[✔️] April 17, 2024 Global Warming News | Dubai flooding, Disinfo, Climate activists, Wildland firefighting, 2008 Nancy and Newt on the couch

Wed Apr 17 06:57:37 EDT 2024

/*April 17*//*, 2024*/

/[ unexpected images 2 mins ]/
*Nature has brought the UAE to its knees! The worst flooding in decades
in Dubai*
Painful Earth Short
  Apr 17, 2024  ДУБАЙ
Nature has brought the UAE to its knees! The worst flooding in decades
in Dubai. Natural disaster 16 April 2024.

A powerful hurricane has struck the United Arab Emirates, causing severe
flooding in the capital and one of the country's leading metropolises,
Dubai.
Heavy rains have submerged major roads in the city, with water reaching
into shopping centers as well.
The city's metro system is already inundated, adding to the chaos caused
by the deluge.
The inclement weather persists in the Emirates' capital, with the storm
showing no signs of abating.
Authorities are working to manage the crisis and ensure the safety of
residents amidst the ongoing tempest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mne4FFJYhAg

/[ Big Oil tries to hide the climate crisis ]/
*How to spot five of the fossil fuel industry’s biggest disinformation
tactics*
Amy Westervelt and Kyle Pope have covered climate disinformation for a
combined 20-plus years – here’s their guide on how to decode it
Increasingly sophisticated and better-funded disinformation is making
climate coverage trickier both for journalists to produce and for the
public to fully understand and trust.

But telling the story, and understanding it, has never been more urgent
with half of Earth’s population eligible to vote in elections that could
decisively impact the world’s ability to act in time to stave off the
worst of the climate crisis.

Swayed for 30 years by fossil fuel industry propaganda, the media has
been as likely to unknowingly amplify falsehoods as they were to bat
them down. It’s only in recent years that more journalists started to
shy away from “both-sides-ing” the climate crisis – decades after
scientists reached an overwhelming consensus on the scope of the problem
and its causes.

The good news is that while the fossil fuel industry’s PR tactics have
shifted, the stories they’re telling don’t change much from year to
year, they are just adapted depending on what’s happening in the world.

When politicians talk about how much it will cost to act on climate
change, for example, they almost always refer to economic models
commissioned by the fossil fuel industry, which leave out the cost of
inaction, which rises with every passing year. When politicians say that
climate policies will increase the cost of gas or energy, they count on
reporters having no idea how gas or energy pricing works, or how much
fossil fuel companies’ production decisions, not to mention lobbying for
particular fossil fuel subsidies or against policies that support
renewable energy, impact those prices.

*1  Energy security*
 From fueling wars to preserving national security, the fossil fuel
industry loves to trumpet its role in keeping the world safe, even when
it is engaging in geopolitical brinksmanship that makes everyone
decidedly less so. In the context of national security, it’s worth
noting that the US military started funding net-zero programs back in
2012 and listing climate change as a threat multiplier in its
Quadrennial Defense Review a decade ago. But oil companies and their
trade groups ignore that reality and instead insist the threat is in
reducing fossil fuel dependence.
We’ve seen this recently in the industry’s messaging around the
Russia-Ukraine war, when it mobilized even before Putin to push the idea
that a global liquified natural gas (LNG) boom was a fix to short-term
energy shortages in Europe. The industry has been noticeably quiet on
the Israel-Palestine war, but is pushing general “we keep you safe”
messaging that emphasizes global instability. In the US, energy security
narratives often have nationalistic undertones, with messages pushing
the global environmental and security benefits of US fossil fuel over
that from countries like Qatar or Russia.

It is true that energy self-sufficiency contributes to any nation’s
stability, but there’s no rule that says energy has to come from
hydrocarbons. In fact, it’s well-documented that depending on an energy
source vulnerable to the whims of world commodity markets and global
conflicts is a recipe for volatility.

*2 The economy v the environment*
In 1944, when it looked like the second world war would end soon, PR
guru Earl Newsom pulled together his corporate clients–including
Standard Oil of New Jersey (ExxonMobil today), Ford, GM and Procter &
Gamble – and crafted a top secret post-war strategy to keep the US
public convinced of the “worth of the free enterprise system”.

 From school curricula to Hollywood-crafted animated shorts to industry
presentations to media interviews, the fossil fuel industry has hammered
these themes repeatedly for decades. And, in a classic move, industry
spokespeople point to studies that industry groups, like the American
Petroleum Institute, commission as proof that taking care of the
environment is bad for the economy.
In 2021, a peer-reviewed paper entitled “Weaponizing Economics” tracked
the activity of a group of economic consultants who were hired by the
petroleum industry for decades. “They produced analyses that were then
used by both companies and politicians … to tell the public that it
would just be way too expensive to act on climate, and that in any case,
climate change was not going to be a big deal, so the best thing to do
would be to do nothing,” the paper’s co-author Ben Franta, head of the
Climate Litigation Lab at Oxford University, said.

These tactics also show up in ads that remind us to balance a desire for
reduced emissions with the need to keep the economy going. One BP ad
recently running on NPR, New York Times and Washington Post podcasts
states that oil and gas equals jobs and argues for adding renewables,
rather than replacing fossil fuels.

*3 ‘We make your life work’*
The fossil fuel industry loves to argue that it makes the world work –
from keeping the lights on to keeping us riveted by smart phones and TV,
and clothed in fast fashion. It’s genius: create a product, create
demand for the product, and then shift the blame to consumers not just
for buying it but also for its associated impacts.
“Basically it’s a propaganda campaign,” said Brown University
environmental sociologist Robert Brulle. “And you don’t have to use the
words ‘climate change’. What they’re doing is they’re seeding in the
collective unconscious the idea that fossil fuels equals progress and
the good life.”

Advertisements like Energy Transfer Partners’ “Our Lives Are Petroleum”
campaign, which has been running since 2021, also serve the purpose of
shaming people into keeping quiet on climate unless they have
successfully rid their own lives of hydrocarbons. The logic goes: if you
use a phone or drive a car, or really, if you live in the modern world
at all, you’re the problem. Not the companies that have worked for
decades to make their products seem indispensable and block any
alternatives to them.

*4 ‘We’re part of the solution’*
Nothing keeps away regulation like promises of voluntary solutions that
make it seem like the fossil fuel industry is really trying. In a 2020
exposé, Greenpeace’s investigative newsroom, Unearthed, caught an Exxon
lobbyist on camera explaining this tactic had worked with a carbon tax
to head off emissions regulations and how the company was pursuing the
same strategy with plastic. Working with the American Chemistry Council
to roll out voluntary measures like “advanced recycling”, the lobbyist,
Keith McCoy, said the goal was to “get ahead of government intervention”.

As with climate change, McCoy explained, if the industry can make it
seem as though it was working on solutions, it could keep outright bans
on single-use plastics at bay. Today, this narrative shows up in the
industry’s push for carbon capture, biofuels, and methane-based hydrogen
solutions like blue, purple, and turquoise hydrogen. We also see it in
the industry’s embrace of the term “low carbon” to describe not only
fossil fuel–enabling solutions like carbon capture, but also “natural
gas”, which industry lobbyists are successfully selling to politicians
as a climate solution.

*5 ‘The world’s greatest neighbor’*
Just in case people still aren’t accepting of dirty air, dirty water and
climate change, the fossil fuel industry funds museums, sports,
aquariums, and schools, serving the dual purpose of cleaning up its
image and making communities feel dependent on the industry and thus
less likely to criticize it.

Both journalists and their audiences have more power to combat climate
disinformation than it might feel when they’re awash in it.
Understanding the industry’s classic narratives is a good starting point.

Debunking false claims is a critical next step.

/Amy Westervelt is an award-winning investigative climate journalist,
founder of Critical Frequency, and executive editor of Drilled Media
Kyle Pope is executive director of strategic initiatives and co-founder
of Covering Climate Now, and a former editor and publisher of the
Columbia Journalism Review/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/apr/14/climate-disinformation-explainer

/[ information causes change ]/
*These Climate Activists Make People Uncomfortable — And It’s Working*
Last week, guerilla activists at Climate Defiance recounted the powerful
people they’ve made uncomfortable, and used that power to raise real money
BY ANDREW PEREZ
APRIL 14, 2024
Outside of the Climate Emergency Fund, a Los Angeles-based nonprofit
that funds organizations that lead disruptive climate actions, Greenberg
told the crowd, there are few foundations willing to finance his group’s
work, which has included bird-dogging politicians like coal baron Sen.
Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) or ExxonMobil CEO Darren Woods.

“If we are to keep doing this work, it will be because people in this
room give us money,” he said, calling on one donor in the room to give
$20,000. His rationale for that number was a bit convoluted — honestly,
it was a lot to follow — yet powerful nonetheless.

Climate Defiance’s targeted, disruptive activism played a key role in
convincing the Biden administration to pause a decision on whether to
approve CP2, a liquefied natural-gas (LNG) export terminal that would be
the largest in the United States — and also temporarily pause all
pending decisions on new LNG export projects. As Greenberg noted at the
event, the White House specifically included a quote from Climate
Defiance in a press release about its decision to pause new LNG decisions.

“If you stopped all proposed LNG build-out, that’s the equivalent of
stopping 500 coal plants,” Greenberg said, extrapolating from there to
suggest his group’s activities last year ultimately “had the impact of
shutting down 25 coal plants.”

He continued: “Our annual budget is about $500,000 per year. So
$500,000, divided by the 25 coal plant equivalents we’ve shut down,
shows that for every $20,000, you have the impact of shutting down the
equivalent of one coal plant.”
When he finally made the ask, it worked almost immediately: A man
pledged $20,000 on the spot.

“That is incredible. I am blown away,” Greenberg said, before asking if
anyone else was ready to give $20,000. It worked, again, as a foundation
executive pledged to give that much, too.

Greenberg asked again: “Is there one more person ready to make a $20,000
commitment to Climate Defiance?”

After some awkward silence, Steven Donziger — an environmental justice
lawyer who was imprisoned and held under house arrest for nearly three
years due to his role in a $9.5 billion judgment against Chevron —
stepped in and joked, “The discomfort is part of the strategy.”

“The New Republic ran a piece on Climate Defiance, which was otherwise a
very nice piece,” Greenberg said, “but they said that I am ‘lanky and
awkward.’ So then I quote tweeted [them] and said, ‘Nobody has ever
called me ‘lanky.’” He explained, “I think part of why I’m able to do
this is that I don’t always get too concerned about social norms.”

After lowering the ask to $10,000, Greenberg joked that Sen. Amy
Klobuchar (D-Minn.) “once told me that I take things too far — but
tonight, I am ready to prove her absolutely right.”
[...]

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/climate-defiance-activism-uncomfortable-1235004241/?wpisrc=nl_climatecoach

/[ summer camp pays for youth to work ]/
*Low Wages and Health Risks Are Crippling the U.S. Wildland Firefighting
Forces*
At the end of February, a curtain of flames engulfed the Texas
Panhandle, eventually marking the state’s largest wildfire in history.
The blaze was merciless, burning through more than 1 million acres of
land and swallowing houses whole.

While many residents in this region fled to safer ground, a small
contingent ran toward the inferno to help stifle it. After a grueling
three-week battle, Texas firefighters managed to fully contain the epic
wildfire in mid-March.

Each year, thousands of wildland firefighters put their lives on the
line to face similar battles across the U.S., particularly along the
West Coast. As climate change accelerates, warming temperatures and
drier conditions are fueling longer and more severe fire seasons, which
are pushing U.S. firefighters to their limits.

In the first three months of 2024, wildfires tore through around 2,660
square miles of land, more than half of last year’s total annual area
burned, reports the Associated Press. Many firefighters argue that they
are not getting the government support they need to take on these
increasingly dangerous conditions.

Burning Up: In March, ProPublica published a sprawling investigation
about how top federal agencies are failing U.S. wildland firefighters.
The main issues boil down to low wages and a lack of support for
job-related health threats, of which there are many.

Beyond the obvious hazards of clocking into work in an active fire zone,
wildland firefighters are exposed to a variety of long-term threats—from
carcinogens in the smoke and ash to “forever chemicals” in firefighter
foam known as PFAS, which has been linked to various types of cancer.

But another threat is silently simmering among the people who fight the
flames: suicide risk. In 2022, my colleague Liza Gross wrote about the
rising reports of suicide and depression among wildland firefighters—and
the need to better study these risks.

“It’s a job skill to be able to manage personal discomfort, physical
discomfort, emotional discomfort and stress while working in
high-demand, high-consequence occupations,” Patricia O’Brien, who worked
as a wildland firefighter for 15 years and now oversees the Bureau of
Land Management’s mental health program, told Inside Climate News. “But
it can be really difficult to shift gears and switch that off.”

Despite the high health costs associated with this job, compensation
remains low, starting at around $15 an hour for permanent firefighters
employed by the U.S. Forest Service, which manages the majority of the
country’s wildfire response efforts. Now, the Forest Service is
struggling to hold the frontlines of its firefighting brigades, with a
45 percent attrition rate among its permanent employees in the past
three years and fewer new individuals applying, according to
ProPublica’s analysis.

“The ship is sinking,” Abel Martinez, a Forest Service engine captain in
California and the national fire chair for the National Federation of
Federal Employees, told ProPublica.

Firefighter Reform: Wildland firefighters are classified by different
tiers based on their qualifications and areas of expertise, often
requiring years of training to learn how to manage teams during large
fires like those that ravaged the Texas Panhandle. In the past few
years, however, employees with less experience have been forced to
tackle more complex blazes than they are prepared for.

In the face of growing fire risks—and shrinking firefighter staff—the
Forest Service is testing a new business model this season by deploying
44 leadership teams to help handle this next generation of infernos,
reports the Associated Press. Additionally, as fire seasons become
longer, federal offices say they will be hiring more permanent positions
rather than seasonal crew members, which have traditionally made up more
than a third of the wildland firefighting workforce.

Last year, the Forest Service launched a mental health support program,
but it’s still within early planning stages and far behind similar
programs run through the Bureau of Land Management, critics say. Within
the Senate, there is a push to permanently increase pay for wildland
firefighters, though the bill has not yet been voted on.

“By the time I left fire in 2020, half the temps on my crew were living
in their cars and sleeping literally down by the river because
gentrification from remote work had sent housing prices in mountain
towns skyrocketing,” Christopher Benz, a former wildland firefighter and
writer, recently wrote in an op-ed for The Washington Post. “If the
nation wants experienced firefighters to stay in the job, it should just
raise the base pay.”

However, in California, a new—and darkly ironic—issue is arising:
Firehouses are struggling to get fire insurance as risks become too high
for insurers. State senators and representatives from the California
Department of Forestry and Fire Protection discussed this situation at a
Senate budget subcommittee hearing in Sacramento on April 11, reports
Politico.

Aside from the area burned already, the National Interagency Fire Center
forecasts project a slow start to this fire season overall due to wet
conditions across many parts of the country. However, the outlook shows
high wildfire risk throughout the Midwest, Southwest and Hawaii, which
has just started to recover from its last major wildfire last August.

With climate-fueled fires exposing the issues in of the nation’s
firefighting system, it’s going to be difficult for reforms to match the
pace that flames are spreading.
More Top Climate News

In March, I wrote about scientists predicting that rising ocean
temperatures were pushing the world toward its fourth mass coral
bleaching event.

Welp, the prediction has officially come true, the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration and international partners announced Monday.
And federal officials say that this could be the most widespread mass
coral bleaching event in history. Bleaching occurs when ocean water
temperatures become too warm and cause corals to expel the algae living
in their tissues, turning their color white.

Around the world, 54 countries and nations—from Kenya to Indonesia—have
confirmed bleaching events in their waters, reports The New York Times.
Last year, bleaching hit several previously unaffected reef areas and
corals that were not deeply affected in the past, such as soft corals in
Florida, which my colleague Bob Berwyn covered.

“That was completely unexpected,” Derek Manzello, coordinator of NOAA’s
Coral Reef Watch, told Inside Climate News. “What ended up happening is,
they got hit with so much heat so fast, they just kind of disintegrated.
They started sloughing off their tissues. That was definitely one of the
most shocking things to me last year.”

Meanwhile marine upwelling is driving cold snaps in other pockets of the
ocean, which could be killing sharks, a new study suggests. In these
events, strong winds and ocean currents can push cold water to the
surface, causing a rapid change in temperature that some marine life may
struggle to survive, the researchers say.

“Climate change is actually really complex,” Nicolas Lubitz, lead author
of the study and a researcher at James Cook University in Queensland,
Australia, told CNN. “It’s not just warming of the globe, but it’s
really changing the way our oceans function.”
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/16042024/todays-climate-firefighters-climate-change-health/#:~:text=Burning%20Up%3A%20In%20March%2C%20ProPublica,of%20which%20there%20are%20many.

/[The news archive - the last moment when Republicans agreed with
Democrats and facing reality.  ]/
/*April 17, 2008  -- *Nancy and Newt on the couch /
April 17, 2008:
Al Gore's Alliance for Climate Protection releases a commercial
featuring House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a Democrat, and former House
Speaker Newt Gingrich, a Republican, calling for a bipartisan effort to
address human-caused climate change. Gingrich is rhetorically flogged by
right-wing bloggers for participating in the commercial, and later
disavows it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi6n_-wB154
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1COYhkzEXPI

Privacy and Security: *This mailing is text-only -- and carries no
images or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli

===