[✔️] October 23, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Zinger Pope Francis, Local TV on mental heath, Antarctica again, Abyssal ocean, Carbon capitalism, Malm, 2007 CDC predicts risk

Mon Oct 23 08:56:28 EDT 2023

/*October 23*//*, 2023*/

/[ Maybe The Pope knows what a "total zinger" he has delivered ]/
*Q&A: The Pope’s New Document on Climate Change Is a ‘Throwdown’ Call
for Action*
A professor who has studied Francis’ writings on climate says he singles
out the U.S. for overconsumption and takes “aim” at the U.S. Conference
of Catholic Bishops’ denialism.
Interview by Paloma Beltran, “Living on Earth”
October 21, 2023
 From our collaborating partner “Living on Earth,” public radio’s
environmental news magazine, an interview by Producer Paloma Beltran
with Christiana Zenner, an associate professor in the Department of
Theology at  Fordham University in New York.

PALOMA BELTRAN: In June 2015, Pope Francis published a groundbreaking
document that made a theological case for climate action called Laudato
Si’: On Care for Our Common Home. That fall, in a rare moment of unity,
nations established the landmark Paris Climate Agreement.

Now, eight years later, the Pope is back with an even bolder update. In
“Laudate Deum,” or “Praise God,” Pope Francis says the world is “nearing
the breaking point,” condemns climate denial, and calls for urgent
climate action. The Roman Catholic church he leads is the largest
Christian denomination and has over a billion followers around the world.

Christiana Zenner is an Associate Professor in the Department of
Theology for Fordham University who is currently working on a book about
the Pope’s writings on the climate.

    CHRISTIANA ZENNER: This document is a total zinger compared to
    Laudato Si’. So whereas Laudato Si’ in 2015, was extensive, it was
    quite long, it was measured and pastoral and expressive and
    philosophical, this document, Laudate Deum, is much shorter. And it
    is super focused on the realities of climate crises, the realism of
    climate change, anthropogenic climate change in particular, as a
    moral, ecological social problem, and on the responsibility of all
    people to take up action in order to address these problems.

    So there’s a lot of really specific citation of science, there is a
    lot of very specific invocations about the kinds of things that need
    to happen. And then there is a little bit of philosophical and
    theological framing. But it’s a really punchy document.

    And at some points, it’s actually even a little bit snarky. He calls
    out the U.S. explicitly in the penultimate paragraph of the
    exhortation. He says the rates of consumption are so far above
    China, and even more profoundly above peoples and nations that are
    far less developed. And so he’s really taking language that is
    similar to the Kyoto Protocol and other kinds of agreements that see
    consumption by particular nations as historically problematic and in
    an ongoing way.

    It’s also, I think, taking a pretty specific aim at the U.S.
    Conference of Catholic Bishops and climate denialists. As you may
    know, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops has been pretty
    focused on pelvic issues, on abortion and contraception, etc, as its
    primary moral focus. And I think that it’s no accident that the Pope
    uses a U.S. bishop’s document from 2019 on climate change as the
    first citation, and then ends the document with this throwdown about
    U.S. consumption. I think that’s a pretty substantial frame.

    BELTRAN: It seems like Pope Francis is not beating around the bush
    when it comes to climate change.

    ZENNER: Oh, he is not. This is a throwdown document. It’s really a
    zinger. So he’s also then, especially in the first part of the
    apostolic exhortation, talking about climate denialism. And just
    taking it down, point by point. He just says, no, this doesn’t hold,
    this is not tenable. This is not a Catholic point of view, it’s not
    even a reasonable point of view. And let me show you why.

    And so in a very effective way, he just critiques those arguments.
    So, for example, he says that in recent years, some have chosen to
    deride these facts, he’s speaking of climate change. Then he says,
    they’ll bring up the allegedly solid scientific data, like the fact
    that the planet has always had and will have periods of cooling and
    warming.

    But then he goes on to say, they forget to mention another relevant
    datum, that what we are presently experiencing is an unusual
    acceleration of warming at such a speed that it will take only one
    generation in order to verify it. And he does this a number of
    times, this language that is basically some claim, or some deride
    these facts, and they’ll present this kind of claim, but they forget
    to include this other additional claim. And so in a way that is
    rhetorically powerful and philosophically grounded, he’s calling
    those folks to task and saying your philosophy is bad and your
    science is too. Get with it.

    BELTRAN: So what does this document say about the connection between
    the Catholic Church and the scientific world?

    ZENNER: One of the things that’s really interesting, and in many
    respects great about the Catholic Church, is that in the late 20th
    century especially, it has had a pretty robust engagement with
    contemporary sciences of the time. And this document continues that
    trend.

    So if you look at the citations, like scholars love to do, if you
    follow the footnotes, there are tons of citations to the
    Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, these kinds of consensus
    documents that indicate the patterns, extent and implications of
    anthropogenic climate change. And so not only are those in the
    footnotes supporting a range of claims, there’s also explicit
    numbers throughout the document.

    So I would say there’s a huge relationship between the Catholic
    Church and science in this document. Because a lot of people think,
    oh, the Catholic Church. Science. Well, Galileo, that didn’t go
    well. But when we delve into it, you know, absolutely, yes, lots of
    problems going on in that era for sure. But there are also always
    really interesting moments that religious institutions, in this
    case, the Catholic Church, can assess developments in science and
    either hunker down and refuse to engage the questions raised, or
    say, wow, this looks like a big issue. What does this mean for
    theology, for morality, and for the project of being human? And
    that’s what the Pope has chosen to do.

    BELTRAN: Christiana, what surprised you the most about Laudate Deum?

    ZENNER: What surprised me the most? Well, I think there are a few
    things. One is how pithy and direct it is. The Pope knows what he’s
    doing in this. And the structure of the apostolic exhortation, as
    well as the tone is remarkably direct, very readable, and, in many
    ways, at least from an interdisciplinary ethics perspective,
    irrefutable on the dynamics of climate change, and the science
    behind it, economic growth presumptions and the dynamics of
    consumerism, and what Pope Francis calls in a slightly more
    philosophical and theological way, the technocratic paradigm, which
    is a fetishization of economic efficiency and technological innovation.

    The presumption that those alone will solve ecological or social
    problems. So I was, really, frankly, stunned and really happy to see
    someone who is in a position of authority, yes, in a hierarchical
    patriarchal context that has massive problems. But as we saw in the
    reception of the 2015 Laudato Si’ document, he’s in a position to
    get people’s attention.

    There’s one citation in there, citation 41, of feminist philosopher
    of science, Donna Haraway. She’s an American, a long standing
    professor at the University of California Santa Cruz, someone who’s
    been very critical of normative gender hierarchies as they play out
    in the practice and conceptualization of science, and a real
    advocate for multi-species relations. So she shows up in footnote
    41, which is shocking, because she’s on record as being
    anti-Catholic, anti-institutionally-Catholic, and anti-theistic in
    that sense. So, how on earth did this citation get into the
    apostolic exhortation? And what does it mean? I am fascinated and a
    number of us are trying to dig into this.

    BELTRAN: So Pope Francis cited Donna Haraway, what did he say there?

    ZENNER: So she is cited in a section on anthropocentrism. The idea
    that humans are at the center functionally, as well as morally, of
    the earth and of theological significance. And so Pope Francis says,
    the technocratic paradigm, which he had earlier critiqued, can
    deceive us by making us forget that the entire world is a contact zone.

    And he cites this book by Donna Haraway, called When Species Meet.
    And then the section goes on to talk about well, we can’t have a
    full anthropocentrism where humans are the only or exclusive focus,
    we need a situated anthropocentrism that recognizes the
    interrelations and the limits to human centrality and power.

    It is completely fascinating that the Pope chooses to cite her or
    the Pope’s ghost writers, don’t know which one.  But it’s kind of a
    two-part thing. There’s that whole reaction of, oh my gosh, what on
    earth? And then the second part is, isn’t it interesting, that of
    all the women to cite, all of the experts who happen to be women,
    the one he cites is Donna Haraway. And not the many, many, many
    women within the Catholic Church.

    Celia Deane-Drummond, Brazilian ecofeminist liberation theologian
    Ivone Gebara, there are so many brilliant scholars who are women who
    have been working with eco-theologies and orders of nuns who have
    been implementing ideas like this that far preceded even Laudato Si’
    in 2015.

    So the citation of Haraway is doubly bizarre. Because why not cite
    women who are also engaging in the work of the church? And one
    skeptical answer is, well, there’s a long history of excluding them.
    And maybe it would mean that their critiques would have to be taken
    seriously. I don’t know. But it’s one viable hypothesis.

    BELTRAN: In Laudate Deum, Pope Francis specifically discusses COP28,
    the United Nations Climate Change Conference beginning in late
    November in Dubai. What do you make of these mentions?

    ZENNER: I think it’s really interesting and exciting that Pope
    Francis is focusing this document on COP28. So clearly, this
    document is meant to have a practical political lifestyle impact.
    And what I think is so distinctive about his approach in Laudate
    Deum, this 2023 document, is that he has a whole section on COP28.

    And he says that if we are confident in the capacity of human beings
    to transcend their petty interests, and to think in bigger terms, we
    can keep hoping that COP28 will allow for a decisive acceleration of
    energy transition with effective commitments subject to ongoing
    monitoring. And he goes on—there needs to be binding forms of energy
    transitions that meet three conditions: efficient, obligatory and
    readily monitored.

    And then he later says, and everyone needs to commit to them, it
    can’t just be a kind of exceptional thing. So I think this is pretty
    remarkable, because he’s basically saying, here’s what you guys need
    to do: get it together. And in Section 58, he has a defense of
    climate activists.

    This is really important, because around the world, we’re seeing the
    silencing and the jailing of climate activists in a range of
    contexts. And so into that space, Pope Francis says in paragraph 58,
    in conferences on the climate, the actions of groups negatively
    portrayed as radicalized, radicalized is in quotes, tend to attract
    attention. But he continues, in reality, they are filling a space
    left empty by society as a whole, which ought to exercise a healthy
    pressure.

    So this idea that there’s a need for what he calls a multilateralism
    from below, that the voices of activists, the voices of people
    affected by these things, that this matters, I think, is really,
    really significant.

    BELTRAN: And after the Pope has written and published this, what
    happens next? What are Catholics expected to do with this?

    ZENNER: On the one hand, it’s in the written record, the Vatican
    archives, as a pretty authoritative document, that anyone in the
    world or anyone of goodwill, who is the intended audience of this
    document according to Pope Francis, that anyone in the world can
    access.

    I think it will be a resource for nonprofit organizations and
    branches of the church and parish communities who really want to
    take up the call to reflect theologically and in terms of ethical
    action, and maybe even in terms of activism. I don’t know how
    priests and other formal representatives of the church, especially
    in the United States, will engage it. I think that’s one of the
    questions that remains to be seen. But as I’ve said, it’s a pretty
    fascinating, concise, pithy zinger of a document that is doing
    something exciting, so I’m interested to see what happens with it.

    BELTRAN: Christiana Zenner is an associate professor of theology,
    science and ethics at Fordham University. Christiana, thanks so much
    for taking the time with us today.

    ZENNER: Thank you for having me.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/21102023/pope-francis-exhortation-climate-change/

/[Video and text -- local television does a superior job distilling our
predicament of global warming changes ]/
*Mental health professionals see demand for conversations about climate
change*
By Michelle Alfini,
October 20, 2023
LEICESTER, N.C. — Climate change can be a touchy subject. The topic can
spark debates between those who believe and those who don’t. It can
evoke feelings of stress or guilt, or at the very least, Lisa Perry said
many of the folks she talks to, believe bringing up climate change will
kill the mood.

“Even if you talk to a lot of people, just down the street, or family or
friends or whatever and they say, ‘Oh yeah, we’re screwed. We’re
doomed,’ and then they change the subject,” she said. “In counseling
people are less likely to change the subject.”

That’s why the Leicester therapist believes her clients have been bring
up the topic more and more often in her sessions, especially after 2020.

Especially after major global disasters like wildfires or hurricanes,
Perry said she’s noticed some of her clients are eager to share their
thoughts and anxieties with someone and often that defaults to her.

“It’s just so there and it’s terrifying so people can kind of dance
around it because it’s hard to even touch,” she said.

Currently though, while the American Psychological Association
recognizes climate change can have a psychological impact, there are few
if any standard guidelines for how therapists should navigate these topics.

The Climate Psychology Alliance, a nonprofit made up of mental health
professionals is working to change that, by creating a network of what
they call “Climate Aware Therapists.” Their mission is simple, provide
resources to help psychologists validate and explore climate concerns
with their clients, and help them develop healthy outlets to manage
those concerns.

Sarah Rawleigh discovered the group when she started looking for someone
to talk to about her own climate-related anxieties.

“I myself was struggling with emotions anxiety, hopelessness, anger,”
she said.

As a clinical social worker herself, Rawleigh recognized those were
feelings psychologists are trained to manage around other subjects, so
she figured there had to be a way to explore them around climate change.
Through the alliance, she said she joined a group of other psychologists
interested in exploring the topic and she said it’s not only helped her
manage her concerns, but helped prepare her to navigate those
conversations with her clients.

“Especially in groups, people start to realize, oh I’m not alone,” she said.

Rawleigh believes that perceived isolation one of the major factors
driving the anxiety in her clients, but data shows climate concerns are
growing more and more common.

According to a study from the Yale Program on Climate Change
Communications, nearly three in four Americans believe in global warming
and 64 percent are very or somewhat worried about the phenomenon. Yet at
the same time, the study shows 59 percent of Americans underestimate how
common those concerns are.

For Perry, being a climate aware therapist means creating a space where
her clients can feel comfortable bringing up those concerns without
feeling judged or like it’s going to spark a debate.

“I’m just trying to be welcoming and it just seems to blossom,” she
said. “Sometimes it’s what’s going to happen to my home or am I going to
be able to feed myself. Do I want to have children? That constantly
comes up. If somebody does have children, how can I protect my children?”

As with other issues outside of their clients’ control, Perry said
there’s no easy answer to those questions and concerns, but so far, she
said just being a sounding board can help.

“We’re all new at this,” she said. “We’re all pioneers.”

Both Perry and Rawleigh have joined the Climate Aware Therapist
directory, but they say so far, no one has sought them out solely for to
talk about climate concerns. Instead, they say those anxieties come up
organically in session and they navigate them accordingly.

Rawleigh is also hoping to start a series of “Climate Cafés” to give
those concerned another place to talk about climate change and come up
with ways to take action.

“We’re not trying to pressure people,” she said. “It’s just more helping
them work it out themselves or inviting them to join groups.”

Michelle Alfini, wsoctv.com
Michelle is a climate reporter for Channel 9.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/mental-health-professionals-see-demand-conversations-about-climate-change/COIAKQDR2JCWREX4GDM6JGL7YU/

/[ Antarctica has long been misunderstood - video update ]/
*We need to talk about ANTARCTICA...AGAIN!!*
Just Have a Think
Oct 15, 2023
Global ocean surface temperatures are so high that climate scientists
are describing them as "off the charts". September 2023 global average
surface temperatures obliterated the previous record high, causing those
same scientists to declare the result 'shocking' and 'out of control'.
The consequences for the world's largest ice sheet are already
measurable. The 2023 Antarctic Sea ice maximum was more than a million
square kilometres lower than the previous low record. Now two scientific
research teams published data on just how bad it is likely to get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0qRoeEcKtY

- -

[here's the research Published: 29 March 2023 ]
*Abyssal ocean overturning slowdown and warming driven by Antarctic
meltwater*
Qian Li, Matthew H. England, Andrew McC. Hogg, Stephen R. Rintoul &
Adele K. Morrison
Nature volume 615, pages841–847 (2023)Cite this article

18k Accesses
15 Citations
2844 Altmetric

*Abstract*
The abyssal ocean circulation is a key component of the global
meridional overturning circulation, cycling heat, carbon, oxygen and
nutrients throughout the world ocean1,2. The strongest historical trend
observed in the abyssal ocean is warming at high southern
latitudes2,3,4, yet it is unclear what processes have driven this
warming, and whether this warming is linked to a slowdown in the ocean’s
overturning circulation. Furthermore, attributing change to specific
drivers is difficult owing to limited measurements, and because coupled
climate models exhibit biases in the region5,6,7. In addition, future
change remains uncertain, with the latest coordinated climate model
projections not accounting for dynamic ice-sheet melt. Here we use a
transient forced high-resolution coupled ocean–sea-ice model to show
that under a high-emissions scenario, abyssal warming is set to
accelerate over the next 30 years. We find that meltwater input around
Antarctica drives a contraction of Antarctic Bottom Water (AABW),
opening a pathway that allows warm Circumpolar Deep Water greater access
to the continental shelf. The reduction in AABW formation results in
warming and ageing of the abyssal ocean, consistent with recent
measurements. In contrast, projected wind and thermal forcing has little
impact on the properties, age and volume of AABW. These results
highlight the critical importance of Antarctic meltwater in setting the
abyssal ocean overturning, with implications for global ocean
biogeochemistry and climate that could last for centuries.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-05762-w

- -

/[ you may want to see the data source ]/
*Overview: Climate Model Intercomparison Project (CMIP)*
The CMIP is a standard experimental framework for studying the output of
coupled atmosphere-ocean general circulation models. This facilitates
assessment of the strengthsand weaknesses of climate models which can
enhance and focus the development of future models. For example, if the
models indicate a wide range of values either regionally or globally,
then scientists may be able to determine the cause(s) of this uncertainty.
https://climatedataguide.ucar.edu/climate-tools/climate-model-intercomparison-project-overview#:~:text=The%20CMIP%20is%20a%20standard,the%20development%20of%20future%20models.

/[ Brief and fascinating history of carbon capitalism ]/
*Why Capitalism Loves Fossil Fuels*
Our Changing Climate
Oct 20, 2023  #capitalism #history #climatechange
- -
This video leaned very heavily on Andreas Malm's book Fossil Capital.
Check it out here: https://www.versobooks.com/products/135-fossil-capital

In this Our Changing Climate climate change video essay, I look at how
the birth of industrial capitalism led to the birth of fossil fuel use
at an industrial scale. Specifically, I look at how capitalist forces
led factory owners to embrace fossil fuels over water power, despite
water being cheaper and more prevalent. Ultimately, capitalism needs
power that is both flexible in time and consistent in space and fossil
fuels were able to cater to that.

Timestamps:

    0:00 - Intro
    2:26 - The Three Energies
    4:29 - The Energy Transition Myth
    6:02 - When Water Was King
    8:35 - Rumblings in the Factories
    12:44 - Steam's Advantages
    18:49 - Why Fossil Fuels Won

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4GNcc7kgaY

- -

/[ From the publisher's web site  ]/
*Fossil Capital: The Rise of Steam Power and the Roots of Global Warming*
by Andreas Malm
The more we know about the catastrophic implications of climate change,
the more fossil fuels we burn. How did we end up in this mess?

In this masterful new history, Andreas Malm claims it all began in
Britain with the rise of steam power. But why did manufacturers turn
from traditional sources of power, notably water mills, to an engine
fired by coal? Contrary to established views, steam offered neither
cheaper nor more abundant energy—but rather superior control of
subordinate labour. Animated by fossil fuels, capital could concentrate
production at the most profitable sites and during the most convenient
hours, as it continues to do today. Sweeping from nineteenth-century
Manchester to the emissions explosion in China, from the original
triumph of coal to the stalled shift to renewables, this study hones in
on the burning heart of capital and demonstrates, in unprecedented
depth, that turning down the heat will mean a radical overthrow of the
current economic order.

Reviews

    "Malm forcefully unmasks the assumption that economic growth has
    inevitably brought us to the brink of a hothouse Earth. Rather, as
    he shows in a subtle and surprising reinterpretation of the
    Industrial Revolution, it has been the logic of capital (especially
    the need to valorize immense sunk investments in fossil fuels), not
    technology or even industrialism per se, that has driven global
    warming. "/Mike Davis, author of Planet of Slums and Ecology of Fear/

    "Fossil Capital is a theoretical masterpiece and a
    political-economic-ecological manifesto. It looks unblinkingly at
    the catastrophe that could await human society if we fail to act on
    the words System Change or Climate Change. It is a book that I will
    return to again and again—and take notes." /John Bellamy Foster,
    University of Oregon, author of Marx’s Ecology/

    "The definitive deep history on how our economic system created the
    climate crisis. Superb, essential reading from one of the most
    original thinkers on the subject."
    /Naomi Klein, author of This Changes Everything and The Shock Doctrine/

    "A unique reconceptualization of the relationship between nature,
    capitalism, and Marxism./" Jacobin/

    "The best book written about the origins of global warming ... Like
    Naomi Klein’s This Changes Everything, Fossil Capital trenchantly
    demonstrated that capitalism and capitalists are responsible for
    climate change." /Michael Robbins,  Bookforum/

    "If we are to rescue ourselves from the looming catastrophe that is
    climate change, one of our tasks must be to understand how we became
    enmeshed in an economy powered by fossil fuels. It would be hard to
    find a more illuminating book for this purpose than Fossil Capital ,
    a history of the rise of coal-fired steam power in Britain. In the
    tradition of historians such as Robert Brenner and Ellen Meiksins
    Wood, Andreas Malm gives central importance to the capitalist social
    relations in which steam power is deployed as a form of power over
    people, challenging technological determinist accounts of the rise
    of the fossil economy (that steam power was inherently more
    efficient), as well as the “ Anthropocene narrative” that sees the
    fossil economy as the inevitable outcome of human use of fire, and
    the Ricardian-Malthusian narrative that coal power was adopted
    because it was more abundant and cheaper than water." /Michael W.
    Howard,  Socialism and Democracy/

https://www.versobooks.com/products/135-fossil-capital

/[The news archive - looking back at attacks of misinformation ]/
/*October  23, 2007*/
October 23, 2007: Dr. Julie Gerberding of the Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention addresses a US Senate committee regarding the
health risks of climate change. Her testimony was extensively edited by
the Bush White House to dramatically downplay the severity of the risks.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2007/10/23/17139/gerberding-global-warming/

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/25/science/earth/24cnd-climate.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2008/07/08/174078/burnett-cheney-boiling/

http://www.c-span.org/video/?201698-1/HumanImp

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli