[✔️] May 11, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Early wildfires, Yale and games, Netflix game, Seeking help, Sheldon Solomon philosophizing, 400 years till oceans boil, Lessons from Venus at RealClimate, Oil and Terrorism

Thu May 11 11:29:06 EDT 2023

/*May*//*11, 2023*/

/[ look to the sky ] /
*Early Wildfires, Heat Waves Show Grim Signs of Global Climate Crisis*
May 9, 2023
An early, aggressive wildfire season in Alberta, alarming, summer-like
temperatures in parts of the Mediterranean, scorching, road-melting heat
to South Asia, and torrential rain causing deadly floods in
Congo-Kinshasa, are all signs this spring of anthropogenic climate
change and a “grim augur of things to come.”...
- -
Relatively cooler weather is helping the more than 1,000 firefighters
battling blazes across the northern and east-central parts of Alberta,
but the province remains in a state of emergency and has asked the
federal government for military assistance. Nearly 30,000 people have
been displaced from their homes, and several precious structures have
been lost to the flames, with small Indigenous communities reporting
significant losses, reports CBC News. As of Tuesday morning, 89
wildfires were burning across the province, 24 of them deemed out of
control. The Globe and Mail says that nearly 400,000 hectares have been
burned so far this year, compared to 417 hectares this time last year.

The government said it could be months before all the blazes are brought
under control, Reuters writes. Alberta’s oil and gas producers have shut
in at least 280,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day—more than 3% of
Canada’s output—taking precautionary measures to protect equipment and
workers...
- -
May is typically a fire month for Alberta, with so much dead organic
matter lying around after the winter. But this year, a combination of
unusual and early heat and ongoing drought has generated more volatile
conditions. A similar situation may unfold in the Northwest Territories,
with winter long gone—spring having arrived sooner than usual—and hot,
dry conditions forecast for summer.

Climate change is causing wildfire seasons in Canada to grow longer and
more severe, said Mike Flannigan, research chair for predictive
services, emergency management and fire science at Thompson Rivers
University in Kamloops. He noted that Alberta’s spring wildfire season
is already “off to a roaring start.”

The combination of more frequent and intense lightning storms with ever
drier vegetation is leading to “higher intensity fires that are
difficult to impossible to extinguish,” he added. Which means that
“we’re almost moving to fire years instead of fire seasons.”

“That’s the result because we’re getting warmer.”
https://www.theenergymix.com/2023/05/09/early-wildfires-heat-waves-floods-show-grim-signs-of-global-climate-crisis/
/[ seeking help from the stress and chaos of traumatic  news  ]/
*Communities*
Gen Dread is a free newsletter that talks about the emotional pain that
the climate and wider ecological crisis is causing, and how to put it to
work. https://gendread.substack.com/p/generation-dread-finding-purpose

Project InsideOut “applies the latest research and best practices in
psychology to help people on the journey from despair, passivity, and
denial toward courageous, more impactful environmental action.”
https://projectinsideout.net/guiding-principles/
https://projectinsideout.net/

https://www.allwecansave.earth/circles
The All We Can Save Project envisions that, by 2030, women leading on
climate will hold the power to create transformational change and will
experience deep joy in their work to build a just and livable future.

The Climate Psychology Alliance spreads awareness of climate psychology
and mental health through educational events and climate outreach. Also
see Handbook of Climate Psychology.
https://www.climatepsychologyalliance.org/

/[ We all face the same fate -- long philosophizing interview
https://youtu.be/Nve1E0MA_Ec ]/
*How Death Drives the Anthropocene | Sheldon Solomon*
Planet: Critical
May 10, 2023  #politicalcrisis #climatecrisis #socialcrisis
Are you afraid of dying?

Sheldon Solomon has been researching death anxiety and its impact on our
behaviour for decades, finding that unmitigated death awareness drives
mindless consumption, political polarisation and more disordered
behaviour. In short, our fear of death could be driving the climate crisis.

We discuss the link between death awareness and self-awareness, how
cultural beliefs are used to anesthetize death anxiety, how Western
culture has the ironic effect of exacerbating that very anxiety that
it's trying to solve, and why the solutions lie with imagination and
creativity.

Sheldon Solomon is Professor of Psychology at Skidmore College. His
studies of the effects of the uniquely human awareness of death on
behaviour were featured in the award winning documentary film Flight
from Death: The Quest for Immortality. He is co-author of In the Wake of
9/11: The Psychology of Terror and The Worm at the Core: On the Role of
Death in Life.

    00:00 intro
    03:29 The community of people working on the crisis
    09:13 The psychology of the crisis
    19:30 The role of imagination
    21:44 The existential crisis
    29:47 Learning to die
    36:30 Death anxiety and individualism
    43:33 The impact of individualism
    54:43 Resurrecting humanity
    01:06:40 The war on "woke"
    01:14:49 Who would you like to platform?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nve1E0MA_Ec

/- -/

/[ James K Rowe ]/
Sep 16, 2013
Dr. James Rowe is an Associate Professor with the School of
Environmental Studies in the Faculty of Social Sciences. In this video,
James discusses his research into political ecology.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiMXjqP2SUA

/[ Forget CO2 - just the addition of heat to the Earth system could lead
to an overheated apocalypse -  a recent YouTube video ]/
*I recently learned that waste heat will boil the oceans in about 400
years.*
Sabine Hossenfelder
Feb 25, 2023  #science #climate #tech
All power plants create waste heat that contributes to global warming.
At the moment, the contribution is fairly small, but if mankind
flourishes it is bound to increase and eventually it will become a
problem. The only thing we an do about it is to build an air condition
for the planet. Scientists have come up with some ideas how to address
the problem that I hope you will find entertaining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vRtA7STvH4

- -

/[ Text posting at RealClimate ]/
*Lessons from Venus*
11 APR 2006 ...
Venus has vastly more CO2 in its atmosphere than Earth, the same basic
principles govern the operation of the greenhouse effect for both
planets: the fact that air cools by expansion as it rises means that the
upper parts of the atmosphere are colder than the surface, while the
opacity of greenhouse gases to infrared means that infrared radiation
can only escape from the upper portions of the atmosphere...
https://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2006/04/lessons-from-venus/

- -

/[ Text posting at RealClimate ]/
*Venus Unveiled*
16 MAR 2008 BY RAYPIERRE
https://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2008/03/venus-unveiled/

/[ YALE and games ]/
*‘Highwater,’ the new video game that immerses players in a dystopian
world ravaged by climate change*
Created by Demagog Studios, ‘Highwater’ takes players on a
sometimes-satirical journey filled with moral questions.
CC avatar
by YCC TEAM
MAY 9, 2023
A new video game called “Highwater” immerses players in a dystopian
world ravaged by climate change-induced floods, war, and chaos.

The climate is changing, and our journalists are here to help you make
sense of it. Sign up for our weekly email newsletter and never miss a story.
In the game, players help a teenager named Nikos sneak onto a rocket
ship the rich have built to flee to Mars.
“Since wars are raging, people are dying of dysentery, et cetera, he
wants to move to a better life,” says Igor Simic, CEO and creative
director of Demagog Studios, which created Highwater.

To get there, Nikos must navigate the landscape by boat, collect his
friends, and fight adversaries.

Along the way, players face moral questions.
“So for example, you might decide not to help someone because there
isn’t enough space in your boat, or you might decide to help them,”
Simic says.

The game is satirical at times. Simic says it’s meant for entertainment,
not to preach about climate change.

But the creators were influenced by natural disasters, such as Hurricane
Katrina and flooding in Serbia.

“That triggered something, just the images of boats going around the
water that is up to the first floor or second floor,” Simic says.

So while the game depicts a fictional world, it reflects real fears
people have about climate disasters.

Reporting credit: Ethan Freedman / ChavoBart Digital Media
https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2023/05/highwater-the-new-video-game-that-immerses-players-in-a-dystopian-world-ravaged-by-climate-change

- -

/[ Here's the game - it is locked into a Netflix membership ]/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netflix.NGP.Highwater
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/128958

/[The news archive - looking back at the link between oil and terrorism.]/
/*May 11, 2011*/
May 11, 2011: MSNBC's Dylan Ratigan and former Department of Homeland
Security head Tom Ridge discuss the nexus between oil and terrorism.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/dylan-ratigan-show/42995814#42995814

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

/ to explore the archive

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli