[✔️] March 7, 2023- Global Warming News Digest |

Tue Mar 7 08:20:00 EST 2023

/*March 7, 2023*/

/[ VP speaks in Colorado ]/
*Vice President Kamala Harris spoke about climate change to Arvada crowd*
Congresswoman Brittany Pettersen and world-class climber Sasha DiGiulian
discussed the issue in Arvada Monday.
By NICK COLTRAIN | ncoltrain at denverpost.com | The Denver Post
PUBLISHED: March 6, 2023 .
ARVADA — Vice President Kamala Harris highlighted the complexities and
interconnected challenges posed by climate change during a visit to the
Denver metro area Monday.

Harris, a Democrat, spoke to an at-capacity, 500-person auditorium, and
overflow rooms at the Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities. Dozens
of state and local elected officials were in attendance. She was joined
by newly elected Congresswoman Brittany Pettersen, of Lakewood, and
world-class rock climber Sasha DiGiulian, of Boulder.

The three Westerners — Harris is from California — noted the extreme
threat climate change and the drought it drives pose to the region.
Harris, who landed at Denver International Airport from Los Angeles,
recalled the much-needed snow covering the California mountains as she
left. But also the danger the snowpack posed if it melted into a flood.
She called it a weather whiplash.

“We’re looking at everything from drought to extreme rain and snow,”
Harris said. “Here in Colorado, I don’t need to tell you what that has
meant.”
She did not tout any specific new proposals from the federal government
but highlighted new technologies and ways of thinking about the
challenges. Building off the flood example, Harris noted efforts to
pivot from treating floods as pure disasters in need of mitigation as
also opportunities to capture water before it rushes into the ocean. She
also noted new satellite technology that helps track water sources from
space and how it can help steer policy.

While acknowledging that water issues are interconnected — and
highlighting the Colorado River as a specific example of that — she did
not wade into the controversy and brewing fights over the rights to the
West’s aquatic artery.

Pettersen, who has a young son, noted how much climate change has
already changed daily life in the state. She recalled playing outdoors
regularly as she grew up in Jefferson County. Now, air quality days
cancel sporting events and lead to warnings to keep kids indoors, she said.

“We have to stop just talking about our obligation for the next
generation — and believe me that motives me more than anything now,
having a young son — but we need to talk about what is happening right
now,” Pettersen said.

Two of the introductory speakers, Shere Walker-Ravenell of the Black
Parents United Foundation and Olga Gonzalez of Cultivando, each talked
about how climate change and pollution disproportionately affect
communities of color and poorer communities. Gonzalez specifically cited
pollution from the Suncor oil refinery...
“We ask you to join us in pushing for regulations that actually protect
human health so that our children do not continue to be sacrificed for
the sake of cheaper gasoline,” Gonzalez said...
https://www.denverpost.com/2023/03/06/kamala-harris-colorado-climate-change-vp/

/[  SEVERE WEATHER EUROPE - weather is a small fraction of climate ]/
*A strong Blocking system is forming over Greenland, changing the
Weather patterns across Northern Hemisphere as we head into Spring*
By AuthorAndrej Flis
Published: 05/03/2023
Weather pattern changes have begun over the Northern Hemisphere, with a
blocking high-pressure system building over Greenland. This is a result
of the Stratospheric warming event and the collapse of the Polar Vortex
circulation. The main effects will be felt across North America and over
northern Europe.

The Sudden Stratospheric Warming event (SSW) has left a strong mark on
the Polar weather circulation and the atmosphere.

As a result, a significant high-pressure blocking system is building
over Greenland and will impact the entire North American region and
Europe in the coming weeks.

*ATMOSPHERIC CIRCULATION AND WEATHER*
The processes that have initiated the upcoming pattern change are
underway in different parts of the atmosphere. This is because there are
many layers to the atmosphere, and our weather unfolds in the lowest
layer of the atmosphere, called the Troposphere.

But above that, we have the Stratosphere, also the home of the ozone
layer. Both layers have their own circulation and are connected in many
different ways. The main overall circulation is what we call the Polar
Vortex.

For this reason, we tend to separate the entire Polar Vortex into an
upper (stratospheric) and a lower (tropospheric) part. They both play
their role differently, so we monitor them separately. But how they are
connected is also very important—image by NOAA-Climate...
- -
We monitor any Polar Vortex activity because it can affect weather
across the entire Northern Hemisphere. And it can impact the weather
differently, depending if it is weak or strong.

A strong Polar Vortex usually means strong polar circulation. This locks
the colder air into the Arctic circle, creating milder conditions for
most of the United States and Europe.

In contrast, a weak Polar Vortex creates a weak jet stream pattern. As a
result, it has a harder time containing the cold air, which can now
escape from the polar regions into the United States and Europe—Image by
NOAA.
https://www.severe-weather.eu/global-weather/strong-blocking-system-polar-vortex-collapse-cold-weather-united-states-canada-europe-fa/

[ CNBC says ]
*Risky feedback loops are accelerating climate change, scientists warn*
MAR 6 2023
Emma Newburger
@EMMA_NEWBURGER
KEY POINTS

    -- Risky feedback loops that are accelerating global climate change
    may not be fully accounted for in current climate models, according
    to a recent study published in the scientific journal One Earth.

    -- A group of international scientists reviewed climate literature
    to identify 41 climate feedback loops, 27 of which are accelerating
    global warming.

    -- One instance of a positive feedback loop is that warming in the
    Arctic has led to melting sea ice, which has prompted even more
    warming because water has a darker surface than ice and therefore
    absorbs more heat...

A group of international scientists from institutions like Oregon State
University, Exeter University and the Potsdam Institute for Climate
Impact Research in Germany, identified 41 climate feedback loops in what
they called “the most extensive list available of climate feedback
loops.” Of these, they discovered 27 amplifying feedback loops that are
accelerating global warming and only seven that are slowing it.

A feedback loop is a cyclical chain reaction that either speeds up or
slows down warming. An amplifying, or positive, feedback loop is the
process in which an initial change that prompts temperature rise
triggers another change that causes even more temperature rise.
- -

“Consequently, the effects of greenhouse gas emissions could be
underestimated and strong climate mitigation policies are needed,” Wolf
added.

Other dangerous feedback loops include the thawing of permafrost, or the
frozen ground that underlies much of the Arctic and contains plant and
animal remains. As temperature rise accelerates the thaw of permafrost,
the organic matter in the frozen layer breaks down and releases carbon
dioxide and methane gas into the atmosphere.

Tim Lenton, an Earth systems scientist at the University of Exeter and
one of the study co-authors, said the results suggest that the
amplification of climate change could be greater than expected.

“That is yet another reason to accelerate action to limit global warming
– because that also limits how much it is going to get amplified by the
feedbacks in the climate system,” Lenton said.

Some feedback loops may also be associated with key climate tipping
points that could significantly disrupt the global climate system,
researchers said. For example, feedback loops that are driving ice melt
in the Arctic could ultimately trigger the collapse of the Greenland ice
sheet.

“In the worst case, if positive feedbacks are sufficiently strong, this
could result in tragic climate change outside the control of humans,”
researchers wrote.

“It is too late to fully prevent the pain of climate change as severe
impacts are already being felt, but if we can have a much better
understanding of feedback loops and make the needed transformative
changes soon while prioritizing basic human needs, there might still be
time to limit the harm,” they wrote.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/06/risky-feedback-loops-are-accelerating-climate-change-scientists-warn.html

- -

/[ From the scholarly publication "One Earth"]/
*Many risky feedback loops amplify the need for climate action*
COMMENTARY| VOLUME 6, ISSUE 2, P86-91, FEBRUARY 17, 2023
William J. Ripple
Christopher Wolf
Timothy M. Lenton
Philip B. Duffy
Johan Rockström
Hans Joachim Schellnhuber
DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oneear.2023.01.004
Many feedback loops significantly increase warming due to greenhouse gas
emissions. However, not all of these feedbacks are fully accounted for
in climate models. Thus, associated mitigation pathways could fail to
sufficiently limit temperatures. A targeted expansion of research and an
accelerated reduction of emissions are needed to minimize risks.

*Summary*
The first step in curbing the near-term climate impacts and minimizing
the risk of an eventual catastrophic outcome is for us to expand our
awareness of the severity of our predicament.18 Thus, we have described
an extensive set of potentially harmful feedback loops to increase our
understanding, justify a more serious response, and motivate work into
less probable but dangerously underexplored scenarios.18
It is too late to fully prevent the pain of climate change as severe
impacts are already being felt, but if we can have a much better
understanding of feedback loops and make the needed transformative
changes soon while prioritizing basic human needs, there might still be
time to limit the harm. Even if it turns out that feedbacks are already
sufficiently characterized, these changes will provide enormous benefits
to human well-being and the entire biosphere. Conversely, if the
worst-case risks posed by feedback loops and tipping points have been
underestimated, the future of a hospitable planet Earth may be at stake.
https://www.cell.com/one-earth/fulltext/S2590-3322(23)00004-0

/[  EuroNews thinks this is an importan//t news story  ]/
*US got a record-breaking 40% of its energy from carbon-free sources in
2022, report reveals*
By Angela Symons  •  Updated: 3/5/2023
Carbon-free sources supplied over 40 per cent of the US’s total energy
output in 2022, a new report reveals. This is an all-time high.

The figure combines renewable generation - such as solar, wind and hydro
- and nuclear power. Nuclear and hydropower remained at similar levels
to previous years, so the majority of this increase comes from wind and
solar.

The data comes from the Sustainable Energy in America 2023 Factbook,
which pulls from various sources on US energy. It is produced by the
Business Council for Sustainable Energy...
The report also shows that electric vehicle (EV) sales surged by 50 per
cent in 2022 with nearly 982,000 new cars sold.

What is the outlook for sustainable energy in the US?
In 2022, construction of renewables facilities in the US slowed slightly
compared to previous years due to supply chain issues and inflation...
https://www.euronews.com/green/2023/03/05/us-got-a-record-breaking-40-of-its-energy-from-carbon-free-sources-in-2022-report-reveals

/[ an interview from the Web site  WORTH ]/
*The Connection Between Global Health & Global Warming*
Dr. Larry Brilliant discusses his time in an ashram, eradicating small
pox, and how humans are the most invasive species on the planet.

*You have done enormous research and communication around the pandemic.
What’s the connection between global health and global warming,
particularly concerning pandemics?*
The primary connection is that the antecedent causes of climate change
and global warming are many of the exact antecedent causes of pandemics.
As the Earth gets warmer, animals from the south migrate to the north.
Over a billion more people are at risk of malaria right now because the
Anopheles mosquito can now breed at higher altitudes and greater
latitudes. Animals meeting other animals carrying the same viruses leads
to variants. We’re having a tremendous amount of spillover because the
forests and rainforests are being clear-cut.

I was the science advisor on the film Contagion. We tried to make a
movie that would be a fictional representation of what we thought would
happen. We didn’t expect to get it so close. But the whole premise was a
bat with a virus enters the human environment, which is what happened
with COVID—and with SARS, and probably with MERS and Ebola.

Fossil fuels create greenhouse gases, leading to global warming. And
with that, you wind up changing the way water works, the way salt works,
and the entire ecosystem of the planet. The same things that cause
climate change cause spillover, where animals and humans live in each
other’s territory. Spillover is occurring now at five times the rate
that it did 50 years ago. Every year one, two, or three new novel
diseases that have never been seen in human beings are spilling over
from animals, and we’re exposed to them...
- -
*The theme of our conference is innovation must save the world. Do you
think innovation is going to help us save the world?*
A lot of innovations are pretty terrible. Nuclear weapons are an
innovation that hasn’t really worked out. But I hope innovation is going
to make a big difference. In the fight against COVID, for example, DARPA
worked on mRNA technology for years, and as a result, we had it ready to
convert into vaccines. That quickly saved millions and millions of lives.

But the innovation we need is a total change in human consciousness
about compassion, altruism, and stopping to think of others as others.
When I think of innovation, I think of the infrastructure of how we
allocate resources and the decisions we make. To have innovations that
are going to have enduring value, we have to help bridge the gap between
the rich and the poor, and do equitable redistribution of the resources
that we need to make the world a better place. We’ve got to focus on
vision and values. ...
https://www.worth.com/the-connection-between-global-health-global-warming/

/[ "North American Death Machines" rank as 7th most polluting globally -
video opinion rant ]/
*These Stupid Trucks are Literally Killing Us*
Not Just Bikes
March 6, 2023

Engineers, planners, politicians, and advocates all around the world are
trying to improve their cities and build more great walkable places with
viable alternatives to driving. But there's a looming trend that could
undo all of that hard work: the growth of SUVs and light trucks.

This could all be solved if these pathetic suburbanites could just buy
small cars, station wagons, or minivans instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN7mSXMruEo

///[ Smart cities  - the future is old  -- another video opinion ]/
*Japan's Futuristic Smart Cities Have A Dystopian Dark Side*
Joe Scott
55,503 views  Mar 6, 2023
- -
Saudi Arabia's NEOM smart city project has gotten a lot of attention
lately, but Japan has a handful of smart cities in development that are
every bit as innovative and weird and... maybe problematic? Especially a
project called The Woven City by Toyota. Let's take a look at them.

Here's Knowing Better's video on Company Towns, it's worth a watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rzFyBdKLvU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQn8RAzqJpY

/[ Company Towns - more video opinions ]/
*Un-American and yet, totally American | Company Towns*
Knowing Better
886,125 views  Jan 23, 2022  #antiwork #labor #history
There's a tendency to think about company towns as a quaint relic of the
past, something that disappeared a century ago. But company towns aren't
just some quirk of American history, they are American history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rzFyBdKLvU

/[ Old book, new expression of a classic idea ]/
Just discovered _*Finite and Infinite Games*_  a book by religious
scholar James P. Carse
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_and_Infinite_Games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6ME0_iXr4M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdIP6HilbWE
It starts very simply, -- very positively but can get complex and
dark.   Hmm..

/[The news archive - looking back at what general news outlets presented
in mass media ]/
/*March 7, 2016*/
March 7, 2016:
*MediaMatters.org reports:
*https://www.scribd.com/doc/302896750/Media-Matters-Climate-Broadcast-Study
*EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: *
"ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox collectively spent five percent less time
covering climate change in 2015, even though there were more newsworthy
climate-related events than ever before, including the EPA finalizing
the Clean Power Plan, Pope Francis issuing a climate change encyclical,
President Obama rejecting the Keystone XL pipeline, and 195 countries
around the world reaching a historic climate agreement in Paris. The
decline was primarily driven by ABC, whose climate coverage dropped by
59 percent; the only network to dramatically increase its climate
coverage was Fox, but that increase largely consisted of criticism of
efforts to address climate change. When the networks did discuss climate
change, they rarely addressed its impacts on national security, the
economy, or public health, yet most still found time to provide a forum
for climate science denial. On a more positive note, CBS and NBC -- and
PBS, which was assessed separately -- aired many segments that explored
the state of scientific research or detailed how climate change is
affecting extreme weather, plants, and wildlife."
https://www.scribd.com/doc/302896750/Media-Matters-Climate-Broadcast-Study

1 Key Findings:  2015 was a year marked by more landmark actions to
address climate change than everbefore, yet the combined climate
coverage on the top broadcast networks was down by5% from 2014.

In addition to overall coverage declining, the networks rarely addressed
how climatechange impacts national security, the economy, and public health

They also largely ignored the Clean Power Plan, America's most
significant climatepolicy, as well as the climate implications of the
Keystone XL pipeline, the New York
Attorney General’s investigation of ExxonMobil, and the EPA's methane
reduction plan

And the networks continued to give climate denial a platform: the top
Sunday showsaired more segments with climate science denial than they
did in 2014, while featuringfar fewer scientists
ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox collectively spent five percent less time
covering climate change in2015, even though there were more newsworthy
- -
Most Networks Aired Segments Featuring Climate Denial In 2015 Sunday
Shows Aired More Segments With Climate Science Denial Than They Did In 2014.
  In2014, the Sunday shows aired only four segments that included
climate science denial. In 2015,that number increased to six segments.
Climate denial surfaced in 50 percent of the climate-related segments on
NBC's
Meet the Press
  (three out of six segments), 17 percent of the climate-related
segments on CBS'
Face the Nation
(one out of six segments), and 14 percent of the climate-related segments on
Fox News Sunday
(two out of 14 segments). ABC's This Week
did not feature any climate science denial, but the program only
addressed climate change in two segments all year. [Media Matters 1/28/15]

Week, 12/13/15]
Number Of Scientists On Sunday Shows Down Sharply From 2014.
  After featuring just two scientists over a five year period from 2009
to 2013, the Sunday shows featured seven scientists in 2014 alone (16
percent of all Sunday show guests). But the Sunday shows back slidon
that progress in 2015, quoting or interviewing just two scientists (four
percent of all Sunday show guests). [Media Matters, 1/16/14; 1/28/15]

CBS Evening News, Face the Nation, NBC Nightly News, And PBS NewsHour
Were Only Programs To Air Stories On Climate-Related Scientific Research.

CBS' Face the Nation, CBS Evening News, NBC Nightly News, and PBS
NewsHourwere the only news programs to air stories detailing scientific
research related to climate change.

CBS Evening News  aired seven segments on climate-related scientific
research, including a segment in its "Climate Diaries"series that
highlighted researchers' efforts to study the release of methane from
permafrost thaw.

NBC Nightly News aired five segments on climate-related research,
including a segment on National Aeronautics and Space Administration
(NASA) and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
reports that 2014 was the hottest year on record, which included an
interview with NASA scientist Jim Tucker.
PBS NewsHour aired 12 segments about scientific research related to
climate change, including a segment that examined the relationship
between climate change and El Nino weather patterns. [CBS' Face the
Nation, 12/13/15; CBS Evening News, 11/30/15;
NBC Nightly News, 1/16/15;
PBS NewsHour, 3/11/15]
After Reaching Six-Year High In Climate Coverage In 2014, Sunday Show
Coverage Dropped In2015 Sunday Show Climate Coverage Dropped Off After A
Peak Year In 2014.
  In 2014, the Sunday shows aired 81 minutes of climate change coverage
-- a high for Sunday shows over the seven-year timeframe
Media Matters  has analyzed. _The increase occurred after nine U.S.
senators sent a letter to network executives criticizing the Sunday
shows for airing "shockingly little discussion" of climate change. In
2015, the Sunday shows provided 73 minutes of climatechange coverage, a
decrease of eight minutes from the previous year, yet still above the
six year average of 36 minutes from 2009 to 2014. [Media Matters, 1/28/15] _

http://mediamatters.org/research/2016/03/07/study-how-broadcast-networks-covered-climate-ch/208881
https://www.scribd.com/doc/302896750/Media-Matters-Climate-Broadcast-Study#

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli