[✔️] March 11, 2024 Global Warming News | Move faster, Warmest winter, Hollywood and global warming, Enjoy problems, 2009 language

Tue Mar 12 07:56:27 EDT 2024

/*March*//*ll, 2024*/

/[ The Conversation - need to quickly - accept wise advice ]
/*The world is not moving fast enough on climate change — social
sciences can help explain why*/
/Published: March 10, 2024
    Fayola Helen Jacobs - Assistant Professor of urban planning,
University of Minnesota
    Candis Callison - Associate professor, School of Public Policy and
Global Affairs, and Institute for Critical Indigenous Studies,
University of British Columbia
    Elizabeth Marino - Associate Professor of Anthropology, Oregon State
University
In late 2023 the United States government released its Fifth National
Climate Assessment (NCA). The NCA is a semi-regular summation of the
impacts of climate change upon the U.S. and the fifth assessment was
notable for being the first to include a chapter on social systems and
justice.

Built on decades of social science research on climate change, the fifth
NCA contends with two truths that are increasingly being reckoned with
in U.S. popular and academic conversations.

The first is that climate change has the potential to exacerbate health,
social and economic outcomes for Black, Indigenous, people of colour
(BIPOC) and low-income communities. The second is that social systems
and institutions — including governmental, cultural, spiritual and
economic structures — are the only places where adaptation and
mitigation can occur.
We only have to compare mortality rates for the COVID-19 pandemic
disaggregated by race, income, and other axes of inequality to recognize
that we are not all in the same boat, despite experiencing the same
storm. Today, race and income similarly predict who is likely to be
displaced permanently after a major hurricane — and forced relocation
can have negative impacts on individuals and communities for generations.

Understanding how existing social systems influence, and are influenced
by, climate change is key to not only slowing the effects of an
increasingly warming Earth, but also ensuring that society’s transition
to a new world is a just one.

And there is no doubt that we are indeed facing a new world.

Decades of scientific research have shown that increasingly devastating
and rapid climatic changes are ahead of us, including more intense
hurricanes, droughts and floods.

Our recent levels of resource consumption — particularly in the Global
North and countries with large developing economies — are untenable. To
be clear, the world is responding to these risks with the U.S. alone
achieving a 13 percent decrease in annual greenhouse gas emissions
between 2005 and 2019, but these responses are not good enough.

It is the purview of social scientists — the scientists tasked with
studying human society and social relationships in all of their
complexity — to ask why.
What is it about the ethics, cultures, economies, and symbols at play in
the world that have made it so difficult to turn the tide and make
change? Why do we — individuals, societies, cultures, and nations —
mostly seem unable to curb emissions at the rates necessary to save
ourselves and our planet?

These are questions that can only partially be answered by new
information and technologies developed by physical scientists and
engineers. We also need an understanding of how humans behave. Having
new technology matters for little if you do not also understand how
social, economic and political decisions are made — and how certain
groups are able to develop habits around lower rates of emissions and
consumption.

We know that inequitable systems create unevenly distributed risk and
capacities to respond. For example, a hurricane’s intensity scale is
less predictive of its mortality rates than the socio-economic
conditions within the nation where the storm makes landfall.
Understanding these dynamics is the only way to respond to climate
change in a way that does not entrench deep tendencies towards racist,
sexist and classist landscapes of vulnerability.

*Empowering real change*
Recognizing that disasters and climate disruptions have the potential to
make inequality worse also means that we have the opportunity to do better.

There are a range of outcomes that may stem from climate related
disasters with a vast inventory of what is possible. There are also
hopeful examples that point the way to rich collaborations and problem
solving. For example, Tulsa, Okla. was the most frequently flooded city
in the U.S. from the 1960s into the 1980s, but a coalition of concerned
citizens came together with the city government to create a floodplain
management plan that serves as a model for other cities.

In another example, Indigenous communities around the U.S. have some of
the most proactive planning in place for adapting to climate change,
despite histories of persecution, theft and violent exploitation.
There is an adage that says in order to go quickly, go alone; if you
want to go far, go together. Make no mistake, climate change is the most
urgent issue of our time. However, moving quickly and carelessly will
serve only to re-entrench existing social, economic, political and
environmental inequalities.

Instead, we must look at other ways of being in the world. We can repair
and recreate our relationships with the Earth and the consumption that
has gotten us to this point. We can pay attention and listen to global
Indigenous peoples and others who have cared for this earth for millennia.

We must be more creative with our solutions and committed to ensuring
that all, and not just a privileged few, are able to live in a better
world than the one in which they were born into. Technological
approaches alone will not achieve this goal. To build a better world we
need the social sciences.
https://theconversation.com/the-world-is-not-moving-fast-enough-on-climate-change-social-sciences-can-help-explain-why-218091/

/[ clear data -   ]/
*The warmest winter in U.S. history leaves its mark*
Snow cover was scarce, the Great Lakes were mostly ice-free, and a
million-acre wildfire tore across Texas.
by BOB HENSON
MARCH 8, 2024
The nation’s third warmest February on record secured a place for winter
2023-24 as the warmest in U.S. records going back to 1895, according to
the monthly climate update issued by NOAA on March 8.
Using the climatological definition of the season — December through
February — winter 2023-24 averaged 37.6°F for the 48 contiguous U.S.
states, soaring 0.82°F above the previous record from winter 2015-16.
This stands as the biggest margin from one year to the next-warmest year
across the entire 129-year database of winter temperatures. As in
2015-16, this winter’s U.S. warmth was boosted by a strong El Niño event.
Each of the four seasons has now seen record U.S. warmth since 2010,
including spring 2012, summer 2021 (tying 1936), and autumn 2016.

Winter 2023-24 was the warmest on record for eight states stretching
across the nation’s northern tier, from North Dakota to New Hampshire. A
phenomenal three-quarters of the 48 contiguous states had a
top-10-warmest winter (see Figure 2).

Winter as a whole would have been even more record-smashingly mild had
it not been for a sharp few days of cold and widespread snow in
mid-to-late January. That month only came in as the nation’s
48th-warmest January, but December’s record warmth and February’s
third-place finish pushed the season as a whole to the top of the heat
rankings.
The winter-scale warmth was especially striking in the Upper Midwest.
Among the record-melting stats pulled together for Minneapolis-St. Paul
by meteorologist Tony D (@WX_TD):

18 days reached at least 50°F (old record: eight days in 1980-81)
only 23 days dipped to or below 20°F (old record: 34 days in 1877-78)
As for February, every contiguous U.S. state came in much milder than
average. It was the warmest February on record for four states — Iowa,
Minnesota, Missouri, and Wisconsin —and a top-10 warmest for 24 states
in all across most of the Plains, Midwest, and Northeast, from  Texas to
North Dakota to Maine.

Unlike January, there was no nationwide cold blast to interrupt
February’s mildness in any major way. In fact, data compiled by
independent meteorologist Guy Walton show that the nation set or tied
just 45 daily record low minima in February, compared to 2,908 record
high maxima.
Lots of rain, not much snow – and a mammoth fire in Texas
Winter 2023-24 was the 31st-wettest for the contiguous U.S. in 129 years
of record-keeping. If this had been a chilly winter more typical of last
century, all that precipitation might have translated into blankets of
snow cover. Instead, this winter’s moisture fell largely as rain. On a
number of days this winter, snow extent across the 48 contiguous states
dipped into record-low territory for the date in satellite data
extending back to 2003, including during the run-up to the year-end
holidays.

Ice cover extent across the Great Lakes plunged to record-low values in
midwinter, as discussed by Jeff Masters in a February 16 post. On
average, Great Lakes ice extent peaks in early March, with close to 40%
coverage typical (see Figure 5). As of March 7, a mere 2.2% of the lake
surface was ice-covered, the lowest extent for the date in 51 years of
record-keeping.
The major urban areas of the mid-Atlantic and Northeast did see a couple
of noteworthy snows in January and February, as several cities notched
their first calendar day with an inch of snow in more than two years.
However, several other potentially big snowstorms missed the mark. In
February, one major system dumped record February rains in Colorado, and
another produced an intense but narrow snow streak from Pennsylvania
into the New York City area.
Averaged nationwide, February precipitation came in as the 40th-lowest
among 130 years of record-keeping. It was a top-10 driest February for
12 states from the Midwest to the Northeast, including New York and
every New England state. A major snowstorm socked California’s Sierra
Nevada just as February was segueing into March.

Largely in line with El Niño expectations, winter precipitation was
lower than average over much of the Northwest and higher than average
across the Southwest. With a rapid transition to La Niña now looking
increasingly likely by midyear, the odds of drought across the nation’s
Sunbelt will once again be rising. So the last two consecutive years of
generous moisture and snowpack across California and the Southwest will
serve as crucial buffers for water supply – although the risk of
wildfire will jump as soon as the landscape dries out.
The Texas Panhandle shared in the El Niño moisture, recording one of its
wettest winters on record. However, the grasslands of Texas can dry out
quickly in late winter. In the last days of February, fierce winds and
record-warm temperatures ended up stoking what appears to be the largest
fire in modern U.S. history outside of Alaska.

Growing to 500,000 acres in its first day alone (February 26-27), the
Smokehouse Creek Fire tore from just north of Amarillo eastward into
extreme western Oklahoma. The blaze had scorched 1,058,570 acres as of
March 8, putting it ahead of the August Complex, California’s largest
wildfire on record (1,032,648 acres). At least two people were killed by
the Smokehouse Creek Fire and at least 130 structures have destroyed.
Jeff Masters contributed to this post.
Bob Henson is a meteorologist and journalist based in Boulder, Colorado.
https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2024/03/the-warmest-winter-in-u-s-history-leaves-its-mark/

/[ now that you have watched the Oscar's ]/
*Plot twister: A new test gauges Hollywood's depictions of global
warming. Will it make a difference?*
Scientists have proposed a new litmus test for climate change in film.
Experts are torn over whether it will help
By MATTHEW ROZSA
Good feminists or adept film buffs may be familiar with the Bechdel
Test, a metric for gauging female representation in film. Created by
comic author Alison Bechdel in the 1980s, a movie has to meet three
standards to pass: It must have at least two women in it, the women need
to talk to each other and they should discuss something other than a man.

A climate script consultancy is so determined to raise awareness about
climate change, they created a new version of the Bechdel Test (also
known as the Bechdel–Wallace Test), to hold Hollywood accountable for
how it depicts one of the biggest existential crises of our time.
*"Climate change is not an incidental plot point. It is the very focus
of human survival and will soon become the central story of our time."*
According to the group Good Energy in partnership with Colby College’s
Matthew Schneider-Mayerson, the so-called Climate Reality Check performs
a similar function for raising global warming awareness. For a movie to
pass the Climate Reality Check, its world must include climate change
and a character who knows about it. This only applies to movies set in
the present or near future, on Earth and in our shared universe. So
don't expect Darth Vader to suddenly start talking about global heating.

So how well does Hollywood hold up to this standard? Good Energy and
Schneider-Meyerson analyzed thirteen of the thirty-four feature length
fictional films nominated for Oscars in 2024 through their Climate
Reality Check.
The movies included "American Fiction," "Anatomy of a Fall," "Barbie,"
"Past Lives," "Mission: Impossible—Dead Reckoning Part One," "The
Creator," "Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse," "Io Capitano," "May
December," "Nyad," "Perfect Days," "The Teachers’ Lounge" and "Godzilla
Minus One." Only three of those motion pictures passed the Climate
Reality Check: "Barbie," "Nyad" and "Mission Impossible."
"We hope to see 50% of Oscar-nominated films (that are set on Earth in
the present or future) pass the Climate Reality Check by 2027," the
authors of the Climate Reality Check write. They add later on their
website that their goal "was to ensure the test was easy to use,
measurable and creatively inspiring."

"I believe this test is a good reminder that climate change exists in
our daily lives in a multitude of ways, whether or not we see it on
screen," Anna Jane Joyner, Founder of Good Energy, told Salon by email.
Joyner also said it is "incredible" that "three of the most celebrated
films of the year talked about climate change in very different and
fact-based ways, as it intersects with consumerism, national security,
and our species and ecosystems. If you put a mirror to our daily lives,
the narrative opportunity is limitless."

Not everyone thinks the Climate Reality Check is going to achieve as
much good as its creators believe — including some respected scientists.
"My initial reaction is that this feels a bit hokey," Walt Meier, Senior
Research Scientist at the National Snow and Ice Data Center at
CIRES/University of Colorado, told Salon. "I’m all for greater exposure
to and understanding of climate change science, but I don’t think it
makes sense to force it into a plot where it doesn’t fit."

Meier argued that the original Bechdel Test was created to illustrate
how women are marginalized in movies, and was "fundamentally different"
from a climate change test because of the divergent contexts.

"Female characters are often marginalized in movies and are not given
realistic roles with depth. In virtually any movie, there is the
opportunity to do so in a natural and realistic way for female
characters," Meier pointed out. "I don’t think that that is necessarily
the case for climate change. Of course, one could wedge it in, but if it
feels forced, I don’t think it would have a beneficial effect."

Joshua Colwell, a physicist at the University of Central Florida, has
first-hand experience ensuring scientific accuracy in movies: He worked
as a "comet adviser" on the 1998 film "Deep Impact," which is widely
regarded by scientists as one of the most scientifically accurate films
in the disaster genre — not that that's exactly a high bar. According to
Colwell, movies in general have the potential to raise public awareness
about pressing issues like climate change. His question about the new
Bechdel Test is whether it will be widely known enough to have a
positive effect.
"As for the test itself, its impact will depend on the extent to which
movie studios and the public care about passing the test," Colwell told
Salon. "I applaud the effort to try to raise awareness, and I’d be
curious to see results for all major theatrical releases, not just
Oscar-nominated films."
"The line in 'Mission Impossible' that makes the movie pass the test is,
I think, spot on," Colwell continued. "It points out that the
combination of dwindling energy supplies and damage to food supply
systems through environmental destruction are a grave global
geopolitical threat.
Colwell also emphasized that addressing climate change is not just about
saving polar bears. "It’s about averting mass famine, widespread
migration and the spread of armed conflict. There’s a reason the U.S.
Department of Defense identifies climate change as a serious threat to
national security," he said.

Acclaimed screenwriter Bruce Joel Rubin, who co-wrote "Deep Impact,"
said it's hard to say whether the test will help, but it definitely
won’t hurt as Hollywood "probably need plots more focused on the
problem." Rubin singled out "The End We Start From," a lesser-known
survival film starring Jodie Comer, as a quality 2023 movie about
climate change.

"Climate change is not an incidental plot point," Rubin said. "It is the
very focus of human survival and will soon become the central story of
our time, assuming we still have a civilization able to engage the
unfolding drama that surrounds us all."

Meier told Salon that he has seen several of the best picture nominees
for this year's Oscars, and argued that going through the list helps
illustrate the test's ineffectiveness. For instance, "American Fiction"
is a comedy set in our universe but has a plot that in no ways
intersects with climate change. "There is a beach house in the movie, so
sure, they could have the characters say something about concerns over
sea level rise. But it would be forced and would detract from the main
focus of the movie," Meier said.
On the other hand, Meier points out that one of the Oscar season's
biggest contenders, "Oppenheimer," can be perceived through a very
interesting light when filtered through the test. After all, it is the
true story of a brilliant and perceptive scientist whose accurate
warnings were ignored by policymakers.

"'Oppenheimer' certainly has relevance for climate change in terms of
the potential negative effects of human technology and our ability to
make powerful changes in the environment," Meier said, later adding in
his observation that "I think there are connections to climate change
that are interesting to discuss, but I don’t think climate change would
fit within the movie itself."
Edward Maibach, a professor at George Mason University and director of
the organization's Center for Climate Change Communication, offered his
own possibility: "To pass the test, at least one sympathetic (i.e., not
villainous) main or supporting character must either directly express
concern about climate change and/or support for government or corporate
action to deal with climate change; and/or take a meaningful action in
support of government or corporate climate solutions (e.g., voting,
calling their elected representative, selecting one brand over another
because of the parent company’s climate commitments)."

By contrast, Kevin Trenberth — who is part of the Climate Analysis
Section at the U.S. NCAR National Center for Atmospheric Research —
speculated that it is "unlikely" that the Climate Reality Check will
improve the general public's scientific literacy. "A few movies that
focused on weather or climate have things quite unrealistic," Trenberth
told Salon, listing "The Day After Tomorrow," "Twister" and "Waterworld"
as egregious examples. He said that if Hollywood wants to depict climate
change accurately, it should show widespread droughts, wildfires,
extreme storms and flooding. These stories "mostly get reported as
isolated events not part of a bigger picture that describes why they
occur," he said.
Finally, Ann Merchant, the deputy executive director for communications
at the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine — and
manager of the Science & Entertainment Exchange, an organization that
exists to promote scientific accuracy in mainstream Hollywood releases —
pointed to recent Pew data that suggests a majority of Americans view
climate change as a bona fide threat to our future. This can be where
Hollywood could help things out.

"Though when you pull that number apart by political affiliation there’s
a big difference between Democrats and Republicans," Merchant said.
"This kind of unpacking is what accounts for the necessity for different
messaging for different audiences on this topic. A story that lands with
one viewer might be entirely ineffective with another, which is why we
need a variety of stories on this topic."
Merchant added, "In general, we’d like to see more films and television
shows where climate change is featured in differing ways, but with a
consistent emphasis on positive outcomes that are derived by activating
evidence-based solutions. Which is a super wonky way of saying that the
nihilistic, apocalyptic stories don’t really help much. We need more
deeply personal stories of hope, change and survival."
https://www.salon.com/2024/03/10/plot-twister-a-new-test-gauges-hollywoods-depictions-of-global-warming-will-it-make-a-difference/

/[ accept the predicament ]/
*How to enjoy your problems*
Accepting your problems is one thing. To enjoy them? Well, that’s pretty
much enlightenment. Here’s how to get there
by Chelsea Harvey Garner

*Need to know*
As a therapist, I’ve found that so much of what I do is about giving
people the space to say what they’re struggling with. It can take them
months. Not to resolve the problems, or even to understand them in a
deep, philosophical sense, but literally just to realise what their
problems are.

This is especially true for people with complicated conundrums,
stressors that are difficult to explain. There’s a special loneliness
reserved for people in this situation – who are facing problems that
seem weird and who worry that, if they let themselves admit how bad
things are and how bad they feel, they’ll realise they’re too messed up
to recover. If you recognise this description, I know how you’re
feeling. I’ve experienced these fears too.

*If you can learn to enjoy your problems, that’s enlightenment*
- -

*Whatever it looks like, your life is worth celebrating*
I first read the phrase ‘enjoy your problems’ in 2017. I was
doom-scrolling Tumblr when I came across a blurry shot of a concrete
wall with those words scrawled in Sharpie. It wasn’t well done enough to
be called graffiti, which enhanced its charm. I was struck by its
simplicity, the way it suggested doing exactly the opposite of what
humans usually do. Most of us spend our lives denying we have problems.
Does it work? Never. But that doesn’t stop us from wasting a lot of time
trying.

After some Googling, I learned that the saying is attributed to the Zen
monk Suzuki Roshi, a teacher who helped popularise Buddhist teachings in
the United States, founded the San Francisco Zen Center, and wrote the
book Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind (1970). In Buddhism, equanimity is one of
the four brahmavihārās or boundless qualities, which are seen as keys to
cultivating an open, awakened state of being. Equanimity, in modern
English, is defined as ‘evenness of mind especially under stress.’

In many mindfulness communities, Buddhist equanimity is interpreted as a
sort of neutrality, a lack of preference about what happens to us: ‘I
could get the job, or not. I could become wealthy, or I could remain
poor. Either will provide opportunities for enlightenment.’ That kind of
thing. Often, though, this receptivity gets mistaken for apathy, which
can make us think that being numbed out and aloof is the ideal.
But in fact, the Buddha described equanimity a bit differently, as a
state of being that is ‘abundant, exalted, immeasurable’. These words
imply a more active, engaged way of being in the world, rather than
simply not caring. But how does one manage to embrace their fate – with
all its inherent problems – surreal as they may be? As a therapist, I’ve
studied what scientists have to say about healing but, more than
anything, I’ve learned the hard way: by wading through my own mess.

If you’re still reading, chances are your life doesn’t look like you
thought it would. Your experience is probably not reflected in anyone’s
social media feed or represented by standard-issue sympathy cards. But
regardless of how sad or strange things have gotten for you, your story
is worth telling. Even with its bewildering side quests and meltdowns on
aisle four, your broken life and your broken heart are worth
celebrating. What if you stopped waiting to arrive at some imaginary
destination where all your problems are solved, and started embracing
your life as it is, today? Here are some tips to help you get there...
- -

    *1. If you can learn to enjoy your problems, that’s enlightenment.
    *Regardless of whether other people get your problems, you have to
    get them. Try to accept your life, absurd as it may be, and find
    some joy in it.

    *2. Don’t judge yourself. It’s one thing to have problems, it’s
    another to blame yourself for having them. *Yet that’s what many of
    us do. Tell yourself the opposite – feel proud.

    *3. Tell your story. Describing, in detail, what you’ve survived can
    empower and energise you. *It can help you recognise what you’re
    capable of.

    *4. Move your body.* In moments of extreme suffering, many ancient
    traditions suggest movement. Dance until you stop thinking about the
    fact that you’re dancing. Not sure how? Start with a tiny movement
    and repeat it for an hour.

    *5. Make something.* You don’t have to make anything brilliant, and
    you don’t ever have to show anyone. Similar to telling your story,
    the act of creative expression is transformative in itself.

    *6. Cry for help.* Vulnerability creates an opening for genuine
    connection. Embracing the full spectrum of feeling makes you
    emotionally available, and others can feel the depth of your presence.

    *7. Pray in your own way*. You don’t have to be religious to pray. I
    see prayer as any act that reminds you of your connection to your
    chosen community, the nonhuman world, and the Universe as a whole.
    Don’t underestimate how much it can shift your perspective and help
    you feel less alone.

    *8.Redefine happiness*. True wellness is less about avoiding
    struggle and more about appreciating the full spectrum of
    experience, from moments of awe to exhilaration and even terror.

- -
/[ Learn more ]/
*Can you take enjoying your problems too far?*
Of course! Anything can be taken too far. Here are some signs that
you’re indulging a bit too much in your sorrow.

    /1. Putting things off. /My patients often worry that if they
    embrace difficult emotions, they’ll get too comfortable with feeling
    bad and lose the impulse to improve their situation. I understand
    this concern but, really, avoiding emotions is more often what keeps
    us in a state of stagnation.

    You don’t have to choose between feeling hard things and taking
    action to better yourself. Finding meaning in pain can be the thing
    that helps us feel ready to move on. That said, if you notice you’re
    consistently putting off tasks that are good for you, it may be a
    sign that you’re heading in an unhealthy direction. If so, reach out
    to a trusted friend or therapist for help getting motivated.

    /2. Isolating./ Solitude can be nourishing, and everyone has
    different social needs. But if you’re going many days without having
    an authentic exchange, or you’re losing contact with people you used
    to be close to, this probably means it’s time to reach out. Let
    someone you trust know how you’re doing and invite them into your
    experience.

    /3. Negative self-talk./ We all have a harsh inner critic at times,
    but enjoying your problems is about loving yourself through hard
    times, not beating yourself up. If you notice your thoughts are
    becoming meaner or more alienating, seek support right away. You
    deserve empathy, both from yourself and from others.

*Links & books*
Whenever someone in a therapy forum asks other therapists for their
favourite book to recommend to patients, a top answer is When Things
Fall Apart (1996) by Pema Chödrön. I’ve given away my copy more times
than I can count.
For a more playful guide to facing existential questions, my book A Pity
Party Is Still a Party (2023) is about making the most of feeling like crap.

Tara Brach is a Buddhist psychologist whose seminal book Radical
Acceptance (2003) offers a practical, compassionate view on how to make
peace with the problems we face.

For a quick perspective on what it means to pray in an unconventional
way, this extract from Anne Lamott’s book Help, Thanks, Wow (2012)
offers a wise, relatable take on spirituality.

https://psyche.co/guides/how-to-enjoy-your-problems-and-reach-enlightenment?

/[The news archive -  ]/
/*March ll, 2009 */
March 11, 2009: MSNBC's Keith Olbermann rips Paul Dellegatto,
meteorologist for Tampa, Florida Fox affiliate WTVT, for failing to
forecast the facts about human-caused climate change:

    "[I]n the middle of a forecast [Dellegatto] declared global warming
    was no longer a threat. [Dellegatto stated,] 'Athens, Georgia, just
    about a week ago, and they had up to half a foot of snow.  Las Vegas
    got snow.  It actually snowed in New Orleans this winter.'
    Dellegatto went on to say the current warming trend peaked in 1998
    and, quote, 'I just think the whole global warming doomsayer theory
    is tough to see, based on recent calculations.'

    "Once again, this is science‘s fault.  Never should have used the
    phrase 'global warming.'  'Weather disaster' would have worked.  The
    mistake was they thought even the dimmer folks would realize during
    global warming, it could get colder from time to time, especially in
    the places where it‘s not supposed to, like Tampa last month, when
    it got down to 28 here.  This guy missed it, obviously because he
    was more worried about putting in global warming denial propaganda
    into the local freaking weather forecast on the local freaking Fox
    station!"

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/countdown/29645384#29645384 NBCNews has
removed this video

   5 weekday
Every weekday morning

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers.  Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli