[✔️] October 18, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Amazon Jungle drought, Sea Ice, Current ice cover, Climate Anxiety, 1983 was 40 years ago.

Wed Oct 18 07:46:51 EDT 2023

/*October 18*//*, 2023*/

/[ The Amazon jungle is drying out - NYTimes ]
/ *A Severe Drought Pushes an Imperiled Amazon to the Brink*
The rainforest holds a fifth of the world’s fresh water, but
deforestation, dwindling rain and unrelenting heat are sucking it dry.
By Ana Ionova and Manuela Andreoni
Oct. 17, 2023
The planet’s biggest freshwater tank is in trouble.

The Amazon rainforest, where a fifth of the world’s freshwater flows, is
reeling from a powerful drought that shows no sign of abating.

Likely made worse by global warming and deforestation, the drought has
fueled large wildfires that have made the air hazardous for millions of
people, including Indigenous communities, while also drying out major
rivers at a record pace.

One major river reached its lowest level ever documented on Monday,
while others are nearing records, suffocating endangered pink dolphins,
shutting down a major hydropower plant and isolating tens of thousands
living in remote communities who can only travel by boat...
- -
The drier conditions are accelerating the destruction of the world’s
largest and most biodiverse rainforest where parts have started to
transform from humid ecosystems that store huge amounts of heat-trapping
gases into drier ones that are releasing the gases into the atmosphere.
The result is a double blow to the global struggle to fight climate
change and biodiversity loss.

“This is a catastrophe of lasting consequences,” Luciana Vanni Gatti, a
scientist at Brazil’s National Institute of Space Research who has been
documenting changes in the Amazon. “The more forest loss we have, the
less resilience it has.”

Recent studies have shown that climate change, deforestation and fires
have made it harder for the Amazon to recover from severe droughts...
- -
Drying rivers are also a blow to the region’s economy. Barges that move
corn bound for China and other countries were forced to reduce their
cargo by half along an important river this month because the water was
too shallow, and the erosion of a riverbed caused one port to collapse.

The Amazon’s rivers also fuel power plants that produce over a 10th of
Brazil’s electricity and the lack of rain led one power plant to shut down.

Similar drought conditions were documented in 2015, contributing to the
Amazon’s worst fire season on record. But scientists expect this drought
to be even more devastating because the Atlantic Ocean is warmer and El
Niño hasn’t yet reached its peak.

“This is just the beginning,” Dr. Gatti, the scientist, said.

On a recent afternoon, heavy clouds darkened the skies over the
riverside village of Boca do Mamirauá. People scrambled to grab buckets,
ready to fill them with rainwater. But the ominous clouds passed
quickly. “Not a single drop,” Ms. Martins, the community leader, said.

“We’re just praying for the rain to come.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/17/climate/amazon-rainforest-drought-climate-change.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/17/climate/amazon-rainforest-drought-climate-change.html?unlocked_article_code=QzmIl6EERB0RlhAPId56mohIQAhIiFITYLPVgGzz3bCIfaeqVc6VoWK8P3c8vIA5GLYMBAAZEU6S9Vo1MpWNGVojUPjLUqw9IY264uOVTU9qQTjPnDwdBQmUEiYlkoKJajyxdLyYN9t7sHPsG36XNLq7BLvdpjY-FfrcpZZ1RSV_AplWgSCxf-Eo0BLpd3zNeItLztXUpSavIg1VKlSzGILtA6UXriTLnzNDsBqR72u4Ff7MhZDovtmDgmmWuxTQ_EKcjfD1cS5f9Z86YO914VYPYGBT7t38oCpECfhc-8hJfx-_lG4hF3oscIPajCKcBFZd7WaE8KrhkRWuAguUDZYLY6lei8Jvzljzv38eceqWYQ&smid=url-share

/[  video --  reports and announcements   ]/
*Sea Ice Conditions, Predictions, and Forecasts: Sea Ice Community
Meeting September 2023*
IARPC Collaborations
Sep 28, 2023
The primary objective of this meeting was to provide a comprehensive
update on current sea ice conditions, predictions, and forecasts.
Presentations included near-real-time analysis of climate and ice at the
poles, review of the 2023 Sea Ice Outlook, the International Arctic Buoy
Programme, and the Unified Forecast System (UFS) application in the
Arctic. Our goal is to foster informed discussions, encourage
collaborative research, and enhance our collective understanding of the
rapidly changing Arctic environment.

Ted Scambos (National Snow and Ice Data Center) presented "Arctic Sea
Ice News and Analysis and Greenland Today - near-real-time analysis of
climate and ice at the poles." Ed Blanchard Wrigglesworth (University of
Washington) presented a review of the summer 2023 sea ice outlook.
Ignatius Rigor (University of Washington) presented an update on the
International Arctic Buoy Programme. Chris Cox (NOAA Physical Sciences
Laboratory) presented "UFS-Arctic: A Pan-Arctic Regional Application of
the UFS."

Want to join future IARPC Collaborations meetings or webinars? Request
an account on our member space where U.S. federal government program
managers, scientists, and community members from state, academic,
Indigenous, nonprofit, and private sector organizations team up to solve
hard problems to carry out the research laid out in the Arctic Research
Plan. Visit » https://www.iarpccollaborations.org

    00:00:00 Introduction
    00:01:12 Ted Scambos
    00:15:00 Ed Blanchard Wrigglesworth
    00:28:49 Ignatius Rigor
    00:40:38 Chris Cox
    00:51:31 Discussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0XJCBHG6SM

- -

/[  Cryosphere Climate report - ocean circulation is warmer --  YouTube ]/
*Arctic 21: Current State of Sea Ice Cover*
International Cryosphere Climate Initiative
Oct 6, 2023
Last month, Antarctica's maximum sea ice extent hit a record-breaking
low. At the same time,, the Arctic experienced its sixth lowest minimum
of sea ice since satellite records began in 1979. Scientists raise
concern that the effects of climate change are now threatening sea ice
in both poles; Antarctica might not be as invulnerable as previously
thought. Dr. Walt Meier, Senior Research Scientist at the National Snow
and Ice Data Center (NSIDC), summarizes the latest sea ice observations.

This Arctic 21 session was moderated by Pam Pearson, Executive Director,
ICCI.

Presentations include:
A "Normal Low" Arctic Minimum, and A "Record Low Minimum" Antarctic Maximum
Dr. Walt Meier | Senior Research Scientist at NSIDC; University of
Colorado Boulder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWswYja1Q6Y

/[ Needing therapy for climate anxiety? -- from
ClimatePsychologyAlliance.US ]
/*Episode 1, Beyond Climate Anxiety
**Climate Anxiety - is it the right focus for climate-aware mental
health care?*
Climate anxiety. It's getting lots of clinical and popular attention,
but is it actually the right focus for climate-aware mental health care?
Podcast produced by Rei Takver
Featuring:
Wendy Greenspun, NYC psychoanalyst and faculty at Adelphi University
Panu Pikhala, Adjunct Professor of Environmental Theology at University
of Helsinki
Selin Nurgun, Somatic Coach and resilience practitioner
Sarah Jaquette Ray, Program Leader of Environmental Studies at Humboldt
State
https://www.climatepsychology.us/climate-psychology-conversations/beyond-climate-anxiety

/[The news archive - looking back very early times -- 1983 ]/
/*October 18, 1983*/
October 18, 1983: In what would be one of her last "News Digest"
broadcasts, NBC anchor Jessica Savitch mentions a recently released EPA
report on the consequences of carbon pollution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w4pFNCzhTg

http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/#videoclip-3279
- -

*A Greenhouse Effect Warning from 1983*
by soarbird
Community (This content is not subject to review by Daily Kos staff
prior to publication.)
Thursday, June 21, 2012
While cleaning out my office the other day, I found a yellowed newspaper
clipping with the headline, "Greenhouse effect viewed with alarm."
The article was dated Oct. 18, 1983.  Check it out below the fold:

WASHINGTON  (AP) --  A potentially catastrophic warming of the Earth
will start in the 1990s, disrupting food production and raising coastal
waters as the polar icecaps melt, the federal government said in a
report released today.

The study by the Environmental Protection Agency said the climatic
changes from the so-called “greenhouse effect” are unavoidable and
warned that the United States and other countries must begin searching
now for ways to mitigate the impact.

The report, titled “Can We Delay a Greenhouse Warming?” concluded that
even as drastic and unlikely a step as a total ban on coal burning would
delay by only 15 years a 3.6 degree increase in average worldwide
temperatures.

While other government studies have warned that the greenhouse effect
was a potential problem, the EPA report is the first to state with
certainty that the warming will occur no matter what.

The EPA study is based on earlier projections by the National Academy of
Sciences that a doubling of carbon dioxide in the air – which could
occur by the middle of the next century – would raise present world
temperatures within a range of 2.7 degrees to 8.1 degrees Fahrenheit.

This result is known as the greenhouse effect because carbon dioxide
acts like the glass in a greenhouse allowing the sun’s warming rays to
reach earth but not allowing the heat to escape.

This is an amazingly unbalanced article by 2012 standards. Clearly, the
denialists weren't yet active in 1983, and climate scientists still felt
free to draw bold conclusions.  Imagine stating with certainty that "the
warming will occur no matter what," and in the 1990s, no less!  These
days, by the third paragraph at the very latest, the article would say,
"Other scientists, however, disagree.  Joe Blah, of the Climate Truth
Institute, says, "The evidence does not support such a conclusion.
Drill, baby, drill!  And furthermore, blah blah!"

The well-funded denialist movement has done a splendid job spreading
lies and confusion, preventing effective action, to the point that many
observers, including myself, view the situation as irredeemable.
Opinions among the "reality-based community" still vary widely, but it
will be only a very few more years before the climate scientists have
accumulated enough data to start projecting the consequences of the
ever-increasing Arctic methane release.  Then, perhaps, we can start to
achieve some kind of consensus about what we are really up against.

This is my first diary under this moniker, though I have been reading
DKos regularly since the spring of 1993, just before the war.  (The
status I would have if I had registered a username back then!)  I was
once a fledgling planetary astronomer in the 1960s, doing research on
weather patterns on the planet Jupiter, so I have always had a planetary
mindset and have always viewed Earth in planetary terms.  I totally
bought the Whole Earth Catalog "whole systems" approach.  In my
estimation, we actually passed the point of no return 20 years ago.
This conclusion has seemed inescapable to me ever since the early
1990s.  Since then I have been asking myself, "OK, if this is true, then
now what?"  Some day I'll probably write something about this subject.
It's important to remember that we're no more doomed now that we ever
were.  Only the time scale has changed.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2012/06/21/1101930/-A-Greenhouse-Effect-Warning-from-1983

- -

/[   from 1983 -- Where were we some 40 years ago ? ]/
*Early climate change consensus at the National Academy: the origins and
making of "Changing Climate"*
Nicolas Nierenberg 1, Walter R Tschinkel, Victoria J Tschinkel
Affiliations expand
PMID: 20848755 DOI: 10.1525/hsns.2010.40.3.318

    Abstract
    The 1983 National Academy of Sciences report entitled "Changing
    Climate," authored by a committee of physical and social scientists
    chaired by William Nierenberg, was an early comprehensive review of
    the effects of human-caused increases in the levels of atmospheric
    CO2. Study of the events surrounding the committee's creation,
    deliberations, and subsequent report demonstrates that the
    conclusions of the report were the consensus of the entire committee
    and in line with the scientific consensus of the time. This result
    contraverts a 2008 paper in which Naomi Oreskes, Erik M. Conway, and
    Matthew Shindell asserted that the report contradicted a growing
    consensus about climate change, and that Nierenberg for political
    reasons deliberately altered the summary and conclusions of the
    report in a way that played down the concerns of the other physical
    scientists on the committee. Examining the production of the report
    and contextualizing it in contemporaneous scientific and political
    discussion, we instead show how it was a multi-year effort with work
    divided among the various members of the committee according to
    their expertise. The synthesis and conclusions were expressly a
    joint statement of the committee and were consistent with other
    assessments of that time expressing deep concern over the potential
    issues while stopping short of recommending major policy changes due
    to the uncertainties, and to a lack of good alternatives.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20848755/

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli