[✔️] March 25, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Top 8 Charts tells all, Senior activism, Montana youth sue for a future, Dave Roberts, AP Stylebook, Climate politics, Thawing permafrost

Sat Mar 25 06:50:11 EDT 2023

/*March 25, 2023*/

/[  CNBC nails it -- top informative charts.. but the last one is most
important  - #8 is most important ]/
*These eight charts show why climate change matters right now*
MAR 23 2023
KEY POINTS

    - -These 8 charts, included in the latest Intergovernmental Panel on
    Climate Change’s most recent report, provide visual clarity of the
    story of climate change.

    - - Current policy implemented to reduce greenhouse gases are
    insufficient to meet the goals established in the landmark Paris
    Climate Agreement.

    - - Currently, the globe has warmed by 1.1 degrees Celsius above
    pre-industrial levels, the IPCC report says.

*1. Current action to reduce greenhouse gasses is insufficient to meet
Paris Climate Agreement goals*
https://image.cnbcfm.com/api/v1/image/107214131-1679587163651-Screen_Shot_2023-03-23_at_115807_AM.png?v=1679587499&w=1910&ffmt=webp
*2. Climate change is already having impacts on human life and well-being*
https://image.cnbcfm.com/api/v1/image/107213951-1679577935370-Screen_Shot_2023-03-22_at_15737_PM.png?v=1679578299&w=1910&ffmt=webp
*3. How climate change is addressed now will determine how future
generations are affected*
https://image.cnbcfm.com/api/v1/image/107213959-1679578423936-Screen_Shot_2023-03-22_at_15830_PM.png?v=1679579391&w=1910&ffmt=webp
*4. Climate change is not binary: Every little bit of global warming
makes things more dangerous*
https://image.cnbcfm.com/api/v1/image/107214006-1679580107293-Screen_Shot_2023-03-23_at_100052_AM.png?v=1679580259&w=1910&ffmt=webp
*5. Climate change does not impact everyone the same: People and animals
in some locations are at much greater risk than others*
https://image.cnbcfm.com/api/v1/image/107214088-1679583914437-Screen_Shot_2023-03-23_at_110236_AM.png?v=1679584203&w=1910&ffmt=webp
*6. The largest industries in the world, including energy and food
production, need to change*
https://image.cnbcfm.com/api/v1/image/107214154-1679588385864-Screen_Shot_2023-03-23_at_121311_PM.png?v=1679588574&w=1910&ffmt=webp
*7. This decade is decisive: More and more proactive climate change
mitigation and adaptation will limit damage*
https://image.cnbcfm.com/api/v1/image/107214093-1679584388703-Screen_Shot_2023-03-23_at_111142_AM.png?v=1679587134&w=1910&ffmt=webp
*8. There is a limited window to build a sustainable future*
https://image.cnbcfm.com/api/v1/image/107214148-1679588081217-Screen_Shot_2023-03-23_at_120931_PM.png?v=1679588282&w=1910&ffmt=webp

_The impacts of climate change are cumulative, and so it becomes
exponentially harder to create sustainable solutions as time goes on._

“There is a rapidly closing window of opportunity to secure a livable
and sustainable future for all,” the IPCC summary report for
policymakers says. “Continued emissions will further affect all major
climate system components, and many changes will be irreversible on
centennial to millennial time scales and become larger with increasing
global warming.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/23/these-eight-charts-show-why-climate-change-matters-right-now.html

/[ calm activism report from NYT ]/
*A ‘Rocking Chair Rebellion’: Seniors Call On Banks to Dump Big Oil*
Older climate activists gathered in cities around the country for a day
of action targeting banks that finance fossil fuel projects.
By Cara Buckley
March 21, 2023
They were parents, grandparents, great-aunts and great-uncles, ranging
in age from their 50s to their 80s and beyond, and together they braved
frigid temperatures to protest all through the night, and to rock.

Bundled in long johns, puffer coats, layered knit hats and sleeping
bags, and fortified by cookies sent by courier from a sympathetic
supporter, dozens of graying protesters sat in rocking chairs outside of
four banks in downtown Washington for 24 hours, in a nationwide protest
billed as the largest climate action ever undertaken by older folks.

Calling themselves the Rocking Chair Rebellion, they were part of more
than 100 climate actions staged across the country Tuesday by Third Act,
a protest group for people aged 60 and older, co-founded by Bill
McKibben, the author and climate campaigner.

Their targets were Chase, the subsidiary of JP Morgan Chase, Wells
Fargo, Citibank and Bank of America, the biggest investors in fossil
fuel projects, according to a 2022 report by the Rainforest Action
Network and other environmental groups. Collectively, the four banks
have poured more than $1 trillion between 2016 and 2021 into oil and gas...
“This is the world we helped create,” said Katie Ries, 66, who is
retired from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, as she
sat in a rocking chair outside the Chase branch in downtown Washington
shortly after an unseasonably cold dawn on Tuesday. “When you put this
temporary discomfort in perspective, against what we are out here for,
what we are facing, it just pales, it disappears.”

Formed in 2021, Third Act has some 50,000 members on its mailing list,
according to Mr. McKibben, including a few centenarians. While the group
has staged protests before, sometimes bearing signs that read “fossils
against fossil fuels,” they said that Tuesday’s actions were the biggest
yet, with participants driven in part by the conviction that it was
unfair to lay responsibility for fixing the climate crisis at the feet
of younger generations who will bear its brunt.

“For all their energy and intelligence and idealism, young people lack
the structural power to make change on the scale we need in the time
that we have,” said Mr. McKibben, who is 62, chatting early Tuesday
before an anti-big bank climate rally in Washington’s Franklin Park. “We
all vote, we ended up with most of the resources in our society. If
we’re going to make Washington and Wall Street change, it’ll take a few
people with hairlines like mine.”...
For the rockers, the goal was to urge people to pull their money out of
the oil-funding banks, and to goose the consciences of bank executives.
- -
  “I think anybody is complicit that is not trying to do anything,”
- -
“For the banks, this is a very worrisome signal,” he said. “They can
write off young people, they don’t see them as having a whole lot of
money right now. They know these folks do.”

For his part, Mr. McKibben conceded that closing personal accounts in
oil-funding banks was not likely to impose enough financial harm to
force change, but said that merely underscored the urgent need to do more.

“We can put serious pressure on their reputations, their images, their
brands, and their sense of themselves,” he said. “Right now, the most
powerful people in the world are deeply complicit in the gravest crisis
that the world has ever experienced. So part of today is an attempt to
rouse these guys to some kind of sense of their place in history.”

https://portside.org/2023-03-23/rocking-chair-rebellion-seniors-call-banks-dump-big-oil

/[ Youth are the recipients of our justice system ]/
*In Montana, It’s Youth vs. the State in a Landmark Climate Case*
Sixteen young Montanans have sued their state, arguing that its support
of fossil fuels violates the state Constitution.
By David Gelles
March 24, 2023
- -
In their complaint, filed in 2020, the young activists seized on
language in the Montana state Constitution that guarantees residents
“the right to a clean and healthful environment,” and stipulates that
the state and individuals are responsible for maintaining and improving
the environment “for present and future generations.”...
- -
It is a concise but untested legal challenge to a state government that
has taken a sharp turn to the right in recent years, and is aggressively
defending itself. The trial, which legal experts say is the first
involving a constitutional climate case, begins on June 12 in the state
capital of Helena.

“There have been almost no trials on climate change,” said Michael
Gerrard, director of the Sabin Center for Climate Change Law at Columbia
Law School. “This is the first that will get into the merits of climate
change and what needs to be done, and how the state may have to change
its policies.”

The origins of the case stretch back nearly a decade. In 2011, a
nonprofit called Our Children’s Trust petitioned the Montana Supreme
Court to rule that the state has a duty to address climate change. The
court declined to weigh in, effectively telling the group to start in
the lower courts...
- -
The plaintiffs joined a growing global movement of young people raising
the alarm about climate change, most famously embodied by Greta
Thunberg, the 20-year-old Swede.

But their activism has come at a social cost. “We can’t really openly
talk about this case without being flamed by our friends at school,”
said Badge, 15.

Nevertheless, many of the plaintiffs, including the Busse boys and Ms.
Sandoval, expect to testify at trial.

In its response to the lawsuit, the state disputed the overwhelming
scientific consensus that the burning of fossil fuels was driving
climate change and denied that Montana was experiencing increasingly
severe weather linked to rising temperatures.
- -
No matter who prevails, the case is likely to be appealed to the state
Supreme Court. And even if the young Montanans win on appeal, they are
not expecting immediate changes.

Rather, the plaintiffs are seeking “declaratory relief.” That is, they
want the judge to acknowledge that fossil fuels are causing pollution
and warming the planet and declare the state’s support for the industry
unconstitutional.
- -
“It could establish a lot of facts and principles that are broadly
applicable,” said Mr. Gerrard of Columbia University.

There is also a chance if the state’s energy policy is deemed
unconstitutional, Montana regulators could be forced to take climate
change into account when approving industrial projects.

“Coming to trial in June, we will have an opportunity for the plaintiffs
and our experts to testify in open court, to tell a story about what
government’s been doing and how it’s impacting Montana’s environment,”
said Nate Bellinger, the lead attorney for Our Children’s Trust on the
case. “In a courtroom, the truth still matters.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/24/climate/montana-youth-climate-lawsuit.html

/[  Dave Roberts talks about thermal storage ]/
*Why electrifying industrial heat is such a big deal*
A conversation with John O'Donnell, COE of Rondo Energy.
MAR 24. 2023
Electricity gets the bulk of the attention in clean-energy discourse
(this newsletter is, after all, called Volts) but half of global final
energy consumption comes in the form not of electricity, but of heat.
When it comes to reaching net zero emissions, heat is half the problem.

Roughly half of heat is used for space and water heating, which I have
covered on other pods. The other half — a quarter of all energy humans
use — is found in high-temperature industrial processes, everything from
manufacturing dog food to making steel or cement.

The vast bulk of industrial heat today is provided by fossil fuels,
usually natural gas or specialized forms of coal. Conventional wisdom
has had it that these sectors are “difficult to decarbonize” because
alternatives are either more expensive or nowhere to be found. Indeed,
when I covered an exhaustive report on industrial heat back in 2019, the
conclusion was that the cheapest decarbonization option was probably
CCS, capturing carbon post-combustion and burying it.

A lot has changed in the last few years. Most notably, renewable energy
has gotten extremely cheap, which makes it an attractive source of heat.
However, it is variable, while industrial processes cannot afford to
start and stop. Enter the thermal battery, a way to store clean
electricity as heat until it is needed.

A new class of battery — “rocks in a box” — stores renewable energy as
heat in a variety of different materials from sand to graphite,
delivering a steady supply to various end uses. One of the more
promising companies in this area is Rondo, which makes a battery that
stores heat in bricks.

I talked with Rondo CEO John O'Donnell about the importance of heat in
the clean-energy discussion, the technological changes that have made
thermal storage viable, and the enormous future opportunities for clean
heat and a renewables-based grid to grow together.

https://www.volts.wtf/p/why-electrifying-industrial-heat?utm_source=podcast-email%2Csubstack&publication_id=193024&post_id=88697618&utm_medium=email#details

/[ Poynter is a journalism expert ]/
*AP Stylebook expands climate change guidance, adds plus symbol to LGBTQ+*
Reporters should be skeptical of companies that say they are ‘green’ but
cannot provide details to support their claim.
By: Angela Fu
March 23, 2023
The Associated Press Stylebook has added more than 20 entries related to
climate change and revised its entry on LGBTQ+ to add the + symbol,
editor Paula Froke announced Thursday.

At a time when many newsrooms — including the AP — are investing in
climate coverage, the Stylebook is expanding its guidance on the issue.
The new entries, which Froke revealed at the annual ACES: The Society
for Editing conference, include the terms carbon dioxide,
desertification, fossil fuels and greenwashing.

The section advises reporters to be specific in their reporting. They
should describe which gas is being emitted when discussing polluting
activities, for example, and avoid using the term weather event when
referencing a certain flood, hurricane, landslide, etc. Journalists
should also specify which goals they are referring to when they write
about how a policy will affect climate goals.

An entry on carbon footprint notes that companies claiming that they
have reduced emissions should be able to provide year-to-year
comparisons. Reporters should be skeptical of unsubstantiated claims.

“Organizers of a sporting event may say the event is ‘environmentally
friendly’ or ‘green,’” the entry reads. “But if they can’t give details
about the event’s carbon footprint, be skeptical of the claim.”...
https://www.poynter.org/reporting-editing/2023/ap-stylebook-update-2023-climate-change-lgbtq-plus/

/[ Big opinion ---  from Jacobin  ]/
*Only a Mass Working-Class Climate Politics Can Free Us From the Climate
Doom Cycle*
BY MATT HUBER
The latest UN climate report was just released, and it’s brought the
usual doom loop of grave headlines as emissions keep rising. The way out
isn’t getting people to “believe the science” but building a pro-worker
climate politics that can win power.

On Monday, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change released its
“synthesis” report summarizing the findings of its sixth assessment (the
last occurred in 2014). The findings are painfully familiar: the world
is falling far short of its emission goals, and without rapid reductions
this decade, the planet is likely to shoot to beyond 1.5 or even 2
degrees Celsius of warming this century (we are at 1.1 degrees now).

We seem to be stuck in a doom-loop news cycle where scientific reports
create headlines, and earnest climate commentators insist the new report
represents a true “wake-up call” for action, and then . . . emission
keep rising. They hit a record once again in 2022.

The world of climate politics appears to exist in two completely
different worlds. There is a largely liberal and idealist world of
climate technocrats where science informs policy, and there is the real,
material capitalist world of power.

In the liberal world, the base assumption is that if we can communicate
the science better — or as one former Extinction Rebellion spokesperson
argues, if we can try “to tell and hear and live in truth” — our
political systems will respond with action. As the science becomes more
terrifying, the moral righteousness of this approach only seems more
vindicated with each new report.

Another crucial aspect of this liberal worldview is to map out and model
precise pathways to decarbonization. You probably heard the Inflation
Reduction Act is projected to spur a 40 percent reduction in greenhouse
gas emissions by 2030; what you don’t hear is that, according to the
same models, doing nothing gets us 24 to 35 percent. As emissions keep
rising, the models become more fantastical in terms of what is required,
but they still give an army of climate technocrats the ammunition to
supply the policy commentariat with a message that following the science
is still possible — if we simply start right away.

The other world is very different: it is a world of capitalist and state
power. In this world, the market says fossil fuels are as profitable as
ever. ExxonMobil announced record profits in October and then again in
January. Even before the Russian invasion of Ukraine, the coal industry
— the worst of the fossil fuels — was posting windfall profits. The
Financial Times recently reported on hedge funds making absurd 43
percent returns betting on coal. One hedge funder bluntly remarked,
“It’s almost immoral not to invest in coal because of the reliance [by
so many countries] on fossil fuels.”

It is this brute world of power that has also led our alleged climate
president, Joe Biden, to approve the Willow Project in Alaska. The move
has rightly triggered denunciations of hypocrisy because, upon taking
office in 2021, the Biden administration vowed to embark on “a
whole-of-government [climate] effort in every sector of the economy.”
The Willow “carbon bomb” is projected to unearth six hundred million
barrels of oil, “effectively adding the emissions of the entire country
of Belgium, via just one project.” The New York Times reports,
“ConocoPhillips plans to install devices called thermosyphons in the
thawing permafrost to keep it solid enough to support the heavy
equipment needed to drill for oil — the burning of which will release
carbon dioxide emissions that scientists say will worsen the ice melt.”
This is how the world of power plans for a warming world.

Yet we shouldn’t act as if there is zero reason for Biden’s turnabout.
He understands, like every president before him, that surging gasoline
prices are an enormous political liability in a society where the vast
majority of workers still require the dirty fuel to get to work. As long
as Biden acts as if his administration is helpless in the face of fossil
fuel price volatility — and only increased supply will bring the price
down — political viability will continue to hinge on cheap fossil fuel
prices.

The Green New Deal was a call to reject the idea that we can cede
climate solutions to markets and price swings. Yet this is exactly what
the Biden administration still believes. In 2021, Biden’s climate envoy,
John Kerry, insisted, “I think we’re on the cusp of a massive
transformation . . . ultimately, the market is going to make the
decisions, not the government.”

For all the grandiose claims of “industrial policy,” the Inflation
Reduction Act is simply a generous set of market incentives — tax
credits, to be exact — that aim to spur mostly private investment in
clean energy and private consumer purchases of low-carbon commodities
like electric vehicles and heat pumps.

If Biden were really acting according to the science, rather than
approve Willow he would launch a large-scale plan of public investment
to build the clean energy transition we need. Such a plan could only be
viable politically if accompanied with serious redistributionist
programs that shield workers from any energy price spikes.

A public works plan to vastly expand union jobs and manufacturing
alongside guaranteed stable and affordable energy prices for the working
class could actually create the mass constituency needed to intervene in
the real world of capitalist power and climate politics. But no one in
the ruling class seems willing to challenge the capitalist stranglehold
over the energy sector to embark on such a project. And the Left, for
the time being, remains too weak. As such, the liberal climate
technocrats and those with real power remain worlds apart.

This will not be the last terrifying scientific report on climate
change. But the only path out of the dull repetitiveness of increasingly
dire headlines is a politics that acknowledges that science and truth
won’t automatically lead to change. The struggle for the planet is a
struggle for political power.
Matt Huber is a professor of geography at Syracuse University. His new
book, Climate Change as Class War: Building Socialism on a Warming
Planet, is out from Verso Books in 2022.
https://jacobin.com/2023/03/ipcc-report-climate-doom-cycle-science-technocracy

/[ looking at future risks - text and audio reading  ]/
*The Toxic Threat in Thawing Permafrost*
CHRISTIAN ELLIOTT
03/23/23
Trapped in all that permafrost is 30 billion tonnes (33 billion US tons)
of carbon. It’s an unfathomable amount, says Kirkwood. With global
warming, the permafrost is thawing, threatening to release a “carbon
bomb” of heat-trapping methane gas to the atmosphere. But there’s
something else lurking in the permafrost, too. Something that has the
potential to be more immediately dangerous to the people and wildlife
living in the area: mercury.

Wildfires and volcanoes belch mercury and since the Industrial
Revolution so, too, do coal-burning power plants and factories. Warm air
currents carry mercury in its inorganic heavy metal form to the Arctic
where it settles into the soil and vegetation before being safely locked
away in the deeply frozen permafrost.

In its inorganic form, mercury is less threatening to people. But as the
permafrost thaws, says Kirkwood, mercury is finding its way into the
soil and into the regions’ many ponds, rivers, and lakes. Once there,
microbes can convert inorganic mercury into the form to be concerned
- -
For the Indigenous peoples of northern Ontario who have lived off the
peatlands for thousands of years — hunting caribou, catching fish, and
gathering native plants — the lurking threat poses a risk to their way
of life.

So for the past six years, Kirkwood has been coming to this remote
environment every summer, helicoptering in to drill thick cores of peat
and bringing them back to his lab for analysis. On these trips, Kirkwood
often has help from Sam Hunter, a self-taught independent scientist from
Peawanuck, Ontario.

Back in the 1970s, Hunter saw how scientists studying the Hudson Bay
Lowlands used Indigenous peoples as guides, but didn’t involve them in
their research. Now, he says, there’s a comanagement process — he
accompanies researchers on their fieldwork and helps bring their
findings back to local communities. Bringing together outside scientists
and traditional knowledge is important, he says, because Indigenous
peoples have seen firsthand how the permafrost is changing.
- -
“Walking on permafrost is like walking on really hard ground, like
gravel,” says Hunter. When there’s permafrost, he says, “there’s all
kinds of flora. There’s berries, vegetation that animals feed on. We
collect wild tea.”

Please Donate to WhoWhatWhyBut once the permafrost thaws, he says, “the
environment turns into a swampland. … You can’t even walk, you’d sink.”
Along with the disappearing permafrost “go the animals. They move higher
and higher into the Arctic. Muskox has disappeared and a few shorebirds
we used to have — they’re moving north.”

Methylmercury seeping out of the permafrost is the latest water-quality
issue First Nations communities in the region have faced. Closer to the
Manitoba border, industrial mercury pollution from the 1960s still
affects 90 percent of the Anishinaabe community Grassy Narrows. Many
First Nations communities across Canada still lack clean drinking water.
In the absence of government support for water-quality testing, Hunter
has trained three community members in Peawanuck to test their water and
fish.

Whether all of the mercury idling in the permafrost will become a
significant threat to locals hinges on the answers to a few outstanding
questions — questions Kirkwood aims to answer.

A decade ago, scientists discovered that certain microbes with a
specific gene can convert inorganic mercury into toxic methylmercury.
Scientists know some microbes have this ability and others don’t, but
efforts to relate the abundance of microbes with mercury methylating
potential to the amount of methylmercury in the environment have been
unsuccessful. That’s led scientists studying mercury cycling, like
Andrea Bravo at the Institute of Marine Sciences in Spain, to theorize
that there’s more at play dictating the pace of methylmercury
production, like the complex relationships between the entire community
of microbes in the soil.

That’s where Kirkwood’s research comes in. By drilling and taking core
samples of the permafrost, then measuring the amount of inorganic
mercury while at the same time sequencing the DNA of everything in the
soil, he hopes to better understand how methylmercury gets produced in
thawing permafrost. Once he knows that, he can figure out where the
threat is largest by looking at where mercury methylating microbes and
inorganic mercury overlap.

“It’s a hot topic, a timely research question,” says Bravo, who isn’t
involved in Kirkwood’s research. “We are suddenly having a surface of
soil that was not reactive before, and it’s becoming reactive. … We
don’t know how much mercury is coming from this permafrost.”
- -
Bravo points out there are still many unknowns in efforts to gauge the
mercury threat. For one, it’s still not yet possible to accurately
predict methylmercury levels in freshwater waterways or the ocean based
on land sources. Despite global research efforts, “we still don’t
understand the process completely,” she says. “We’ve put in a lot of
effort, but we aren’t there yet.”

So far, Kirkwood’s initial findings show reason for hope. Previous
Arctic-scale estimates of inorganic mercury abundance have vastly
overestimated how much mercury is being stored in the Hudson Bay
Lowlands. Kirkwood’s cores show mercury levels 10 times lower. But that
doesn’t mean all is well. In thermokarst fens, meltwater ponds created
when iceberg-like permafrost chunks thaw, methylmercury levels are
higher than in the surroundings. As more permafrost thaws and these
ponds connect, methylmercury production will likely increase. And if
this mercury reaches the bay, biomagnification could cause it to build
up to high concentrations, making its way up the food chain from algae
to the tissue of fish that people catch and eat.

One of the things Hunter says he’s been told by the scientists who come
up from the south is that the polar bear is the barometer for climate
change. “And I don’t agree with that. I think the barometer for climate
change is the palsa, the melting permafrost,” he says. “And I think that
we need to understand what’s coming out of the ground now.”
https://whowhatwhy.org/science/environment/the-toxic-threat-in-thawing-permafrost/

/[The news archive - looking back California attitudes ]/
/*March 25, 2017*/
March 25, 2017:
The New York Times reports:

    “California’s clean-air agency voted on Friday to push ahead with
    stricter emissions standards for cars and trucks, setting up a
    potential legal battle with the Trump administration over the
    state’s plan to reduce planet-warming gases.

    “The vote, by the California Air Resources Board, is the boldest
    indication yet of California’s plan to stand up to President Trump’s
    agenda. Leading politicians in the state, from the governor down to
    many mayors, have promised to lead the resistance to Mr. Trump’s
    policies.

    “Mr. Trump, backing industry over environmental concerns, said
    easing emissions rules would help stimulate auto manufacturing. He
    vowed last week to loosen the regulations. Automakers are
    aggressively pursuing those changes after years of supporting
    stricter standards.

    “But California can write its own standards because of a
    longstanding waiver granted under the Clean Air Act, giving the
    state — the country’s biggest auto market — major sway over the auto
    industry. Twelve other states, including New York and Pennsylvania,
    as well as Washington, D.C., follow California’s standards, a
    coalition that covers more than 130 million residents and more than
    a third of the vehicle market in the United States.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/24/business/energy-environment/california-upholds-emissions-standards-setting-up-face-off-with-trump.html?hpw&rref=business&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli