[✔️] March 15, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Yale tracks opinions, research reviews, climate emotions, Saudi floods, climate solutions, Oregon mandates learning, need to sue big oil

Wed Mar 15 07:22:25 EDT 2023

/*March 15, 2023*/

/[ Yale tracks American opinions ] /
*Most Americans are “Alarmed” or “Concerned” about climate change*
The increase in the number of Alarmed Americans tracks closely with the
increase in the percentage of Americans who understand that global
warming is a present-day problem that is already harming communities
across the nation. In other words, Americans are increasingly coming to
understand that climate change impacts are happening here and now.
It remains important to continue to communicate with the public about
the many harms that climate change is already causing in American
communities (e.g., health and economic impacts, damage to infrastructure
from extreme weather). Our research has shown that many Americans trust
NASA, climate scientists, TV weathercasters, their doctors, and a range
of other experts for information on global warming. Additionally, most
registered voters think schools should teach children about the causes,
consequences, and potential solutions to global warming. Educators have
key roles to play in helping Americans better understand the threats of
and solutions to climate change.

For more information on the survey methods, please visit the Global
Warming’s Six Americas, December 2022 Climate Note.
https://climatecommunication.yale.edu/about/projects/global-warmings-six-americas/
https://mailchi.mp/yale/most-americans-are-alarmed-or-concerned-about-climate-change

/[ reviews of recent research articles --   Beckwith video -
https://youtu.be/kppNw-j0lE8 ]/
*Young People Get Climate Change Danger: What’s Wrong with Everybody Else?*
Paul Beckwith
Mar 14, 2023
A recent peer reviewed paper examined climate emotions and anxiety among
young people in Canada. Young people get climate change. Nearly half of
young Canadians think that humanity is totally doomed. Many young people
do not want to have children. Society has failed young people, and they
know it.

This study surveyed 1000 young people, aged 16 to 25 years old, across
Canada. Some of the findings are as follows:

    - at least 56% reported feeling afraid, sad, anxious, and powerless

    - about 78% reported that climate change impacts their overall
    mental health

    - about 37% reported that their feelings about climate change
    negatively impact daily functioning

    - about 39% of respondents report hesitation about having children
    due to climate change

    - about 73% report thinking that the future is frightening

    - about 76% report that people have failed to take care of the planet

This survey is based upon a survey two years ago that looked at the same
thing for 1000 young people (16 to 25 years old) in each of ten
countries; namely:
- Australia
- Brazil
- Finland
-France
- India
- Nigeria
- Philippines
- Portugal
- UK
- USA
Results were similar to Canada, but countries that have been hard-hit
already from climate change were worse. For example the Philippines has
had a lot of coastal flooding from typhoons, so has much worse numbers
(47.3% hesitant to have children, 73.3% think humanity is doomed, 91.5%
think the future is frightening, etc…)

This video was hard to make…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kppNw-j0lE8

- -

/[ Research Article - - //The Journal of Climate Change and Health ]/
*Climate emotions and anxiety among young people in Canada: A national
survey and call to action*
Lindsay P. Galway , Ellen Field
*Abstract*

    *Introduction*
    Young people have a unique positionality in relation to the mental
    and emotional dimensions of climate change: they have contributed
    the least to the crisis, they are and will be disproportionately
    impacted, and they have limited opportunities and invaluable
    perspectives for influencing action. Evidence increasingly
    illustrates that young people are particularly vulnerable to climate
    distress and anxiety. Methods: The purpose of this study was to
    generate knowledge about climate emotions and climate anxiety among
    young people using a representative survey. We surveyed 1000 young
    people (aged 16–25) across Canada. The online survey asked
    respondents about: (i) climate emotions and their impacts, (ii)
    perspectives on the future due to climate change, (iii) perspectives
    and feelings about government (in)action, (iv) perspectives on
    supports, programs, and resources needed to cope with climate
    emotions and anxiety, and (v) perspectives on climate change
    education (including socio-emotional dimensions). Data were weighted
    to improve representativeness according to age, gender, and region.
    Descriptive analyses were conducted, scales were generated, and
    textual responses were analyzed using thematic analysis. Results:
    Young Canadians are experiencing a diversity of challenging climate
    emotions. At least 56% of respondents reported feeling afraid, sad,
    anxious, and powerless. 78% reported that climate change impacts
    their overall mental health and 37% reported that their feelings
    about climate change negatively impact daily functioning. Data also
    illustrate that climate change is contributing to negative
    perceptions about their future. For example, 39% of respondents
    report hesitation about having children due to climate change, 73%
    report thinking that the future is frightening, and 76% report that
    people have failed to take care of the planet. Respondents rated
    governmental responses to climate change negatively and reported
    greater feelings of betrayal than of reassurance. The data show that
    young Canadians need a diversity of coping supports and believe the
    formal education system should be doing more to support them.
    Conclusion: This study adds to the emerging and increasingly
    concerning evidence base on climate emotions and anxiety among young
    people. We conclude by summarizing key directions for future research.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2667278223000032#:~:text=Overall%2C%20the%20survey%20data%20illustrate,%2C%20and%20powerless%20(56%25).

/[ Flooding in Saudi Arabia -- disaster cam -- video ]/
*Is it heaven's wrath or nature? Flood sweeps everything away in Jizan,
Saudi Arabia*
Vulnerability
32,503 views  Mar 14, 2023  ДЖИЗАН
Natural disaster 14 March 2023. Is it heaven's wrath or nature?
Catastrophic flood sweeps everything away in Jizan, Saudi Arabia

Moderate to heavy rainfall yesterday and today in the Jizan area, with
strong winds, reduced visibility, hail, and torrential torrents.
Emergency crews in Jizan municipality began draining rainwater from
streets and squares
The head of the municipality of Al-Darb governorate, said that the
municipality sent human and field personnel from the very beginning to
ensure the safety of lives and property.

He also urged everyone to cooperate with the municipality, reporting
everything that poses a threat to the individual and society.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gai5GkIwJ1o

/[ listen to NPR report - or read the transcript ]/
*Climate solutions do exist. These 6 experts detail what they look like*
March 5, 2023
Scientists say there's a lot we can still do to slow the speed of
climate change. But when it comes to "climate solutions", some are real,
and some aren't, says Naomi Oreskes, historian of science at Harvard
University. "This space has become really muddied," she says.

So how does someone figure out what's legit? We asked six climate
scholars for the questions they ask themselves whenever they come across
something claiming to be a climate solution.

*A big climate solution is an obvious one*
It may sound basic, but one big way to address climate change is to
reduce the main human activity that caused it in the first place:
burning fossil fuels.

Scientists say that means ultimately transitioning away from oil, coal
and gas and becoming more energy efficient. We already have a lot of the
technology we need to make this transition, like solar, wind, and
batteries, Oreskes says.

"What we need to do right now is to mobilize the technologies that
already exist, that work and are cost competitive, and that essentially
means renewable energy and storage," she says.

*Think about who's selling you the solution*
It's important to think about both who's selling you the climate
solution and what they say the problem is, says Melissa Aronczyk,
professor of media at Rutgers University.

"People like to come up with solutions, but to do that, they usually
have to interpret the problem in a way that works for them," she says.

Oreskes says pay attention when you see a "climate solution" that means
increasing the use of fossil fuels. She says an example is natural gas,
which has been sold as a "bridge fuel" from coal to renewable energy.
But natural gas is still a fossil fuel, and its production, transport
and use release methane, a greenhouse gas far more potent than carbon
dioxide.

"I think we need to start by looking at what happens when the fossil
fuel industry comes up with solutions, because here is the greatest
potential for conflict of interest," Aronczyk says.

*A solution may sound promising, but is it available and scalable now?*
Sometimes you'll hear about new promising technology like carbon
removal, which vacuums carbon dioxide out of the air and stores it
underground, says David Ho, a professor of oceanography at University of
Hawaii at Manoa.

Ho researches climate solutions and he says ask yourself: is this
technology available, affordable, or scalable now?

"I think people who don't work in this space think we have all these
technologies that are ready to remove carbon dioxide from the
atmosphere, for instance. And we're not there," Ho says.

*If it's adding emissions, it's not a climate solution*
These days all kinds of companies, from airlines to wedding dress
companies, might offer to let you buy "carbon offsets" along with your
purchase. That offset money could do something like build a new wind
farm or plant trees that would - in theory - soak up and store the
equivalent carbon dioxide emissions of taking a flight or making a new
dress.

But there are often problems with regulation and verification of
offsets, says Roberto Schaeffer, a professor of energy economics at the
Federal University of Rio de Janeiro in Brazil. "It's very dangerous,
very dangerous indeed," he says.

He says with offsets from forests, it's hard to verify if the trees are
really being protected, that those trees won't get cut down or burned in
a wildfire.

"You cannot guarantee, 'Okay, you're gonna offset your dress by planting
a tree.' You have no guarantee that in three years time that tree is
gonna be there," he says.

If you make emissions thinking you're offsetting them, and the offset
doesn't work, that's doubling the emissions, says Adrienne Buller, a
climate finance researcher and director of research at Common Wealth, a
think tank in the United Kingdom, "It's sort of like doubly bad."
*
**If a solution sounds too easy, be skeptical*
Many things sold as carbon offsets - like restoring or protecting
forests - are, on their own, great climate solutions, Buller says. "We
need things like trees," she says, "To draw carbon out of the atmosphere."

The problem is when carbon markets sell the idea that you can continue
emitting as usual and everything will be fine if you just buy an offset,
Buller says. "It's kind of a solution that implies that we don't have to
do that much hard work. We can just kind of do some minor tweaks to the
way that we currently do things," she says.

Schaeffer says there is a lot of hard work in our future to get off of
fossil fuels and onto clean energy sources. "So people have to realize
there is a price to pay here. No free lunch."

*It's not all about business. Governments must play a role in solutions,
too*
We often think of businesses working on climate solutions on their own,
but that's often not the case, says Oreskes. Government often plays a
big role in funding and research support for new climate technology,
says June Sekera, a visiting scholar at The New School who studies
public policy and climate.

And governments will also have to play a big role in regulating
emissions, says Schaeffer, who has been working with the United Nations'
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change for 25 years.

That's why all the scholars NPR spoke with for this story say one big
climate solution is to vote.

Schaeffer points to the recent election in Brazil, where climate change
was a big campaign issue for candidate Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva. Lula
won, and has promised to address deforestation, a big source of Brazil's
emissions.
*
**There's no one solution to climate change - and no one can do it alone*
Aronczyk wants to make one thing clear: there is no one solution to
climate change.

"We're human beings. We encounter a problem, we wanna solve that
problem," Aronczyk says, "But just as there is no one way to describe
climate change, there's no one way to offer a solution."

Climate solutions will take different forms, Sekera says. Some solutions
may slow climate change, some may offer us ways to adapt.

The key thing, Aronczyk says, is that climate solutions will involve
governments, businesses, and individuals. She says: "It is an all hands
on deck kind of a situation."
https://www.npr.org/2023/03/05/1160783951/6-scholars-explain-what-a-real-climate-solution-is

/[ Oregon mandates school lessons on global warming ]/
*Oregon eyes mandate for climate change lessons in schools*
Oregon lawmakers are deciding whether to make the state the second in
the nation to mandate climate change curriculum from kindergarten
through 12th grade

By CLAIRE RUSH Associated Press/Report for America
March 11, 2023,
SALEM, Ore. -- Oregon lawmakers are aiming to make the state the second
in the nation to mandate climate change lessons for K-12 public school
students, further fueling U.S. culture wars in education.

Dozens of Oregon high schoolers submitted support of the bill, saying
they care about climate change deeply. Some teachers and parents say
teaching climate change could help the next generation better confront
it, but others want schools to focus on reading, writing and math after
test scores plummeted post-pandemic.

Schools across the U.S. have found themselves at the center of a
politically charged battle over curriculum and how matters such as
gender, sex education and race should be taught — or whether they should
be taught at all.

One of the bill's chief sponsors, Democratic Sen. James Manning, said
even elementary students have told him climate change is important to them.

“We're talking about third and fourth graders having a vision to
understand how this world is changing rapidly," he said at a Thursday
state Capitol hearing in Salem.

Connecticut has the only U.S. state law requiring climate change
instruction, and it's possibly the first time such a bill has been
introduced in Oregon, according to legislative researchers. Lawmakers in
California and New York are considering similar bills.

Manning's bill requires every Oregon school district to develop climate
change curriculum within three years, addressing ecological, societal,
cultural, political and mental health aspects of climate change.

It's unclear how Oregon would enforce the law. Manning told The
Associated Press that he is going to scrap an unpopular proposal for
financial penalties against districts that don't comply, but didn't say
whether another plan was coming.

For now, the bill doesn't say how many hours of instruction are needed
for the state’s education department to approve a district's curriculum.

Most states have learning standards — largely set by state education
boards — that include climate change, although their extent varies by
state. Twenty states and Washington, D.C., have specifically adopted
what are known as the Next Generation Science Standards, which call for
middle schoolers to learn about climate science and high schoolers to
receive lessons on how human activity affects the climate...
- -
New Jersey’s education standards are believed to be the most
wide-ranging. For the first time this school year, climate change is not
just part of science instruction, but all subjects, like art, English
and even PE.

Several teens testified at the state Capitol in favor of the bill. No
students have submitted opposition testimony.

“In 100 years are we going to have to teach our children what trees are
because there aren't any left? It's a thought that horrifies me,” said
high school sophomore Gabriel Burke. “My generation needs to learn about
climate change from a young age for our survival.”

Some teachers testified in support of the bill. But others say they're
already struggling to address pandemic learning losses. Adding climate
change on top of reading, writing, math, science and social studies is
“a heavy lift that will end up coming down on the backs of teachers,"
said Kyler Pace, a grade school teacher in Sherwood, Oregon.

Recent surveys conducted by Columbia University’s Teachers College and
the Yale Program on Climate Communication suggest that a majority of
Americans think that climate change and global warming should be taught
in school. But climate change is still seen by some as a politically
divisive issue, and Pace said that mandating its instruction could
inject more tension into schools.

Nicole De Graff, a self-described parents' rights advocate and former
GOP legislative candidate, testified that her children, ages 9, 15, and
16, are “done being overwhelmed with things that are fear-based, like
COVID.”

In Pennington, New Jersey, wellness teacher Suzanne Horsley aims for
age-appropriate lessons on what can be a daunting topic. In her K-2
physical education classes at Toll Gate Grammar School, she plays a game
with pretend trees, using bean bags representing carbon to show students
that fewer trees leads to higher levels of atmospheric carbon.

In Horsley's lesson plan for teens, students learn how climate change
disproportionately impacts low-income communities. They look at air
quality maps in areas with higher industrial activity or car traffic.

There is a push for students to feel as though they have some ability to
influence their world, Horsley said. "Whether it's conserving water or
finding ways to plant more trees or take care of the trees that already
exist ... they want to feel empowered.”
https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/oregon-eyes-mandate-climate-change-lessons-schools-97790489

/[ rising notion --  "On a moral level - unforgivable to the world" -
Planet Critical - video interview ]/
*How To Sue Big Oil | Benjamin Franta*
Planet: Critical
Feb 8, 2023  #politicalcrisis #climatecrisis #bigoil
The fossil fuel industry deceived the public for decades about its
impact on the climate. It's time to pay up for the damage caused.

Benjamin Franta is the founder of the Climate Litigation Lab at the
University of Oxford, informing climate litigation around the world. The
lab researches how to bring—and win— lawsuits against companies,
institutions, and individuals who have aided and abetted public
deception, the suppression of information, and put the whole world in
danger by driving the climate crisis.

In the episode, Ben reveals the “fossil fuel playbook”, explaining the
industry’s long history of suppressing information about its impacts on
the climate, and twisting the arms of the powerful in order to stop
governmental action. He also discusses the lawsuits happening around the
world, the fossil fuel defence, and what we can learn from these cases
to reform the intimate relationship between corporate and political
interests.

    00:00 Teaser
    00:34 Intro
    02:57 Politics of climate change
    09:11 Climate litigation
    11:38 Fossil fuel lobbyists
    16:04 The Fossil Fuel Playbook
    21:18 Climate litigation cases and precedent
    32:55 Climate Justice
    37:01 Who to target
    42:12 Systems reforms
    45:19 Fossil fuel defence
    49:54 Platform?
    52:14 Outro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5U8uT66u0A

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*March 15, 1999*/
March 15, 1999: The paper "Northern Hemisphere Temperatures During the Past
Millennium: Inferences, Uncertainties, and Limitations," by Michael E.
Mann, Raymond S. Bradley and Malcolm K. Hughes, is published in the
journal Geophysical Research Letters. The paper features the "hockey
stick" graph that makes Mann a target of unrelenting rhetorical and
legal assaults by supporters and representatives of the fossil fuel
industry.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/holocene/public_html/shared/research/ONLINE-PREPRINTS/Millennium/mbh99.pdf

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli