[✔️] Jan 26, 2024 Global Warming News | TIME magazine Apocalyptic Optimism, Saving Ourselves, Climate weather now, Tipping Points, 2015 Alaska

Fri Jan 26 08:36:30 EST 2024

/*January*//*26, 2024*/

/[ TIME magazine guest////opinion ]/
*Apocalyptic Optimism Could Be the Antidote for Climate Fatalism*
/Dana R. Fisher /
After 28 years of failed climate negotiations, scientifically informed
emissions reductions set by governments have languished. Consequently,
the pace at which the world is mitigating and adapting to the threat of
climate change is far too slow to meet the challenge. Carbon
concentrations in the atmosphere continue to rise quickly, as the ice
sheets melt and climate shocks—like droughts, floods, and
heatwaves—increase in frequency and intensity.

Meanwhile, leadership of the climate negotiations at this late hour has
been relegated to petrostates and former fossil fuel executives, which
has helped make it impossible to agree upon, let alone implement,
policies that could save us from the worst of the climate crisis. The
writing is on the wall: the only way for things to get better is after
they get much worse. Lives will be lost, and social conflict driven by
climate migration and competition for increasingly scarce resources will
proliferate. These look like insurmountable odds, and in many ways they
are. But there is a slim chance that we can slow climate change enough
to preserve our planet and minimize the catastrophe that is just around
the corner.

I call myself an apocalyptic optimist. I believe we can save ourselves
from the climate crisis that we have caused; I also believe it will only
be possible with a mass mobilization driven by the pain and suffering of
climate shocks around the world. As the social effects of climate shocks
grow in both frequency and severity, I predict they will motivate an
AnthroShift where personal and economic risk reaches a critical
threshold that leads people to alter their behaviors and force
governments and businesses to transition aggressively away from fossil
fuels. This process requires halting all fossil fuel subsidies and
stopping all efforts to extract more fossil fuels to be burned at home
or exported for use abroad. Such AnthroShifts can open up windows of
opportunity for innovative social change—but only, as I have discussed
in detail elsewhere, if the risks are both severe and durable.

The COVID-19 pandemic offers a recent example of an AnthroShift where
risk durability was too low for the social changes to be sustained long
term. In spring 2020, we changed our behaviors overnight to limit the
transmission of the coronavirus and flatten the curve. We wore masks, we
homeschooled our kids, we disinfected our groceries, we accepted not
seeing family for holidays, and we even made our own bread. The social
changes were so notable, in fact, that climate activist Greta Thunberg
shrewdly observed early in the pandemic: “The coronavirus is a terrible
event…. But it also shows one thing: That once we are in a crisis…we can
act fast and change our habits and treat a crisis like a crisis.”
However, as vaccines reduced the threat of the disease, the world opened
back up. Our lives shifted back to normal (or at least close to it), and
the window of opportunity for big social change closed.

The social responses to the pandemic showed us that the type of systemic
changes needed to address the climate crisis are possible. But they also
made clear that without a sustained shock that has tangible costs to
people and property, those changes will be ephemeral and social actors
will regress back to a business-as-usual trajectory. Imagine what would
have happened if COVID-19 vaccines had not been developed or if the
disease had mutated in a way that was even more deadly.

There are no vaccines or any other sort of silver bullets to save us
from the climate crisis. To make matters worse, the level of shock
needed to motivate sustained social change on the climate front is even
higher than it is in a public-health context, given the many actors with
vested interests in maintaining their access to the resources and power
in our fossil-fuel-dependent economy.

The social responses to the pandemic showed us that the type of systemic
changes needed to address the climate crisis are possible. But they also
made clear that without a sustained shock that has tangible costs to
people and property, those changes will be ephemeral and social actors
will regress back to a business-as-usual trajectory. Imagine what would
have happened if COVID-19 vaccines had not been developed or if the
disease had mutated in a way that was even more deadly.

There are no vaccines or any other sort of silver bullets to save us
from the climate crisis. To make matters worse, the level of shock
needed to motivate sustained social change on the climate front is even
higher than it is in a public-health context, given the many actors with
vested interests in maintaining their access to the resources and power
in our fossil-fuel-dependent economy.

It is possible that more confrontational activism could be more
effective, and calls for such an approach are growing. To date, though,
we are nowhere near the level of mass mobilization needed.

We can look to history to see what kinds of crises have triggered the
level of drastic social changes needed to reach a tipping point that
motivates an AnthroShift that would be sufficiently wide spread and long
lasting to limit climate change: war, economic depression, and natural
disaster. Indeed, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s most
recent report suggests that world war and widescale economic depression
are possible consequences of climate change. The most likely, though, is
natural disaster.

The climate shocks to come have the potential to motivate an AnthroShift
that reorients all the sectors of society to respond meaningfully to the
climate crisis. Without them, the best we can hope for is incremental
change that does not disrupt the current political and economic
powers—and we’ve seen how effective that has been over the last 28
years. The climate disaster that is coming is inevitable at this point,
but it may also be our only hope for meaningful change. In the meantime,
the best way through the climate crisis is to build strong ties within
our communities, create solidarity, and cultivate social and
environmental resilience capable of supporting one another and
exploiting the windows of opportunity when the apocalypse arrives.

/Dana R. Fisher is the director of the Center for Environment,
Community, and Equity and a professor in the School of International
Service at American University. She is the author of a number of books,
most recently Saving Ourselves: From Climate Shocks to Climate Action./
https://time.com/6565499/apocalyptic-optimism-climate-change/

- -

/[ New book in March ]/
*Saving Ourselves