[✔️] Jan 8 2024 Global Warming News | Rapid conversion, Next COP is 29, Climate color stripes, Posters, First Earth day, Ancient geology, 2003 McCain-Lieberman

Mon Jan 8 08:34:35 EST 2024

/*January*//*8, 2024*/

/[ Rapid conversion to clean energy - opinion - 13 min video ]/
*How to fix the climate by 2030?*
Just Have a Think
Jan 7, 2024
Global leaders recently agreed to triple renewables capacity by 2030
while doubling energy efficiency. That'll solve all our problems, they
tell us. And it will ensure the world gets to the apparent Holy Grail of
'Net Zero' by 2050. But is any of what they say really achievable?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSqtpsTlTU0

/[ BBC reports on preparations for next meeting ]/
*Climate change: Former oil executive Mukhtar Babayev to lead COP29
talks in Azerbaijan*
5th January 2024
By Matt McGrath
Environment correspondent
For the second year in a row, a minister with vast experience of the oil
industry will be in charge of global climate negotiations.

Azerbaijan's Mukhtar Babayev has been named as the president-designate
of the COP29 talks in Baku next November.

Mr Babayev spent decades working at the national oil company before
becoming environment minister in 2018.

He takes over from Sultan al-Jaber who presided over COP28 in Dubai last
year.

Little is known about Mr Babayev, who is currently serving as minister
for ecology and natural resources in the Azerbaijan government.
- -
There's a sense of déjà vu setting in - we now have a former oil
executive from an authoritarian petrostate in charge of the world's
response to the crisis that fossil fuel firms created," said Alice
Harrison from Global Witness.

"We again call for the UNFCCC [United Nations Framework Convention on
Climate Change] to urgently intervene and kick big polluters out of
climate talks, to ensure the talks are held in good faith, and to remove
those people who want to make a profit at the expense of the world's
most vulnerable people."

Azerbaijan has been ruled by President Ilham Aliyev since 2003. He
secured his latest term in 2018 in an election which Western observers
said fell short of democratic standards.

Under his rule, Azerbaijan has increased its international profile,
including hosting the Eurovision Song Contest in 2012, the Baku European
Games in 2015 and is now set for COP29 this year.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-67895068

/[ visualizing change ]/
*Climate stripes: Dark red line added after 2023 smashed temperature
records*
‘I think I need a new colour’: Climate stripes creator reacts to 2023's
record-smashing temperatures.

Temperatures were so high in 2023 that a new colour could be needed to
show it on the climate stripes image.

The series of vertical coloured bars offers a visual representation of
how our planet is progressively heating up.

It was created by climate scientist Professor Ed Hawkins at the
University of Reading, UK, in 2018.
Running from blue to a deep red, the striking image hammers home the
extreme warming driven by human-caused emissions in recent years.

With global temperatures soaring to the highest level ever recorded last
year, a line of the darkest red has been added to the scale.
But Professor Hawkins says that following official confirmation of
2023’s temperatures a new colour might be needed to represent the rise.

What do the climate stripes mean?
The chart runs from 1850 - when temperature records began - to 2023. It
draws on billions of pieces of scientific data on our climate.

Each stripe signifies the average temperature for a single year,
relative to the average temperature over the 1971-2000 period.

“The colours used in the climate stripes are based on a scale designed
to show which years are warmer and cooler than the average,” explains
Professor Hawkins.

Blue shades indicate cooler-than-average years whereas red represents
hotter than average years.

The scale grows rapidly red towards the right hand side of the image,
showing a spike in global warming in recent decades.

Climate change in pictures: 2023 was a year of deadly weather, protest
crackdowns and historic deals
2023 was the hottest year on record. How are Europe’s cities planning to
adapt for even warmer 2024?
‘2023 was off the end of the scale’
This week, the UK’s Met Office confirmed 2023 as the hottest year on
record for Wales and Northern Ireland and the second warmest on record
for the UK overall, just behind 2022.

Europe's Climate Change Service Copernicus already indicated in December
that 2023 would be the hottest recorded year in human history. Some
official records, when released, are expected to show that 2023 was more
than 1.5C above pre-industrial records.

“2023 was off the end of the scale,” says Professor Hawkins.

“This was always going to happen at some point, given the continued
increase in global greenhouse gases… But the margin of record breaking
in 2023 has still been a surprise,” he adds.

But this is a time for action, not despair...
- -
“2024 has to be the year we turn conversations into faster action,”
urges Professor Ed Hawkins.

“The good news is that we already have many of the solutions we need,”
he adds. “We now need bold, transformative change across all parts of
society to make our planet’s climate safer for current and future
generations.”

You can view stripes for more than 200 countries, cities, regions, and
the oceans at showyourstripes.info.
https://www.euronews.com/green/2024/01/04/climate-stripes-dark-red-line-added-after-2023-smashed-temperature-records
- -
https://showyourstripes.info./

- -

/[ great graphics in persuasion ]/
*Told Ya So: The Prescient Posters of the Environmental Movement*
Graphic artists have been helping call attention to climate change for
decades, and a new exhibition charts the evolution of their pleas.
By Travis Diehl
Published Jan. 4, 2024
Last year was the warmest in recorded history. The graphic artists of
the environmental movement tried to warn us. Their posters aimed to
scare people straight with pictures of ecological ruin, or glorified
nature, clean air and water, sunshine and verdure. Some offered
earworm-y slogans and haunting visuals. Whatever their approach —
bright, witty, somber, blunt, even sexy — they sought an image, a
phrase, that could change enough minds to literally save the world.

Through Feb. 25, an exhibition at Poster House in Manhattan demonstrates
these visual and rhetorical styles, and how they reflect the evolving
movement’s shifting strategies. There are 33 posters on view, along with
dozens of postage stamps and a pair of socks by Vivienne Westwood.

Environmentalism began honing its voice in the 1970s, with roots in the
counterculture and protests against the Vietnam War. Robert Rauschenberg
designed the official poster for the first Earth Day, in 1970. In a
deadpan appeal to patriotism, grim scenes of spoiled ecologies frame a
bald eagle. The earliest work in the show, a call for clean water from
1961 by Hans Erni, features a ghastly skull in a drinking glass. The
choice, the artists argued, was between peace and poison.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/04/arts/design/review-poster-house-climate.html

- -

/[ see images in the archives ]/
*Featured Document: First Earth Day Poster*
https://www.archives.gov/news/articles/earth-day-50-featured-document

/[ PhD student teaching rock records and index fossils - dating as proxy
-- explaining much ]/
*How We Know What Happened in Earth's Past, like Ancient Climate,
Geology, & Extinctions | GEO GIRL*
GEO GIRL
Jul 9, 2023
We reconstruct Earth's ancient past using physical, chemical, and/or
biological signatures preserved in rocks, called proxies. From such
proxies, we are able to reconstruct ancient climate trends, like
temperature, atmospheric composition, ocean chemistry, oxygen levels,
carbon dioxide levels, mountain chain positions, elevations, plate
tectonic events, volanic eruption events, earthquakes, wildfires, ocean
anoxic events, impact events, glacial expansions and contractions, sea
level rise and fall, etc. as well as biological events, like
evolutionary and extinction events. In the many Earth history videos on
my channel, I go over such events, but in this video, I go over what
kind of proxies we use to reconstruct such ancient events and
conditions! I know this video is long, so I broke it into sections,
which cover physical proxies, chemical proxies, & biological proxies,
respectively. I also included chapters listed below and on the timebar
of the video for you to use if you'd like to skip to a specific section.
Hope you enjoy! ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9Te_sGZ_c0

/[ The news archive -  early and invisible action ]/
/*January 8, 2003 */
January 8, 2003: Senators John McCain (R-AZ) and Joseph Lieberman (D-CT)
introduce the bipartisan Climate Stewardship Act of 2003, which would
establish a federal cap-and-trade program to reduce greenhouse gas
emissions. (The bill would be defeated in the Senate in October 2003.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/09/us/politics-economy-environment-mccain-lieberman-offer-bill-require-cuts-gases.html

http://www.edf.org/news/environmental-defense-praises-new-mccain-lieberman-climate-bill

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli