[✔️] March 14, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Drilling breaks a promise, McKibben, electric grid and batteries, radical actions.

R.Pauli Richard at CredoandScreed.com
Tue Mar 14 08:43:17 EDT 2023

/*March 14, 2023*/

/[  NYTimes ]/
*Biden Administration Approves Huge Alaska Oil Project*
The administration also announced new limits on Arctic drilling in an
apparent effort to temper criticism over the $8 billion Willow oil
project, which has faced sharp opposition...
- -
Oil industry officials criticized the planned Arctic protections.

“In the current energy crisis, the Biden administration should be
focused on strengthening U.S. energy security and standing with the
working families of Alaska by supporting the responsible development of
federal lands and waters — not acting to restrict it,” said Frank
Macchiarola, senior vice president of policy at the American Petroleum
Institute, a trade organization.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/12/climate/biden-willow-arctic-drilling-restrictions.html

- -

/[ McKibben slams Biden ]/
*A Run on the Planet*
There's more ways than one for a bank to fail
Bill McKibben
Mar 13
- -
To give just the most timely example, Conoco Phillips, which has
received $10 billion from those four banks since the Paris climate
accords were signed, won federal approval today for a vast new oil
complex in the Alaska wilderness. This was a savage mistake by the Biden
administration, which hopes for a small political boost as it mulls a
re-election bid. But it was also a mistake by the banks, though they win
a not-insubstantial profit on such loans.

That’s because the very slightly longer-term cost is enormous. For
Biden, he’s diminished dramatically his standing as a climate champion,
because the Willow project will pour carbon into the air for many
decades to come.  Here’s Ellen Montgomery of Environment America:

The Willow Project would extract 500 million barrels of petroleum and
release annual emissions equivalent of 76 new coal fired power plants
operating in a single year.

And the banks? Well, they further undermine the planet’s environment,
upon which all else depends. Including the economy—which is a subset of
the earth, and not the other way around.
https://billmckibben.substack.com/p/a-run-on-the-planet

- -

/[ Biden broke a serious promise - video report and clear record  ]/
*Climate & Indigenous Activists Decry Reports Biden Will Approve Willow
Oil Drilling Arctic Project*
Democracy Now!
Mar 13, 2023  Latest Shows
The Biden administration is reportedly set to approve a massive oil and
gas development in Alaska known as the Willow project, despite
widespread opposition from environmental and conservation groups that
argue Willow will amount to a carbon bomb. The administration also
announced Sunday it will ban future oil and gas leasing for 3 million
acres of federal waters in the Arctic Ocean and will limit drilling in a
further 13 million acres in the National Petroleum Reserve in Alaska’s
North Slope. For more, we speak with Siqiñiq Maupin, executive director
of Sovereign Iñupiat for a Living Arctic, who says Willow would
undermine Biden’s larger climate goals. “This project would emit so much
carbon, it would actually double the amount that Biden had promised he
would reduce,” they say.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VonJfBgHUSA

/- -/

/[ and not very smart  ]/
*Drilling for Alaskan Oil May Be Good Politics, But It Still Ends Badly
for Everyone*
The ocean, the storms, the droughts—none of that cares about your
political prowess.
By Charles P. Pierce
MAR 13, 2023

It is axiomatic here at the shebeen that the ocean doesn't give a damn
who wins the political debate over whether the climate crisis exists or
what steps should be taken to mitigate it. The ocean doesn't give a damn
about rich or poor. It will find a luxury beach house as tasty as a
fishing shack.

A decade or so ago, I spent a week in Shishmaref, the barrier island in
Alaska that is slowly being eroded into an inlet or bay in the Chukchi
Sea. There are famous pictures of buildings there that are hanging over
the edge of cliffs that were not cliffs 50 years ago.
The ocean doesn't give a damn, and that village of indigenous
subsistence hunters are finding it difficult to…well, subsist amid what
the climate crisis is doing to them. In that, there is no difference in
the fishing shacks of Shishmaref and the luxurious vacation homes along
Cape Hatteras. The ocean doesn't care. From the Washington Post:

    Wave after wave, the ocean had clawed away at the beach until the
    stilted homes finally gave way. The collapses spread debris — and
    anxiety — for more than a dozen miles along the Cape Hatteras
    National Seashore. A video that captured one house surrendering to
    the surf in May went viral, bringing national attention to the
    urgency of the problem along this scenic stretch of coast[...]At
    least a dozen more houses in Rodanthe remain in serious danger of
    falling into the ocean. Faced with shrinking options, numerous
    homeowners are scrambling to move their homes — at a cost of
    hundreds of thousands of dollars — further from the tides that seem
    to creep ever closer. They have filed permits, lined up contractors
    and teamed up with neighbors, all in a bid to buy more time from the
    encroaching sea.

Good luck with that. The beach in Shishmaref is littered with the
wreckage of generations of failed seawalls, like military equipment
abandoned in the field by a retreating army. The pictures that accompany
the Post story look exactly like the famous pictures from Shishmaref,
except the imperiled houses are bigger and fancier. The ocean doesn't care.

There is one reason—and one reason alone—why all this is occurring: our
continued reliance on fossil fuels. Which is why the president's latest
energy tradeoff bill seems so predictably awful. From The New York Times:

    The Biden administration gave formal approval Monday for a huge oil
    drilling project in Alaska known as Willow, despite widespread
    opposition because of its likely environmental and climate impacts.
    The president is also expected to announce sweeping restrictions on
    offshore oil leasing in the Arctic Ocean and across Alaska’s North
    Slope in an apparent effort to temper criticism over the Willow
    decision and, as one administration official put it, to form a
    “firewall” to limit future oil leases in the region. The Interior
    Department said it would issue new rules to block oil and gas leases
    on more than 13 million of the 23 million acres that form the
    National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska.

I'm sure this is a shrewd political maneuver, and more than a few folks
in the White House Office of Political Affairs have earned their pay
this week. The problem is that the magnitude of the crisis makes
political skill completely irrelevant. I increasingly wonder if our
political system can handle what's coming. Because the ocean doesn't care.
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a43298261/biden-alaska-drilling-climate-change/

//
/[  Just have a think - tech commentary  12 min video ] /
*Can the electric grid ruin your EV battery?*
Just Have a Think
32,356 views  Mar 12, 2023
Electric vehicles are apparently on the cusp of an exponential growth
curve that will see hundreds of millions of them on our roads by
mid-century. But how will our electricity grids cope? Will EVs cause
regular meltdowns? Will the constant sharing of electrons wreck your
very expensive battery? Or, could they actually be a beneficial addition?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMeIWGTIXsg

/[ Radical action - and property violence - and the language of politics ]/
*What It Really Takes To Save the Planet*
Our Changing Climate
40,557 views  Mar 10, 2023  #globalwarming #climatechange #protest
Compare news coverage and spot bias by downloading the free Ground News
app at https://ground.news/occ
Watch next month's OCC video right now by signing up for Nebula using my
link (and get 40% off): https://nebula.tv/videos/occ-why-im-h...

In this Our Changing Climate climate change video essay, I look at what
it really takes to save the planet. Specifically, I look at the role of
fossil fuel infrastructure sabotage in the climate movement. I weigh
whether property destruction and sabotage are useful strategies for the
broader climate action movement. The video lends some historical context
to a possible climate sabotage wing and examines the radical flank effect.

For this video, I leaned heavily on Andreas Malm's "How To Blow Up A
Pipeline": https://www.versobooks.com/books/3665...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu_mUYi9Ptk

- -

[ radical book]
*How to Blow Up a Pipeline *Paperback –
by Andreas Malm  (Author)
4.4 out of 5 stars    295 ratings
Property will cost us the earth

The science on climate change has been clear for a very long time now.
Yet despite decades of appeals, mass street protests, petition
campaigns, and peaceful demonstrations, we are still facing a booming
fossil fuel industry, rising seas, rising emission levels, and a rising
temperature. With the stakes so high, why haven't we moved beyond
peaceful protest?

In this lyrical manifesto, noted climate scholar (and saboteur of SUV
tires and coal mines) Andreas Malm makes an impassioned call for the
climate movement to escalate its tactics in the face of ecological
collapse. We need, he argues, to force fossil fuel extraction to
stop--with our actions, with our bodies, and by defusing and destroying
its tools. We need, in short, to start blowing up some oil pipelines.

Offering a counter-history of how mass popular change has occurred, from
the democratic revolutions overthrowing dictators to the movement
against apartheid and for women's suffrage, Malm argues that the
strategic acceptance of property destruction and violence has been the
only route for revolutionary change. In a braided narrative that moves
from the forests of Germany and the streets of London to the deserts of
Iraq, Malm offers us an incisive discussion of the politics and ethics
of pacifism and violence, democracy and social change, strategy and
tactics, and a movement compelled by both the heart and the mind. Here
is how we fight in a world on fire.
https://www.amazon.com/How-Blow-Pipeline-Andreas-Malm/dp/1839760257/ref=sr_1_1

- -

/[ _White Skin, Black Fuel _-- Andre Malm et al, video interviews ]/
*On the Dangers of Fossil Fascism, w Andreas Malm, Laudy van den Heuvel,
Anoushka Carter, Ash Sarkar*
housmansbookshop
Jun 7, 2021
White Skin, Black Fuel: On the Dangers of Fossil Fascism  – with Andreas
Malm, Laudy van den Heuvel and Anoushka Zoob Carter in conversation with
Ash Sarkar

What does the rise of the far right mean for the battle against climate
change?

Housmans is pleased to welcome Andreas Malm and Laudy van den Heuvel and
Anoushka Zoob Carter from the Zetkin Collective to discuss White Skin,
Black Fuel, the first study of the far right’s role in the climate crisis.

Fossil-fuelled technologies were born steeped in racism. White Skin,
Black Fuel presents an eye-opening sweep of a novel political
constellation, revealing its deep historical roots. No one loved them
more passionately than the classical fascists. Now right-wing forces
have risen to the surface, some professing to have the solution—closing
borders to save the nation as the climate breaks down.

Andreas, Laudy and Anoushka will be in conversation with Ash Sarkar,
senior editor at Novara Media.

Speakers  Andreas Malm is a scholar of human ecology, and the author of
The Progress of this Storm and of Fossil Capital, which won the Isaac
and Tamara Deutscher Memorial Prize.

Laudy van den Heuvel is a Dutch investigative journalist focusing on
conspirituality, libertarianism and health.

Anoushka Zoob Carter is a researcher based at the University of Sussex,
exploring the nexus between land, food and right-wing politics.

Laudy and Anoushka are part of the Zetkin Collective, a group of
scholars, activists and students working on the political ecology of the
far right.

Ash Sarkar is a senior editor at Novara Media, and lectures in political
theory at the Sandberg Instituut.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV4ytAGmpDE

/[The news archive - looking back at a projection learned 11 years ago]/
/*March 14, 2012*/
March 14, 2012: "NBC Nightly News" reports on the risk of rising sea
levels.

Nightly News - Rising Sea Levels Could Put Millions At Risk By 2030
3-14-2012

showmethetruth74
Mar 14, 2012

http://youtu.be/DSy2UCNwchM

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli