[✔️] March 23, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Comic+Scientist

Thu Mar 23 09:26:15 EDT 2023

/*March 23, 2023*/

/[ this risk is important to understand  ]/
*Climate change could spur severe economic losses, Biden administration
says*
White House economists warned this week that rising temperatures
threaten infrastructure, insurance programs, and human health.
Zoya Teirstein, Staff Writer
Mar 22, 2023
Climate change is generating major economic problems in the United
States, the Biden administration said in an annual report published this
week. The assumptions that higher-income countries like the U.S. would
safely weather the risks associated with global warming, and that those
risks would be clear cut, have proven to be false, administration
economists wrote. A “wide array of risks” are currently impacting the
“well-being of American communities,” the White House Council of
Economic Advisers wrote in its report, particularly low-income and
minority neighborhoods.

Heat, flooding, wildfires, and diseases that spread from animals to
humans threaten public health and health care systems, the report warns.
Trillions of dollars’ worth of infrastructure like bridges, roads, and,
crucially, homes, are susceptible to flooding, posing massive problems
for America’s insurance industry and federal mortgage lenders. And the
cost of responding to disasters such as hurricanes and drought, which
have totalled hundreds of billions of dollars in some recent years, are
putting a strain on local and state governments, as well as the federal
government.

Those economic risks, and their unequal toll, require the government to
reassess how it spends public money, from the federal to the local level...
The Economic Report of the President isn’t a binding plan, nor does it
contain concrete policy proposals. Rather, it points at how the
president and his cadre of economists are thinking about the biggest
issues of the day. But the report is a significant document nonetheless
— it offers clues about the flavor of legislation President Joe Biden is
likely to try to push his party toward writing and passing over the
course of 2023 and the executive actions the president may take. And it
offers yet another stark warning about the dangerous direction in which
climate change is taking the nation. The economic report was published
on the same day as a major United Nations report that said the world is
at risk of seriously overshooting its climate targets and condemning
future generations to irreparable harm.

The report “paints a clear-eyed picture of the challenges we face and
the actions that the federal government can take if we are to grapple
with the impacts of climate change that are already unavoidable,” Rob
Moore, a senior policy analyst at the Natural Resources Defense Council,
told Grist.

Without intervention, some of the programs that make America’s economy
tick run the risk of going bankrupt. For example, the report recommends
that the government continue to reform the National Flood Insurance
Program, the flood insurance system administered by the Federal
Emergency Management Agency that for far too long subsidized new
development in flood zones and obscured the full risks to homeowners who
chose to live in those areas. The program, the report said, is “at risk
of financial insolvency.” Better flood disclosure laws would help
discourage these risky investments, but many states allow sellers to
keep buyers in the dark. The report recommends that the federal
government push states to increase transparency and climate resilience
more generally, particularly as it relates to flooding. Hundreds of
billions of dollars have begun flowing to states via the Bipartisan
Infrastructure Law that Congress passed in 2021. The report suggests
making some of that funding, and future federal funds, contingent on
states adopting climate resiliency measures and passing flood risk
disclosure laws.

Moore, from NRDC, heralded this recommendation as a necessary step in
adapting the nation to the worsening effects of climate change, but
noted that actually setting the report’s suggestions in motion would
require the government to work with a greater sense of urgency. “Now the
problem is getting the Federal Emergency Management Administration — and
the administration — to fast-track these changes,” he said.

The report also takes aim at rampant inequity in the U.S., illuminated
and exacerbated by climate change. Low-income, minority, and tribal
populations live on some of the most vulnerable real estate in the
country due to racism, redlining, and the forced migration of Native
Americans. Changing state and federal laws to account for climate risks
and the impacts of climate change on real estate, agriculture, and other
sectors will necessarily lead to price hikes across the economy. “This
could present challenges for low-income communities, for whom higher
prices are particularly burdensome,” the authors write. The report
suggests alleviating that burden by creating policies that boost income
growth and “increase access to wealth-building opportunities” for those
communities, and by sending America’s most vulnerable “lump sum
transfers” — cash.

Moore said the window of opportunity for Biden to make these changes is
coming to a close. “We’re just past the halfway point of the President’s
first term and there’s a real risk of the administration running out of
time to complete the changes that everyone knows are needed,” he said.
https://grist.org/economics/climate-change-could-spur-severe-economic-losses-biden-administration-says/

/[ Wide open sea ]/
*Marine Heat Waves Can Happen Even At The Bottom Of The Ocean, New Study
Finds*
By Jan Wesner Childs - - March 23, 2023

    At a Glance
    - - Marine heat waves can damage habitats and lead to die-offs of
    marine life.
    - - Ripple effects can impact the commercial fishing industry.
    - - Ocean warming is fueled by greenhouse gas emissions.

The new study looked at temperature extremes along continental shelves
on the bottom of the ocean. Those areas hadn't been targeted in previous
studies, but more sophisticated computer modeling is making it easier to
do so. That's important because these areas are home to habitats for
critical commercial species including lobsters, scallops, crabs and
flounder.

"There are a lot of sea critters that are either rooted to the sea
floor, or primarily live near the ocean bottom," Amaya said. "Living so
deep in the water column, they are really attuned with the temperature
conditions there, so when a heat wave happens it can really impact them."
"Corals can bleach, the metabolisms of different fishes can increase and
cause them to burn energy faster than they can eat. All of which can
lead to die-offs," Amaya said. "In 2015, the Pacific cod industry in the
Gulf of Alaska saw a 70% decline in response to a heat wave. In 2018,
there was a big decline in snow crab in the Bering Sea. These are
$100-$200 million fisheries, so it can really take an economic toll."

T​hey can also make habitats more hospitable to invasive species like
lionfish, which prey on and compete with native species.
O​ceans cover 70% of the planet. Greenhouse gases trap heat radiated
from the Earth's surface and prevent it from being disbursed into space.
As greenhouse gas emissions have risen in the past 140 years, so have
Earth's temperatures.

"The oceans take up 90% of the excess heat associated with global
warming," Amaya said. "Marine heat waves (both at the surface and at the
ocean bottom) are getting hotter as a result. It's an open science
question whether marine heat waves themselves, the actual physical
phenomenon, are becoming more frequent or intense, but they are
definitely becoming hotter and it's because of global warming."
Deeper waters warrant a deeper look.

Amaya and his fellow researchers found that bottom marine heat waves
tend to last longer than surface marine heat waves. They can occur at
the same time as surface heat waves, or come on with no signs of heating
in the waters above.

"The scary thing about bottom marine heat waves is that they can happen
without a clear surface signature," Amaya said. "That makes them really
hard to prepare for because we often don't know that one is happening
until the marine ecosystem impacts are apparent. We need better, more
widespread and more consistent observations at the bottom of the ocean
to see these things coming."
https://weather.com/news/climate/news/2023-03-22-marine-heat-wave-bottom-of-ocean

/[ Into our hands, into our communities, across our planet ]/
*Analysis: Latest IPCC report confirms climate change is worsening, but
we have the tools to combat it*
Science Mar 21, 2023
The world is in deep trouble on climate change, but if we really put our
shoulder to the wheel we can turn things around. Loosely, that’s the
essence of a new report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
(IPCC).

The IPCC is the world’s official body for assessment of climate change.
The panel has just released its Synthesis Report, capping off seven
years of in-depth assessments on various topics.
The report draws out the key insights from six previous reports, written
by hundreds of expert authors. They spanned many thousands of pages and
were informed by hundreds of thousands of comments by governments and
the scientific community.

The synthesis report confirms humans are unequivocally increasing
greenhouse gas emissions to record levels. Global temperatures are now
1.1℃ above pre-industrial levels. They’re likely to reach 1.5℃ above
pre-industrial levels in the early 2030s.
- -
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/analysis-latest-ipcc-report-confirms-climate-change-is-worsening-but-we-have-the-tools-to-combat-it
- -
https://theconversation.com/it-can-be-done-it-must-be-done-ipcc-delivers-definitive-report-on-climate-change-and-where-to-now-201763

/[ feet on the street, cash in the banks, follow the money... ]/
*Climate activists target nation's big banks, urging divestment from
fossil fuels*
March 22, 2023
WBUR
By Michael Copley, Paula Moura
Across the U.S., people protested outside major banks on Tuesday,
calling on financial institutions to shift investments away from fossil
fuel companies. In Boston, more than 200 people marched from a Chase
Bank to a Bank of America branch. A man there used a solar-powered chain
saw to cut through giant credit cards from Chase and Bank of America.

One hundred protests took place across the country, from Juneau, Alaska,
to Washington, D.C., to urge banks including JPMorgan Chase, Bank of
America and Citi to stop funding fossil fuel projects, which
significantly contribute to human-caused climate change. Third Act, a
climate activism group largely made up of retirees, organized the
nationwide events ahead of annual meetings where investors can propose
changes to corporate policies...
- -
The demonstrations happened a day after a United Nations report was
released showing that the world is on track to face catastrophic
warming. However, world leaders already have the necessary tools to
reduce greenhouse gas emissions and save lives, according to the report.
The authors of the report hope it will give guidance for political
leaders who will gather later this year for international negotiations
on how to limit emissions...
--
McKibben said the world faces a "balancing act" trying to eliminate
greenhouse gas emissions from the economy. "We're not going to be off

Citi, one of the banks where protests happened Tuesday, said in an
emailed statement that the bank "shares the goal of transitioning to a
low-carbon economy." The company pointed to efforts to invest in "clean
energy solutions through our net zero commitments and our $1 trillion
commitment to sustainable finance." Citi also stated its commitment to
its clients to "support their efforts to decarbonize their businesses."...
https://www.npr.org/2023/03/22/1165127291/climate-change-activists-target-big-banks-divest-from-fossil-fuels

/[ non-profits take the pledge ]/*
**Climate Funders Justice Pledge
*Donors of Color Network
Feb 3, 2021
The Donor of Color Network's Climate Funders Justice Pledge shifts the
center of gravity in philanthropy towards racial and economic justice,
challenging the nation’s largest climate funders to commit publicly to
greater transparency and give at least 30% of their climate funding to
the BIPOC-led powerbuilding groups nationwide who have an outsized
impact in fighting the climate crisis.
Find out more here: http://climate.donorsofcolor.org/*
*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAiJx14eQ5g*

/[ Climate.donorsofcolor.org]/*
**THE CLIMATE MOVEMENT’S BIG PROBLEM, NARRATED BY ROSARIO DAWSON. *
https://www.climate.donorsofcolor.org/
- -
/[ interconnection with BIPOC = black, indigenous, and people of color
"  ] /
*Putting more climate philanthropy toward economic and racial justice*
A conversation with Abdul Dosunmu about the Climate Funders Justice Pledge.
MAR 22, 2023
Whether it’s suffering the effects of fossil fuel pollution or fighting
back against it, black, indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) are on
the front lines of climate change.

Yet they are starved for resources. More than a billion dollars a year
goes toward climate philanthropy, but of that amount, little more than 1
percent goes to BIPOC-led environmental justice groups.

The two-year-old Climate Funders Justice Pledge, run by the Donors of
Color Network, is trying to change that. It challenges big donors to a)
be more transparent about where their grants are going, and b) within
two years of signing the pledge, raise the amount going to BIPOC-led
groups to 30 percent.

The pledge, featured in a just-released report from Morgan Stanley and
the Aspen Institute on how to increase the impact of climate
philanthropy, has already led to more than $100 million in annual
commitments to BIPOC-led groups.

I talked with Abdul Dosunmu, who runs the pledge campaign, about why
BIPOC leadership is important to the climate fight, how transparency
changes the behavior of foundations, and how to improve the relationship
between environmental justice groups and big funders.

https://www.volts.wtf/p/putting-more-climate-philanthropy?utm_source=podcast-email%2Csubstack&publication_id=193024&post_id=107936836&utm_medium=email#details

/[ Hollywood Reporter -- About "Extrapolations"  - on Apple   ]/
*The Making of Star-Studded Climate Drama ‘Extrapolations’: “I Hope
People Are Moved, Entertained and Perhaps a Little Bit Scared”*
BY BRANDE VICTORIAN
MARCH 22, 2023
The Making of Star-Studded Climate Drama ‘Extrapolations’: “I Hope
People Are Moved, Entertained and Perhaps a Little Bit Scared”
Sienna Miller, Meryl Streep, Forest Whitaker and Kit Harington are among
the international cast of Apple TV+'s ambitious limited series, which
asks what happens to humanity in the near future, when global warming
upends every aspect of our lives, including the way we love and grieve.
BY BRANDE VICTORIAN
This story is part of The Hollywood Reporter’s 2023 Sustainability Issue

When Sienna Miller arrived on the set of Extrapolations for the first
day of filming in October 2021, a Native American shaman came to bless
the grounds. There were no printed signs directing her where to go, or
stacks of paper scripts available for producers to scribble their notes
in the margins. Instead, there were clothing racks filled with thrifted
and vintage garments sustainably sourced by the costume department,
water stations for refilling nonplastic bottles, compostable plates and
utensils, and plant-based craft services. It was the greenest set the
actress says she’s ever been on.
“It was really environmentally conscious, and that was a treat,” says
Miller. “I’ve been on sets with bamboo stools, but nothing to the degree
that this was.”

That difference was intentional on the part of Scott Z. Burns, writer,
director and creator of the new Apple TV+ series, and executive
producers Dorothy Fortenberry and Media Res’ Michael Ellenberg.

“Dorothy and I, along with Media Res and Apple, felt that if we were
going to make this show, we needed to try and make it in the way that
the subject matter required of us,” says Burns.
All filming took place throughout New York City’s five boroughs,
drastically reducing the project’s carbon footprint. But the greatest
success of the production, which employed the help of Green Spark Group,
a consulting firm that trains filmmakers on how to reduce their
environmental impact during production, was simply demonstrating what’s
possible when it comes to how we engage with the Earth and with each
another.

Which is precisely the point of Extrapolations. Rather than fixate on
hypotheticals about what the planet might be like if humans continue on
our current path or depict a distant, apocalyptic-like universe, the
eight-episode drama drops viewers in near-future societies around the
world where its characters’ entire relationship to one another revolves
around the climate issues many believe we still have the luxury to
ignore. And that, in and of itself, is terrifying, says Yara Shahidi,
another member of the star-studded cast.
“I think that this series asks a question in a really helpful way, which
is, As much as you may think of it as an extreme imagining of the
future, is it really all that extreme? Is it really all that unrealistic?”
Extrapolations begins in the year 2037 with climate activists protesting
Alpha Industries, a tech company that claims economies will fail if
corporations such as theirs aren’t allowed to develop technologies that
will raise average temperatures more than 1.5°C above pre-industrial
levels — which scientists say is the cutoff to avoid climate catastrophe
— in the short term in order to remedy ecological issues in the long
term. The argument sets the stage for the theme of environment versus
enterprise that plays out in the series.

Kit Harington plays Alpha CEO Nicholas Bilton. “He’s obviously shaped
around a few different people in our consciousness right now,” says
Harington. “You could pick any one of those kinds of tech billionaires
and decide that’s who he’s based on. But really, he’s his own invention.
It’s this idea of someone who is ultra-capitalist and very motivated by
the free market and believes that they can save the world through
capitalism and all of the issues that come with it.”

It’s also during this episode that audiences are introduced to two of
the characters who’ll humanize the threat of environmental calamity:
newly appointed youth Rabbi Marshall Zucker (Daveed Diggs) and marine
biologist Rebecca Shearer (Miller).
“The fame of the cast was important because we wanted characters and
actors that the audience would immediately connect to and feel for,”
says Ellenberg. “We wanted to collapse the distance from this issue, and
with these famous actors you’re there automatically.”
Beyond depicting how climate change could upend individual lives on an
intimate level, the series also zooms out to the larger, geopolitical
landscape. Ecocide — widespread, long-term and severe destruction of the
natural environment that’s brought on by either deliberate or negligent
human action — is a concept that originated in the 1970s following the
Vietnam War. While 10 nations have domestic laws criminalizing ecocide,
only one of which — France — is a Western country, there’s currently no
international law that bans the practice in peacetime. In
Extrapolations, world leaders can no longer afford to overlook how the
devastation brought on by increasing global temperatures affects
countries in disparate ways...
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/extrapolations-kit-harington-yara-shahidi-apple-climate-drama-1235352373/

/[ Comic meets a scientist promoting April 21 demonstration - video 5
min  ]/
*Kiri Meets Bill | Climate Science Translated*
Climate Science Breakthrough
Mar 19, 2023
Comedian Kiri Pritchard-McLean helps Professor Bill McGuire spell out
the actual risks of climate change, pulling zero punches, and using
highly unscientific language throughout.
climatesciencebreakthrough.com
Follow us on Twitter @ClimateSciBreak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxLpoPKF7lw

/[The news archive - looking back at some simple reasoning ]/
/*March 23, 2006*/
March 23, 2006: In a CBSNews.com interview, "60 Minutes" correspondent
Scott Pelley explains why he doesn't cite the views of climate-change
deniers in his stories:

    "'If I do an interview with Elie Wiesel,' he asks, 'am I required as
    a journalist to find a Holocaust denier?' He says his team tried
    hard to find a respected scientist who contradicted the prevailing
    opinion in the scientific community, but there was no one out there
    who fit that description. 'This isn't about politics or
    pseudo-science or conspiracy theory blogs,' he says. 'This is about
    sound science...'There becomes a point in journalism where striving
    for balance becomes irresponsible.'"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/scott-pelley-and-catherine-herrick-on-global-warming-coverage/

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli