[✔️] March 24, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | LA tornado, First Dog cartoon, Don't look up clips, Max Wilbert, Flesh Eating bacteria, Trees a month early, Exxon Valdez 34 years ago

Fri Mar 24 10:07:21 EDT 2023

/*March 24, 2023*/

/[ I dunno,  how many more tornadoes till you think something is not
quite right? ]/
*Yes, there was just a tornado near Los Angeles. Is climate change to
blame?*
The tornado adds to the latest bout of extreme weather California is
experiencing.
By Li Zhouli  @vox.com
Mar 23, 2023,
In a rare turn of events, a town southeast of Los Angeles was hit by a
tornado on Wednesday, marking the latest extreme weather the region has
fielded in recent months.

Tornadoes aren’t unheard of in California, but they are less common
compared to other parts of the country, with fewer than 10 typically
observed in the state per year, according to the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration. Wednesday’s tornado — which affected the
town of Montebello and damaged 17 buildings — was also especially
strong, and is the most severe to affect the region in 40 years, per the
National Weather Service.

The tornado followed another weaker tornado, which touched down Tuesday
in Carpinteria, a town northwest of Los Angeles, and months of other
extreme weather in the state.

As Vox’s Benji Jones reported, California has experienced what’s known
as “weather whiplash” throughout this year, as it’s endured days of
intense rain and flooding after dealing with a severe drought. That rain
was the product of a phenomenon called “atmospheric rivers,” what Jones
describes as “narrow corridors of water in the sky,” which appear to be
happening more frequently this year and causing severe damage.

There’s likely a connection between the storms that California has
experienced and this week’s tornadoes. The atmospheric rivers and the
rain they brought probably helped lead to increased moisture in the air,
which enabled the recent tornadoes to form in the region, says Perry
Samson, a professor of atmospheric science at the University of
Michigan. “You’ve got the conditions for instability set up by these
atmospheric rivers,” Samson told Vox...
https://www.vox.com/science/2023/3/23/23653712/los-angeles-tornado-montebello-california

/[ Cartoon ]/
*This is the last ever cartoon about climate change (of course it isn’t)*
First Dog on the Moon
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/24/this-is-the-last-ever-cartoon-about-climate-change-of-course-it-isnt

/[  Assemblage of video opinion clips. 6 mins]/
*Don't Look Up except it's real life*
Regan Parenton
Mar 22, 2023
Have a cup of coffee.
We are the comet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRAS5gSj4Ss

/[ hold on to the older values -  video YouTube 48 min ]/
*Bright Green Lies, with Max Wilbert | How The Environmental Movement
Lost Its Way*
Hart Hagan
Mar 6, 2023
HART HAGAN: My guest is Max Wilbert who, along with co-authors Lierre
Keith and Derrick Jensen, wrote the book “Bright Green Lies, How the
Environmental Movement Lost Its Way and What We Can Do About It.”

    So I never fully bought into the idea that these technologies were
    going to save us.

    At best--or at worst I should say--I only thought of them as stopgap
    measures to reduce harms as we transition to a sustainable way of
    life. But what I saw begin to happen very rapidly throughout the
    last 20 years, is a transition where the environmental
    movement--which had been once focused on protecting habitat and
    defending wild places and wild creatures--has shifted almost
    entirely to focus on global warming and specifically on addressing
    global warming through technology.

    I see this as a huge problem, not because I support fossil fuels--or
    I believe global warming isn't a problem. It's the exact opposite.
    It's because I believe these are inadequate solutions to global
    warming and because I think they're ultimately destructive to the
    planet as a whole. They're counterproductive to the environmental
    movement's goals.

    But of course, they’ve become very popular--these ecological
    so-called solutions. And I think it's mainly because they're
    profitable industrial products that you can sell.

    There's a lot of money involved. That money has gotten governments
    on board. It's gotten corporations on board. It's led to a lot of
    foundation funding and big philanthropy money for nonprofits that
    promote this type of thing. That has led to the entire environmental
    movement--the entire climate movement--being focused almost with
    blinders on this one single approach.

    HART HAGAN: I bet the environmental movement has welcomed you with
    open arms and given you nothing but positive feedback. How has that
    gone?

    MAX WILBERT: It's a mixed bag because I would say that at the
    grassroots level, there are a lot of environmentalists who
    understand these issues, and who have never lost sight of the
    fundamental values of this movement, a love and reverence for the
    planet and for other beings and creatures around us. There is a real
    criticism and mistrust--justified mistrust--of technological
    solutions and especially solutions that are led by corporations and
    major international institutions.

    Those people I think understand somewhat intuitively that the
    technological solutions to global warming are a farce to  some extent.

    With that said, a lot of those people have been superficially
    convinced that that's the way forward. So in some ways it feels like
    when I talk to those people, I'm helping them to rediscover their
    own beliefs. I'm making it okay for them to say out loud what they
    really believe in their hearts, which is that this is a problem,
    this direction that we're seeing the movement go in.

    Then, on the other side, you have the more mainstream
    environmentalists and especially the mainstream climate activists,
    the institutional organizations, the large NGOs and so on. And you
    have people in government and business who are very convinced that
    this is the path forward, that technology is going to save us.

    Those people are hard to reach. And those people in my experience
    will often attack someone like me. They say that I'm a shill for the
    fossil fuel industry, that I must be getting paid by the oil
    companies to talk about these things, that I'm getting in the way of
    progress, or they will just completely ignore me and try to focus on
    the work that they're doing to promote these technologies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLh2Fe9SP94

/[ How many more cases until you're sure climate change is to blame ]/
*Flesh-eating bacteria cases could increase and occur in more places due
to climate change, study finds*
BY CAITLIN O'KANE
MARCH 23, 2023
Scientists have found that climate change may lead to an increase in
so-called flesh-eating bacteria in the waters along the East Coast of
the U.S.

The bacteria Vibrio vulnificus is usually found in warm waters with low
salinity, or salt content. While the bacteria is common in subtropical
regions, there has been an increase of infections from Vibrio in more
northern locations, such as the Delaware Bay.

This is likely due to warming coastal waters, according to the study
published in the Scientific Reports journal. An increase in temperature
affects the salinity of the water, which the bacteria favors.
Climate change, population growth and an increasingly elderly population
will contribute to the surge in these infections, the researchers say.

There are currently about 100 cases of these infections each year in the
U.S. and the Gulf Coast is considered a "global hotspot" for the
bacteria. The study looked at cases from the Gulf and Atlantic
coastlines of the U.S. over 30 years...

The researchers looked for changes in the disease's distribution and
found between 1988 and 2018, the annual amount of these infections
increased from 10 to 80, and the cases shifted north. This led the
researchers to project that by 2081 to 2100 the cases may reach areas
like New York – and they may double.

They believe in the next 20 years or so, the infections will creep up
about 11,000 km of the coastline and in the next 70 years, they could be
found more than 14,400 km up the coast, reaching as far as the St.
Lawrence River in Canada. That means by 2100, an estimated  90 million
to 210 million people will be at risk.

People over 60 are more susceptible to the infection, and with the
over-60 age group increasing, cases for that group could double by
2041–2060 or triple by 2081–2100.

Vibrio infections can be caused by eating raw or undercooked seafoods,
but Vibrio vulnificus is a form of it that infects wounds and is often
referred to "flesh-eating bacteria," according to the Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention...
  An infection can occur when a small lesion in the skin is exposed to
the bacteria in seawater. The bacteria can cause the area to die,
causing the patient to need urgent surgery to remove the tissue or risk
amputation, the study says.

While the infections are still rare, mortality rates are high – about 18
percent. Most fatalities occur within 48 hours of exposure.

Treating these infections also the most expensive marine pathogens to
treat, with the U.S. spending $ 320 million a year, according to the study.

The CDC advises people with wounds, including those from surgery,
tattoos or piercings, to stay out of saltwater or brackish water, to
cover their wounds with a waterproof bandage and to thoroughly wash
cuts, especially after contact with saltwater, brackish water or raw
seafood and its juices.

A study in 2019 found these infections had started occurring outside the
traditional geographic boundaries, and more often. In just two years,
five cases of Vibrio vulnificus had been linked to the Delaware Bay,
according to a study. One of the patients died.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/flesh-eating-bacteria-climate-change-increase-vibrio-vulnificus-study-finds-east-coast-united-states/

- -

/[ Annals of Internal Medicine //]/
*Vibrio vulnificus Infections From a Previously Nonendemic Area*
Madeline King,   Lucia Rose,  Henry Fraimow, MD,   Maria Nagori, MD,
October 2019
Author, Article, and Disclosure Information
https://doi.org/10.7326/L19-0133

    Background:Vibrio vulnificus is a gram-negative pathogen that lives
    in brackish, high-salinity waters with surface temperatures above 13
    °C. V vulnificus wound infections occur through breaks in the skin,
    and intestinal infections occur after consumption of seafood. Either
    route can lead to bloodstream infections (1). Mortality from wound
    and bloodstream infections is high, particularly in patients with
    immunosuppression and those with cirrhosis or other iron-overload
    states (2)...

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/L19-0133

/[ Published at the Yale School of the Environment ]/
*In Eastern U.S., Climate Change Has Extended Forest Growing Season by a
Month*
MARCH 22, 2023
A century of rising temperatures has extended the growing season of
hardwood forests in the eastern U.S. by one month, a new study finds.

Growing season lasts from the first budburst in spring until trees turn
gold and crimson in the fall. As spring and fall grow warmer, trees are
bearing their leaves for longer, the research shows.

For the study, scientists tracked American elm, black walnut, white oak,
and four other species in northwest Ohio, comparing their data to
records collected by an Ohio farmer at the turn of the last century. The
farmer, Thomas Mikesell, gathered information on temperature, rainfall,
and tree growth from 1883 to 1912, producing what may be the only early
20th-century record of forest growth in North America, authors said.

Winter and spring temperatures have risen by up to 5 degrees F over the
last century, and today, growing season is around 15 percent longer. The
research was published in the journal PLOS One.

The findings are an “obvious indicator that temperatures are changing
and shows that things are not the way they used to be — they are
profoundly different,” Kellen Calinger-Yoak, a biologist at The Ohio
State University and lead author of the study, said in a statement. “An
entire month of growing season extension is huge when we’re talking
about a pretty short period of time for those changes to be expressed.”
https://e360.yale.edu/digest/eastern-us-forest-growing-season-climate-change

/[The news archive - looking back - after the Titanic, this is the great
naval metaphor -- a drunken supertanker captain crashed into shoals in
Alaska - no humans killed, but devastating a pristine area of Alaska -
see the video news report ]/
/*March 24, 1989*/
March 24, 1989: The notorious Exxon Valdez oil spill takes place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znotiZ-N-oc

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli