[✔️] March 26, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Solnit commands, New batch from IPCC, Meat industry impacted IPCC, scientists rebel, Eliot Jacobson doomerism, when all goes wrong.

Sun Mar 26 08:33:43 EDT 2023

/*March 26, 2023*/

/[  Author Rebecca Solnit speaks from the Guardian ] /
*Forget geoengineering. We need to stop burning fossil fuels. Right now*
Rebecca Solnit
Pie-in-the-sky fantasies of carbon capture and geoengineering are a way
for decision-makers to delay taking real action
Fri 24 Mar 2023
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reports, one of
which dropped this week, are formidably researched and profoundly
important, but they mostly reinforce what we already know:
human-produced greenhouse gases are rapidly and disastrously changing
the planet, and unless we rapidly taper off burning fossil fuels, a dire
future awaits.

The message is far from hopeless – “Mainstreaming effective and
equitable climate action will not only reduce losses and damages for
nature and people, it will also provide wider benefits,” said the IPCC
chair, Hoesung Lee, in the press release. “This Synthesis Report
underscores the urgency of taking more ambitious action and shows that,
if we act now, we can still secure a liveable sustainable future for all.”

But “act now” means taking dramatic measures to change how we do most
things, especially produce energy. The people who should be treating
this like the colossal emergency it is keep finding ways to delay and
dilute a meaningful response. Fossil fuel is hugely profitable to some
of the most powerful individuals and institutions on Earth, and they
influence and even control a lot of other people.

To say that is grim, but there’s also a kind of comedy in the ways they
keep trying to come up with rationales to not do the one key thing that
climate organizers, policy experts, activists and scientists have long
told them they must do: stop funding fossil fuels, stop their
extraction, stop their burning and speed the transition away from their use.

As perhaps the most powerful person to swim against their tide, the
United Nations secretary general, António Guterres, said yesterday, we
must move toward “net-zero electricity generation by 2035 for all
developed economies and 2040 for the rest of the world” and establish “a
global phase-down of existing oil and gas production compatible with the
2050 global net-zero target”. All the other actions that help the
climate – including protecting forests and wild lands, rethinking
farming, food, transportation and urban design – matter, but there is no
substitute or workaround for exiting the age of fossil fuel.

The IPCC tells us that “[e]very increment of global warming will
intensify multiple and concurrent hazards. Deep, rapid, and sustained
reductions in greenhouse gas emissions would lead to a discernible
slowdown in global warming within about two decades, and also to
discernible changes in atmospheric composition within a few years.”
Later in the report, the scientists declare, “Projected CO2 emissions
from existing fossil fuel infrastructure without additional abatement
would exceed the remaining carbon budget for 1.5C.” That translates to:
what we’re already extracting and using is already too much to keep to
the temperature threshold set in Paris.

As climate communicator Ketan Joshi put it on Twitter, “People who make
decisions about the pace of climate action and fossil fuel reliance are
not behaving like they’re pulling the lever on the next few thousand
years of Earth.”...

They come up with endlessly creative ways to continue extracting and
using fossil fuel. One of their favorites is to make commitments that
can be punted off to the future, which is why one recent climate slogan
is “delay is the new denial”. Another is to pretend that they are
somehow still looking for a good solution and once they find it they
will be very happy to use it. A holy grail, a hail Mary pass, a magic
bullet, a miracle cure – or just a distracting tennis ball that too many
journalists, like golden retrievers, are happy to chase.

That was clear when Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory announced its
nuclear-weapons-related fusion breakthrough last winter, which the
Bulletin of the Atomic Physicists noted had “at best, a distant and
tangential connection to power production”. But many news stories
latched on to it as if we were waiting for some miraculous solution when
the solutions already exist and just need to be scaled up. It was as if
they were selling us a dream of a lifeboat eventually reaching our
shipwreck when viable lifeboats are all around us.

Dr Jonathan Foley, who heads Project Drawdown, joked that “fusion is
here now. Look up in the sky.” The sun gives us far more energy than we
can ever possibly use, now that solar panels let us convert some of that
to electricity.

Among the worst of the excuses for not doing the one thing we must do is
carbon capture, which has absolutely not worked at any scale that means
anything and shows no sign of so doing on a meaningful scale in the near
future. But while it is dangled as a possibility, it creates a
justification to keep burning fossil fuel. So does geoengineering, which
along with posing many kinds of disruptions is a way to compensate for
continued emissions from burning things rather than stop burning them.
These centralized hi-tech solutions seem to appeal to technocrats and
beneficiaries of large corporations and centralized power, who perhaps
don’t like or don’t comprehend the decentralization of power coming from
sun and wind.

The decision-makers here often seem like a patient who, when told by a
doctor to stop doing something (smoking, say, or maybe mainlining drain
cleaner), tries to bargain. All the vitamins and wheatgrass juice on
Earth won’t make toxic waste into something nontoxic, and all these
excuses and delays and workarounds and nonexistent solutions don’t
replace what the IPCC tells us: stop burning fossil fuel.

Move fast. Step it up. Now. Which brings us back to something that
climate organizers have told us for a long time and the new report
brings home. We know what to do, and we have the solutions we need to do
it, so the biggest problems are political. They’re banks, politicians,
financiers and the fossil fuel industry itself. We don’t need any magic
technology to defeat them, just massive civil society willpower set in
motion.

Rebecca Solnit is a Guardian US columnist. Her latest book, edited with
Thelma Young Lutunatabua, is Not Too Late: Changing the Climate Story
from Despair to Possibility
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/24/ipcc-report-we-must-stop-burning-fossil-fuels

/[ Beckwith reviews the next 80 pages of the IPCC report -  video 50 min ]/
*Delving into the Nitty Gritty in the Latest Climate Change Science
Update: IPCC AR6 Synthesis Report*
Mar 25, 2023
Earlier in the week, I posted a video chatting about the latest IPCC AR6
Synthesis Report, based on the short version of the released report.

A few days ago, a longer version of the report was released, and I chat
about it in this video. There are a lot more details within, but there
is still more to come soon after the finalized full report is released.
When that comes out, I’ll be sure to dissect it in a video at that time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VEiN-H9mAU

- -

/[ This report is open source ]/
*AR6 Synthesis Report **Climate Change 2023*
Click the Longer Report
https://report.ipcc.ch/ar6syr/pdf/IPCC_AR6_SYR_LongerReport.pdf
https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/syr/

- -

/[ Philosophers and our children should decide how this is an immoral act ]/
*The meat industry blocked the IPCC’s attempt to recommend a plant-based
diet*
A leaked draft revealed how the meat industry is obstructing efforts to
curb climate change
By Aurora Almendral
March 24, 2023

It’s no secret that climate change discourse is shrouded in obfuscation,
disinformation, greenwashing and lies, both outright and of omission.
But a recent leak of a draft of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
Change (IPCC) report released on March 20 has been particularly
enlightening when it comes to just how much how delegations negotiate,
watered down, and delete scientists’ findings.

Micheal Thomas, who writes the climate newsletter Distilled, outlined
the shift in wording driven by Brazil and Argentina, countries with
large and influential beef industries. As Thomas points out, the IPCC
report’s authors initially recommended a shift to plant-based diets,
stating that “plant-based diets can reduce GHG emissions by up to 50%
compared to the average emission-intensive Western diet,” according to a
draft leaked by Scientist Rebellion.

In the published report, the line was changed to “balanced, sustainable
healthy diets acknowledging nutritional needs,” skirting a direct
mention of beef and dairy, what a sustainable diet actually looks like,
or any reference to the Western and largely wealthy countries that
should most urgently start eating less meat.

While Monday’s IPCC report was the result of synthesizing years of
research, Brazil and Argentina have been diligently pushing to delete
references to “plant-based diets,” meat as a “high-carbon” food, and
“Meatless Mondays” for years, according to a previous draft leaked in
2021 and analyzed by Unearthed, Greenpeace’s investigative outlet.

*The money and the future at stake*
Climate action within the meat and dairy industries faces substantial
economic and political headwinds. The global beef industry was estimated
at about $400 billion in 2022, and Brazil and Argentina both have
long-standing, powerful beef lobbies who have held positions in
government and influenced important climate policy.
The meat and dairy industry produces 14.5% (pdf) of global greenhouse
gas emissions, according to the UN’s Food and Agriculture
Organization—more than half of the environmental impact of food
production as a whole.

Beef's emissions far exceed all other food products
https://qz.com/ipcc-report-on-climate-change-meat-industry-1850261179

- -

/[ scientist rebellion ]/
*We are scientists, calling for a climate revolution*
"We are currently heading directly towards civilizational collapse.
We need to switch into climate emergency mode as a society."
Dr. Peter Kalmus

As scientists, we have tried writing reports and giving presentations
about the climate and ecological crisis to those in power. We must now
have the humility to accept these attempts have not worked. Now is the
time for us to take action, so that we show how seriously we take our
warnings.

"There is a very big risk that we will just end our civilisation. The
human species will survive somehow but we will destroy almost everything
we have built up over the last 2000 years" -
Prof. Hans Schellnhuber, director emeritus of the Potsdam Institute.
*Why We Rebel*

Scientists have spent decades writing papers, advising government,
briefing the press: all have failed. What is the point in documenting in
ever greater detail the catastrophe we face, if we are not willing to do
anything about it?

Academics are perfectly placed to wage a rebellion: we exist in rich
hubs of knowledge and expertise; we are well connected across the world,
and to decision-makers; we have large platforms from which to inform,
educate and rally others all over the world; and we have implicit
authority and legitimacy, which is the basis of political power. We can
make a difference. We must do what we can to halt the greatest
destruction in human history.

https://scientistrebellion.com/

/[ a great, deep and important discussion - video 71 mins ]/
*A new clear and strong voice in the doomosphere. Eliot Jacobson.*
The Poetry of Predicament
1,465 views  Jan 31, 2022
This was a great interview with Eliot. And, he didn't talk at all about
the books he has written about how to beat the house in gambling.
(remember the Phd in mathematics?)

All of his contact info is below.
Another warm welcome to Eliot to the Doomer community.
__________
Eliot's links as mentioned in this conversation:
My blog: www.climatedisaster.net
My gambling: www.advancedadvantageplay.com
My poetry: www.totallydisconnected.com
  - -
Mann’s article about YouTube:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidrvetter/2021/12/07/youtube-is-serving-up-climate-misinformation-this-top-scientist-says-google-should-ban-it/?sh=5a4527bae365
__________
The Poetry of Predicament Podcast.

Living Resilience / Deep Academy: Offering transformative support and
resources to people bravely facing the human-caused Collapse of Earth
and Human Systems…

You are warmly invited to find nourishing support and resources in any
and all of our programs... www.LivingResilience.net/DeepAcademy

Including, our newest, five-week introductory program,
Dancing at the Edge: Transformative Resilience facing our very human
Predicament.
(This course is available in live, and all-recorded / self-paced versions.
_____
Find many other resources and subscribe to our newsletter on our
website: https://livingresilience.net

* Safe Circle Support Groups / Tuesday nights 6p-730p Pacific Time
* Transformational Resilience Coaching for Individuals and Groups
_____
And, on the Deep Academy Programs page:
https://livingresilience.net/deepacad... Deep Academy
- Online Learning Series:
Start with our two-part Introductory Series: Living in Two Worlds and,
Resilience.
Subscribe to our special focus podcast series: Take My Hand: Conscious
Parenting in a Time of Stolen Dreams

For those ready for a deep dive into the Collapse-Aware conversation,
and the expansion of capacity for presence in the face of larger and
larger stressors... consider joining us in our ongoing Community of
Practice.
Contact Dean Walker for further details...
___
  Contact: Dean Spillane - Walker
safecircle at gmail.com
https://livingresilience.net
Podcast: The Poetry of Predicament (YouTube channel)
Deep Academy Online Learning
Safe Circle Support
Dean’s Coaching / Guidance Practice as described in his Deep Adaptation
Forum listing:
https://guidance.deepadaptation.info/guide/dean-spillane-walker/#more-1059
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOIFs4B6mpE

- -

/[ two year old video 24 min ]/
*Who We Really Are... When Everything Goes Wrong*
Like Stories of Old
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT_sKGbP1yY

/[The news archive - looking back - at an echo from 17 years ago ]/
/*March 26, 2006*/

March 26, 2006: TIME Magazine releases its April 3, 2006 cover-dated
issue, with the cover story: "Be Worried. Be Very Worried."

    "There are a whole series of things that demonstrate that people
    want to act and want their government to act," says Fred Krupp,
    president of Environmental Defense. Krupp and others believe that we
    should probably accept that it's too late to prevent CO2
    concentrations from climbing to 450 p.p.m. (or 70 p.p.m. higher than
    where they are now). From there, however, we should be able to
    stabilize them and start to dial them back down.

    That goal should be attainable. Curbing global warming may be an
    order of magnitude harder than, say, eradicating smallpox or putting
    a man on the moon. But is it moral not to try? We did not so much
    march toward the environmental precipice as drunkenly reel there,
    snapping at the scientific scolds who told us we had a problem.

    The scolds, however, knew what they were talking about. In a solar
    system crowded with sister worlds that either emerged stillborn like
    Mercury and Venus or died in infancy like Mars, we're finally coming
    to appreciate the knife-blade margins within which life can thrive.
    For more than a century we've been monkeying with those margins.
    It's long past time we set them right.

http://content.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,20060403,00.html
http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1176980,00.html

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli