[✔️] April 23, 2024 Global Warming News | New Footprints, Water temps, Mass immiseration, Behavioral economics, Sport floodings, 2007 McCain

Tue Apr 23 09:06:44 EDT 2024

/*April *//*23, 2024*/

/[ revise the carbon footprint - helpful tier list - new  ]/
*The ULTIMATE Carbon Footprint Tier List*
Planet Zero - Climate Change
Apr 22, 2024  #carbonfootprint #earthday #tierlist

The looming presence of climate change has led many people to ask
themselves if there are ways to reduce their personal emissions to help
fight the problem. While the entire concept of blaming consumers for the
climate crisis was started by British Petroleum in 2004 to shift the
blame from corporations to individuals, our daily choices still have an
impact on the climate. However, some choices are more carbon-intensive
than others. What changes are actually worth making? To answer this
loaded question, we now have the ULTIMATE Carbon Footprint Tier List!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAol5ARQVPc

/[ Main concern is water temperature  -- from independent journalist
//Nick Breeze //]/
*Massive Marine Ecosystem Crash Along Galicia’s Coast Due To Prolonged
Atlantic Heatwave #climate
*Nick Breeze ClimateGenn
Premiere in progress. Started 15 minutes ago  ClimateGenn #podcast
produced by Nick Breeze
In this first published ClimateGenn episode for a couple of months, I
want to thank subscribers for your patience. I have not been sitting
idle but much more trying to digest the appalling consequences of
climate heating that we are now experiencing.
- -
         [Order COPOUT by Nick Breeze - https://amzn.to/4boQfnl ]
- -
Everyday on social media, climate graphs and charts are posted with
varying degrees of deep red and other markers of urgency. Yet, nothing
happens except the posts become more shrill and the problem of climate
disaster becomes more irreversible.

As someone who engages a lot with climate science and scientists,
somehow I had fallen into a space whereby the actual meaning of these
charts had become abstract. Codified and filed away in my mind to avoid
real exposure to true meaning.

Then something happened. I arranged to meet with Guillermo Díaz Agras at
the marine biology research station in La Grana in Galicia. The research
station is a satellite of Santiago University and the team here conduct
extensive research along the coast and in the river valley’s, called rias.

What I expected to be an introductory overview of the research station
turned into a horrifying cerebral experience; an awakening if you like.

Guillermo showed me a long stream of images of dead dolphins, turtles
and otters, saying simply: ‘That was just last week!’. He then explained
how much of the indigenous shellfish are dying. The mussels no longer
forming in this stretch of coast, the seaweed that bound the mussels to
the rocks and the floating platforms, no longer there. The ecosystems
that were embedded within them, gone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE5V4l_JaAs

/[ restoring a forgotten term - mass immiseration ]/
Apr 22, 2024  #109 #thegreatsimplification #natehagens
*Excerpted from The Great Simplification Episode #109 aired on February
14th, 2024*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQhxpzkT72A

- -

/[ full interview ]/
*Ashley Hodgson: "The New Enlightenment and Behavioral Economics” | The
Great Simplification #109*
Nate Hagens
  Feb 14, 2024  The Great Simplification - with Nate Hagens
On this episode, Nate is joined by Ashley Hodgson, a professor in
behavioral economics, where she offers a perspective on the
superorganism and what she calls ‘The New Enlightenment’. By taking a
wide-lens look at the way our human systems work, we can see the
incentives and structures that push power towards consumptive,
short-sighted, and destructive pathways. How could we ‘rejigger’ these
systems to be more aligned with values and goals conducive to supporting
humans long into the future? What are the natural laws that inherently
depreciate systems - and how might we think about counteracting them? As
we enter a world where the perpetual growth we’ve come to expect is no
longer possible, how can we lean into the creativity and ingenuity
required when thinking about new economic paradigms?

About Ashley Hodgson
Ashley Hodgson is an Associate Professor of Economics and a YouTuber.
She teaches Behavioral Economics, Digital Industries, Health Care
Economics, and Blockchain Economics.  Her YouTube channel, The New
Enlightenment, explores topics related to economics, governance, and
epistemics – that is, the determination of truth and validity – in a
world of social media and increasing power concentration.
Her channel is
https://www.youtube.com/@thenewenlightenmentwithash8465/videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEUhSSl83-Y&t=0s

/[  AKA Soccer, penalty kick. ]/
*Football's climate change threat: Flooded stadiums, too hot to train*
Tom Chambers
Apr 22, 2024
"God blessed Fulham with great geography," the Premier League club's
owner Shahid Khan said in 2021 as he discussed his vision for Craven
Cottage's new £80 million stand on the north bank of the River Thames.

Once it is finally completed next season, the Riverside Stand and its
eye-catching Sky Deck will offer fans rooftop views of the London
skyline and "experiential food and drink pop-ups." Images of the lavish
construction released by the club in March also depict a rooftop
swimming pool. There is, though, one glaring issue with the development:
the stadium is predicted to be underwater by 2050.

Fulham are by no means the only team predicted to suffer as sea levels
rise in line with global temperatures because of climate change. Almost
one in four stadiums in the top four divisions of English football will
experience total or partial flooding within the next quarter of a
century, according to the report "Playing Against the Clock: Global
Sport, the Climate Emergency and the Case for Rapid Change," published
by the Rapid Transition Alliance in 2020.
- -
Premier League clubs, despite their riches, will not be exempt, with the
likes of Chelsea and West Ham United likely to face annual flooding, as
will U.S. sports teams including the Jacksonville Jaguars, Miami Heat
and New York Mets. The New York Giants and the New York Jets' MetLife
Stadium is also predicted to be submerged every year.

It's not just rising sea levels that pose a problem: heatwaves, drought,
fires and air pollution are all set to disrupt a multitude of sports in
the coming decades, from surfing in California to rugby in Samoa.
Scotland's Montrose golf course lost 23 feet to coastal erosion last
year, while Donald Trump's Doonbeg course in Ireland has attempted to
build a seawall to hold back the rising tide.

"Nothing I've ever written has ever brought so much stuff to my door,"
the report's author, David Goldblatt, tells ESPN. The causes and effects
of climate change can often be hard to grasp, but by applying real-world
sporting examples, the leading academic and co-founder of the nonprofit
environmental charity Football For Future forced people to sit up and
take notice. Despite its considerable media traction, Goldblatt's work
has a complicated legacy.

"That document I would say has kind of set the agenda for a lot of
folks, [but] in terms of official response; f--- sake man, nothing," he
says. "Of course, football clubs, they never, ever, ever respond,
certainly not proactively. I wrote to a couple of clubs, emailed local
journalists; Scunthorpe, Grimsby, places that are really in a lot of
trouble and... zilch, nothing, zero. And in fact, no club that I talk
about in that document that is in trouble has ever responded. I have
never seen a public response or a statement from them on the issue at all."
The 2023-24 football season in the UK has already been hit by 10 named
storms including Babet, which cancelled all but two matches in the
Scottish Premier League and several more throughout the English football
league between Oct. 18 and Oct. 21. At a global level, the World
Meteorological Organization has confirmed that 2023 was the warmest year
ever recorded. A warmer atmosphere can hold more moisture, leading to
more intense and prolonged periods of rainfall, which, along with higher
temperatures melting polar ice, causes sea levels to rise.

"At least a third of all clubs [in the UK] have got serious
climate-related issues coming their way," Goldblatt says. "Like Norwich:
East Anglia is looking at a lot of drought over the next 30 years. I
thought it was really interesting that a lot of clubs in the northwest
of England near the coast are going to be facing some serious Atlantic
storms, and we know that in 2022, ADO Den Haag's stadium had the roof
blown off by a storm and it wasn't like it was a crap stadium, it was
like a proper modern stadium and it had its roof blown off. Barrow,
Fleetwood, Blackpool, Burnley, Preston, there's a lot of Atlantic storms
coming their way. I don't see anybody responding in public. I don't see
anyone. It's absolutely hopeless and gutless. It's like, come on, what
are you waiting for?

"I'm just beginning to hear in the lower levels of football more
grumbling and more explicit connection being made between extreme
weather events and all of the flooding that's been going on in
lower-league football and it's creeping up the pyramid, basically. The
bottom line is not very much [has changed.] That's the response. So the
response to 'Playing Against the Clock' on the one hand has been
completely amazing and then completely meaningless as well."

The popularity and international nature of modern football means it is a
significant emitter of carbon dioxide -- the greenhouse gas primarily
responsible for global warming. A combination of private jet usage,
stadium construction, fan travel and above all the carbon footprint of
sportswear production contribute to Goldblatt's estimation that football
is responsible for nearly 1% of carbon emissions in the UK. That pales
in comparison to some other industry sectors, but football is
nevertheless capable of significant environmental harm.

"People often, with climate, think: energy production, agriculture,
belching industrial chimneys, et cetera, not 22 people running around on
a piece of grass," Goldblatt says.
While on a broader level we are seeing the environmentally problematic
expansion of World Cups and other tournaments, some organisations are
leading the way with innovative schemes and policies. Tottenham
Hotspur's stadium and training ground run on 100% renewable energy and
the club is working to reduce single-use plastics in its operations.
Manchester City have introduced free shirt return points for fans, using
depolymerisation technology that allows kits featuring transfers and
embroideries to be recycled. UEFA has recently launched a carbon
footprint calculator that allows organisations to assess and understand
their emissions.

"There are obviously enthusiasts within the industry," Goldblatt says.
"[Tottenham chairman] Daniel Levy takes this stuff pretty seriously.
Tottenham's commitment is quite serious; I mean we can make all sorts of
criticisms, but no, there's real executive energy and money and the same
I would say is true of City and Liverpool, Southampton. It's
interesting. I wonder how things are faring outside the Premier League
[for other clubs] as budgets squeeze, but there's been some good stuff
there."

In recent years, several leagues, governing bodies and clubs have become
signatories of the UN's Sports for Climate Action Framework which
commits them to halving emissions by 2030 and becoming net zero by 2040.

There are a growing number of players taking an active role in tackling
climate change. Footballers, and athletes more generally, are
increasingly prepared to use their platform to champion causes close to
their hearts. Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford's successful
campaign to pressure the UK government into continuing to provide free
school meals to vulnerable children in 2020 was a particularly striking
example.

"The players have an extraordinary opportunity," Goldblatt argues. "I
mean Rashford has sort of set the bar high and obviously that's a very
particular story where his own personal experience, his own lived
experience, made him essentially invulnerable to the trolls and gave him
the power to really cut through. There's no one quite in that position
in the climate debate. But again, I often think with these things that
it's no point waiting for a single messiah. This is a collective issue.
It can't be just down to a Marcus Rashford of climate."
One individual attempting to play his part in contributing to football's
climate debate is David Wheeler. Appointed the first sustainability
champion of the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) in February
2023, the Wycombe Wanderers midfielder has campaigned for change in the
sport during events at Oxford University and even the Glastonbury music
festival. Wheeler, along with Football For Future and the PFA, has also
organised workshops to educate fellow players about the effects of
climate change.

"They were basically to get current professional footballers and
ex-professional footballers and people that work within football
together to have a crash course of what climate change is and how it
affects football and how football affects it," Wheeler says. "And so a
few things in one go: it was kind of to increase that educational
awareness but also to bring out people from the woodwork that maybe have
been passionate about these issues for a while but haven't had an outlet
for it. And also, it's hopefully offered a safe space for footballers to
speak about it and their concerns."

The vision of footballers meeting up to discuss societal issues flies in
the face of traditional notions of what players get up to in their spare
time. Are footballers really having conversations about climate change
within changing rooms?

"Yeah, definitely," Wheeler says. "Especially because of my role and how
much I'm vocal about it. Obviously you can imagine I get a lot of banter
about it, but I feel like it does nudge the dial a little bit and it
brings it into the changing room. It brings it into conversations a lot
more because of that."

Wheeler's work has resulted in Wycombe introducing electric car charging
facilities at both their training ground and stadium, as well as
striving to reduce energy consumption on matchdays. Despite his efforts,
Wheeler, who has said that he would not play for a team that had a
fossil fuel company as its shirt sponsor, is used to being labelled a
hypocrite. The accusation is a common one aimed at athletes who have
spoken out about a need to care for the environment because of their
careers in the carbon-intensive sports industry.

"It is kind of impossible to rid yourself of some kind of hypocrisy in
your life," he says. "I think that's probably the main point is that you
wouldn't necessarily want someone to be perfect because then they'd be
unrelatable. And I think that's the irony is that if someone was
perfect, then that's probably the argument that would be flipped to:
'They're unrelatable' or 'they're a hippie' or 'they're an extremist' or
something like that."
England has just experienced its wettest 18 months since records began
in 1836, with football matches outside the top two tiers experiencing
regular postponements. It is an issue that is having an increasing
effect for a number of teams.

"I think to be honest, in the five years I've been at Wycombe we've been
at the same training ground and this year has probably been the
worst-ever year for the state of the pitch," Wheeler says. "It's just
been waterlogged for a large chunk of the season, and it's never been
perfect.

"You're not getting sustained cold weather you used to get, it has been
raining a hell of a lot this year and that's obviously affected our
ability to train on a regular basis, but also in the summer as well with
the extreme heat, the sort of 40-plus degree heat, it's just impossible
really to train in. It's just pretty unbearable just to be in."

Despite what appears to be a fairly bleak outlook, football's capacity
to foster community, spark collective action and resonate with the wider
public mean it is unique in its ability to drive social change and
perhaps spearhead positive climate action.

"Football, for whatever reason, has always been popular, always
symbolic," Goldblatt says. "I now believe that football is the most
important space for collective storytelling and collective imagining --
it now exceeds the soaps by a very long way.

"So football is not only uniquely poised [to combat climate change]
because of its position in popular culture generally, but it has a
longstanding deep culture that predisposes it to being an effective
advocate. I mean it remains one of the very few spaces in which people
really believe that collective action works.

"Obviously climate change is a collective action issue, and people for
all sorts of reasons -- good, bad -- that space has diminished and
football people really believe that. And so I think that's very
powerful. I think football's also a space of hope."
https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39975010/footballs-climate-change-threat-flooded-stadiums-too-hot-train

/[The news archive -  How Senator John McCain was labeled a "Maverick" ]/
/*April 23, 2007 */
April 23, 2007:
In a speech on climate change and energy at the Center for Strategic and
International Studies in Washington, D.C., Senator John McCain (R-AZ) notes:

"The burning of oil and other fossil fuels is contributing to the
dangerous accumulation of greenhouse gases in the earth's atmosphere,
altering our climate with the potential for major social, economic and
political upheaval. The world is already feeling the powerful effects of
global warming, and far more dire consequences are predicted if we let
the growing deluge of greenhouse gas emissions continue, and wreak havoc
with God's creation. A group of senior retired military officers
recently warned about the potential upheaval caused by conflicts over
water, arable land and other natural resources under strain from a
warming planet. The problem isn't a Hollywood invention nor is doing
something about it a vanity of Cassandra like hysterics. It is a serious
and urgent economic, environmental and national security challenge.

"National security depends on energy security, which we cannot achieve
if we remain dependent on imported oil from Middle Eastern governments
who support or foment by their own inattention and inequities the rise
of terrorists or on swaggering demagogues and would be dictators in our
hemisphere.

"There's no doubt it's an enormous challenge. But is it too big a
challenge for America to tackle; this great country that has never
before confronted a problem it couldn't solve? No, it is not. No people
have ever been better innovators and problem solvers than Americans. It
is in our national DNA to see challenges as opportunities; to conquer
problems beyond the expectation of an admiring world. America, relying
as always on the industry and imagination of a free people, and the
power and innovation of free markets, is capable of overcoming any
challenge from within and without our borders. Our enemies believe we're
too weak to overcome our dependence on foreign oil. Even some of our
allies think we're no longer the world's most visionary, most capable
country or committed to the advancement of mankind. I think we know
better than that. I think we know who we are and what we can do. Now,
let's remind the world."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca-82G-mEvs
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=77106
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/23/AR2007042301763.html

Privacy and Security: *This mailing is text-only -- and carries no
images or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli

===