which has one of the
lowest elevations in the world, is at risk from sea level rise, it also
has gone to great lengths to build defences to protect itself.

“A headline that says, for example, more than a quarter of the
Netherlands will be underwater by 2100 – that sounds very dramatic,”
says Prof Gerd Masselink, an expert in coastal geomorphology at the
University of Plymouth. “But at the moment, people in the Netherlands
are walking around and riding their bikes below sea level. There are
coastal defence structures in place. And if you say 200 million people
are going to be affected by rising sea level: well, anyone who lives on
the coast is affected in some way, but it doesn’t actually mean that
they’re going to lose their house right away.”
*Best and worst case scenarios by 2100*
So how bad could things get? Again, it’s hard to predict exactly, but
the IPCC has tried its hand at modelling different scenarios for how
high sea levels will rise by 2100, based on how well humanity succeeds
in mitigating the climate crisis. Each scenario is the result of complex
calculations (“shared socioeconomic pathways”, or SSPs, which get
expressed as a number) that take into account likely emissions, but also
consider potential socioeconomic changes such as population, urban
density, education, land use and wealth – which also affect fossil fuel use.

*Most optimistic: 1.5C heating = 28-55cm sea level rise*
If the world shifts towards a more sustainable future, sticks to
development targets and meets the Paris climate goal of keeping global
heating to 1.5C by 2050, in the near term – ie, over the next century –
the likely global mean sea level is predicted to rise by 0.28-0.55m. The
IPCC calls this its “sustainability” scenario (an SSP rating of 1-1.9).
*Middle of the road: 1.8C = 32-62cm*
Assuming socioeconomic and technology trends do not shift markedly,
inequality persists but we can meet a “low” emissions target (SSP 1-2.6)
that keeps global heating to within 1.8C by the end of the century, sea
levels are predicted to rise 0.32–0.62m.
*Regional rivalry: 2.7C = 44-76cm*
An intermediate greenhouse gas emission scenario (SSP 2-4.5) where net
zero is not reached by 2100, this scenario assumes a resurgent
nationalism that makes environmental concerns a low international
priority as states seek development over sustainability.
*Inequality: 3.6C = 55-90cm*
A very high emission scenario where CO2 doubles from current levels
until 2100 (SSP3-7) because of highly unequal investment in human
capital, increasing inequalities across and within countries, and more
investment in coal.
*Fossil duel development: 4.4C = 63-101cm+*
Social and economic development is coupled with exploitation of fossil
fuel resources to run energy-intensive lifestyles around the world. The
IPCC also warns of a “low-likelihood high impact” scenario (SSP5-8.5) in
which ice sheet instability drives sea levels above 2 metres by the end
of this century alone.
The worst case we’re looking at is something like more than 2 metres in
a century,” Bamber says.

“To put that in context, 2 metres of sea level rise would displace, or
would affect or flood on an annual basis, approximately a 10th of the
planet’s population, so about 790 million people.” (In 2020, 896 million
people lived within the “low elevation coastal zone – a figure probably
rising to 1 billion people by 2050.)

*The end of the beginning*
In all of these cases, it’s important to remember that sea levels won’t
stop there – they’ll keep rising long beyond 2100.

These estimates are just the IPCC’s immediate threat assessment for
where the world might be by the end of this century.
What’s more, the different emission scenarios actually have a relatively
small impact over sea level rise in the short term – but they begin to
diverge dramatically in the longer term. Over the next 200 years, global
mean sea level will rise by about 2-3 metres if warming is limited to
1.5C, but it could double to 2-6 metres if the warming is limited to
even a slightly higher figure of 2C.

At sustained warming levels of 2-3C, the Greenland and West Antarctic
ice sheets will be irreversibly gone. The collapse of major Antarctic
ice shelves at the end of the century, followed by increased discharge
of ice, could lead to catastrophic sea level rise by 2300 of 9-15
metres, under strong warming. And if global heating advances to 5C, the
planet could expect 19-22 metres of sea level rise, wiping out entire
cities and countries by the year 2300.

Masselink says he is struck by the timescale of global heating impact –
the delay between our actions now and future repercussions.

“What I’ve always found remarkable is that, while the difference between
‘no more greenhouse gas emissions’ and ‘keep burning’ is significant, it
is not going to make that big an impact in the next few decades,” he says.

“[Where] it’s going to make a huge difference [is] not for us, but for
our children’s children. That’s the difficult thing to get your head
around.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jun/26/its-absolutely-guaranteed-the-best-and-worst-case-scenarios-for-sea-level-rise

/[ Covering Climate Now    ]/
*The Heat Will Come… and Come*
Record temperatures in China and beyond refute the notion that fossil
fuels are key to economic prosperity
https://coveringclimatenow.org/climate-beat-story/the-heat-will-come-and-come/

/[ Cough, cough ]/
*The Best Air Purifier - A Buying Guid*e
Consumer Analysis
24.3K subscribers
Feb 24, 2020
Current list of top rated air purifiers overall:
1. Winix 5500-2 - https://amzn.to/2Pwp1Dx
2. Coway Mighty - https://amzn.to/2TjOy3O
3. Austin Air HealthMate - https://amzn.to/2TaVXny
The latest updated list of top rated air purifiers overall:
https://www.consumeranalysis.com/guid...

https://youtu.be/Cgn-K5wbh2A

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*June 30, 2011*/
June 30, 2011: US District Judge Emmet Sullivan upholds the 2008
decision by the Bush administration to declare polar bears "threatened"
under the Endangered Species Act.
http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2011/06/30/30greenwire-judge-upholds-threatened-listing-for-polar-bea-13044.html

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/species/mammals/polar_bear/pdfs/268_ORDER.pdf

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli