[✔️] September 9, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | 46 pager, Boiling Man cartoon, Deadly heatwave

Sat Sep 9 09:00:10 EDT 2023

/*September 9*//*, 2023*/

/[UN's report - boring layout of distressing words - everything must
change - right now  ]/
*Technical dialogue of the first global stocktake. Synthesis report by
the co-facilitators of the technical dialogue*
Subsidiary Body for Scientific and Technological Advice
Fifty-ninth session
https://unfccc.int/sites/default/files/resource/sb2023_09_adv.pdf

/[ Opinion cartoon ] /
*What’s worse than Burning Man? A burning planet*
We are burning a lot more than just effigies
Burning Man Boiling planet
  Illustration: Fiona Katauskas/The Guardian
Fiona Katauskas
  @fionakatauskas
Fri 8 Sep 202
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2023/sep/09/whats-worse-than-burning-man-a-burning-planet

/[ “Everything is OK until it’s not..." ]/
*Deadly humid heatwaves to spread rapidly as climate warms – study*
Small rise in global temperatures would affect hundreds of millions of
people and could cause a sharp rise in deaths
Damian Carrington Environment editor
@dpcarrington
Fri 8 Sep 2023
Life-threatening periods of high heat and humidity will spread rapidly
across the world with only a small increase in global temperatures, a
study has found, which could cause a sharp acceleration in the number of
deaths resulting from the climate crisis.

The extremes, which can be fatal to healthy people within six hours,
could affect hundreds of millions of people unused to such conditions.
As a result, heat deaths could rise quickly unless serious efforts to
prepare populations were undertaken urgently, the researcher said.

Normally, the human body cools itself by producing sweat, which
evaporates and takes heat away. But when humidity is high, evaporation
is reduced. The study used a limit based on experiments on people
showing that when combined heat and humidity, as measured by so-called
wet bulb temperature, passes 31.5C, the body is no longer able to cool
itself.

The researchers called this threshold “non-compensable heat stress”, as
sweating cannot compensate for the extreme conditions. Without cooling
aids, such as cold water, fans or air conditioning, death is likely
within hours.
- -
Of all of the different manifestations of climate change, heat is the
one that I personally worry the most about and these results have made
me more concerned,” said Carter Powis, at the University of Oxford, UK,
who led the study with colleagues at the Woodwell Climate Research
Center in the US...
“Everything is OK until it’s not and there are limits to what the human
body can tolerate when it comes to heat,” he said. “Things will keep on
chugging along hunky dory until we pass those limits and then very
abruptly, they will not be OK. Suddenly, you’ll see an acceleration in
mortality.

“What I worry about is that our bodies and our society will prove more
fragile to small changes than we think,” Powis said. “This is just
another [study] saying we need to start reducing emissions – but that’s
what we need to do.”

Dr Colin Raymond, at the University of California, Los Angeles, who was
not part of the study team, said: “Many areas are only slightly below
the non-compensable heat level now, so as the planet continues to warm,
the total increase in exposure will be exponential.

“We know the broad contours of what’s ahead, but not every last wiggle,”
he said. “But the seriousness of the extreme-heat hazard means it is
incredibly important to not be caught unprepared, and to treat heatwaves
near or above the non-compensable limit like other life-threatening
disasters. For the most severe events likely in the coming decades,
lives will depend on the availability of artificial cooling.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/sep/08/deadly-humid-heatwaves-to-spread-rapidly-as-climate-warms-study

/[ The news archive - looking back at an Al Gore quote ]/
/*September 9, 2005 */
September 9, 2005: At the National Sierra Club Convention in San
Francisco, Al Gore declares:

    "There are scientific warnings now of another onrushing catastrophe.
    We were warned of an imminent attack by Al Qaeda; we didn't respond.
    We were warned the levees would break in New Orleans; we didn't
    respond. Now, the scientific community is warning us that the
    average hurricane will continue to get stronger because of global
    warming. A scientist at MIT has published a study well before this
    tragedy showing that since the 1970s, hurricanes in both the
    Atlantic and the Pacific have increased in duration, and in
    intensity, by about 50%. The newscasters told us after Hurricane
    Katrina went over the southern tip of Florida that there was a
    particular danger for the Gulf Coast of the hurricanes becoming much
    stronger because it was passing over unusually warm waters in the
    gulf. The waters in the gulf have been unusually warm. The oceans
    generally have been getting warmer. And the pattern is exactly
    consistent with what scientists have predicted for twenty years. Two
    thousand scientists, in a hundred countries, engaged in the most
    elaborate, well organized scientific collaboration in the history of
    humankind, have produced long-since a consensus that we will face a
    string of terrible catastrophes unless we act to prepare ourselves
    and deal with the underlying causes of global warming. It is
    important to learn the lessons of what happens when scientific
    evidence and clear authoritative warnings are ignored in order to
    induce our leaders not to do it again and not to ignore the
    scientists again and not to leave us unprotected in the face of
    those threats that are facing us right now."

http://web.archive.org/web/20050924210135/http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0912-32.htm

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli