[✔️] November 14, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | BFD Hansen, Traffic shooting in Panama, Earth ablaze, Trees and forests, 2012 Obama on climate

Tue Nov 14 03:10:19 EST 2023

/*November *//*14, 2023*/

/[ indeed, "This is a BFD" -- Dr James Hansen latest paper -  top
climate informer ]/
*How We Know that Global Warming is Accelerating*
*and that the Goal of the Paris Agreement is Dead*
James Hansen, Pushker Kharecha, Norman Loeb, Makiko Sato,
Leon Simons, George Tselioudis, and Karina von Schuckmann

    The drive for global temperature change is Earth’s energy imbalance
    (EEI), the
    difference between the energy Earth receives from the Sun and energy
    Earth reflects
    and radiates back to space. We have good measurement of EEI today
    based on precise
    satellite data for change of reflected and emitted radiation
    calibrated by decadal ocean
    heat content change measured by deep-diving Argo floats.
    Interpretation of global
    temperature change and prediction of future temperature requires
    knowledge of the
    principal forcings that now affect EEI: human-made greenhouse gases
    (GHGs) and
    atmospheric aerosols (fine airborne particles). Aerosol climate
    forcing is not being
    measured, but information on aerosol forcing can be extracted from
    an ongoing “great
    inadvertent aerosol experiment” as a result of discrete changes in
    International
    Maritime Organization (IMO) regulations on the sulfur content of
    ship fuels. These
    limited assessment tools are threatened by the absence of firm plans
    to continue direct
    EEI observations. A shortcoming of our climate science is failure to
    communicate
    well what is known from existing data. Global warming in the
    pipeline and emissions
    in the pipeline assure that the goal of the Paris Agreement – to
    keep global warming
    well below 2°C – is already dead, if policy is constrained only to
    emission reductions
    plus uncertain and unproven CO2 removal methods.

https://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2023/Acceleration.2023.11.10.pdf

/[ Report from the Independent news - Nov 7th traffic shooting ]/
*Elderly lawyer shoots dead two climate protesters blocking highway*
A copper mine protest turned deadly after a man allegedly opened fire,
killing two demonstrators

A retired lawyer allegedly shot and killed two men who were part of a
protest blocking a highway in Panama.

While he has not been officially named by police, the suspect has been
widely reported to be Kenneth Darlington, 77, a retired American lawyer
and university professor who lives in Panama.

Police said on X (formerly Twitter) that a man has been arrested at the
scene, where he was charged with aggravated homicide and illegal
possession of a firearm.
Mr Darlington, who was born in Panama but has US citizenship, was caught
up in a traffic jam on Tuesday on a highway 55 miles west of Panama
City, caused by protesters campaigning against the recent deal the
Panama government made to restart a copper mine.

The protest attracted a group of photographers and TV reporters to the
site of the traffic block, where they had lined the middle of the
highway with tyres, flags, tree branches and stones to stop the cars.
Despite the cameras, horrific video footage showed Mr Darlington, who
was allegedly caught in the traffic, walking up to the protesters and
open firing, leaving two men dead.

According to the Panama TV network TVN, who reported they were able to
access the court hearing on the shooting incident for a few minutes, the
suspect uttered something along the lines of “this ends here” before
leaving his vehicle and storming up the highway towards the protesters.

The widely circulated video footage shows Mr Darlington arguing with a
group of men from the protest.
https://twitter.com/thetatvaindia/status/1722498442340016558
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/lawyer-shoots-two-protestors-panama-b2445820.html

/[ discussion of climate disaster  ]/
*Earth Ablaze*
Facing Future
Aug 11, 2023  #MauiFires #HeatWaves #ClimateEmergency
The evidence is all around us.  Our industrialized civilization is
taking us into an unlivable future.  Every continent is affected by the
fever we have inflicted on our planet.  The gravity of the climate
emergency is clear.
Even as the crisis hits the United States and Europe - #MauiFires,
Midwest hailstorms, hot tub ocean temperatures in Florida, Italian
cities on red alert, Spain in drought, extended #HeatWaves- mirroring
what's been happening in the global south, political action is still not
happening.  What will it take for world leaders to stop subsidizing
extinction?  And what do the next decades portend?

In this program, Peter Carter, the director of the #ClimateEmergency
Institute, and co-author of Unprecedented Crime: Climate Science Denial
and Game Changers for Survival and
Paul Beckwith, Climate System Scientist and Professor of Climatology,
Meteorology, and Oceanography at the University of Ottawa and Carleton
University
look at this question and explain why getting off fossil fuels is
essential to our survival.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6goo4SapW90

/[ Young, ambitious NYTimes reporter summarizes an academic publication
- buries the lede on carbon offsets - "caveats" ]/
*How Much Can Trees Fight Climate Change? Massively, but Not Alone,
Study Finds.*
The research, which comes with important caveats, was partly an effort
to address the scientific uproar surrounding an earlier paper.
By Catrin Einhorn
Nov. 13, 2023

Restoring global forests where they occur naturally could potentially
capture an additional 226 gigatons of planet-warming carbon, equivalent
to about a third of the amount that humans have released since the
beginning of the Industrial Era, according to a new study published on
Monday in the journal Nature.

The research, with input from more than 200 authors, leveraged vast
troves of data collected by satellites and on the ground and was partly
an effort to address the controversy surrounding an earlier paper. That
study, in 2019, helped to spur the Trillion Trees movement but also
caused a scientific uproar.

The new conclusions were similar to those in a separate study published
last year. Mainly, the extra storage capacity would come from allowing
existing forests to recover to maturity.

But major caveats remain: If we protect all current forests, where will
people get timber, rubber and palm oil? Would forests be able to store
carbon quickly enough? And how much forest carbon would be lost to fire,
drought and pests as climate change intensifies?...
- -
In 2019, he acknowledged, careless language led to trees being wrongly
painted as a silver bullet for climate change. Now, his biggest fear is
that countries and companies will keep treating forests that way, using
them for carbon offsets to enable the continued use of fossil fuels.

“We are all terrified that this potential of nature gets misused,” Dr.
Crowther said. “Nature has such spectacular potential to help us tackle
global threats, but it will be devastating if major organizations use
nature as an excuse to do more harm to our planet.”...
- -
Still, he emphasized that carbon drawdown from forests should be kept in
perspective. “There is still only a finite amount of land to dedicate to
forests,” he said, “so only a small fraction of the potential carbon
uptake has a chance of being realized.”...
- -
He and other scientists also raised concerns about the warming effects
that trees can have in colder and dryer climates as they absorb heat
that would otherwise have been reflected by snow or grass.

But there is one thing they all agree on: To tackle both climate change
and biodiversity loss, the world must do far more to cut fossil fuels
and end deforestation of old-growth forests.
Catrin Einhorn reports on biodiversity for the Climate and Environment
desk. She has also worked on the Investigations desk, where she was part
of the Times team that received the 2018 Pulitzer Prize for Public
Service for its reporting on sexual harassment
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/13/climate/trillion-trees-research.html

/[ The news archive about Obama first statement on climate change  ]/
/*November 14, 2012 */
November 14, 2012: At a post-election press conference, President Obama
declares:

    "I think the American people right now have been so focused, and
    will continue to be focused on our economy and jobs and growth, that
    if the message is somehow we’re going to ignore jobs and growth
    simply to address climate change, I don’t think anybody is going to
    go for that.  I won’t go for that. If, on the other hand, we can
    shape an agenda that says we can create jobs, advance growth, and
    make a serious dent in climate change and be an international
    leader, I think that’s something that the American people would
    support."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlF6ikIbjGU

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli