[✔️] March 9, 2024 Global Warming News | More fossil energy, Inexorable rise, Hostile persuasion, Nate Hagens explains it, Climate change and war, Air lines flights and global warming, World change, 2017 Pruit

Sat Mar 9 08:34:11 EST 2024

/*March*//*9, 2024*/

/[ disappointed, but we are not surprised ]/
*The U.S. has never produced more energy than it does today*
Oil, gas, and renewables are all growing.
by KARIN KIRK
MARCH 6, 2024
U.S. energy production is going gangbusters.

Despite persistent false claims that the Biden administration is waging
an “unprecedented assault” on American energy, the U.S. is producing
energy at a pace never seen before and from a broad mix of sources and
locations throughout the country. In fact, the data illustrates that
we’re experiencing an unprecedented renaissance of American energy
production and innovation.

The chart below is interactive – hover over the lines to see the details.
https://www.eia.gov/totalenergy/data/browser/index.php?tbl=T01.02#/?f=M&start=200211&end=202310&charted=1-2-3-6-13
This graph shows primary energy production data from the Energy
Information Administration. For fossil fuels, "primary energy
production" is the energy content in the coal, oil, or gas that’s
extracted. For nuclear and renewables, it’s the amount of electricity
generated. Note that this is not the same as energy consumed; it’s
simply the energy produced.

The production of oil, methane gas (commonly called “natural” gas), and
renewables is growing. Nuclear power is holding fairly steady, and the
only source of energy that has declined significantly is coal.

The largest sources of energy production in the U.S. are oil and gas.
Extraction of these fuels began to surge around 2007 when the
development of hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, gave rise to the shale
oil boom. Oil and gas production continues to set records, even while
U.S. consumption of oil is declining and methane gas consumption is not
increasing at anywhere near the rate of production. The end result is
that the U.S. is exporting more of these fuels than ever.

*Renewables count for more than they appear.*
Renewables may look small on the graph above, but the more accurate
interpretation is that fossil fuels appear much larger than the useful
energy they provide. Burning fossil fuels in power plants or internal
combustion engines is highly inefficient. The majority of energy in
every barrel of oil and rail car of coal ends up as wasted heat.
Renewables don’t need to transform heat into electricity, so they avoid
the energy losses that are inherent in burning fuels to create
electricity. The upshot is that every unit of wind, hydro, or solar will
replace double or triple that amount of fossil fuels.

Energy savings are an added benefit of switching to renewables, as is
illustrated in the chart below. For more details, see the accompanying
story, The little-known, massive advantage that renewables hold over coal.
https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2024/03/the-u-s-has-never-produced-more-energy-than-it-does-today/

- -

/[ Beckwith reads the research paper - presumably all fossil fuel will
be combusted ]/
*The Inexorable Rise of Fossil Fuel Production Despite Empty Promises*
Paul Beckwith
Mar 7, 2024
Despite promises to reduce fossil fuel production, the inexorable rise
continues.

I chat about a so-called “Production Gap” UNEP (United Nations
Environmental Program) report that was published for the last COP
climate conference.

“The Production Gap Report — first launched in 2019 — tracks the
discrepancy between governments’ planned fossil fuel production and
global production levels consistent with limiting warming to 1.5°C
(there already) or 2°C (there in 15 years). (My comments in brackets).”

“The 2023 Production Gap Report: “Phasing down or phasing up? Top fossil
fuel producers plan even more extraction despite climate promises” finds
that governments plan to produce around  110% more fossil fuels in
2030 than would be consistent with limiting warming to 1.5°C, and 69%
more than would be consistent with 2°C.

“The Report provides newly expanded country profiles for 20 major
fossil-fuel-producing countries: Australia, Brazil, Canada, China,
Colombia, Germany, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Mexico,
Nigeria, Norway, Qatar, the Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, South
Africa, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom of Great Britain
and Northern Ireland, and the United States of America. These profiles
show that most of these governments continue to provide significant
policy and financial support for fossil fuel production.

“We cannot address climate catastrophe without tackling its root cause:
fossil fuel dependence. COP28 must send a clear signal that the fossil
fuel age is out of gas — that its end is inevitable. We need credible
commitments to ramp up renewables, phase out fossil fuels, and boost
energy efficiency, while ensuring a just, equitable transition’’ said UN
Secretary-General António Guterres.”

Report Summary: https://www.unep.org/resources/production-gap-report-2023

Executive Summary: “The Production Gap — Phasing down or phasing up? Top
fossil fuel producers plan even more extraction despite climate
promises”: https://productiongap.org/

Detailed Report PDF of 126 pages:
https://productiongap.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/PGR2023_web_rev.pdf

“Governments, in aggregate, still plan to produce more than double the
amount of fossil fuels in 2030 than would be consistent with limiting
warming to 1.5°C. The persistence of the global production gap puts a
well-managed and equitable energy transition at risk.”

“Taken together, government plans and projections would lead to an
increase in global coal production until 2030, and in global oil and gas
production until at least 2050. This conflicts with government
commitments under the Paris Agreement, and clashes with expectations
that global demand for coal, oil, and gas will peak within this decade
even without new policies.”

“Governments play a central role in setting the direction of future
fossil fuel production. State-owned entities control half of global
production for oil and gas and over half for coal. Governments’ existing
targets, policies, and support for fossil fuel production help to
influence, legitimize, and enable continued investments in domestic and
international fossil fuel projects, which are undermining the transition
to renewable energy and global climate mitigation efforts.
At the same time, many fossil fuel projects planned and under
development are now at risk of becoming stranded assets as the world
decarbonizes and global demand for coal, oil, and gas are expected to
peak and decline within this decade, even without additional policies.”

“Given risks and uncertainties of CCS and CDR, countries should aim for
a near total phase-out of coal production and use by 2040 and a combined
reduction in oil and gas production and use by three-quarters by 2050
from 2020 levels, at a minimum. The potential failure of these measures
to become sufficiently viable at scale, the non-climatic near-term harms
of fossil fuels, and other lines of evidence, call for an even more
rapid global phase-out of all fossil fuels.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF4sUtYERZc

/[ Hostile persuasion in local governments - Peter Sinclair reports - 11
min video]/
*Farmers Getting Threats, Intimidation and Abuse for Siting Clean Energy*
greenmanbucket
Mar 8, 2024

    ... the crazy thing was if you went around the county it was the
    same dozen
    or two dozen people that would go to every single Township board
    meeting and
    try and intimidate it didn't matter if they lived in the township or
    not and
    you saw the same people going to all these meetings all the time
    same people
    it was predictable they're yelling and and saying horrible things to
    people and
    how horrible our Township officials are there'd be probably 40 50
    people there.
    A lot of them from different townships different counties at first
    there was
    like six or eight people from the township that were truly anti-wind
    to the point of being
    it controlled their life I mean this is all they think about these

    um either National groups or state level groups that come in and
    help these
    Advocates organize and they have a template and all the signs look
    the same
    all the signs that they put up on the roadside and all the websites
    look the
    same and they're the same stock photos of a wind turbine on fire
    that have been
    used hundreds and hundreds of times over they're the same debunked
    theories and
    debunked studies from years ago if you look at the things that are being
    presented on our community

      you'll see those same exact tactics whether it's in Ohio or
    Indiana or wherever you're
    talking about same exact information being shared Facebook to
    Facebook same
    stuff being shared at township meetings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_O28q1URH8

/[  a wise explanation of the energy economy and AI - We are playing a
Zero Sum Great Game - a 2006 analysis still applies  ]/
*"Peak Oil, AI, and the Straw" | Frankly 56*
Nate Hagens
Mar 8, 2024

In this Frankly, Nate shares his perspective on the new all-time high in
oil production in the context of AI’s growing influence in the financial
markets and technology space. While ‘all liquids’ just hit an all time
high, the varying categories of what is considered oil obfuscates a long
plateau that is starting to decline. However, given AI’s expanding
reach, it may not only invent ways of getting a higher percentage of
Original Oil In Place to our economies, but also increase demand for
energy worldwide. In similar fashion to shale fracking, MMT, and debt,
AI will increasingly widen the resource extraction/ecosystem damage
“straw”. Artificial intelligence is potentially a wonderful tool, but it
is lower down the hierarchy than money/power maximization and thus will
accelerate, not diminish climate change and other environmental damages.
Can we resist the cleverness of AI and its ability to drain sources to
the very last drop to instead navigate the road to the Great
Simplification with wisdom?

For Show Notes and More:
https://www.thegreatsimplification.com/frankly-original/56-peak-oil-ai-and-the-straw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxqxq4sUfh8

/[ Johns Hopkins University - The Bologna Institute for Policy Research
(BIPR) is the research division ] /
*The Pentagon, Climate Change, and War*
JHU BIPR
Feb 19, 2024
Neta C. Crawford, Montague Burton Chair in International Relations,
Oxford University
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dxanSOZQN4

/[ Yes global warming will affect airline travel - this is an early and
rare mention of a difficult landing ]/
*We Must Land NOW!! The Incredible Story of Singapore Airlines Flight 319*
Mentour Pilot
  Nov 11, 2023
I have no doubt that at some point you have all been sitting in the
departure lounge looking out at terrible weather and wishing that it to
go away before it’s your turn to take to the skys.  Flying in bad
weather is never fun but when it passes, can make our flight so much
more enjoyable However, what do you do when that weather you’re flying
through is actually chasing your aircraft, wherever you go and refuses
to let you land!?  Let’s find out...
- -
The final report came to the conclusion that the incident happened due
to poor weather and the pilot's preference to land at their destination
airport
rather than diverting earlier. Interestingly enough, this is the first
report I have ever read that gives direct reference
to the impact of climate change and the more intense storms it's giving
rise to which is also impacting the pilot's decision-making.
Singapore Airlines included this incident in their pilot-training
programs in several ways and that, together with better briefing material
and more emphasis on fuel planning was enough for the investigators to
not issue any further recommendations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERXG4qoI4TA

/[ needing radical transformation ]/
*Why We Need a World Without Cars*
Our Changing Climate
In this Our Changing Climate climate change video essay, I look at the
future of transportation. Specifically, I uncover why we need a world
without cars. Instead, we need a future of dense interconnected public
transit that is anti-racist, anti-ableist, and anti-capitalist. A
transportation system that prioritizes people through pedestrian, bike,
and public transit-centered design.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpo1iiuSumM

/[The news archive - Scott the snot ]/
/*March 9, 2017 */
*March 9, 2017: In an appearance on CNBC, EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt
denies human-caused climate change. *

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/09/epa-chief-scott-pruitt.html

https://thinkprogress.org/epa-head-falsely-claims-carbon-emissions-arent-the-cause-of-global-warming-262bd9b0937e#.oaigkdwq0

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/09/us/politics/epa-scott-pruitt-global-warming.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

   5 weekday
Every weekday morning

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers.  Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli