[✔️] March 10, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Notice money, Pew Research,

Fri Mar 10 09:06:10 EST 2023

/*March 10, 2023*/

/[ Yeah?  Well,.. duh! ]/
*Treasury Secretary Yellen warns  that losses tied to climate change
could ‘cascade through the financial system’*
PUBLISHED, MAR 7 2023/
/

    --  Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Tuesday warned that climate
    change could cause asset-value losses throughout the country’s
    financial system in the coming years.

    --  Yellen made the remarks during the first meeting with the
    Climate-related Financial Risk Advisory Committee.

    --  “A delayed and disorderly transition to a net-zero economy can
    lead to shocks to the financial system as well,” Yellen said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/07/yellen-warns-climate-change-is-causing-major-financial-losses-in-us-.html/

/[ "Part of the anxiety is the feeling that nobody is doing anything
about it"  27 min audio file]/
*DR. SUSAN CLAYTON – HOW IS YOUR CLIMATE ANXIETY?*
If you are not worried about climate change, you don’t know, don’t want
to know, or try hard not to think about it. But experts find millions of
people are suffering psychologically. They have climate anxiety, or
depression, and other symptoms that damage lives.

In a worried world, Dr. Susan Clayton is busy. She is an acknowledged
expert in the field. Clayton helped develop a scale to measure climate
anxiety. She publishes assessments for the American Psychological
Association. Susan helped cover this growing problem in the latest
report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. In Ohio, at the
College of Wooster, Clayton is a social and environmental psychologist.
She is also a visiting fellow at the Institute for Advanced Studies in
Paris.
- - https://www.ecoshock.net/downloads/ES_SClayton.mp3
The Center for Disease Control just issued a serious warning about
deteriorating mental health in American teens. The CDC said: “In 2021,
more than 4 in 10 [(42%)] students felt persistently sad or hopeless.”
One child in ten attempted suicide. This is terrible! The pandemic did
not help. But is climate anxiety part of it, and how do you know?

My studio is in British Columbia, Canada. My wife and I lived through
the record-smashing heat dome in 2021. That was after the wild fires
burned half the area around us in years before. We used to love summer,
but now my wife dreads it. Susan Clayton and team did a study on the
2021 heat dome in B.C. and how people felt about it. This was
fortuitous, because a full survey of residents was done just before the
fires. With a follow-up, these researcher were able to track the
impacts, the changes in people’s feeling and attitudes. The paper is:
Bratu, A., et al. (2022). The 2021 Western North America heat dome
increased climate change anxiety among British Columbians: Results from
a natural experiment. Journal of Climate Change and Health.

In B.C. after the fires, Clayton et al found: “Most participants
indicated that they were much (40.1%) or somewhat (18.4%) more worried
about climate change due to the heat dome. “

With her Wooster colleague Brian Karazsia, you developed a climate
anxiety scale. It has been tested and validated in several countries,
including Poland and Germany. “To this end, Clayton and Karazsia (2020)
recently proposed a climate change anxiety scale (CCAS). The CCAS is
designed to capture the extent to which people experience
cognitive-emotional and functional impairment as a result of thinking
about climate change.”

That Anxiety Scale paper is “Development and validation of a measure of
climate change anxiety”
April 2020 Journal of Environmental Psychology 69:101434

TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT CLIMATE AND MENTAL HEALTH…
A whole lot of major institutions are waking up to the massive problem
of mental health during the destruction of nature. Susan Clayton is with
the American Psychological Association. The American Psychiatric
Association has pamphlets online about this. The World Health
Organization has named mental health as a priority in climate risk and
response. Susan Clayton helped write the first strong language about
this threat in the latest report from the Intergovernmental Panel on
Climate Change.

One thing I ask Susan: Do you think millions of people could become
anxious or depressed to the point they cannot react to obvious climate
damage? Is climate change disabling the ability to respond to climate
change?

Clayton and Manning published an influential book on the subject in
2018: “Psychology and climate change: Human perceptions, impacts, and
Health” In Jan. 2021 in Current Environmental Health Reports [$paywall]

Interview recording - - https://www.ecoshock.net/downloads/ES_SClayton.mp3

https://www.ecoshock.org/2023/02/are-you-too-worried-about-climate-change.html

- -

/[  To measure Climate Change Anxiety ] /
*Climate Change Anxiety Scale*
The Climate Change Anxiety Scale is a 22-item measure of the emotional
response to climate change. The measure has four sub-scales including
cognitive and emotional impairment, functional impairment, personal
experience of climate change, and behavioral engagement. The scale has
been validated in the U.S.
Categories
Geographies Tested: United States of America

Populations Included: Female, Male, Other

Age Range: Adults
Items: Please rate how often the following statements are true of you.

Cognitive-emotional impairment
1. Thinking about climate change makes it difficult for me to concentrate.
2. Thinking about climate change makes it difficult for me to sleep.
3. I have nightmares about climate change.
4. I find myself crying because of climate change.
5. I think, “why can't I handle climate change better?”
6. I go away by myself and think about why I feel this way about climate
change.
7. I write down my thoughts about climate change and analyze them.
8. I think, “why do I react to climate change this way?”

Functional impairment
9. My concerns about climate change make it hard for me to have fun with
my family or friends.
10. I have problems balancing my concerns about sustainability with the
needs of my family.
11. My concerns about climate change interfere with my ability to get
work or school assignments done.
12. My concerns about climate change undermine my ability to work to my
potential.
13. My friends say I think about climate change too much.

Personal experience of climate change
14. I have been directly affected by climate change.
15. I know someone who has been directly affected by climate change.
16. I have noticed a change in a place that is important to me due to
climate change.

Behavioral engagement
17. I wish I behaved more sustainably.
18. I recycle.
19. I turn off lights.
20. I try to reduce my behaviors that contribute to climate change.
21. I feel guilty if I waste energy.
22. I believe I can do something to help address the problem of climate
change.

Response Options:
Never - 1
Rarely - 2
Sometimes - 3
Often - 4
Almost always - 5

Original Citation
Clayton, S., & Karazsia, B. T. (2020). Development and validation of a
measure of climate change anxiety. Journal of Environmental Psychology,
69, 101434. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvp.2020.101434

https://emerge.ucsd.edu/r_1otfxsqqgiayc80/

/[ Is true Adaptation ultimately //about wealth?  Or about morality?
What say Billy? ]/
*Bill Gates: Expecting people to stop eating meat or consumers to cut
back won’t be enough to fix climate change*
MAR 8 2023
Catherine Clifford
KEY POINTS

    - - It’s unrealistic to expect climate change to be meaningfully
    mitigated by expecting global demand for energy to drop
    significantly or people to stop eating meat, Bill Gates said at an
    event in India earlier in March. Instead, innovation of new and
    better solutions is a more likely and productive outcome.

    - - Gates also brought up air conditioning, which, as the world gets
    warmer, is going to be used more and more. If that air conditioning
    is powered by electricity which generates emissions that cause
    climate change, then you have created a counterproductive positive
    feedback loop.

    - - Gates also addressed nuclear energy. He’s an investor in both
    nuclear fission and fusion and says both would be “good for
    humanity” if they can be executed well.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/08/bill-gates-asking-people-to-stop-eating-meat-wont-fix-climate-change.html/

/[ Study from the Pew Research Center ]/
*How Young Adults Want Their Country To Engage With the World*Focus
group findings from France, Germany, the UK and the U.S.
BY LAURA SILVER, MOIRA FAGAN, JORDAN LIPPERT, SHANNON GREENWOOD, CHRIS
BARONAVSKI AND MICHAEL KEEGAN
MARCH 8, 2023

Decades of cross-national surveys have found that younger people tend to
be more internationally oriented than older adults. They usually have
more positive views of international organizations and foreign countries
and are more likely to prioritize international cooperation.

But young people differ from one another over how they want their
country to engage with the world. Some feel their country has an
obligation to people beyond their borders. Others doubt their country
has the resources to pursue international actions. To better understand
these perspectives, we conducted 16 focus groups with young adults in
France, Germany, the United Kingdom and the United States.

In each country, there were four focus groups, organized around their
participants’ ideologies and views on foreign engagement. Despite
different histories and current political climates, four distinct
attitudes about how best to engage with the world were consistent
cross-nationally:

The left-leaning, internationally engaged groups emphasize the moral
duty to be involved overseas. Still, there is a great deal of doubt
about whether they can trust their government to get involved for the
right reasons.

The left-leaning, domestically focused groups also feel a moral
obligation to help overseas. But skepticism about their government and a
widespread sense that their own country needs dramatic changes leads
them to prioritize “getting their own house in order.”...

The right-leaning, domestically focused groups see their country in a
state of economic distress. They feel that their country’s resources are
limited and that it is more important to focus on domestic issues than
to send resources abroad – and that their country should strive for
self-sufficiency...
The right-leaning, internationally engaged groups see their country as
intertwined with others. They view international cooperation as
benefiting their country’s economic and security interests...

    *Domestically focused young adults see domestic and foreign policy
    as ‘zero-sum’...**
    *
    *Domestically focused young people want to ‘get their own house in
    order’...**
    *
    *Left-leaning young people see their country’s overseas involvement
    making things worse...**
    *
    *Even young adults who emphasize problems at home don’t want to be
    isolationists...**
    *
    *Internationally engaged young people see benefits and moral
    obligation to focus overseas...**
    *
    *Young adults think climate change requires a global solution...*
    *Right-leaning, domestically focused young people often stress
    energy independence...**
    *
    *Overall, internationally oriented young adults prefer a
    diversification of energy sources...*
    *Internationally oriented young adults want their countries to be
    leaders in diplomacy and mediation...**
    *
    *Internationally oriented young adults see organizations as a way to
    increase their country’s power and security...*
    *Right-leaning young people particularly value security-focused
    organizations like NATO...*
    *Despite seeing some benefits, domestically focused young adults are
    more critical of EU...**
    *
    *Those on the left praised the UN in the abstract but argued for its
    reform...*
    *Left-leaning young adults see a global debt based on their
    country’s history...**
    *
    *Right-leaning young people want more focus on the positives of
    history...**
    *
    *For young Germans, the country’s World War II legacy leads young
    people toward international collaboration over pursuing superpower
    status...*
    *More action on climate change is seen as a key policy change for
    most young adults...**
    *
    *Young people want politicians to take clearer stands and act more
    decisively...**
    *
    *Young people desire greater transparency in their countries’ global
    affairs...*

This essay was made possible by The Pew Charitable Trusts. Pew Research
Center is a subsidiary of The Pew Charitable Trusts, its primary funder.
https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2023/03/08/how-young-adults-want-their-country-to-engage-with-the-world/

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*March 10, 2016*/
The New York Times reports:

"Justin Trudeau, the prime minister of Canada, met with President Obama
on Thursday for the first official visit by a Canadian leader in 19
years, a diplomatic honor made possible in part by new pledges of
cooperation on combating climate change.

"Mr. Obama and Mr. Trudeau announced Thursday morning new commitments to
reduce planet-warming emissions of methane, a chemical contained in
natural gas that is about 25 times as potent as carbon dioxide and that
can leak from drilling wells and pipelines."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/11/world/americas/obama-trudeau-canada-climate-change.html?mwrsm=Email

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli