[✔️] March 10, 2024 Global Warming News | AI meets climate, Isle Wight, Doomeristic music, Asteroids risk, 2014 Ronan and Bernie

Sun Mar 10 10:44:47 EDT 2024

/*March*//*10, 2024*/

/[ a plausible speculation - clips from The Guardian ]/
*AI likely to increase energy use and accelerate climate misinformation
– report*
Claims that artificial intelligence will help solve the climate crisis
are misguided, warns a coalition of environmental groups
Oliver Milman
@olliemilman
Thu 7 Mar 2024
Claims that artificial intelligence will help solve the climate crisis
are misguided, with the technology instead likely cause rising energy
use and turbocharge the spread of climate disinformation, a coalition of
environmental groups has warned.

Advances in AI have been touted by big tech companies and the United
Nations as a way to help ameliorate global heating, via tools that help
track deforestation, identify pollution leaks and track extreme weather
events. AI is already being used to predict droughts in Africa and to
measure changes to melting icebergs...
- -
However, a new report by green groups has cast doubt over whether the AI
revolution will have a positive impact upon the climate crisis, warning
that the technology will spur growing energy use from data centers and
the proliferation of falsehoods about climate science.

“We seem to be hearing all the time that AI can save the planet, but we
shouldn’t be believing this hype,” said Michael Khoo, climate
disinformation program director at Friends of the Earth, which is part
of the Climate Action against Disinformation coalition that put out the
report.

“It’s not like AI is ridding us of the internal combustion engine.
People will be outraged to see how much more energy is being consumed by
AI in the coming years, as well as how it will flood the zone with
disinformation about climate change.”
The burgeoning electricity demands of AI means that a doubling of data
centers to help keep pace with the industry will cause an 80% increase
in planet-heating emissions, even if there are measures to improve the
energy efficiency of these centers, the new report states.

In the US, there is already evidence that the life of coal-fired power
plants is being prolonged to meet the rising energy demands of AI. In
just three years from now, AI servers could be consuming as much energy
as Sweden does, separate research has found.

Much of this increased energy demand comes from the added complexity of
AI operations – generating AI queries could require as much as 10 times
the computing power as a regular online search. Training ChatGPT, the
OpenAI system, can use as much energy as 120 US households over the
course of a year, the report claims.

“There is no basis to believe AI’s presence will reduce energy use, all
the evidence indicates it will massively increase energy use due to all
the new data centers,” said Khoo. “We know there will be small gains in
efficiency in data centers, but the simple math is that carbon emissions
will go up.”

AI will further hinder efforts to constrain the climate emergency by
providing an easier way for people or organizations to disseminate false
or misleading statements about climate science and the impacts of rising
global temperatures, the coalition’s report adds.

This will worsen a situation whereby major social media platforms, such
as Twitter/X, have already become a hotbed of climate science denial,
the AI critics say...
- -
“We can see AI fracturing the information ecosystem just as we need it
to pull it back together,” Khoo said. “AI is perfect for flooding the
zone for quick, cheaply produced crap. You can easily see how it will be
a tool for climate disinformation. We will see people micro-targeted
with climate disinformation content in a sort of relentless way.”

There should be better transparency about AI energy use, the report
states, as well as safeguards that monitor the output of climate falsehoods.

Jesse Dodge, senior research scientist at the at the Allen Institute for
AI, said that he shared concerns that AI will be used to “accelerate”
climate misinformation, through methods such as deepfake videos and
pictures, as well adding to carbon emissions through increased energy use.

“Overall, this is a concern,” he said. “The application of the AI
itself, though, can be potentially more impactful than its electricity
or water consumption. AI is an accelerant, it lets you do something
faster, so it could help you extract oil more quickly, but on the other
hand we have six teams using AI to mitigate the harm of climate change.

“One does climate modeling, another tracks illegal fishing and
endangered species, there’s the monitoring and predicting of wildfires.
We believe there’s an overall net benefit there, that there’s a
worthwhile trade-off.”

Dodge said that he was “cautiously optimistic” that AI will have a
largely favorable impact upon the climate crisis, but that companies
needed to be fully transparent and open about their energy use.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2024/mar/07/ai-climate-change-energy-disinformation-report

/[  A Climate Forecast  Isle of Wight - audio only ]/
*Mar 9, 2024  ClimateCast with Tom Heap*
Climate change has led to storms becoming more extreme and rising sea
levels, threatening the future of coastal communities around the UK.

The British Geological Survey suggests up to 1.35 million homes could be
at risk by the end of the century without further sea defences.

On this week's ClimateCast with Tom Heap, the team are on the Isle of
Wight and in north Norfolk hearing from people who are losing their
homes to the sea and from others fighting to protect their properties.

Tom also speaks to those who make the decisions on what should and
shouldn't be saved from the sea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd_gg4Mh9-A
- -
/[armchair visit to the Isle of Wight ]/
*Isle of Wight*
Largest island in England with dramatic nature & public transport to the
mainland by hovercraft.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Isle+of+Wight/@50.67111

/[  super doomeristic music-video expressionism - then a discussion -
tap in to alternate reality ]/
*Are we attending "The End Of The World Party"?*
Environmental Coffeehouse
Streamed live 3.9.24
Welcome Scott Brown, from The End of the World Party. Scott is a
musician, a doomer and a writer. Scott and I have been following each
other on TwitX (yeah, I know) for quite awhile and have been trying to
get this show together for over a year. This will be a live discussion,
so we will be inclusive of the chat for sure. No topic will be
untouched, the climate crisis, music, writing, Gaza, US politics,
Project 2025, and more.
The End Of The World Party-
  / @theendoftheworldparty1850
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSCVBclil7I

/[ Asteroids can eliminate peaceful civilization - more certainly than
human caused global warming.  ]/
*The End of Life on Earth*
Gresham College
Apr 12, 2023  DAVID GAME COLLEGE
Astronomically speaking, there are a number of ways in which life on
Earth could be wiped out. For example, a giant asteroid could hit Earth
with such energy that the oceans are boiled off.

This lecture will assess which astronomical events are likely and which
are not. [It will not consider anthropogenic means by which life on
Earth might end].

A lecture  by Katherine Blundell OBE recorded on 29 March 2023 at David
Game College, London.

The transcript and downloadable versions of the lecture are available
from the Gresham College website:
https://www.gresham.ac.uk/watch-now/e...

/[The news archive -  ]/
/*March 10, 2014 */
March 10, 2014:
• On MSNBC's "Ronan Farrow Daily," Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) discusses
the all-night climate-change symposium Democratic and independent
Senators will hold that evening.
http://on.msnbc.com/1fkoDvA

   5 weekday
Every weekday morning

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers.  Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli