[✔️] April 22, 2024 Global Warming News | Tipping points, Getting honest on the Human Predicament, Accelerating debate, 1992 Bill Clinton

Mon Apr 22 10:02:57 EDT 2024

/*April *//*22, 2024*/

[ continuing understanding of tipping points - Beckwith reading ]
*Cascading Tipping Points and Early Warning Signals showing a Critical
Slowing Down
*Paul Beckwith
Apr 21, 2024
I chat about tipping point cascades in the climate system and Early
Warming Signals that show we are rapidly approaching a multitude of
tipping points.

A good analogy is that of dominos, we often think of one chain of
dominos, where one topples the next, and so on until they all fall down.
Some tipping points are like this, but the AMOC collapse would be more
like parallel chains of dominos, where one domino tipping hits 2 or 3
other dominos simultaneously, causing a multitude of tipping chains,
which is a greatly magnified effect.

Let’s say the first thing that tips is the Arctic Sea Ice loss and then
massive Greenland Ice Sheet calving. This would inject large amounts of
fresh water into the Arctic, and the lighter water could shut down the
AMOC. This would cool the whole high-latitude Northern hemisphere. Thus,
it would stabilize and regrow Arctic Sea Ice, Greenland, and slow down
and even reverse permafrost loss. The Southern Hemisphere would warm,
the ITCZ would shift southward, tropical monsoons would shift southward,
the ENSO would likely change to a near permanent El Niño, and we would
really be in a different world. Eventually, the warming in the north
would re-establish itself and come to dominate the cooling effects with
a vengeance.

Via statistical analysis on the dynamics of system change, we have
various Early Warning System (EWS) indicators that give us some clues as
to how close we are to thresholds of various Earth system tipping
elements. Importantly, most systems exhibit a critical slowing down as
they lose resilience when we near threshold of tipping; this is
reflected in an increase in the autocorrelation functions. I chat about
the many tipping elements that are showing these EWS signs in an
alarming way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi4bqZ_0TEM

/[ This is some interesting but twisted info of what Texas is telling
teachers -  start about 25 mins in ]/
*Getting Honest About the Human Predicament | 2024 Teacher Workshop*
Texas Envirothon
  Feb 25, 2024
2024 Teacher Workshop
Getting Honest About the Human Predicament
Presented by Art Berman, Director and Geological Consultant, Labyrinth
Consulting Services

Website https://www.uhcl.edu/texas-envirothon
Facebook   / texasenvirothon
Instagram   / texasenvirothon
Twitter   / texasenvirothon

The mission of the Texas Envirothon is to develop knowledgeable,
skilled, and dedicated citizens who are willing and prepared to work
toward achieving a balance between the quality of life and the quality
of the environment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQm2wt7-kPU

/[ an excellent, deep discussion with a climate scientist ]/
*Accelerating” Debate on Global Warming: Interview with Dr. Zeke Hausfather*
Climate Chat
Streamed April 21, 2024
In this Climate Chat episode, we interview Dr. Zeke Hausfather about the
recent acceleration in global temperatures and the debate in the climate
science community about the cause. We will also discuss the risk of
crossing 2ºC and how that compares to others risks that society faces.
We will also cover the need for carbon dioxide removal (CDR) and
sunlight reflection methods (SRM).

Dr. Zeke Hausfather is the climate research lead at Stripe Climate and a
contributing author to the IPCC Sixth Assessment Report. He is also a
contributor to CarbonBrief and a climate scientist at BerkeleyEarth. He
spent 10 years working as a data scientist and entrepreneur in the
cleantech sector, where he was the lead data scientist at Essess, the
chief scientist at C3.ai, and the cofounder and chief scientist of
Efficiency 2.0. He also worked as a scientist with The Breakthrough
Institute and was the senior climate analyst at Project Drawdown. He has
masters degrees in environmental science from Yale University and Vrije
Universiteit Amsterdam and a PhD in climate science from the University
of California, Berkeley.

Link to piece on acceleration and near-term projections:
https://www.carbonbrief.org/factcheck-why-the-recent-acceleration-in-global-warming-is-what-scientists-expect/

For more Climate Chat episodes, see our YouTube home page: / @climatechat
https://youtu.be/LoegRrN-yvw?t=31

/[The news archive -  Pres Bill Clinton warns ]/
/*April 22, 1992 */

April 22, 1992: In a speech at Drexel University in Philadelphia,
Democratic presidential candidate Bill Clinton lays out his
environmental vision. Early in the speech, he notes, "Our addiction to
fossil fuels is wrapping the earth in a deadly shroud of greenhouse gases."

http://c-spanvideo.org/program/ClintonCampaignSpeech7

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/04/23/us/the-1992-campaign-environment-clinton-links-ecology-plans-with-jobs.html?pagewanted=print

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-04-23/news/mn-1311_1_environmental-record

Privacy and Security: *This mailing is text-only -- and carries no
images or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli

===