[✔️] Jan 16, 2024 Global Warming News | CEO fears, Andre Malm, Climate anxiety, RealClimate dot on a graph, Capitalism and climate, 2006 Al Gore speaks

Tue Jan 16 10:59:59 EST 2024

/*January*//*16, 2024*/

/[ AP news - increasing risk ]/
*More CEOs fear their companies won’t survive 10 years as AI and climate
challenges grow, survey says*
BY COURTNEY BONNELL
January 15, 2024
LONDON (AP) — More executives are feeling better about the global
economy, but a growing number don’t think their companies will survive
the coming decade without a major overhaul because of pressure from
climate change and technology like artificial intelligence, according to
a new survey of CEOs by one of the world’s largest consulting firms, PwC.

The survey of more than 4,700 CEOs worldwide was released Monday as
business elites, political leaders and activists descended on the World
Economic Forum’s annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland, and it showed a
mixed picture of the coming years...
The online survey — which again showed that business is the most trusted
institution among government, media, science and nongovernmental
organizations — gathered responses from more than 32,000 respondents in
28 countries from Nov. 3 to Nov. 22.

Similar to AI, the PwC survey shows that the climate transition is both
an opportunity and a risk. An increasing number of CEOs — nearly a third
— say climate change was expected to shift how they do things over the
next three years.

More than three-quarters of the executives said they have begun or
completed changes to increase energy efficiency, but only 45% noted that
they have made progress on taking the climate risks into account in
financial planning.

The PwC survey of 4,702 CEOs in 105 countries and territories was
conducted from Oct. 2 to Nov. 10.
https://apnews.com/article/davos-ceo-survey-ai-climate-change-economy-cdf526bec5ce12812b5d2704dc054867

/[ NYTimes goes for the headlines - clips from interview w activist
Andreas Malm ]/
*How This Climate Activist Justifies Political Violence*
By David Marchese
Jan. 14, 2024
With the 2021 publication of his unsettling book, “How to Blow Up a
Pipeline,” Andreas Malm established himself as a leading thinker of
climate radicalism. The provocatively titled manifesto, which, to be
clear, does not actually provide instructions for destroying anything,
functioned both as a question — why has climate activism remained so
steadfastly peaceful in the face of minimal results? — and as a call for
the escalation of protest tactics like sabotage...
- -
*But I’m specifically thinking about our liberal democracy, however
debased it may be. How do you rationalize advocacy for violence within
what are supposed to be the ideals of our system? *Imagine you have a
Trump victory in the next election — doesn’t seem unimaginable — and you
get a climate denialist back in charge of the White House and he rolls
back whatever good things President Biden has done. What should the
climate movement do then? Should it accept this as the outcome of a
democratic election and protest in the mildest of forms? Or should it
radicalize and consider something like property destruction? I admit
that this is a difficult question, but I imagine that a measured
response to it would need to take into account how democracy works in a
country like the United States and whether allowing fossil-fuel
companies to wreck the planet because they profit from it can count as a
form of democracy and should therefore be respected.

*Could you give me a reason to live? *What do you mean?

*Your work is crushing. But I have optimism about the human project.
*I’m not an optimist about the human project.

*So give me a reason to live.* Well, here’s where we enter the virgin
territories of metaphysics.
*Those are my favorite territories.* Wonderful.

*I’m not joking. *Yeah, I’m not sure that I have the qualifications to
give people advice about reasons to live. My daily affective state is
one of great despair about the incredible destructive forces at work in
this world — not only at the level of climate. What has been going on in
the Middle East just adds to this feeling of destructive forces
completely out of control. The situation in the world, as far as I can
tell, is incredibly bleak. So how do we live with what we know about the
climate crisis? Sometimes I think that the meaning of life is to not
give up, to keep the resistance going even though the forces stacked
against you are overwhelmingly strong. This often requires some kind of
religious conviction, because sometimes it seems irrational.

*I think all you need to do is look at your children.* Yes, but I have
to admit to some kind of cognitive dissonance, because, rationally, when
you think about children and their future, you have to be dismal.
Children are fundamentally a source of joy, and psychologically you want
to keep them that way. I try to keep my children in the category of the
nonapocalyptic. I’m quite happy to go and swim with my son and be in
that moment and not think, Ah, 30 years from now he’s going to lie dead
on some inundated beach. You know what I mean?

*Which of your arguments are you most unsure of?* I cannot claim to have
a good explanation for what is essentially a mystery, namely that
humanity is allowing the climate catastrophe to spiral on. One of my
personal intellectual journeys in recent years has been psychoanalysis.
Once you start looking into the psychic dimensions of a problem like the
climate crisis, you have to open yourself to the fundamental difficulty
in understanding what’s happening.

*Is it possible for you to summarize your psychoanalytic understanding
of the climate crisis?* Not simply, because it’s so complex. On the far
right, you see this aggressive defense of cars and fossil fuels that
verges on a desire for destruction, which of course is part of Freud’s
latent theory of the two categories of drives: eros and thanatos.

In Freud’s writings, he argued that individuals wrestle with the desire
to live, eros, and the desire to die, widely known as thanatos.
Another fundamental category in the psychic dimension of the climate
crisis is denial. Denial is as central to the development of the climate
crisis as the greenhouse effect.

*What about you, psychoanalytically speaking?* I have my weekly therapy
on Thursday.

*But what’s your deal? *You mean in my private life?

*Yeah. *On a deeper level, the point for the psychoanalysis is that you
parents and how they have constituted you. Do you really want me to go
there?

*Yes.* I have to try to figure out how this ties in with my climate
activism. I guess this is some sort of a superego part of it: a strong
sense of duty or obligation; that I have to try to do what I can to
intervene in this situation. That’s a very strong affective mechanism.
For instance, I constantly give up on an intellectual project that would
be far more satisfying, a nerdy historical project,
/(That project is about what Malm calls a “people’s histories of
wilderness,” with a focus on how some have withdrawn “into the wild to
get away from oppression and potentially fight back.”
because I feel that I cannot with good conscience do this when the world
is on fire.)/

*But I’m asking what caused your impulses.* Now we’re into the deep
psychoanalytic stuff. I had a vicious Oedipal conflict with my father.
One way that this came to express itself was that in the preteen years,
I clashed with my father — even more violently during my teenage years.
My way to defend myself against what I perceived as his tyranny was to
become as proficient as he was in arguing and beat him in his own game
by rhetorically defeating him. I think I did. I think he accepted that
I’m his superior when it comes to writing and arguing.
Psychoanalytically, of course, the things that I’ve continued to do can
be understood as an extension of my formative rebellion against my
authoritarian father in a classically Oedipal setting, if you see what I
mean.

*I asked why you aren’t blowing up pipelines, and you gave this answer
about how action has to happen in the context of a community and “Oh,
but I have done very serious stuff” — there’s something fishy. You have
actually engaged in property destruction? Or are you just scared of
somebody calling you a hypocrite? *There are things that I have done
when it comes to militant activism recently that I, as a matter of
principle and political expediency, do not reveal. Part of the whole
point of it is to not reveal it. Sure, someone could accuse me of being
a hypocrite because I don’t offer evidence that I have done anything
militant. But those close to me know. That’s good enough for me.

*I also said, “Give me a reason to live.” *I will always remember this.
No one ever asked me this before.

*And I said that one of the reasons to keep going is kids. But you said
their future is rationally going to be terrible. If you think your
children’s future is going to be terrible, why keep going?* One of the
arguments in this “Overshoot” book is that the technical possibilities
are all there. It’s a matter of the political trends. This feeling that
my kids will face a terrible future isn’t based on the idea that it’s
impossible to save us by technical means. It’s just, to quote Walter
Benjamin, the enemy has never ceased to be victorious— and it’s more
victorious than ever. That’s how it feels.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/01/14/magazine/andreas-malm-interview.html
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/01/14/magazine/andreas-malm-interview.html?unlocked_article_code=1.OE0.pA9P.ihxssceh4iFr&smid=url-share

/[ BBC reports on emotions  ]/
*Climate anxiety: 'I don't want to burden the world with my child'*
15th January 2024
By Navin Singh Khadka
Environment correspondent, for BBC 100 Women
Awareness of the climate crisis has generally been strongest in
developed countries, but "climate anxiety" is now also leading some
couples in other parts of the world to decide against having children.

Julia Borges' worries about climate change intensified during the first
months of the pandemic, when she and others were in isolation, alone
with their thoughts.

"I started to picture my city and my university under water," says the
23-year-old agriculture and engineering student from Recife, on Brazil's
north-eastern coast.

"I started to have anxiety crises, to the point of thinking about giving
up on my own life, because I didn't know how to deal with it all."

Taking a course in climate leadership was little help - it only
increased her feeling of responsibility for what was happening. She soon
came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be right to have a child.

"I cannot see myself as responsible for the life of another human being,
for generating a new life that would become another burden to a planet
that is so overloaded already," Julia says.

In 2022 a team from Nottingham University asked adults in 11 countries
whether anxiety or distress about climate change had made them think
they should not have children, or had made them regret having them. The
proportion saying that they did have such thoughts - sometimes, often or
always - ranged from 27% in Japan to 74% in India. The study is due to
be published next year.

An earlier study published in the Lancet, based on a 2021 survey of
10,000 people aged 16 to 25, found that more than 40% of respondents in
Australia, Brazil, India and the Philippines said climate change made
them hesitant about having children. In France, Portugal, the UK and the
US the figure was between 30% and 40%. In Nigeria it was 23%.

And an analysis of 13 earlier studies carried out between 2012 and 2022,
which was published this month by researchers from University College
London, found that concerns about climate change were typically
associated with a desire for fewer children.
This was usually because participants were concerned about the effect
climate change might have on their children's lives, or because they
felt, like Julia, that more children would only add to pressure on the
planet's resources. However, in two studies in Zambia and Ethiopia
researchers say the dominant view was that "smaller families are better
positioned to support themselves during adverse environmental conditions".

In 2019 the singer Miley Cyrus said she wouldn't have children because
of the state of the planet, and US congresswoman Alexandria
Ocasio-Cortez asked on Instagram if it would be right to bring children
into a world blighted by climate change. The same debate now seems to be
happening in countries that are on the front line of the climate crisis.

BBC 100 Women names 100 inspiring and influential women around the world
every year and tells stories with women at the centre
Meet 2023's 100 Women here
Julia's concern about climate change only increased when in May 2022,
Recife was hit by a storm that caused floods and landslides, leading to
more than 120 deaths in the region.

"Just three days before those massive rains, I had given a lecture to
children from a local NGO, on the topic of climate crisis. Right on the
spot, as that was later the area most affected by the flooding," she
says. "That really affected me, in the sense of how can we think about
children in the future if the children of the present are already in
danger?"
Shristi, 40, had been concerned about climate change long before this.
Eight years ago, she used to look at her sleeping newborn daughter and
worry about the world she would inherit.

"Understanding how this world works, how climate change is changing
lives for the worst, for animals and children - this realisation made me
cry everyday. It was pretty horrible to me," she says.

She vowed then not to have another child.

This new tragedy in the village - which led to young girls being married
off by parents who couldn't feed them - caused her to have sleepless
nights, wracked by climate anxiety...
*
What is climate anxiety?*
By psychotherapist Caroline Hickman, University of Bath

Climate anxiety, or eco-anxiety, is the healthy distress that we feel
when we look at what is happening in our changing world. We are facing
personal and planetary threats from our rapidly changing climate. And it
causes us to feel anxious and afraid for our own and our children's futures.

It is not just anxiety, but also sadness, depression, grief, despair,
anger, frustration, and confusion. We often have moments of hope or
optimism, but this can be hard to hold on to as we are heading rapidly
in the wrong direction and not taking sufficient steps to slow down the
climate crisis.

For 24-year-old Ayomide Olude, who works for a sustainability NGO in
Nigeria, the experience of filming a documentary in a coastal fishing
community last year strengthened her determination never to have a child.
Residents of Folu, 100km east of Lagos, showed her a pier that had been
used in the past to have fun by the sea, almost all of which was already
under water.

"During storm surges the flood water now reaches quite deep into the
village, so people are now leaving their houses," Ayomide says. "This
was where there was a real-estate boom in the past but now you see
abandoned houses and some parts of the village are already under water."

Fishermen told her their job was now unsafe, because storms had become
so intense.

Ayomide says she often hears young Nigerians discuss their anxieties in
a "climate café" she runs in Ogun state, north of Lagos, a setting where
people are encouraged to share what they know and feel about climate
change. The experience in Folu sharpened her own concerns.
Like Julia in Brazil, she faces pressure from society and her family to
have children, but says nothing will persuade her to change her mind.

"In a society where women barely have the power to decide, and where
there are religious beliefs that one should have kids, it takes
considerable strength and determination to say this in public," she says.

"My parents are upset, and we don't talk about it much. I try not to
think about it although I feel sad for them."

Shristi, for her part, has to cope with relatives continually asking
when she will have a second child.

But all three women say their partners support their decision.
University of Bath psychotherapist Caroline Hickman, the lead author of
the 2021 Lancet study, argues that climate anxiety is a healthy response
to the climate crisis.

She advises anyone experiencing it to make contact with others who feel
the same way, and to collaborate with them on practical steps to address
the crisis.

"These difficulties are not going away, so we need to learn how to face
them."

    *Tips for coping*
    -- Be part of a community of like-minded people so you have people
    to share feelings and thoughts with.
    -- Learn to regulate your emotions so you do not get overwhelmed
    (feeling too much) or shut down (feeling too little). Mindfulness
    and meditation can be helpful, but so is anything that helps to
    build emotional resilience.
    --Then there is a possibility to "re-frame" eco-anxiety into
    eco-care, eco-courage, eco-connection. --We should not try to get
    rid of it, we only feel eco-anxiety because we care. We should feel
    proud that we care!

*Caroline Hickman, University of Bath*

Julia has taken this path. She has helped map areas vulnerable to
flooding and landslides, and works for a local NGO that educates people
about the climate and the environment.

"What helped me release some of that anxiety was to become an agent of
change and transformation in my community," she says.

Nonetheless, her worries remain.

"I can still feel that despair, but I've been working on it with my
therapist - and it helps to talk about it."

Additional reporting by Paula Adamo Idoeta
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-67298903

/[ From Real Climate - a little heavy on the geeky side of climate science]/
*Not just another dot on the graph?*
12 JAN 2024 BY GAVIN

As the climate monitoring groups add an additional dot to their graphs
this week, there is some disquiet among people paying attention about
just how extraordinary 2023 really was.

First, it’s been obvious for months that 2023 would be a record year –
in temperatures (at the surface, troposphere and in the ocean), in
Antarctic sea ice, in the number of big climate disasters etc. But this
was not at all obvious at the beginning of the year – even assuming that
El Niño would develop by the this winter. Indeed, even as late as
October, with only two months to go, the estimates for the annual mean
still did not encompass the eventual annual number.

In the GISTEMP product, the record was easily broken, and by a record
amount. Only the jump from 2014 to 2015 (coincidentally (?) also a year
in which El Niño developed over the year) was comparable (both 2023 and
2015 broke the previous record by more than 0.15ºC).

*Why oh why?*

So why was 2023 so special? There are lots of candidates, the ongoing El
Niño, aerosol decreases, the Hunga-Tonga eruption, internal variability
in southern ocean sea ice, extreme Indian-Ocean dipole, the NAO, low
levels of Saharan dust, and maybe all of the above. However, none of
them on their own are sufficient at least with present estimates. Better
quantification is possible (based on updating the sulphate and water
vapor data for HT in models, new aerosol emission files, new climate
simulations etc.), and the progress of 2024 will hopefully also be
informative. But right now, it’s a puzzle.

One swallow does not a summer make, and so I’m still withholding
judgement on the degree to which this is a blip or a systematic shift,
until we got some more of these factors quantified.

*Through a glass, darkly*

The comparison figure above neatly illustrates another issue that has
come to the fore recently related to questions of exactly what is the
warming from the “pre-industrial”? It’s clear that the multiple records
post-1970 are all highly coherent (this is something that wasn’t so true
5 years ago, but since everyone now interpolates over the Arctic, the
differences have reduced sharply). However, going back before 1940,
there is a noticeable increase in the divergence of the records. This is
mostly due to the sea surface temperature part of the product – and the
two main efforts to define that, HadSST and ERSST from NOAA, adopt quite
different methods to fill in missing data in the early part of the
record. This leads to a roughly 0.1 to 0.2ºC difference in
‘pre-industrial’ baselines (Berkeley Earth, HadCRUT5 (and hence
Copernicus/ERA5) use HadSST and are ~0.15ºC cooler in 1850-1900 than
NOAA or NASA (who use ERSSTv5). For reference, 2023 is 1.39, 1.49, 1.37,
1.55ºC warmer than 1880-1900 for GISTEMP, HadCRUT5, NOAA, and Berkeley
Earth, respectively, and it is 1.48, 1.34 and 1.54ºC warmer than
1850-1900 for HadCRUT5, NOAA and Berkeley Earth (the difference between
the baselines is around 0.01 to 0.03ºC). It’s worth noting that there
are some improvements in the uncertainty models for these products are
in the pipeline (for instance, Lenssen et al, subm on the new GISTEMP
ensemble).

This spread is frustrating to some folks who want (but will not get) a
clear answer to the 1.5ºC question, but I would argue that this
frustration is largely misplaced. The level of uncertainty that exists
(around 0.2ºC) is simply not policy relevant (in the sense that no
decisions related to mitigation or adaptation depend crucially on this
number). Mitigation of CO2 and CH4 emissions is a worthwhile to reduce
future climate risk regardless of whether we are at 1.4 or 1.6ºC above
1850 (the WMO has 1.45±0.12ºC (90% CI)), and adaptation to current and
foreseeable future changes is a good idea regardless.

*Ongoing issues*

Last year at this time, I discussed ongoing work to understand trends in
the Southern Ocean. Some of this work was recently published (Schmidt et
al., 2023; Roach et al., 2023). The upshot is that the impact of recent
anomalous freshwater from the melting of the ice sheet is enough to
change the sign of the sea ice and SST trends from 1990 onward, and that
the winds are a very good predictor of the interannual variability – and
combined, you get a pretty good match to the observations…. until around
2016, when the rapid decline in sea ice extent starts. Efforts to update
and improve the freshwater estimates will be undertaken this spring
(register for the workshop here!).

As usual, updated graphics can always be found here, and I will
undertake to update the model-observation comparisons over the next week
or so.

*Final amusing anecdote*

While of no salience whatsoever, it’s funny to see how the denialists
are dealing with all this. Of course, the records being set in the UAH
TLT record blows the ‘climate has been cooling since 2016’ trope that
they used through to about last summer, leaving them no plausible data
refuge. No matter, they then switched to promoting a totally bogus
website run by an anonymous coder that purports to give updated global
temperature data, but is obviously totally borked. Funnily enough, this
‘data’ also has an upward trend! The subsequent flail is to retreat to
“there is no such thing as global mean temperature!” (sure_jan.gif), and
that our inability to explain everything about the (non-existent)
temperature record is a sign that the ‘science isn’t settled’ (ha!) and
therefore we know nothing (surprise!). Some things in climate remain
extremely predictable.

https://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2024/01/not-just-another-dot-on-the-graph/

/[ Climate & Capitalism - a deep, but obvious question. ]/
*Do capitalists want to kill humanity … and themselves?*
January 14, 2024
What mad ideas lie behind capitalism’s drive towards planetary catastrophe?
by João Camargo

There’s a complicated question we can’t run away from anymore. Do the
elites of capitalism want to die?

If they know the origin and consequences of the climate crisis and don’t
solve it, aren’t they actively destroying the material foundations – a
stable global climate, predictability in terms of soil and water for
agriculture, availability of water and habitability of territories where
hundreds of millions of people live. Aren’t they digging their own grave?

The answer is yes. The political and economic elites of capitalism are
pushing us (and themselves) towards collapse. To ours and their catastrophe.

There are those who answer no and go on to explain that they have an
extra plan, which we don’t know about. They use this argument to put
themselves in one of two comfortable positions:

Saying (and believing?) there is no climate change.
Saying (and believing?) there is a solution that is yet to appear.
Another issue is also raised: they’re not planning on dying, as they
have huge plans to profit from the climate crisis.

Both answers are true. They’re not planning on dying, and they have, as
they always do, plans to profit off of everything.

I’ve struggled with this question ever since I realized that climate
change existed, almost 20 years ago. I was initially paralyzed by the
lack of an answer.

For a long time I watched what was happening, hoping I was wrong. Maybe
there was no climate change, maybe someone was working it out in the
shadows.

Many were making money, as always. I watched the unstoppable rise in
emissions, accompanying the now dizzying rise in temperature, the
institutional process of the COPs, the Kyoto protocol, the Paris
Agreement, the repetitive talk of technology that was going to but never
did solve the growing emissions. The fact that I didn’t have the answers
didn’t mean the questions weren’t right.

How is it that such an articulated global system, with so many resources
at its disposal, pushes its foundations – humanity, water, soil, natural
resources – towards collapse? It’s counterintuitive, irrational.
Nevertheless, it is what is happening.

The main explanation for this is usually attributed to the inertia of
the capitalist system, a machine so colossal and total that it has made
all social, political and economic principles conform to its rules.
That’s why the board or the management of a company that doesn’t grow
and expand (or grow and expand more than its rivals) is pushed out . It
is the reason why a country that doesn’t colonize or intensify the
exploitation of its people or resources sees its governance harassed or
removed. That is why every aspect of our social and private lives is
being commodified or is already a commodity.

To this I would now add another explanation: the alienation of the
elites under capitalism. I take this idea from the work of Antonio
Gramsci. To understand, I need to explain Gramsi’s ideas about ideology.

Antonio Gramsci was an Italian communist organiser and unparalleled
thinker. He wrote down his ideas while he was a political prisoner in
Mussolini’s Italy in the 1920s and 30s. Gramsci challenged two dominant
ideas of his time: epiphenomenalism and class reductionism.  Shortly,
epiphenomenalism was a theory about physical and mental realities,
advocating that mental states (such as ideas and ideology) were
completely dependent on physical states, that is, that only material
conditions determine ideology.

Gramsci questioned the direct correlation between ideological
superstructure and economic infrastructure, previously (and
subsequently) assumed almost as a ‘natural law’. Gramsci denied the idea
that capitalist society would inevitably collapse as a result of its own
economic laws and contradictions that lead to pauperisation of the
working glass and to environmental collapse. The question of consent as
a part of power, rather than pure coercion by the class in power was
central, as it lead to the question of hegemony in society.

Gramsci divided the “integral state” into two spheres. One was Political
Society: the coercive apparatus to conform the masses according to the
type of production and economy at any given moment. The other was Civil
Society: the hegemony of a social group over the entirety of society
exercised through private organisations like- the church, the unions and
the schools.

Refusing class reductionism in ideology, Gramsci denied that there were
pure class ideologies, he defined ideology as a set of practices,
principles, and dogmas with a material and institutional nature in which
individual subjects were ‘inserted’. In his view ideology still is a
system of class rule and hegemony. But it is brought together not only
by coercion, economic structure or class, but also through an organic
arrangement that assembles a unified system, an “organic ideology”. This
organic ideology expresses the hegemony of an economic class through
economic supremacy and the ability to articulate essential elements in
the ideological discourses of the subordinate classes in civil society.

The concept of hegemony in Gramsci makes it clear that the stability of
a regime or system depends on its ability to manage and preserve power
through a strategy he named “passive revolution”, that keeps alternative
hegemonies from developing. Individuals and groups are not only
“victims” though, as the basis for hegemony implies some form of
acceptance of the relationship, usually through a trade-off.

In Gramsci’s words, this trade-off comes from “collusion in the success
of a strategy of passive revolution, which responds to pressures from
below by incorporating popular demands. Such a strategy can succeed in
improving the lives of enough of the population to legitimate hegemonic
claims as long as economic conditions permit”.

Through many different and complementary mechanisms – discourses,
institutions, culture, media and laws, ideologies struggle to produce
hegemonic tools to become organic ideologies. When these become
“naturalised”, they turn into metanarratives. These are the “bigger
stories”, the often unspoken stories we rarely think of, but rather
simply assume, the naturalised ideas that are no longer ideas in that we
do not use them to question issues, but rather use them to reply to
questions about most issues.

Metanarratives reside in the fact that we are social animals: we build
community and we take comfort in sharing either explicit or implicit
world views. When metanarratives achieve a mature level of
naturalisation, they become forgotten and are assumed as “human nature”.
In fact, they are the closest we can get to human nature, in that it is
a collective idea that is widely shared. Yet they may not have any
grounds in nature or reality.

Even the promoters of a metanarrative can and often do become engulfed
by it – and this is one of the most relevant characteristics of our
current situation. A metanarrative it is not only a tool through which a
ruling class dominates the productive system and articulates the
ideological discourse of the subordinate classes. By by becoming
naturalised, it articulates the ideological discourses of all classes –
including the very ruling classes, fixing them into a worldview that can
damage even these very classes.

In order to dominate humanity, the capitalist elites have produced
countless stories, narratives, traditions, institutions, laws, schools,
art forms, think tanks, newspapers, media outlets, commentators and
other devices over the centuries. It’s not a conspiracy, it just became
the shared story we tell each other every day.

To reduce barriers to expansion and exploitation, the elites have
created a series of common ideas – people of a different color are
inferior, women are inferior to men, those who are rich deserve it,
poverty is laziness, there are magical mechanisms that “regulate” local
and even global trade, the “wild” and the natural are things to be
dominated. Some are new ideas, others are recycling of very old ideas,
and also represent the historical alliances capitalism made to thrive:
with the patriarchy, with colonialism, with applied sciences, among other.

A key issue is that part of these ideas have to do with the elites
themselves, their self-image of exceptionality, merit and intelligence.
Another is the magical characteristics attributed to humanity – led, of
course, by the capitalist elite. These include humanity’s insurmountable
intelligence and capability of technological miracles. This
technopositivism is science as ideology. In the end, like in the movie
Armageddon, we’ll be able to mine a meteorite in space, put an atomic
bomb there and detonate it before it collides with the earth. Bravo.

Most of these ideas, created and propagated to maintain the power
structure, have become naturalized over time. They no longer need to be
said, they have become culture. They are not a narrative, they don’t
need to be spelled out, because they are a metanarrative, they are what
society has come to use as a tool to answer things.

The elites themselves, instead of just using these vast set of ideas to
dominate the other classes, actually came to be dominated by them. They
came to believe the mystical hype about their role in the world and in
society, about capitalism as the only way to organize human societies,
about historical miracles and about the end of history. They are still
doing so despite their tiny historical existence and despite the fact
that some of their own institutions recognize that they are jeopardizing
the subsistence of global civilization.

The test of status quo ideas and culture comes whenever material
disruption collides with the stories society tells itself. That’s what’s
happening with the climate crisis. It’s still easier to imagine the end
of the world than the end of capitalism, but soon, it won’t be anymore.
Another story needs to emerge for us to be able to prevent climate
breakdown.

Capitalism is such an alienated form of organization that, despite
knowing the outcome of the climate crisis for decades, its agents at a
global level have launched a huge amount of renewable energy but haven’t
taken fossils off the grid, they’ve just added more productive capacity
and more emissions. It’s not an accident, it’s a compulsory need derived
from their very own metanarrative in which they are stuck. They can’t
help themselves, it is their core social and cultural programming. They
will never be able to solve the crisis, but only to deepen it. We need
to overthrow them or their death pulse will lead us all into collapse.
https://climateandcapitalism.com/2024/01/14/do-capitalists-want-to-kill-humanity-and-themselves/

/[The news archive - Al Gore is a part of history ]/
/*January 16, 2006 */
lJanuary 16, 2006: At a speech in Constitution Hall, Washington, D.C.,
former Vice President Al Gore declares:

"[T]he American people, who have a right to believe that its elected
representatives will learn the truth and act on the basis of knowledge
and utilize the rule of reason, have been let down.

To take another example, scientific warnings about the catastrophic
consequences of unchecked global warming were censored by a political
appointee in the White House with no scientific training whatsoever.

"Today one of the most distinguished scientific experts in the world on
global warming, who works in NASA, has been ordered not to talk to
members of the press; ordered to keep a careful log of everyone he meets
with so that the executive branch can monitor and control what he shares
of his knowledge about global warming.

"This is a planetary crisis. We owe ourselves a truthful and reasoned
discussion."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/16/AR2006011600779.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD_2e1dIl2s

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli