[✔️] November 13, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Kate Marvel, Drawdown, Dr Kaitlin Naughten, Harvard frisht, Martin Rees predicts, Cryosciences, 2005 Fox

Mon Nov 13 05:51:58 EST 2023

/*November 13*//*, 2023*//
/
/[ Dr Kate Marvel delivers the surest science and best story of hero's
quest ]/
*The End of Normal: Understanding—and correcting—Earth's troubling
climate trajectory | Kate Marvel*
Project Drawdown
Aug 28, 2023
The planet is now more than 1.1°C warmer than before the Industrial
Revolution—and it shows. This summer, we’ve experienced punishing heat
waves, devastating floods, and toxic levels of wildfire smoke filling
our skies. As temperatures climb, the risk of extreme weather rises,
too. And we’re facing an even hotter, more dangerous future. Humans are
conducting an unprecedented experiment on the entire planet, and no one
is sure exactly how bad it will turn out. But there is hope. Most of the
solutions we need to stop climate change and avoid the worst-case
scenarios are already here.

Join Dr. Kate Marvel, senior climate scientist at Project Drawdown, as
she draws on her own experiences as a scientist and vocal advocate for
climate solutions to explore the science behind current climate changes
and future projections. We’ll discuss the science of attributing extreme
weather events to our warming climate, the different ways humans affect
climate, and the things science doesn’t yet understand.

This webinar is part of Project Drawdown’s new monthly Drawdown Ignite
webinar series. Drawdown Ignite provides information and inspiration to
guide your climate solutions journey. Updates on future webinars can be
found by visiting drawdown.org/events

Key links:  Project Drawdown: https://drawdown.org/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHi47HrXfNg

- -

/[ The most highly recommended organization  ]/
*Project Drawdown is the world’s leading resource for climate solutions.*
Our mission is to help the world stop climate change—as quickly, safely,
and equitably as possible.

To do this, we pursue three key strategies:

    Advance Effective, Science-based Climate Solutions and Strategies.
    We do the science no one else does to cut through the noise and find
    effective “whole system” solutions and strategies for stopping
    climate change.

    Foster Bold, New Climate Leadership. We inform, inspire, and empower
    business leaders, investors, and philanthropists to take bold, new
    positions, act more strategically, and rapidly bring climate
    solutions to scale.

    Promote New Narratives and New Voices. We work to shift the
    conversation about climate change from “doom and gloom” to
    “possibility and opportunity.” And we elevate new, underrepresented
    climate heroes through storytelling and “passing the mic.”

https://drawdown.org/drawdown-roadmap

/[ Video interview with the widely respected climate scientist Dr
Kaitlin Naughten ]/
*We can’t save the West Antarctic. So what now?*
Dr Gilbz
Nov 8, 2023  #Antarctica #ClimateChange
It’s not often that I make a video with a title this bleak, but
unfortunately, needs must. Several pieces of new research point to the
inevitability of West Antarctic Ice Sheet collapse, which is pretty bad
news. But what we do with this bad news is still up to us.

Here, I talk to the lead author of one of these new papers, Dr Kaitlin
Naughten. She tells me what it all means, including why we need to focus
on adaptation, and why we must take courage, not hope, from this
information.

Contents

    00:00 Intro
    01:06 Who cares about the Amundsen Sea
    01:58 What the study shows
    03:06 Mechanisms of change
    05:34 Can we trust it?
    06:36 The link to sea level rise
    07:02 Time to adapt
    08:53 Why our actions DO matter
    10:51 Courage vs hope
    13:52 Thank yous
    #ClimateChange #Antarctica
    References and resources

THE PAPER: Naughten et al. (2023)
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-023-01818-x
Kaitlin’s twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/kaitlinnaughten/status/1716472710107222440
Kaitlin’s article in The Conversation:
https://theconversation.com/increasing-melting-of-west-antarctic-ice-shelves-may-be-unavoidable-new-research-216030
more at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_BoZDS1gjU

- -

/[ Since 2009 "ClimateSight.org" -- I've been reading her superb blog
-  before Kaitlin got her PHD.   Her writing is always superb.
https://climatesight.org /
/In 2009 I took her advice:  "So go do some reading. Do some searching
and reading and watching. See what individuals, professionals, groups
and scientific bodies are saying about climate change. Assess their
credentials. Decide who you’re going to believe."  ]/
*Increasing melting of West Antarctic ice shelves may be unavoidable –
new research*
Posted on Oct 23, 2023
https://climatesight.org/2023/10/23/increasing-melting-of-west-antarctic-ice-shelves-may-be-unavoidable-new-research/

/[ From Harvard ]/
*When future weather outside is frightful — hot, that is*
Experts warn how life will change for people of different economic
levels in various parts of world as global temperatures rise
BY Alvin Powell  Harvard Staff Writer

October 18, 2023
Climate change is raising sea levels, creating stronger and wetter
storms, melting ice sheets, and fostering conditions for more and worse
wildfires. But as cities around the world warm, climate change’s complex
global picture often comes down to this: Residents say they are just too
hot.

Jane Gilbert, one of the nation’s first official “heat officers,” works
in Miami-Dade County. She said South Florida may be suffering the
effects of sea level rise and is in the crosshairs of stronger and more
frequent hurricanes, but residents testifying at 2020 hearings on
climate-change impacts on low-income neighborhoods repeatedly said the
biggest one was the heat.

Panelists gathered at the Harvard Graduate School of Education’s
Longfellow Hall last Friday for an event on the “Future of Cities” in a
warming world said the topic is particularly relevant this year, when
global temperatures soared to new records. As Gilbert spoke on the
Cambridge campus on a cool fall afternoon, the heat index in Miami was
109 degrees, just the latest of more than 60 days this year that have
seen heat indices higher than 105 degrees.
- -
Satchit Balsari, who conducts research among members of India’s largest
labor union for women in the nation’s informal economy, did research in
Gujarat among the millions of people who are already living with a
global climate that has increased 1 degree Celsius. While that rise may
seem a small change, that global average is experienced through much
wider daily swings in some areas in the form of longer and hotter heat
waves, warmer winters, higher nighttime temperatures and more extreme
weather events, such as stronger storms or wildfires.

One thing that has become apparent, said Balsari, an assistant professor
of global health and population at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of
Public Health, is that when talking about individuals, microenvironments
matter much more than global averages, because those environments are
what affect people as they live and work.

Balsari shared stories of a street vendor, a weaver who works in a
building whose rooftop temperature was 10 to 15 degrees above that of
the surrounding area, who put up awnings to create shade from the sun,
only to have them taken down because they blocked security cameras.

“It’s very hot, and it cools down a little bit at night, but in their
work environment, in the lived experience in their homes, there’s this
constant experience of ‘It’s too hot,’” said Balsari, who is also an
assistant professor of emergency medicine at Harvard Medical School.

As hot as this year has been globally, experts who gathered for the
event only expect it to get hotter in the decades to come.

“This is an issue for the long run. Yes, things are bad now. We’re at
1.3, 1.2 (degrees Celsius above preindustrial temperatures) now; we’re
going to blow through 1.5. We’re going to probably blow through 2,” said
James Stock, vice provost for climate and sustainability and director of
the Harvard Salata Institute for Climate and Sustainability. “It gets
worse nonlinearly really quickly.”

Stock offered closing remarks at the event, which wrapped up Worldwide
Week at Harvard and included lectures, performances, exhibitions, and
other events across campus to highlight the ways in which the University
interacts and intersects with the world around it through the sciences,
arts, culture, politics, and other disciplines.

Joining Stock, Balsari, and Gilbert were Spencer Glendon, founder of the
nonprofit Probable Futures; Francesca Dominici, co-director of the
Harvard Data Science Initiative; Zoe Davis, climate resilience project
manager for the city of Boston; and moderator John Macomber, senior
lecturer at Harvard Business School. Harvard Provost Alan Garber and
Mark Elliott, vice provost for international affairs, offered opening
remarks.

Panelists agreed that better data collection is key to adapting
solutions to circumstances that vary widely even across small geographic
areas. Interventions such as providing vulnerable populations with air
conditioners, for example, may be valuable in low-income communities,
but less so in nearby communities with wealthier residents.

In Miami-Dade County, Gilbert said, air conditioners are considered
life-saving equipment to the extent that, after Hurricane Irma, the
state required nursing homes to have back-up power supplies so that
residents could be cooled even in a power outage. ZIP codes with the
highest land temperatures — which also tend to be low-income
neighborhoods — have four times the rate of hospital admissions during
heat waves as other parts of the region.

Gilbert echoed other panelists in calling for better, more granular data
through more widespread use of sensors, including wearable sensors that
can record heat impact on individuals. With different microclimates
affecting different people, different jobs — whether someone is in an
office or working at a construction site — also matter, both to public
health officials and business leaders. Estimates of the potential
economic impact of extreme heat in the Miami metro area are around $10
billion per year in lost productivity.

Nonprofit leader Glendon said we’re entering an unprecedented climate
era. Humans were nomadic, regularly moving to where conditions were
best, until about 10,000 years ago, when the temperature stabilized to
the narrow range that we now consider normal. Centered in the range that
humans prefer, climate stability helped foster human settlement and the
rise of civilizations.

In the 10,000 years since, Glendon said, everything we’ve created, from
building designs to cultural practices, has been made with the unstated
assumption that this stable temperature regime — averaging roughly 60
degrees Fahrenheit — will continue. Recent decades’ warming and the
projected warming in the decades to come will push heat and humidity in
some places beyond the range that the human body can cool itself, with
unknown consequences for societies.

“Everything is built on that stability, on the assumption that those
ranges are fixed,” Glendon said. “It’s in building codes, grades of
asphalt, architecture. … Those ranges are embodied so they became
unconscious, but we need to make them conscious, and ideally they
motivate us to avoid 2, 2½, or 3 degrees.”
https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2023/10/experts-warn-how-life-will-change-as-global-temperatures-rise/

/[ listen in on a Wonderful discussion on the practice of science ]/
*Martin Rees Predicts the Future of Humanity and Science!*
Dr Brian Keating
Nov 11, 2023  Brian Keating's Into The Impossible Podcast
Please join my mailing list here 👉 https://briankeating.com/list to win
a meteorite 💥

What’s written in our stars? Here to read humanity's horoscope is none
other than Lord Martin Rees!

Lord Martin Rees has played a huge role in my career and is an
inspiration to me and millions of scientists around the world. There is
literally nothing beyond his purview, and our conversation bore this out
-- we covered everything from A to Z: artificial intelligence to
zoology! Nothing was off-limits – we even shared our mutual and
controversial distaste for alchemy and astrology!

Lord Rees of Ludlow, the Astronomer Royal, is the Co-founder of the
Centre for the Study of Existential Risk and an Emeritus Professor of
Cosmology & Astrophysics at Cambridge University. He is the 38th Master
of Trinity College, Cambridge. He is the author of ‘On the Future’ and
10 other books and the 60th President of the Royal Society.

  @drbriankeating
Key Takeaways:

    Intro (00:00)
    Judging a book by its cover: On The Future (01:34)
    Reading the Queen's horoscope (02:53)
    Do physicists envy mathematicians? (06:32)
    Why is Einstein so often a target of criticism? (10:07)
    The steady-state of the universe debate and cosmology's earlier days
    (15:12)
    Martin's prediction that the CMB could be polarized (21:18)
    Theories of Everything. Do we need them? (28:28)
    Complex vs. complicated (36:46)
    There may be some benefits to the pandemic! (55:24)
    What do you think about blockchain and Bitcoin? (57:11)
    How coins got their ridges (59:06)
    What is your ethical will? (1:15:30)
    Outro (1:25:26)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88YbV3p8EAU

/[ Cryosciences ]/
*Arctic 21: Special Antarctica Session*
*International Cryosphere Climate Initiative*
Jul 14, 2023
With new cryosphere research published every month, understanding the
latest findings in snow and ice science is of crucial importance for
climate negotiators and policy makers. This Arctic 21 session focuses on
Antarctica, providing a series of scientific presentations on ice sheet
loss projections, sea ice, and the Southern Ocean, including the
influence of ocean currents on the continent.

Speakers include:
Pam Pearson, Executive Director, ICCI;
Dr. Julie Brigham-Grette, University of Massachusetts Amherst, on the
paleo record of Antarctica;
Dr. Robert DeConto, University of Massachusetts Amherst, on Antarctica's
contribution to past and future sea level rise;
Dr. Chris Stokes, Durham University, on the sensitivity of East
Antarctica to climate change;
Dr. James Kirkham, recently of the British Antarctic Survey, on his
observations of the record-low sea ice extent during a research
expedition there in April;
Dr. Sian Henley, University of Edinburgh, on Southern Ocean acidification;
Dr. Martin Siegert, Deputy Vice Chancellor, Exeter University, on new
exploration of extreme Antarctic weather events;.
Friday, July 14th, 2023 at 16:00CEST (10:00EDT)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZTPrhGdkz8

/[The news archive -    ]/
/*November 13, 2005 */
November 13, 2005: Fox News Channel airs "The Heat is On: The Case of
Global Warming," a special that reportedly (and surprisingly,
considering Fox's track record) does not feature any climate-change
deniers. After fossil-fuel-industry front groups attack Fox for not
including their viewpoint, Fox runs a special several months later
featuring the views of climate-change deniers.

https://www.mediamatters.org/research/2012/10/24/timeline-fox-news-role-in-the-climate-of-doubt/190906

See also

https://www.mediamatters.org/sean-hannity/timeline-fox-news-role-climate-doubt

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli