[✔️] October 17, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Florida flooding, Interactive map, 'faster than expected', Polar melt watch, the perfect dark crystal, 2000 Al Gore presidential debate

Tue Oct 17 05:45:18 EDT 2023

/*October 17*//*, 2023*/

/[much of Florida will be flooded, sometime in the future ]/
*New study projects sea level rise to drain Florida’s financial future*
WMFE | By Molly Duerig
October 16, 2023
- -
Yet despite serious risks associated with living close to rising seas,
Florida’s coastline remains highly attractive to homebuyers: keeping
property values in those areas relatively high, and encouraging even
more real estate development there.

As more property tax revenues roll in, they boost local governments’
bottom line. Right now, Florida’s coastal areas generate $2.36 billion a
year in property taxes for local governments; again, a low estimate, per
the study.

But sea level rise is only predicted to get progressively worse,
jeopardizing the future of not only those coastal communities, but the
critical funding they supply for Florida’s local governments.

“What’s going to happen is: we’re going to keep growing,” Butler said.
“There’s going to be more people living in those at-risk coastal zones.
There’s going to be more stress and strain on those existing budgets,
unless we change the growth paradigm that we currently operate under.
And there’s no hint that that’s
- -
Users can also use the study’s interactive StoryMap to explore Florida
at a more granular level, and see how heavily the state’s municipalities
depend on revenues tied to land projected to eventually be underwater.

In Central Florida, Cape Canaveral is projected to lose 38% of its local
revenues to sea level rise; Flagler Beach, 30%; and Daytona Beach, 27%,
according to the StoryMap...
https://www.wmfe.org/environment/2023-10-16/sea-level-rise-drain-floridas-financial-future

- -

/[ Interactive Map ]/
*The Fiscal Impacts of Flooding in Florida*
Sunshine, Sand and Sea Level Rise: Florida's Fiscal Vulnerability to
Chronic Inundation...
*The State of Florida*
Projecting the impact of chronic inundation on Florida's municipal
finances...
*The St. Petersburg Metro Region...*
*Planning Responses and Recommendations*
Prior Responses Have Had Mixed Results...
*About the Project...*
https://cugis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=754b615fa5db4bbea0ed393a2c730163

/[ British scientist says 'faster than expected'  ]/
*Antarctic climate change is taking us by surprise*
Dr Gilbz
Oct 16, 2023  #ClimateChange #Antarctica
While global temperature rise may be behaving as predicted, there are
certain regions on earth where climate change is happening way faster
than expected.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0mpCMQgtAk

- -

/[ Polar melt watch ]
/OCTOBER 15, 2023
*Scientists count huge melts in many protective Antarctic ice shelves.
Trillions of tons of ice lost.*
by Seth Borenstein
Four dozen Antarctic ice shelves have shrunk by at least 30% since 1997
and 28 of those have lost more than half of their ice in that time,
reports a new study that surveyed these crucial "gatekeepers'' between
the frozen continent's massive glaciers and open ocean.
Of the continent's 162 ice shelves, 68 show significant shrinking
between 1997 and 2021, while 29 grew, 62 didn't change and three lost
mass but not in a way scientists can say shows a significant trend,
according to a study in Thursday's Science Advances.

That melted ice, which usually pens larger glaciers behind it, then goes
into the sea. Scientists worry that climate change -triggered melt from
Antarctica and Greenland will cause dangerous and significant sea rise
over many decades and centuries.

"Knowing exactly how, and how much, ice is being lost from these
protective floating shelves is a key step in understanding how
Antarctica is evolving," said University of Colorado ice scientist Ted
Scambos, who wasn't part of the study.

Scambos said the study gives insight into fresh water that's melting
into the Amundsen Sea—"the key region of Antarctica for sea level
rise"—that not only adds height to the ocean, but makes it less dense
and salty...

All told, Antarctic ice shelves lost about 8.3 trillion tons (7.5
trillion metric tons) of ice in the 25-year period, the study found.
That amounts to around 330 billion tons (300 billion metric tons) a year
and is similar to previous studies.

But the overall total is not the real story, said study lead author
Benjamin Davison, a glaciologist at the University of Leeds in the
United Kingdom.

What's most important, he said, are the patterns of individual shelf
loss. The new study shows the deep losses, with four glaciers losing
more than a trillion tons on the continent's peninsula and western side...
Some of them lost a lot of their mass over time," Davison said. "Wordie
is barely an ice shelf anymore."

The Wordie ice shelve, which holds back four glaciers near the tip of
the Antarctic Peninsula, had a big collapse in 1989, but has lost 87% of
its remaining mass since 1997, Davison found. Neighboring Larsen A has
lost 73% and Larsen B 57%. The largest of the Larsen ice shelves, Larsen
C, has lost 1.8 billion tons (1.7 trillion metric tons) of ice, about
one-eighth of its mass.

The biggest loss of all is in the Thwaites ice shelf, holding back the
glacier nicknamed Doomsday because it is melting so fast and is so big.
The shelf has lost 70% of its mass since 1997—about 4.1 trillion tons
(3.7 trillion metric tons)—into the Amundsen Sea...
The ice shelves that grew were predominantly on the continent's east
side, where there's a weather pattern isolates the land from warmer
waters, Davison said. The ice shelves on the east were growing slower
than the shelves losing ice to the west.

It's difficult to connect an individual ice shelf loss directly to
human-caused climate change, but steady attrition is expected as the
world warms, he said.

https://phys.org/news/2023-10-scientists-huge-antarctic-ice-shelves.html
- -
More information: Benjamin Davison et al, Annual mass budget of
Antarctic ice shelves from 1997 to 2021, Science Advances (2023). DOI:
10.1126/sciadv.adi0186. www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.adi0186

/[  Global warming is the perfect dark crystal -- an enormous
//faceted//gem that is endlessly expanding ////]/
*Breakbone fever: Dengue will soon pose a “major threat” to US, the WHO
says*
By Matt Field | October 6, 2023
Thanks to global warming, the last eight years have been the hottest on
record. Now, along with wildfire smoke and stronger storms, climate
change may soon deliver to parts of the world yet another unwelcome
gift: dengue, a disease so unpleasant to experience that its nickname is
breakbone fever.

Higher global temperatures promise to make dengue a major threat in the
southern United States, southern Europe and new areas of Africa within
this decade, World Health Organization (WHO) Chief Scientist Jeremy
Farrar told Reuters. “We need to really prepare countries for how they
will deal with the additional pressure that will come … in the future in
many, many big cities,” the wire service reported Friday...
- -
It’s a problem that may become more common with climate change, a dengue
expert at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) suggested.

“Higher temperatures will probably expand the range of places where a
mosquito can survive. And then it can also facilitate transmission
through other ways, like faster viral replication in the mosquito and
increased survival of mosquitoes,” Gabriela Paz-Bailey told CNN in August.

The miasmatic theory of disease, common from the days of Hippocrates
through much of the 19th century, held that the weather played a role
sparking epidemics. “Unhealthy winds” could transport diseased vapors
great distances, the since-discarded concept maintained. Benjamin Rush,
a doctor who documented a 1780 epidemic in Philadelphia that many
scientists believe was dengue, echoed the theory in his analysis, noting
the winds that had been blowing over area swamps. “Moschetoes” were
everywhere in the autumn of ’80, he reported. “A certain sign of an
unwholesome atmosphere.” Though miasmatic ideas were abandoned long ago
in favor of the germ theory, it seems that the climate—as in climate
change—will play an important role in disease transmission. And, if
Farrar is right, in the case of dengue, that could happen in the United
States very soon.

https://thebulletin.org/2023/10/breakbone-fever-dengue-will-soon-pose-a-major-threat-to-us-the-who-says/

https://thebulletin.org/2023/10/breakbone-fever-dengue-will-soon-pose-a-major-threat-to-us-the-who-says/?utm_source=SocialShare&utm_medium=CopyLink&utm_campaign=CopyLink&utm_term

/[The news archive - looking back Al Gore presidential debate -]/
/*October 17, 2000 */
October 17, 2000: In the third presidential debate, Vice President Al
Gore declares:

    "I spend a good deal of time talking to young people, and in my
    standard speech out there on the stump, I usually end my speech by
    saying, 'I want to ask you for something, and I want to direct it
    especially to the young people in the audience,' and I want to tell
    you what I tell them. Sometimes people who are very idealistic and
    have great dreams, as young people do, are apt to stay at arm's
    length from the political process, because they think their good
    hearts might be brittle, and if they invest their hopes and allow
    themselves to believe, then they're going to be let down and
    disappointed. But thank goodness, we've always had enough people who
    have been willing in every generation to push past the fear of a
    broken heart and become deeply involved in forming a more perfect
    union. We're America, and -- and we believe in our future, and we
    know we have the ability to shape our future.

    "Now, we've got to address one of the biggest threats to our
    democracy, and that is the current campaign financing system. And I
    know they say it doesn't rank anywhere on the polls. I don't believe
    -- I don't believe that's a fair measure. I'm telling you, I will
    make it -- I will make the McCain-Feingold Campaign Finance Reform
    bill the very first measure that I send to the Congress as
    president. Governor Bush opposes it. I wish that he would consider
    changing his mind on that, because I think that the special
    interests have too much power and we need to give our democracy back
    to the American people.

    "Let me tell you why. Those issues you mentioned, Social Security,
    prescription drugs--the big drug companies are against the
    prescription drug proposal that I've made. The HMOs are against the
    patients' rights bill, the Dingell-Norwood bill, that I support and
    that Governor Bush does not support. The big oil companies are
    against the measures to get more energy independence and renewable
    fuels. They ought to have their voices heard, but they shouldn't
    have a big megaphone that drowns out the American people. We need
    campaign finance reform, and we need to shoot straight with young
    and old alike and tell them what the real choices are. And we can
    renew and rekindle the American spirit and make our future what our
    founders dreamed it could be. We can."

(64:40--67:22)
http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/PresidentialCandidatesDebate

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli