[✔️] March 11, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | LA Flood traumas, Senators blast Treasury, Biden allows more drilling, Gore reminds us, Science chases the bus, Ice from space,

Sat Mar 11 06:14:46 EST 2023

/*March 11, 2023*/

/[ Weather traumas in our intensifying climate predicament - LATimes
report ]/
*‘Unrivaled’ weather pummels California*
First of a new series of atmospheric river storms brings evacuations,
flooding and at least 2 deaths

By Melissa Gomez, Jessica Garrison, Ian James, Susanne Rust and Hayley Smith

FRESNO — California’s deadly storm season turned even deadlier Friday as
the first of two atmospheric river storms descended on the state,
prompting widespread evacuation orders as it flooded creeks and rivers
and dropped warm, heavy rain atop the state’s near-record snowpack.
One person, who has not been identified, was killed when a portion of a
roof collapsed at a coffee distribution warehouse in Oakland,
authorities said. He was a worker at the facility, where at least one
other employee was injured in the collapse.
The fatality comes after a series of nine back-to-back atmospheric river
storms in January contributed to nearly two dozen deaths , including
people killed by falling trees and surging stormwater. Heavy snowpack in
recent weeks contributed to at least 13 deaths in the San Bernardino
Mountains, where many residents were trapped for days behind walls of snow.
At least two recent deaths have been confirmed as storm-related,
according to Nancy Ward, director of the California Governor’s Office of
Emergency Services.
The extreme weather has resulted in “15 shelters open in nine counties,
more than 9,400 people under evacuation orders, approximately
54,000-plus people without power, and unfortunately two deaths that have
so far been confirmed by the coroner’s office to be storm-related thus
far,” Ward said Friday...
- -
The Office of Emergency Services has readied high-water vehicles,
search-and-rescue teams, fire resources and other emergency operations
to respond to areas most vulnerable to flooding and overtopped rivers,
Ward said.
President Biden approved an emergency declaration request from Gov.
Gavin Newsom, authorizing the Department of Homeland Security and the
Federal Emergency Management Agency to support state and local responses
to the storm.
Newsom proclaimed a state of emergency in 34 counties, activating the
California National Guard and other state agencies to respond to
storm-related emergencies.
“California is deploying every tool we have to protect communities from
the relentless and deadly storms battering our state,” Newsom said.
“In these dangerous and challenging conditions, it is crucial that
Californians remain vigilant and follow all guidance from local
emergency responders.”
As Friday wore on, the “Pineapple Express” storm — which is gathering
warm, subtropical moisture from Hawaii — made landfall in several
communities from the Central Coast to the southern Sierra.
- -
“This is an unrivaled, unparalleled weather event not experienced in
several decades,” Kris Mattarochia, science and operations officer with
the National Weather Service in Hanford, said during a briefing in
Fresno. “There will be high water in areas that are usually not
impacted. So everyone needs to be ready. … Combined with snowmelt, the
Kings River, along with smaller streams like Mill Creek, will be pushed
to limits which are unimaginable.”
More than a dozen locations along the state’s river systems were surging
above flood stage, including portions of the Eel, Russian, Salinas,
Carmel, Sacramento, Merced and Cosumnes rivers and Bear Creek, according
to the National Weather Service.
Nearly 30 more were above “monitor stage,” indicating the potential for
overtopping and flooding in low-lying areas. Major flash flooding was
reported in the Tulare County area of Springville — where officials
conducted dozens of water rescues Friday morning — and in Kernville,
where the roaring Kern River surrounded some houses and mobile homes ,
spurring an evacuation order ...
- -
“After a while, you’ve just got to laugh, otherwise you’re just gonna
have horrible mental health,” said Cindi Busenhart, a resident of Soquel
who was nearly stranded after a portion of the road near Bates Creek
collapsed.
Save for a small wooden footbridge, Busenhart and all of her neighbors
are for the most part stuck — unable to drive in or out, depending on
friends and relatives on the other side to help with transporting
people, food and goods.
“I don’t know how long it’s gonna take before they can actually, like,
fix it. … I mean, the creek is just raging,” she said. “It didn’t take a
little bit of a road out. It took a massive amount of the road out. ...
There’s no way out.”...
Times staff writer Grace Toohey contributed to this report from Lake
Arrowhead. Gomez reported from Fresno, Garrison from Sacramento, James
from San Luis Obispo, Rust from Palo Alto and Smith from Los Angeles.
http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/article_share.aspx?guid=37c2e048-db3d-4c68-9a59-f615b668b188

/[ Reuters ]/
*US senators blast Treasury's 'lack of progress' on climate risks*
By Andrea Shalal
WASHINGTON, March 9 (Reuters) - Three U.S. senators blasted the Treasury
Department on Thursday for what they called its failure to act more
swiftly on countering climate risks, and they urged Secretary Janet
Yellen to appoint a new climate counselor to lead the effort.

In a letter to Yellen viewed by Reuters, Democratic Senators Elizabeth
Warren, Sheldon Whitehouse and Edward Markey criticized the work done by
John Morton, Yellen's first climate counselor. Morton stepped down in
December and returned to the private sector....
The senators said nearly two years had passed since Treasury created a
"Climate Hub" and named Morton to coordinate its strategies, but the
results have been disappointing.

Yellen has not yet named a replacement for Morton, although Treasury has
dozens of people working on climate-related issues, including some in
key senior positions...
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-senators-blast-treasurys-failure-move-faster-climate-risks-2023-03-10/

/[  Time to stop drilling ]/
*Biden Officials Back Alaska Oil Project Scorned as Carbon Bomb*
-- Willow poses most consequential climate test yet for Biden
-- Activists say ConocoPhillips project risks climate peril/
/https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-10/biden-officials-back-alaska-oil-project-called-carbon-bomb/
/

/ - -
/

/[  words from our Reminder-in-Chief  ]/
*Al Gore warns it would be ‘recklessly irresponsible’ to allow Alaska
oil drilling plan*
Ex-vice-president says new projects ‘are a recipe for climate chaos’
ahead of Biden administration’s decision on Willow development
Oliver Milman
@olliemilman
Fri 10 Mar 2023
Al Gore has warned it would be “recklessly irresponsible” to allow an
enormous, controversial oil drilling project to proceed in Alaska,
speaking ahead of a decision from the Biden administration on whether to
approve it. Gore spoke amid growing alarm among Democrats and
campaigners that the Willow development will drastically undermine the
US’s effort to confront the climate crisis...
- -
The International Energy Agency has said no new fossil fuel
infrastructure can be built if the world is to avoid disastrous climate
change and two dozen Democrats in Congress have written to Biden warning
that Willow poses “a significant threat to US progress on climate
issues”. The lawmakers called upon the president to “stop this
ill-conceived and misguided project”.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/mar/10/al-gore-biden-alaska-oil-drilling-willow-development

/[  "Science is chasing a bus that is out of control" -  interview
YouTube video  34 min ]/
*“Mass extinction is already underway” - Peter Frankopan on how humans
have shaped the earth*
Channel 4 News
  Mar 10, 2023
“We're the only species who have worked out to blow up everything and
kill everyone”. In his latest book, The Earth Transformed, Peter
Frankopan takes on the entirety of the history of planet earth, and
looks at how our lives have been shaped by environmental changes since
the dawn of our planet, 4.5 billion years ago, until the present day. He
tackles the transformation of the earth, teasing apart the connection
between humans and climate, explaining how “we are the product of
massive climate change in the past”, and looks ahead to crises anew.

(Subscribe: https://bit.ly/C4_News_Subscribe)

In this episode of Ways to Change the World, Peter Frankopan sits down
with Krishnan Guru-Murthy to discuss how humans have impacted the world,
the existential threat posed by nuclear war and global superpowers, and
what happens “when the music stops”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m25r4PxYZcg

/[ tech innovation collects data on how giant ice sheets rise and fall
with tides ]/
*Detecting tidal grounding of ice shelves from space*
AGU
Mar 10, 2023
In a new paper in AGU's JGR Earth Surface, researcher report they have
developed a way to detect the temporary grounding of an ice shelf in
Antarctica using synthetic-aperture radar observations from the
4-satellite COSMO-Sky-Med system. The grounding is caused by tides, and
plays an important role in how the ice shelf flows by buttressing the
ice shelf and slowing its seaward movement. The researchers predict that
long-term ocean warming and ice-shelf thinning will make this kind of
grounding less common and reduce the buttressing effect.

Source:
Inferring Tide-Induced Ephemeral Grounding in an Ice-Shelf-Stream
System: Rutford Ice Stream, West Antarctica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3xfA2YaDr0

- -

/[ How it's done in Antarctica ]/
*Inferring Tide-Induced Ephemeral Grounding in an Ice-Shelf-Stream
System: Rutford Ice Stream, West Antarctica*
Minyan Zhong, Mark Simons, Brent Minchew, Lijun Zhu
First published: 27 January 2023 https://doi.org/10.1029/2022JF006789

    Abstract
    Antarctic ice shelves play a key role in regulating the rate of ice
    flow in tributary ice streams. Temporal variations in the associated
    ice-shelf buttressing stress are observed to impact ice flow in
    glaciers and ice streams. Ephemeral grounding induced by tides is an
    important mechanism for modulating the buttressing stress. Here, we
    develop an approach to inferring variations in 3-D surface
    displacements at an ice-shelf-stream system that explicitly accounts
    for ephemeral grounding. Using a temporally dense nine-month-long
    synthetic-aperture radar image acquisition campaign collected over
    Rutford Ice Stream, West Antarctica, by the 4-satellite COSMO-SkyMed
    constellation, we infer the ephemeral grounding zones and the
    spatiotemporal variation of the fortnightly ice-flow variability. We
    find ephemeral grounding zones along the western ice-shelf margin as
    well as a few prominent ephemeral grounding points in the central
    trunk and in the vicinity of the grounding zone. Our observations
    provide evidence for tide-modulated buttressing stress and the
    temporally asymmetric response of ice-shelf flow to tidal forcing.
    Long-term oceanic warming and ice-shelf thinning will cause the loss
    of ephemeral grounding and decrease in ice-shelf buttressing stress.

Key Points

    - - We develop an approach to inferring tide-induced ephemeral
    grounding of ice shelves from synthetic-aperture radar observations

    - - Ephemeral grounding plays a key role in the asymmetric response
    of ice-shelf flows to tidal forcing

    - - Long-term oceanic warming and ice-shelf thinning will cause the
    loss of ephemeral grounding and reduction in ice-shelf buttressing
    stress

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1029/2022JF006789

/[ How cryo-scientists relax ]/
*Party Ice in Kangerlussuaq*
greenmanbucket
Mar 10, 2023
Celebrating successful field sampling at the Kangerlussuaq International
Science Center, July 2013 - Dark Snow Project
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nn_vxhTzeM

/[ Beckwith reviews Hagens ]/
*Can Ecological Economics let us Survive and Reset: Adjusting to Abrupt
Climate System Change**
*Paul Beckwith
Mar 10, 2023
A few years ago Nate Hagens wrote a brilliant peer reviewed scientific
paper in the journal “Ecological Economics” titled: “Economics for the
Future: Beyond the SuperOrgasm” (sic Organism)

I chat about the crucial messages of this paper, which are that energy
constraints will soon result in a collapse of our present way of life.
Orthodox economics does not consider energy constraints, and our
Superorganism society is on its last legs as we create more and more
credit (this debt) to extract dwindling fossil fuels.

One barrel of oil contains 1700 kW hr of energy. Human power can
generate 0.6 kW hr with a days work. Thus, 11 years of human labour is
replaced by one barrel of oil. Thus, our fossil fuels powering society
do the equivalent work of an imaginary workforce of 500 billion people;
meanwhile the globe has about 4 billion workers. Clearly, things will
scale back enormously without fossil fuels. That’s the physics, folks.

Of course burning fossil fuels releases carbon which has changed the
chemistry of our atmosphere and oceans, and we are cracking up.

We are addicted to the present.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUlY_qa9Npw

/[The news archive - looking back at how we recognize stupidity ]/
/*March 11, 2009*/
March 11, 2009: MSNBC's Keith Olbermann rips Paul Dellegatto,
meteorologist for Tampa, Florida Fox affiliate WTVT, for failing to
forecast the facts about human-caused climate change:

    "[I]n the middle of a forecast [Dellegatto] declared global warming
    was no longer a threat. [Dellegatto stated,] 'Athens, Georgia, just
    about a week ago, and they had up to half a foot of snow.  Las Vegas
    got snow.  It actually snowed in New Orleans this winter.'
    Dellegatto went on to say the current warming trend peaked in 1998
    and, quote, 'I just think the whole global warming doomsayer theory
    is tough to see, based on recent calculations.'

    "Once again, this is science‘s fault.  Never should have used the
    phrase 'global warming.'  'Weather disaster' would have worked.  The
    mistake was they thought even the dimmer folks would realize during
    global warming, it could get colder from time to time, especially in
    the places where it‘s not supposed to, like Tampa last month, when
    it got down to 28 here.  This guy missed it, obviously because he
    was more worried about putting in global warming denial propaganda
    into the local freaking weather forecast on the local freaking Fox
    station!"

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/countdown/29645384#29645384 - /Sorry, NBC
seems to have pulled this from their archive, or perhaps Dellegatto is
trying to restore his reputation./

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli