[✔️] May 17, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Wildfire blame, resilient future, Pirates increasing, Permafrost in Hawaii, Beyond hop and fear - Dowd, Predicaments,

Wed May 17 09:39:30 EDT 2023

/*May*//*17, 2023*/

/[  first study to focus on wildfires - “angering,” but not surprising
...] /
*Oil companies’ carbon led to vast wildfire damage, researchers find*
By Chelsea Harvey | 05/16/2023
The world’s top corporate carbon emitters are responsible for more than
a third of the area burned by wildfires in the western United States and
southwestern Canada since the 1980s, a new study says.

The analysis, published Tuesday in the journal Environmental Research
Letters, focuses on the top 88 fossil fuel producers and cement
manufacturers, from which a majority of the world’s greenhouse gas
emissions originate. It’s a kind of climate attribution study that
connects rising temperatures with worsening wildfires and the source of
the emissions that have spurred them.

“We know that wildfires in western North America are growing worse due
to climate change,” said study co-author Carly Phillips, a research
scientist at the Union for Concerned Scientists’ Science Hub for Climate
Litigation. “And we also know, based on previous research, that
emissions from these top 88 carbon producers have contributed a
significant amount to global temperature increase. And so we wanted to
kind of combine those two lines of inquiry to be able to put a spotlight
on the fossil fuel industry’s role in driving the wildfires.”

The study began by looking at changes in vapor pressure deficit — a
measurement of the dryness of the air — in western North America over
the last century. The region has dried as temperatures have risen, and
multiple studies have linked the drying with a rising risk of wildfires.
There’s simply more dry fuel available to burn.

The study next used a combination of observations and climate models to
parse out the relationship between rising global temperatures and
increasing vapor pressure deficit over the years. It also tracked the
amount of area burned by wildfires across western North America over the
same time period.

Finally, the researchers used models to assess the responsibility
attributed to the world’s top emitters. They did so by running two sets
of simulations.

In the first, they modeled the world as it actually exists, including
all the carbon emissions that have historically been released into the
atmosphere. In the second, they erased all the emissions associated with
the 88 companies. This allowed them to assess how the West’s wildfire
history would have been different without them.

They found that emissions traced to these 88 companies are responsible
for about half the increase in vapor pressure deficit — the dryness
indicator — that the region has experienced since 1901. They also found
that these emissions are responsible for about 37 percent of the area
burned by wildfires in the western United States and southwestern Canada
since 1986.

“The emissions coming from the companies are large, so it makes sense
that their contributions to these phenomena would be large too,”
Phillips said.

The findings were “angering,” but not surprising, she said.

The American Petroleum Institute, an industry group representing fossil
fuel companies, disputed the study and said its authors have a “clear
agenda.”

“America’s oil and natural gas industry is focused on delivering
affordable, reliable energy while reducing emissions,” said Christina
Noel, an API spokesperson.

Yet the world’s top fossil fuel companies are historically responsible
for a large share of the greenhouse gas emissions that have warmed the
planet over the last century.

Emissions data associated with the largest fossil fuel producers is the
work of a scientist named Richard Heede. Heede spent years compiling a
database tracking the companies responsible for putting the most carbon
into the atmosphere. Top producers include companies like Saudi Arabian
Oil Co., Exxon Mobil Corp., Chevron Corp. and BP PLC.

Nearly 10 years ago, Heede concluded that 90 companies were responsible
for about two-thirds of the world’s carbon dioxide and methane emissions.

That number has since been changed to 88, due to mergers and
acquisitions, Phillips said.

It’s not the first study to link climate impacts with the world’s top
emitters. Other studies have quantified the role of the same 88
companies in overall global warming and sea-level rise, as well as ocean
acidification. One study found that these carbon producers are
responsible for as much as half the historical rise in global temperatures.

This is the first study to focus on wildfires.

Such studies can potentially be used in climate litigation, Phillips
suggested.

Hundreds of climate-related lawsuits have been filed globally, including
plaintiffs suing their governments for failing to act on climate change
and others who sued fossil fuel companies for contributing to global
warming. Legal experts have noted that attribution studies — which
investigate the role of climate change in extreme weather events and
disasters — could bolster these kinds of cases.

“We know that there are lots of lawsuits against fossil fuel actors
right now that are citing attribution science as evidence of the impact
of these companies’ products,” Phillips said. “So this really adds to
that body of work that can be used to inform those cases.”
https://www.eenews.net/articles/oil-companies-carbon-led-to-vast-wildfire-damage-researchers-find/

/[ Local materials.  TED talk ]/
*How to build a resilient future using ancient wisdom*
Julia Watson • TED2020
In her global exploration of Indigenous design systems, architect Julia
Watson researches enduring innovations that could help us counter the
challenges of climate change. From floating villages to living root
bridges that strengthen over time, Watson introduces us to some of these
resilient solutions -- and shows how they can teach us to design with
nature, instead of against it.
https://www.ted.com/talks/julia_watson_how_to_build_a_resilient_future_using_ancient_wisdom?user_email_address=080c272b1bf03ff4404fd3dd32129aab

/[ plausible, of no surprise ]/
*CLIMATE CHANGE LINKED TO INCREASED PIRATE ATTACKS*
FISHERMEN ARE PIVOTING TO PIRACY AS THE SEAS HEAT UP
by SHARON ADARLO
May 14, 2023
*Jolly Roger*
Climate change isn't just causing weird weather patterns, like stronger
storms or flood surges wreaking havoc on coastal communities and
infrastructure. Apparently, scientists say, we can also blame it for —
we shit you not — an increase in pirate attacks in the waters off East
Africa.

It's not quite as wild as it sounds. As the ocean off East Africa
experiences warmer surface temperatures, fish stocks have suffered, and
the resulting economic destabilization has led to increased piracy in
the area, as detailed in a new paper in the journal Weather, Climate and
Society. Strengthening the case, the same study also analyzed the South
China Sea, another piracy hotspot, and found that increased fish
production was correlated with a decrease in pirate attacks.

Sound whimsical? On a certain level, sure. But piracy is still a serious
global issue, and the climate even more so — so the fact that
researchers are charting a link between the two should give anyone pause.

"In a timeline of roughly 20 years, we’re picking up statistically
significant, measurable differences," study coauthor Gary LaFree, a
professor of criminology at the University of Maryland, told the
Guardian. "I was surprised by how rapidly those changes are occurring,
especially when you think of climate change most likely accelerating in
the future."

*Swashbuckers*
The study looked at about two decades of data and analyzed more than
2,000 acts of piracy in the two regions.

Complicating the picture, the researchers also noted that some of the
pirates plying these waters are also fishermen, who live largely hand to
mouth and have the skills and know-how to navigate the ocean, making
them ideal pirates for this new age of maritime crime.

"You tend to think either you are a criminal or a non-criminal," LaFree
told the Guardian. "But there is evidence from other researchers that
some fishermen drift into it, depending on how fishing is going,"

All told? It's just one more example of the sometimes bafflingly complex
risks posed by a warming climate — and particularly how the
carbon-spewing developed world is causing myriad problems for poorer
areas that use far fewer fossil fuels.

"If our arguments are correct, and sea temperatures continue to rise
into the foreseeable future," reads the researchers' paper, "the
struggle against piracy in east Africa will become increasingly difficult."
https://futurism.com/the-byte/climate-change-pirate-attacks

/[ Permafrost in Hawaii -- melting ]/
*Scientists race to study Hawaii’s vanishing permafrost*
By Chelsea Harvey | 05/15/2023
Mauna Kea is the only place in Hawaii where it’s known to occur — and
it’s likely dying out. Surveys have found the patches are shrinking over
time
https://www.eenews.net/articles/ee-subscriber-scientists-race-to-study-hawaiis-vanishing-permafrost/

/[ 1 of 2  video presentation https://youtu.be/hV91pH8HORo ]/
*CACOR: The Big Picture: Beyond Hope and Fear - Michael Dowd*
thegreatstory
May 15, 2023
I consider this 52-minute presentation delivered via Zoom on May 3, 2023
to the Canadian Association for the Club of Rome (CACOR) to be my most
important and emotionally supportive video to-date. DESCRIPTION: No one
needs convincing that we are living in an age of chaos and breakdowns.
Even those without benefit of an ecological understanding of history
feel the stress. How do we cope? How can we escape the seesaw of hope
and fear?  And, crucially, how can we be of support to others who are
confused, angry, depressed, or filled with fear, blame, or guilt?

Time-coded table of contents:
00:00 - Intro of speaker, Michael Dowd
01:24 - Slide program begins
01:40 - Description and overview
03:00 - Religious naturalism, compost theology credo
04:40 - Denial / adaptive inattention
05:57 - Catton and Berry quotes
06:47 - How “progress" leads to collapse/ecocide
09:52 - problems vs. predicaments
10:00 - Main issue is ecological overshoot, not climate
12:05 - Thesis
13:31 - Ophuls vs. Pinker and other progress acolytes
16:40 - The ecocidal cult of perpetual progress
18:31 - Collapse & Overshoot in a Nutshell / Hopium
19:57 - Un-trivializing good & evil / nuclear meltdowns
21:30 - Overshoot - Why “solutions” make things worse
22:54 - 4 main drivers of collapse, ecocide, likely NTHE
23:48 - BREAK
24:34 - Great Acceleration / Ongoing and unstoppable
28:15 - Tipping points (thresholds) already passed
30:20 - NASA chart - Last 22K years of temperature rise
31:21 - How denial shows up / Myth of ‘the Almighty We’
32:41 - Four (Deadly Accurate) Metaphors
34:02 - BREAK and REVIEW /
34:42 - Serenity Prayer / why Acceptance is vital
36:16 - Grief, Jenkinson hope-free / Stages of Grief
39:55 - Assisted migration of trees / helping forests walk
40:55 - It’s NOT too late for… / It IS too late for…
42:10 - Cultivating calm gratitude / Benefits of acceptance
45:45 - Karen & Jordan Perry and Meg Wheatley PD videos
46:18 - What’s wrong with hope?
47:50 - Thesis redux / Joseph Brodsky: evil in the language
50:11 - Definitions of doom and post-doom
51:30 - Feelings that reveal acceptance or non-acceptance
52:34 - Final note of encouragement / invitation to watch Q&A

RESOURCES (SCHOLARSHIP on which this program is grounded):
https://postdoom.com/resources/
https://soundcloud.com/michael-dowd-g...
https://thegreatstory.org/sustainabil...

CACOR website: https://canadiancor.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV91pH8HORo

- -

/[ pt 2 waiting for hospice --  videos ]/
*Dowd CACOR Q&A - The Big Picture: Beyond Hope and Fear*
thegreatstory
May 15, 2023
This 75-min video is one of the best Q&A sessions I've ever participated
in, largely because of the amazing questions and commentary from such an
educated Canadian Association for the Club of Rome (CACOR) audience. The
questioners brought out the best in me. One of my closest post doom, no
gloom friends and colleagues (and a mentor), MEG WHEATLEY, responded in
such a generous way in an email the next day that it brought tears to my
eyes. She wrote: "I’ve just listened to the Q&A from yesterday and want
to both appreciate and honor your extraordinarily compassionate honoring
of all questioners, even those who misunderstood or denied your remarks.
I learned a new level of compassion and grace in listening to your

TIME-CODED TABLE of CONTENTS - video 2 -- Q&A
00:20 - Anitra, President of Club of Rome U.S.A. / PP&T blog
03:59 - Gary: Communities of care?
05:50 - Steve: AI (Artificial Intelligence) and human destiny?
07:52 - Gordon: predications, uncertainties, certainties?
13:00 - Gordon: ecocentric (sustainable) civilizations?
15:25 - Richard: What IS possible, constructive, life-giving?
18:33 - Raymond: Electrifying society, shift to ‘renewables’?
23:35 - Peter: Are we already in hospice? Our way of life?
27:50 - Sally: population, overconsumption, overshoot?
29:54 - Peter: Can societies choose to succeed or fail?
30:57 - Bob: Differences: ours from previous boom/busts
34:00 - Karen: Benefits of collapsing well? Amends? Chat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccsBdr7WKmU

- -

/[ Eric Michaels blog ]/
*Problems, Predicaments, and Technology*
This blog covers many different aspects of ecological overshoot focusing
on climate change, pollution loading, and energy and resource decline.
Specific areas of interest also include anthropocentrism, hubris,
cognitive dissonance, and optimism bias.
lhttps://problemspredicamentsandtechnology.blogspot.com/

/[The news archive - looking back consciousness conundrum - religion
trumps cognitive certainty. ]/
/*May 17, 2013*/
May 17, 2013: Andrew Sullivan points to the root cause of US
climate-change denial:
"But the main reason many Americans still refuse to believe it is
religious fundamentalism. That is immune to science and reason. But it
is the bedrock belief of one of our political parties."
http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/05/17/settled-among-scientists/

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

/ to explore the archive

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli