[✔️] April 4, 2024 Global Warming News | Methane activism, NYC demands attention, 57 companies do 80%, 2002 Bush releases gas

Thu Apr 4 08:45:20 EDT 2024

/*April *//*4, 2024*/

/[ important ACTION PLAYBOOK: ]/
*Regulate Methane Emissions*
Take Action

*1. Find your utility regulators*
Almost all energy utility companies either purchase or generate energy
from fossil gas. Some operate their own gas-fired power plants, while
others purchase gas-fired electricity to resell in retail markets.
Utility companies are also responsible for delivering gas directly to
homes and commercial buildings for heating and cooking.
- - https://www.naruc.org/about-naruc/our-mission/regulatory-commissions/
Every state has a commission that regulates utilities. These regulatory
bodies come with a variety of names, but most are a version of Public
Utilities Commission or Public Service Commission. Public utilities
commissions (PUCs) play a role in regulating the natural gas
distribution chain regardless of whether utilities are generating their
own electricity.

To find your state’s utility regulators, open the map below, click on
your state, and keep the tab open displaying your commissioners’ phone
numbers. You should see 3–5 commissioners, though a few states have as
many as 7.
- -
*2. Call each commissioner*
Next, give each office number a call. Personalize the script below for
an authentic message (or write your own from scratch!). This script
works no matter what type of utility regulation structure you have, but
feel free to make it more specific using outside research on your
state’s regulatory environment.

You’ll want to start by identifying your status as a resident of the
state, then make sure to be concise and specific. Be polite, but don’t
be afraid to get personal. There’s no shame in practicing before you
call! The current script should take about 2 minutes to communicate.

If they don’t pick up, don’t worry—your voicemail will be documented.
And if you prefer to leave a voicemail rather than talk to a real
person, call after hours.

📞 Call Script: Methane Regulation

    Hello, my name is _______, and I'm a resident of _________. I'm
    calling today to express my concerns about methane pollution from
    our utilities and to discuss how our Public Utilities Commission
    [swap in the correct name] can play a key role in cleaning up our grid.

    As you’re probably aware, methane has 80X the global warming effect
    of carbon dioxide in the short term. It concerns me that methane
    leaks from the natural gas supply chain can actually negate the
    environmental benefits of using natural gas over coal. And methane
    poses a safety hazard due to its explosive potential.

    As a [parent? resident? scientist? someone who cares about climate
    change?], I think it’s imperative that our utilities are held to the
    highest possible standards. [ADD A SENTENCE EXPLAINING WHY CLIMATE
    ISSUES MATTER TO YOU.]

    I urge you to take stronger action in regulating methane emissions
    from utilities, like imposing stricter leak detection standards,
    efficiency requirements for aging gas infrastructure, or
    rate-setting and rules that help incentivize cleaner sources of
    electricity. You can also impose regulations that encourage the
    switch from gas heating and cooking to electrification.

    Can the Commission share what steps are currently being taken to
    address methane pollution? Please feel free to call me back at
    __________ or email me at ____________. Thanks so much for your time.

*3. Ask a friend to do it, too *
Network effects are powerful. Persuading friends and family to take
climate action is a crucial step toward changing cultural norms and
making real progress. Now that you’ve contacted your public utilities
commissioners, send a note to a friend along with this playbook or the
Climate Town video and ask them to email their own regulators. Bonus
points if you happen to know someone who has real clout with their state
government and you feel comfortable asking them.
https://www.climatechangemakers.org/methane-regulation-all-access?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email
- -
/[ Find your commissioner - then call in an anti-methane leak rant  ]/
*National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners*
Regulatory Commissions
https://www.naruc.org/about-naruc/our-mission/regulatory-commissions/

/[ Reuters  ]/
*Citi, JPMorgan, RBC to give new climate metric in deals with New York City
*By Ross Kerber and Mehnaz Yasmin
April 3, 2024  (Reuters)
Citigroup (C.N), opens new tab, JPMorgan (JPM.N), opens new tab and
Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) (RY.TO), opens new tab will disclose a new
climate metric under agreements between New York City Comptroller Brad
Lander and the three large North American banks.
Lander, who oversees public retirement assets, said on Wednesday that
the three banks will disclose their ratio of financing for low-carbon
energy projects compared with their financing for fossil fuel projects...
A JPMorgan spokesperson said the bank found common ground with Lander on
disclosing a clean energy financing ratio, with an understanding it
would take some time and resources to develop a decision-useful approach...
"We plan to disclose a clean energy supply financing ratio in our 2024
Climate Report as it aligns to our strategic objectives," she said in an
email. "Transparency and advanced disclosures on climate performance are
critical to showing the progress we are making."
https://www.reuters.com/sustainability/sustainable-finance-reporting/citi-jpmorgan-rbc-give-new-climate-metric-deals-with-new-york-city-2024-04-03/

/[ Measuring MeCCO  Media and Climate Change Observatory  ]/
*Sounding the red alert to the world*
Issue 87, March 2024
March media coverage of climate change or global warming in newspapers
around the globe went up 10% from February 2024. However, coverage in
March was still down 23% from March 2023 levels. Of particular note, in
March international wire services increased 13% from the previous month,
while radio coverage dropped 3% from the previous month. Our Media and
Climate Change Observatory (MeCCO) team has detected that the first
three months of global print coverage has seen a drop 20% compared to
the first three months of 2023. Figure 1 shows trends in newspaper media
coverage at the global scale – organized into seven geographical regions
around the world – from January 2004 through March 2024.
--
https://sciencepolicy.colorado.edu/icecaps/research/media_coverage/summaries/images/87/figure1.jpg
Figure 1. Newspaper media coverage of climate change or global warming

At the regional level, March 2024 coverage increased in all regions from
the previous month (except in Africa, which dropped 22%): the European
Union (EU) rose 2%, Latin America shot up 9%, North America climbed 12%,
Asia coverage increased 13% [see Figure 2], and Middle East and Oceania
climate change news each surged 50%.
- -
https://sciencepolicy.colorado.edu/icecaps/research/media_coverage/summaries/images/87/figure2.jpg
Most of the world’s oil and gas companies agreed to slash their methane
emissions by more than 80 percent by 2030 at last year’s COP28 climate
conference, and policymakers are working to hold them to that promise.
U.S. regulators proposed steep fines on methane emissions in January and
struck a deal with regulators in Europe, Japan, South Korea and
Australia last year to monitor fossil fuel companies’ methane emissions.
But so far, it’s been hard to track companies’ progress. There are
thousands of oil and gas facilities around the world with countless
pieces of equipment that can leak or malfunction and release methane,
which is odorless and invisible to the naked eye. Companies and
regulators can measure some emissions by installing methane detectors or
using planes or drones to fly sensors over a facility, but the data is
incomplete and hard to compare between companies. Now, a new generation
of satellites, led by MethaneSAT, promises to give a more complete
picture of the oil and gas industry’s global methane emissions”.
MeCCO | University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309 mecco.colorado.edu
https://sciencepolicy.colorado.edu/icecaps/research/media_coverage/summaries/issue87.html

/[ few companies doing the worst ]/
*Just 57 companies linked to 80% of greenhouse gas emissions since 2016*
Analysis reveals many big producers increased output of fossil fuels and
related emissions in seven years after Paris climate deal

Jonathan Watts Global environment editor
Wed 3 Apr 2024
A mere 57 oil, gas, coal and cement producers are directly linked to 80%
of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions since the 2016 Paris climate
agreement, a study has shown.

This powerful cohort of state-controlled corporations and
shareholder-owned multinationals are the leading drivers of the climate
crisis, according to the Carbon Majors Database, which is compiled by
world-renowned researchers.

Although governments pledged in Paris to cut greenhouse gases, the
analysis reveals that most mega-producers increased their output of
fossil fuels and related emissions in the seven years after that climate
agreement, compared with the seven years before...
- -
In the database of 122 of the world’s biggest historical climate
polluters, the researchers found that 65% of state entities and 55% of
private-sector companies had scaled up production.
During this period, the biggest investor-owned contributor to emissions
was ExxonMobil of the United States, which was linked to 3.6 gigatonnes
of CO2 over seven years, or 1.4% of the global total. Close behind were
Shell, BP, Chevron and TotalEnergies, each of which was associated with
at least 1% of global emissions.

The most striking trend, however, was the surging growth of emissions
related to state and state-owned producers, particularly in the Asian
coal sector.

This expansion, which has continued since, runs contrary to a stark
warning by the International Energy Agency that no new oil and gas
fields can be opened if the world is to stay within safe limits of
global heating. Climate scientists say global temperatures are rapidly
approaching the lower Paris target of 1.5C above the pre-industrial era,
with potentially dire consequences for people and the rest of nature.

“It is morally reprehensible for companies to continue expanding
exploration and production of carbon fuels in the face of knowledge now
for decades that their products are harmful,” said Richard Heede, who
established the Carbon Majors dataset in 2013. “Don’t blame consumers
who have been forced to be reliant on oil and gas due to government
capture by oil and gas companies.”
- -
The Carbon Majors research has helped to change the narrative about
responsibility for the climate crisis by apportioning emissions to the
entities that profit from taking fossil fuels out of the ground rather
than the individuals that later burn and discharge them in the form of
emissions. This ongoing study has been cited in climate lawsuits and was
the basis for the Guardian’s 2019 series, The Polluters, which named and
shamed the 20 companies behind a third of all carbon emissions.

The database has now been updated and was relaunched on Thursday on a
dedicated public access website, which is hosted by InfluenceMap.

It includes a striking comparison between long-term emissions trends
dating back to 1854, and more recent developments since the 2016 Paris deal.

The historical record encompasses 122 entities linked to 72% of all the
fossil fuel and cement CO2 emissions since the start of the industrial
revolution, which amounts to 1,421 gigatonnes.

In this long-term analysis, Chinese state coal production accounts for
14% of historic global C02, the biggest share by far in the database.
This is more than double the proportion of the former Soviet Union,
which is in second place, and more than three times higher than that of
Saudi Aramco, which is in third.

Then comes the big US companies – Chevron (3%) and ExxonMobil (2.8%),
followed by Russian’s Gazprom and the National Iranian Oil Company.
After that are two investor-owned European firms: BP and Shell (each
with more than 2%) and then Coal India.

The 21st century rise of Asia becomes apparent when the historical
records are compared with data from 2016-2022. In this recent period,
the China coal share leaps to more than a quarter of all CO2 emission,
while Saudi Aramco goes up to nearly 5%. The top 10 in this modern era
is dominated by Chinese and Russian state entities and filled out with
those from India and Iran. Western capitalism does not appear until the
11th placed ExxonMobil with 1.4%, half of its historical average.

The picture may change again in the future. The United States is by far
the world’s biggest oil and gas producer even if operations are
fragmented among many different companies rather than one state
behemoth. President Biden has granted licences to multiple new
exploration projects. Gulf states are also planning to step up their output.

ExxonMobil, Chevron, BP and Shell all have net zero emissions targets,
though their definitions of that goal and methods to achieve it vary.
Many of the companies on the list have made some investments in
renewable energy.

Daan Van Acker, program manager at InfluenceMap, said many of the
entities in the Carbon Majors database were moving in the wrong
direction for climate stability. “InfluenceMap’s new analysis shows that
this group is not slowing down production, with most entities increasing
production after the Paris agreement. This research provides a crucial
link in holding these energy giants to account on the consequences of
their activities.”

Heede argues that fossil fuel producers have a moral obligation to pay
for the damages they have caused and exacerbated through their delaying
tactics. He cites the proposal made by Mia Mottley, the prime minister
of Barbados, for oil and gas companies to contribute at least 10 cents
in every dollar to a loss and damage fund.

He was also encouraged by actions to hold fossil fuel firms to account.
As examples, he cited the billboards that sprang up in Houston, Texas,
after a hurricane that declared: “We Know Who Is To Blame” beside the
names of oil companies, or the campaign in Vermont to create a climate
superfund paid for by polluters that would allay the rising costs from
floods, storms and heatwaves.

“This is a threat to civilisation as we know it,” he said. “If business
as usual continues we won’t have a livable planet for our children and
grandchildren. We must collect political, corporate and political will
to avoid the worst threat that climate change poses. We can do this.”

The Guardian approached Exxon, BP, Chevron, Total Energies, Coal India,
Saudi Aramco and Gazprom for comment.

A spokesperson for Shell said: “Shell is committed to becoming a
net-zero emissions energy business by 2050, a target we believe supports
the more ambitious goal of the Paris agreement to limit global warming
to 1.5C above pre-industrial levels. We continue to make good progress
on our climate targets, and by the end of 2023, we had achieved more
than 60% of our target to halve Scope 1 and 2 emissions from our
operations by 2030, compared with 2016.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/apr/04/just-57-companies-linked-to-80-of-greenhouse-gas-emissions-since-2016

/[The news archive -  ]/
/*April 4, 2002 */

April 4, 2002: The New York Times reports:

"President Bush signed an executive order last year that closely
resembles a written recommendation given to the administration two
months earlier by the American Gas Association, according to documents
released by the Bush administration.

"The executive order called for the creation of an interagency energy
task force to accelerate the time it takes for government agencies to
review corporations' applications for permits for energy-related
projects, like power plants and the exploration of oil and natural gas
on public lands. Mr. Bush signed the order last May.

"The language in Mr. Bush's executive order is similar to a passage in a
proposed energy bill sent in March 2001 to the Energy Department by
officials at the American Gas Association, the trade group that
represents large natural gas companies and has given more than $500,000
to the Republican Party since 1999."

Privacy and Security: *This mailing is text-only -- and carries no
images or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli

===