[✔️] May 6, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Heat to come, Universities shut down, oceans rise, archive, extinction risks, Bush blunder of 2001 ,

Sat May 6 08:33:31 EDT 2023

/*May*//*6, 2023*/

/[ what's in store for 2024 - explained in 15 min video ]/
*What El Niño Will do to Earth in 2024*
May 5, 2023  #elnino #lanina #astrum
The La Niña and El Niño Southern Oscillation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mggRl80WzbE

/[ Universities shut down ]/
*Students occupy schools and universities across Europe in climate protest*
Twenty-two institutions have been shut down as part of proposed
month-long campaign
Damien Gayle
@damiengayle
Fri 5 May 2023
A wave of student occupations has shut down schools and universities
across Europe as part of a renewed youth protest campaign against
inaction on climate breakdown. Twenty-two schools and universities
across the continent have been occupied as part of a proposed month-long
campaign.

In Germany, universities were occupied in Wolfenbüttel, Magdeburg,
Münster, Bielefeld, Regensburg, Bremen and Berlin. In Spain, students in
occupation at the Autonomous University of Barcelona organised
teach-outs on the climate crisis. In Belgium, 40 students occupied the
University of Ghent. In the Czech Republic, about 100 students camped
outside the ministry of trade and industry. In the UK occupations were
under way at the universities of Leeds, Exeter and Falmouth.
- -
The blockades and occupations are part of an extended campaign under the
banner “End Fossil: Occupy!”, which aims to build on and escalate the
youth climate strike movement that was previously at its strongest
during 2019’s mass climate mobilisations.

A statement by the campaign read: “End Fossil: Occupy! is radicalising
the youth climate movement in tactics and demands. Occupations instead
of strikes. End the fossil economy instead of ‘listen to the science’.
End Fossil: Occupy! is reigniting the fire of the youth climate movement
last seen in 2019.”
- -
“We start as students occupying schools and universities, but we need
all of society to take radical action with us to end fossil [fuels],”
the campaign said. “Only with as a mass movement that involves all of
society taking responsibility to stop the fossil fuel era can we truly
change the system.

“Anyone from any part of the world who wants to organise local school or
university occupations is very welcome to do so, as long as they agree
to participate to achieve our core demand and follow our three
principles: youth-led occupation, climate justice framework for the
demands, and occupy until you win.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/may/05/students-occupy-schools-universities-europe-climate-protest

/[ recent talk on how ice melts and oceans rise ]/
*Sea Level Rise Seminar, 2023-03-14: Nicole Schlegel*
NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies
Mar 20, 2023  Sea Level Rise Seminars
Sea Level Rise Seminar, 2023-03-14
Speaker: Nicole Schlegel (JPL, Caltech)

*Title:   Attributing pieces of the pie: detangling uncertainty in
ice-sheet model projections*

    *Abstract:* Numerical ice sheet models are invaluable tools for
    bounding Antarctica's response to ocean and atmospheric change.
    However, model-based continental-scale projections of Antarctica’s
    grounding line evolution remain largely uncertain, as estimates of
    sea-level contribution can vary by up to an order of magnitude. This
    is partly due to the fact that model projections strongly depend on
    the model's boundary conditions and climate forcing. Here, we aim to
    improve the understanding of how variations in model forcing and
    boundary conditions affect ice sheet model simulations.  In this
    talk, I discuss how we do so, by taking advantage of JPL's Ice-sheet
    and Sea-level System Model (ISSM) and various uncertainty
    quantification methods available through the ISSM framework, to
    detangle and compare sources of model uncertainty in century-scale
    simulations of the Antarctic Ice Sheet evolution.  Our experiments
    suggest that Antarctica’s most dynamic glaciers exhibit threshold
    collapse appear to be strongly dependent on the characteristics of
    bathymetric features inland of the current grounding line.  I
    discuss ongoing efforts to identify the most influential bedrock
    features and to quantify how bedrock error propagates as uncertainty
    in simulated Antarctic sea-level projections. This includes an
    overview of our efforts to use model experiments to constrain the
    resolution of bedrock topography needed to more accurately predict
    the probability of key glaciers exceeding their thresholds for
    collapse in the near future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxuy_iIgELM

- -

/[ YouTube channel archives 90 recent video lessons ]/
*Sea Level Rise Seminars*
NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies
Visualizations created by the GSFC Scientific Visualization Studio and
other NASA offices related to research at the Goddard Institute for
Space Studies.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpMmnV3HS7r1zEsdKRnKOpmhy7vaB2Bz1
https://www.youtube.com/@NASAGISStv

/[  question before a media physicist ]/
*Human Extinction: What Are the Risks?*
Sabine Hossenfelder
339,482 views  Dec 31, 2022  #science

Correction to what I say at 11 mins 50 seconds: A super-volcano eruption
ejects more than 1000 cubic kilometers of matter (not 1000 cubic
meters). Sorry about that!

What do we know about the risks of human going extinct? In today's video
I collect what we know about the frequency of natural disasters and just
how they would kill us, and estimates for man-made disasters.

👉 Transcript and References on Patreon ➜ https://www.patreon.com/Sabine
📖 Check out my new book "Existential Physics" ➜
http://existentialphysics.com/

    00:00 Intro
    00:30 What Is an Existential Risk?
    02:00 Would Extinction be Bad?
    04:18 Man-made Disasters
    10:36 What's The Risk of Man-made Disasters?
    11:35 Natural Disasters
    13:38 What's the Risk of Natural Disasters?
    16:55 Why Can't the LHC Produce Black Holes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQVgt5eFMh4

/[The news archive - looking back at Christine Todd Whitman and how GW
Bush fumbles the topic ]/
/*May 6, 2001*/
May 6, 2001: The New York Times reports on EPA Administrator Christine
Todd Whitman's persona-non-grata status in the George W. Bush
administration:

"Mrs. Whitman was greeted like a political star when she arrived here
several months ago to run the Environmental Protection Agency. Not a
single senator, not even her Democratic rivals, opposed her appointment.

"But no sooner had the former New Jersey governor unpacked her bags than
she found her authority undercut by the very man who had lured her to
Washington, George W. Bush.

"The most recent snub occurred when the White House openly contradicted
a claim she made on national television two weeks ago that the
administration might back away from its plans to open up the Arctic
National Wildlife Refuge to oil drilling amid growing opposition in
Congress.

"Only weeks earlier, Mrs. Whitman declared that Mr. Bush intended to
fulfill a campaign pledge to lower carbon dioxide emissions from power
plants -- only to find that the president had decided against that
policy without so much as telling his chief environmental overseer.

"So it is not surprising that the public embarrassments Mrs. Whitman has
had to endure at the hands of her new boss are giving rise to questions
about her ability to lead the environmental agency, though she and the
White House insist that there is no strife and that she is an important
voice in the administration...

"The recent setbacks also threaten to undermine the credibility of Mrs.
Whitman, a politician whose plain-spoken manner and seemingly moderate
political views had made her one of the nation's most prominent
governors and at one point a potential vice presidential candidate.

"Indeed, Mrs. Whitman's nomination to head the environmental agency
cheered many people on the left -- despite her mixed record on the
environment in New Jersey -- who were wary of the conservative
Republican crowd that had moved into the White House. But those very
same people are no longer so optimistic that her voice will be heard
within the new administration."

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/06/nyregion/hitting-ground-limping-for-whitman-chaos-her-wake-sharp-elbows-her-future.html?pagewanted=all

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

/ to explore the archive

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli