[✔️] March 22, 2023- Global Warming News Digest |

Wed Mar 22 11:13:10 EDT 2023

/*March 22, 2023*/

/[ Two British commenters in a 4 min video - entertaining summary ]/
*Jonathan Pie Meets Prof Haigh | Climate Science Translated*
Climate Science Breakthrough
16,658 views  Mar 19, 2023
Notorious "news reporter" Jonathan Pie helps Professor Joanna Haigh
spell out the actual risks of climate change, pulling zero punches, and
using highly unscientifc language throughout.
climatesciencebreakthrough.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt3BK_JK3KE

/[ PBS news  ] /
*Analysis: Latest IPCC report confirms climate change is worsening, but
we have the tools to combat it*
Science Mar 21, 2023

The world is in deep trouble on climate change, but if we really put our
shoulder to the wheel we can turn things around. Loosely, that’s the
essence of a new report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
(IPCC).

The IPCC is the world’s official body for assessment of climate change.
The panel has just released its Synthesis Report, capping off seven
years of in-depth assessments on various topics...
The role of the reports’ authors and IPCC bureau members is to stay true
to the underlying science and chart a way between different governments’
preferences. It is a unique process for scientific documents...

    *UN scientists warn drastic steps needed to prevent climate change
    catastrophe*
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHSodCnXKVE

Predictably, issues of international equity and justice were among the
thorniest in the approval of the Synthesis Report. The final version of
the report frames the issue not as an irresolvable conflict, but as the
opportunity for “shifting development pathways towards sustainability”.

The vision of most governments is for all the world to attain high
standards of living, but to do so with “climate neutral” technologies,
systems and patterns of consumption. And systems must be built so
they’re robust to future climate change, including the nasty surprises
that may come.

It must be done. It can be done. By and large, we know how to do it –
and it makes economic sense to do so. In this report, the governments of
the world have acknowledged as much.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/analysis-latest-ipcc-report-confirms-climate-change-is-worsening-but-we-have-the-tools-to-combat-it

/[ excellent video exhortation from British organization "Just Stop Oil" ]/
*The Science of the Climate Emergency with Dr Aaron Thierry | Part 1:
The Science | 16 March 2023*
Just Stop Oil
17 views  Mar 21, 2023  #juststopoil #climatecrisis #globalwarming
Dr. Aaron Thierry (@ThierryAaron) received his PhD in Ecology from the
University of Sheffield. He subsequently researched the impacts of
global warming on the carbon cycle in Arctic ecosystem s at Edinburgh
University. His studies have led him to be extremely concerned about the
impacts of disruptions to our climate.
♻  Please consider donating 1 hour's wage every month:
https://juststopoil.org/donate/
🎦  Join a National Zoom Session: https://juststopoil.org/zoom
🧑🏾‍🤝‍🧑🏻  Attend a talk online or in person:
https://juststopoil.org/events/
✍🏻  Sign up to step up with us: https://juststopoil.org/sign-up/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1CXQmTO50I

- -

/[Old folks show crankyness - NYTimes ]/
*A ‘Rocking Chair Rebellion’: Seniors Call On Banks to Dump Big Oil*
Older climate activists gathered in cities around the country for a day
of action targeting banks that finance fossil fuel projects.
- -
“We can put serious pressure on their reputations, their images, their
brands, and their sense of themselves,” he said. “Right now, the most
powerful people in the world are deeply complicit in the gravest crisis
that the world has ever experienced. So part of today is an attempt to
rouse these guys to some kind of sense of their place in history.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/21/climate/climate-change-protests-oil-banks.html

/[ feel good optimism ]/
*Recycling Solar Panels is Reality Today*
greenmanbucket
Mar 21, 2023
Video from Solar Ranch
https://vimeo.com/799281076
I derive no income from this channel but seek to spread reliable
information about solar and clean energy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXNVqPqKhdg

/[ The Guardian declares ]/
*Scientists deliver ‘final warning’ on climate crisis: act now or it’s
too late*
IPCC report says only swift and drastic action can avert irrevocable
damage to world
Fiona Harvey Environment editor
Mon 20 Mar 2023
Scientists have delivered a “final warning” on the climate crisis, as
rising greenhouse gas emissions push the world to the brink of
irrevocable damage that only swift and drastic action can avert.

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), made up of the
world’s leading climate scientists, set out the final part of its
mammoth sixth assessment report on Monday.

The comprehensive review of human knowledge of the climate crisis took
hundreds of scientists eight years to compile and runs to thousands of
pages, but boiled down to one message: act now, or it will be too late.

The UN secretary general, António Guterres, said: “This report is a
clarion call to massively fast-track climate efforts by every country
and every sector and on every timeframe. Our world needs climate action
on all fronts: everything, everywhere, all at once.”

In sober language, the IPCC set out the devastation that has already
been inflicted on swathes of the world. Extreme weather caused by
climate breakdown has led to increased deaths from intensifying
heatwaves in all regions, millions of lives and homes destroyed in
droughts and floods, millions of people facing hunger, and “increasingly
irreversible losses” in vital ecosystems.

Monday’s final instalment, called the synthesis report, is almost
certain to be the last such assessment while the world still has a
chance of limiting global temperature rises to 1.5C above pre-industrial
levels, the threshold beyond which our damage to the climate will
rapidly become irreversible...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/mar/20/ipcc-climate-crisis-report-delivers-final-warning-on-15c

/[ Untended sorrows of our lifetimes ]/
*EP7. Francis Weller Interview*
As Temperatures Rise
7,742 views  May 9, 2021
Francis Weller is a psychotherapist, writer and soul activist. He is a
master of  synthesizing diverse streams of thought from psychology,
anthropology,  mythology, alchemy, indigenous cultures and poetic
traditions. Author of  The Wild Edge of Sorrow: Rituals of Renewal and
the Sacred Work of Grief. He has introduced the healing work of ritual
to thousands of people. He founded and directs WisdomBridge,  an
organization that offers educational programs that seek to integrate
the wisdom from indigenous cultures with the insights and knowledge
gathered from western poetic, psychological and spiritual traditions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jw4fNjvGBQ

- -

/[   Discussion channel  - YouTube   ]/
*As Temperatures Rise*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jw4fNjvGBQ

/[ For many, every moment is critical ]/
*Earth to Hit Critical Warming Threshold by Early 2030s, Climate Panel Says*
A new U.N. report says it is still possible to hold global warming to
relatively safe levels, but doing so will require global cooperation,
billions of dollars and big changes.
By Brad Plumer
March 20, 2023
Earth is likely to cross a critical threshold for global warming within
the next decade, and nations will need to make an immediate and drastic
shift away from fossil fuels to prevent the planet from overheating
dangerously beyond that level, according to a major new report released
on Monday.
- -
There is still one last chance to shift course, the new report says. But
it would require industrialized nations to join together immediately to
slash greenhouse gases roughly in half by 2030 and then stop adding
carbon dioxide to the atmosphere altogether by the early 2050s. If those
two steps were taken, the world would have about a 50 percent chance of
limiting warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius.

A report from last week’s CERAWeek, an annual energy conference in
HoustonHuge profits and higher demand have empowered the industry.
Here’s what that might mean.
Delays of even a few years would most likely make that goal
unattainable, guaranteeing a hotter, more perilous future.

“The pace and scale of what has been done so far and current plans are
insufficient to tackle climate change,” said Hoesung Lee, the chair of
the climate panel. “We are walking when we should be sprinting.”
- -
The new report is expected to inform the next round of United Nations
climate talks this December in Dubai, where world leaders will gather to
assess their progress in tackling global warming. At last year’s climate
talks in Sharm el Sheik, language calling for an end to fossil fuels was
struck from the final agreement after pressure from several
oil-producing nations.

“Without a radical shift away from fossil fuels over the next few years,
the world is certain to blow past the 1.5 C goal.” said Ani Dasgupta,
president of the World Resources Institute, an environmental group. “The
I.P.C.C. makes plain that continuing to build new unabated fossil fuel
power plants would seal that fate,” he added, using the abbreviation for
the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

The American Petroleum Institute, an industry trade group, responded by
saying that oil and gas companies were working on technologies to curb
emissions such as carbon capture, but that policymakers “must also
consider the importance of adequate, affordable and reliable energy to
meet growing global needs,” said Christina Noel, a spokesperson for the
institute.

While the next decade is almost certain to be hotter, scientists said
the main takeaway from the report should be that nations still have
enormous influence over the climate for the rest of the century.

The report “is quite clear that whatever future we end up with is within
our control,” said Piers Forster, a climate scientist at the University
of Leeds who helped write one of the panel’s earlier reports. “It is up
to humanity,” he added, “to determine what we end up with.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/20/climate/global-warming-ipcc-earth.html

/[ Follow the money cause the money follows reality  ]/
*Biden Warns That Climate Change Could Upend Federal Spending Programs*
A chapter in the new Economic Report of the President focuses on the
growing risks to people and businesses from rising temperatures, and the
government’s role in adapting to them.

The White House Council of Economic Advisers will also warn that, left
unchanged, federal policies like fighting forest fires and subsidizing
crop insurance for farmers could continue to encourage Americans to live
and work in areas at high risk of damage from warming temperatures and
extreme weather — effectively forcing taxpayers across the country to
pay for increasingly costly choices by people and businesses.

The findings are contained in a chapter of the annual Economic Report of
the President, which is set to be released on Monday afternoon and this
year focuses on long-run challenges to the U.S. economy. They come on a
day when the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a body of
experts convened by the United Nations, reported that Earth is barreling
quickly toward a level of warming that will make it significantly more
difficult for humans to manage drought, heat waves and other
climate-related disasters...-
Perhaps most sobering for Washington’s current fiscal moment — when Mr.
Biden is battling with House Republicans who are seeking sharp cuts to
federal spending and raising anew concerns over the growing national
debt — is the report’s suggestion that climate effects could subject
growing numbers of Americans to heat stroke, respiratory illnesses and
other ailments in the years to come. That could further drive up
government costs for health programs like Medicare and Medicaid.

The Council of Economic Advisers has begun a yearslong effort to project
those climate-related effects on future federal budgets, which it
detailed in a highly technical paper released this month.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/20/us/politics/climate-change-federal-spending.html

/[The news archive - looking back at a strong opinion seven years ago ]/
/*March 22, 2016*/
March 22, 2016:
The New York Times reports:

    "The nations of the world agreed years ago to try to limit global
    warming to a level they hoped would prove somewhat tolerable. But a
    group of leading climate scientists warned on Tuesday that
    permitting a warming of that magnitude would actually be highly
    dangerous.

    "The likely consequences would include killer storms stronger than
    any in modern times, the disintegration of large parts of the polar
    ice sheets, and a rise of the sea sufficient to begin drowning the
    world’s coastal cities before the end of this century, the
    scientists declared.

    "'We’re in danger of handing young people a situation that’s out of
    their control,' said James E. Hansen, the retired NASA climate
    scientist who led the new research. The findings were released
    Tuesday morning by a European science journal, Atmospheric Chemistry
    and Physics."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/23/science/global-warming-sea-level-carbon-dioxide-emissions.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

- -

/[ the classic Jim Hansen talk of feedbacks - YouTube video ]/
*Ice Melt, Sea Level Rise and Superstorms Video Abstract*
Climate Science, Awareness and Solutions
106,225 views  Mar 21, 2016
Sign up for Dr. James Hansen's email list to receive his latest
communications: http://bit.ly/1UzeHI1

We made a video discussing some of the main points in our “Ice Melt”
paper[1], which is about to be published in Atmos. Phys. Chem.

The main point that I want to make concerns the threat of irreparable
harm, which I feel we have not communicated well enough to people who
most need to know, the public and policymakers. I’m not sure how we can
do that better, but I comment on it at the end of this transcript.

Read the full transcript here: https://csas.earth.columbia.edu/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP-cRqCQRc8&feature=youtu.be

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli